Anniversary surprise help!

TN_mom5

Earning My Ears
I've been debating all day and I need some reassurance/advice.

I'm surprising my husband with an anniversary cruise on the Dream without the kids. We've always wanted to try an aft-facing cabin but we've never been able to snag one (this will be our 5th cruise) so for this surprise I decided to roll the dice. I booked 5e GTY and I've been fine with the decision until today. Now I'm overthinking it and driving myself nuts! I could pay the same amount for a 5a, pick my cabin and be done with it or hang in there and HOPE we get the aft. What if we get something I could have paid less for if I didn't chance it? They could give me 5 A-D or 4 A-E. I'm hoping getting some other opinions will make me stop obsessing over it. What would you do?

Last edited:
Personally I would always go for picking my own cabin unless it wasn't an option - I'm not a gambler so I feel better choosing something for myself over the chance of an upgrade.

I would always pick my own, but I'm a control freak that way. I need to envision all the details as much as possible. That said, when that choice isn't there, rolling the dice is better than not having any chance.

Also, I don't think they're that much different in price. Think of it like the price of a few lottery tickets... with better odds.

I hate picking my cabin so prefer GTY but know I’m in the minority.. the two times I’ve picked the locations I thought I’d like I didn’t yet have really liked the ones I’ve gotten GTY plus I can get ‘better’ than I’m willing to pay- the last 2 VGT have been 4c & 4a

I always pick my own cabin because I want what I want for various reasons.

While I do see the benefit to saving money if you just don't care, you seem to care and an anniversary trip without the kids seems like a rare occurrence, I'd pay a little extra to have it the way I want it.

I have rooms I love that I try to get on opening day booking, but if I get a good rate on a VGT, I am ok with DCL picking it. I have never been disappointed.

Book concierge and pick your cabin and you won't be disappointed at all. If you forget to arrange something or would just like suggestions, they can make it happen. We once play a trick on our gown daughter. After several years of cruising concierge, we told her that it was not available on this particular cruise. She was disappointed but happy about going and bringing the kids. She pack a bunch of water and snacks for the kids. We tried to get her to leave them but she insisted. When we got to the terminal, we let her have the tickets to check us in. We stayed back a little. As she got to the lady telling everyone which line to get in, the agent advised her that concierge guests were checked in at the back. We will never forget the look on her face when she turned around and saw us laughing. I would bet your husband would be just as surprised. Either way you decide. Have a Great cruise.

Thank you all so much for advice and ideas. Love the concierge story!

I've decided that I'm too much of a control freak for GTY. It was never a money saving option, the 5E guy is actually the same price as a 5A but it was the chance to get the aft facing cabin with extended verandah. I'm just not a roll the dice type of girl I guess. Off to call to get my cabin changed to one of our preferred locations.

Thanks again!

Thank you all so much for advice and ideas. Love the concierge story!

I've decided that I'm too much of a control freak for GTY. It was never a money saving option, the 5E guy is actually the same price as a 5A but it was the chance to get the aft facing cabin with extended verandah. I'm just not a roll the dice type of girl I guess. Off to call to get my cabin changed to one of our preferred locations.

Thanks again!
A shame, but I understand the desire. We are a 5e GTY (again). With just 2 people, chances are you'd get one of the HUUUUUGGGEEEEE Corner rooms. Those only sleep 3 people and really honestly are best for couples. There isn't a dividing curtain to the couch for example. We love 5e cabins for the extra verandah space as we often spend a lot of time on ours, while a little is napping. Hope you enjoy your location though!

I would check back in in the 2 weeks before PIF. We were GTY in the category we wanted but feeling nervous about them changing us to a different category, and a ton of rooms in exactly the category and location we wanted have opened up right before PIF, so we were able to switch with no change in price.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!