Animal Kingdom Wild Africa Trek Tour

You can weigh a maximimum of 310 lbs with the gear on, and we were told directly by the Animal Trek people that the gear weighs between 4 and 5 pounds.

Seriously? Everything I read said it was before they put the vest on you, I know its fully clothed and shoed, but wasn't counting on another 4-5 lbs for the harness.

Can anyone else thats been confirm?

Seriously? Everything I read said it was before they put the vest on you, I know its fully clothed and shoed, but wasn't counting on another 4-5 lbs for the harness.

The fall protection harness is part of the vest. It is a bit heavy. Canvas straps that go around your upper legs and upper torso (in the vest), plus the tether that is hooked to the line above you when you go over the bridge. The connectors on the tether are heavy metal carabiners.

I honestly don't recall if we were weighed before or after putting on the harness. I suggest getting the information from the horses mouth so you don't stress about it. Just call the Disney reservation #.

I honestly don't recall if we were weighed before or after putting on the harness. I suggest getting the information from the horses mouth so you don't stress about it. Just call the Disney reservation #.

We were weighed and then given the fall protection vest and ear piece.

egads,

I just called and spoke with the trek staff and confirmed directly, the pp is correct and weigh in is with the harness on which he conservatively put at 5 lbs (or at least the cut off figure is inclusive of its weight).

He said he tells people the weight limit is 300 lbs but they have some flexibility and can let you go as long as with the gear you are less than 310 lbs. I have to show up at 305 or less to make it, there goes solid food for the next 9 days.

I did talk to him about what happens if I fail. He said I would have the option to not go and get a refund, or my DD and I can do an alternate trek for the first hour with a different guide through Pangani trail, and catch up with the regular trekkers right after the bridges and join them for the rest.

I know you called about the weigh in and they told you, you were weighed with the gear but as another poster said we were weighed first and then had the gear put on. We just did the Trek on Oct. 23. It is kind of assembly line fashion, with weigh in, gear, ear pc., water bottle fill, practice bridge and then gear check, and bug spray/suntan lotion. My DD13 said it was the best thing she has ever done. She loved the bridges and DH who is afraid of heights was unsure if he could do it but he was slow and steady and we were all so proud of him!!!!

pixiedust:for your weight loss. It is such a hard thing to do you should be so proud of yourself!!!!!

I know you called about the weigh in and they told you, you were weighed with the gear but as another poster said we were weighed first and then had the gear put on. We just did the Trek on Oct. 23. It is kind of assembly line fashion, with weigh in, gear, ear pc., water bottle fill, practice bridge and then gear check, and bug spray/suntan lotion. My DD13 said it was the best thing she has ever done. She loved the bridges and DH who is afraid of heights was unsure if he could do it but he was slow and steady and we were all so proud of him!!!!

pixiedust:for your weight loss. It is such a hard thing to do you should be so proud of yourself!!!!!

Same with us on the bridge height. But when I crossed over, I was studying the boards I had to step on so intently, that I really wasn't aware I was 35 feet above the crocodiles. We have several photos of me on the CD with my head down studying the boards.

Deb & Bill said:
Same with us on the bridge height. But when I crossed over, I was studying the boards I had to step on so intently, that I really wasn't aware I was 35 feet above the crocodiles. We have several photos of me on the CD with my head down studying the boards.

I, on the other hand, was so busy snapping pics while I walked that I missed a board and landed hard and wrenched my arm on the rope railing. Watch where you step, and stop to take pics and look around. ;)

About the scales, I'm not sure if they weight light or heavy. You can't really see the read out and the cm did not announce a weight.

Again, they are very discrete on the weigh-in.

I really want to do this tour, but the thought of weighing in public has me concerned - can someone describe how they make it all so discrete? Do you just hop on a scale, can't see your weight, guide says thanks go here next?

I just called and signed up for this tour, going solo Monday the 10th at 9:30, I am really excited about doing the tour.
I forgot to ask though when I booked, where do you go to meet for the tour ?

helenk said:
I just called and signed up for this tour, going solo Monday the 10th at 9:30, I am really excited about doing the tour.
I forgot to ask though when I booked, where do you go to meet for the tour ?

At the Dawi Bar by Tusker House. There's a check-in area at the back of the bar.

I really want to do this tour, but the thought of weighing in public has me concerned - can someone describe how they make it all so discrete? Do you just hop on a scale, can't see your weight, guide says thanks go here next?

You walk up, one by one, to get weighed. The scale is away from the main group, so noone else (besides the CM) can see you weight. I recall it being private. Everyone is excited about getting ready for the tour, the last thing on people's minds are how much anyone else weighs.

You walk up, one by one, to get weighed. The scale is away from the main group, so noone else (besides the CM) can see you weight. I recall it being private. Everyone is excited about getting ready for the tour, the last thing on people's minds are how much anyone else weighs.

Yep, you step on the scale, but the results are on a small pad at the CM's eye level facing away from you. It's a one at a time thing. No one else will be able to see the results. Kind of like the scale at Fed Ex or the Post Office or the airport. Only the clerk sees the results.

Honestly I don't even remember the weighing. I'm sure we did it. It just doesn't stand out so it couldn't have been a huge deal.

My current understanding is they weigh you physically without the gear, but to pass your total weight with the gear MUST be below 310 lbs. The CM said the guideline is actually 300 lbs, but if you are over that they have a little bit of wiggle room as long as with the gear you are under 310.

We talked about it a little bit and he said the harnesses were 4-5 lbs, and I confirmed then that as long as I weighed in clothed and shoed at 305 lbs or less I should be ok, he agreed.

Should note that linked review says the weight limit is 350 lbs, that is not correct and misinformation like that has made it difficult to find out the real rules.

Yep, you step on the scale, but the results are on a small pad at the CM's eye level facing away from you. It's a one at a time thing. No one else will be able to see the results. Kind of like the scale at Fed Ex or the Post Office or the airport. Only the clerk sees the results.

This is the way I remember it too. I was a bit nervous, but I honestly think their scale runs light. They were very discrete and did not make a fuss about anything. Also, if you can, dress in lightweight clothes. That can make a surprising difference sometimes. They did weigh us with the gear already on too.

Down to 308 lbs with 6 days to go, its going to be close!

I am thinking of shaving my head and beard.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter