Animal Kingdom Wild Africa Trek Tour

We are booked for this a week from tomorrow. I just have one other question and that is do we tip the guide? :)

Bump

I would also like to know this.

I have never heard of anyone tipping the guides. We went at the end of Sept. and no one in our group (as far as I could determine) tipped the guides.

I have never heard of anyone tipping the guides. We went at the end of Sept. and no one in our group (as far as I could determine) tipped the guides.

we didn't.. I didn't see anyone else do it either.. your stuff is away and there are two guides. When we left they seemed to be distant and not really around as one would be expecting a tip. I didn't even occur to me! I hope that was the norm. :confused3

My daughter and I have reservations to do this tour in 14 days (+/- 90 minutes from now). I would really appreciate it if anyone could help with the following:

1. What counts as "closed toe" shoes?
2. How strict is the weight limit enforced?

I booked the tour 6 months ago when I was over 360 lbs. My weight is now 311.4 lbs, and I am still planning to do lose 4 more lbs in the next 2 weeks, but getting nervous. I have literally been training for nothing but qualifying for this tour.

I have picked out the outfit I intend to wear that day. In order to reduce "shoe weight" I purchased what I believe to be the lightest close toed shoes available (FILA "skeletoes"), they are a hard sole covered in neoprene, they were advertised as ultralight weight trail running shoes. They look a bit like a cross between a pair of crocs and a pair of water shoes. I don't want to get there and be told my shoes aren't sufficient, nor do I want to have to switch to my other shoes (which were 1.2 lbs heavier).

Any guidance? I am really getting nervous (and incredibly hungry).

My daughter and I have reservations to do this tour in 14 days (+/- 90 minutes from now). I would really appreciate it if anyone could help with the following:

1. What counts as "closed toe" shoes?
2. How strict is the weight limit enforced?

I booked the tour 6 months ago when I was over 360 lbs. My weight is now 311.4 lbs, and I am still planning to do lose 4 more lbs in the next 2 weeks, but getting nervous. I have literally been training for nothing but qualifying for this tour.

I have picked out the outfit I intend to wear that day. In order to reduce "shoe weight" I purchased what I believe to be the lightest close toed shoes available (FILA "skeletoes"), they are a hard sole covered in neoprene, they were advertised as ultralight weight trail running shoes. They look a bit like a cross between a pair of crocs and a pair of water shoes. I don't want to get there and be told my shoes aren't sufficient, nor do I want to have to switch to my other shoes (which were 1.2 lbs heavier).

Any guidance? I am really getting nervous (and incredibly hungry).

Closed toes shoes - no flip flips/open sandals. Keens are ok because they have a closed toe.
8212_CARI_keen-footwear_s.jpg

Frankly, I would call them and ask about the FILA. If you aren't used to wearing them, I wouldn't wear them for that event. You need something with a good sole because the terrain, etc. isn't level and you are going across rope bridges. You need something you can definitely maneuver in.

Drink lots of water the day before or so and watch your salt intake 2-3 days out and you should be fine and help you meet your goal for the Trek! Good for you!!!

Closed toes shoes - no flip flips/open sandals. Keens are ok because they have a closed toe.
8212_CARI_keen-footwear_s.jpg

Frankly, I would call them and ask about the FILA. If you aren't used to wearing them, I wouldn't wear them for that event. You need something with a good sole because the terrain, etc. isn't level and you are going across rope bridges. You need something you can definitely maneuver in.

Drink lots of water the day before or so and watch your salt intake 2-3 days out and you should be fine and help you meet your goal for the Trek! Good for you!!!

Thanks, they are actually ridiculously comfortable, much more so than the boat shoes I was planning on wearing. I do intend to break them in a bit beforehand. Here's a pic -
pDSP1-11614720p275w.jpg

My DD is 8 and is super excited about the tour, the thought of disappointing her has really been motivating me to keep going.

I don't really have anything to add, just wanted to say that my Mom and I will be doing this tour three weeks from tomorrow! :banana: Very excited about it!

I would also like to hear from anyone else who already took the tour and was worried about the weigh in, or even if possible anyone who did not make it and how it was handled on site.

gwmort said:
I would also like to hear from anyone else who already took the tour and was worried about the weigh in, or even if possible anyone who did not make it and how it was handled on site.

Not sure how its handled on this tour but Disney is very strict about weight requirements. It is a liability issue based on the equipment and CMs have no flexibility.

Not sure how its handled on this tour but Disney is very strict about weight requirements. It is a liability issue based on the equipment and CMs have no flexibility.

I read a report somewhere that a gentleman weighed over and they let him go on the tour but had to transport him by jeep around the rope bridge parts. I definitely don't want to miss anything, but I'd really like to hear from anyone with similar experiences.

In that particular scenario I also don't know if they would let my DD8 do the bridges without me (shes really looking forward to it).

gwmort said:
I read a report somewhere that a gentleman weighed over and they let him go on the tour but had to transport him by jeep around the rope bridge parts. I definitely don't want to miss anything, but I'd really like to hear from anyone with similar experiences.

In that particular scenario I also don't know if they would let my DD8 do the bridges without me (shes really looking forward to it).

Interesting question. Since kids have to be accompanied by an adult, I would bet not. They wouldn't want a situation where a kid freaked out with the parent not there.

My DS8 loved the bridges. :)

Interesting question. Since kids have to be accompanied by an adult, I would bet not. They wouldn't want a situation where a kid freaked out with the parent not there.

My DS8 loved the bridges. :)

not sure how they would handle that. there is really no place once you get to the bridge to board any type of vehicle to take you around the bridges:confused3 you are on a higher part of a hill looking down at the safari vehicles in the woods. there is a "weigh in" they are very discrete about it but there is no mistaking that you are stepping on a scale. I know when we signed up the CM said there is a "strict" weight limit. Also make sure you endurance is up. the walks are not far but they are up and down hills and there are tree roots sticking up in areas.. not difficult walking but you have to be cautious around some areas. just enough to be adventurous without being super dangerous. good luck meeting your goal! you have come so far! :)

I did this tour with my 8 and 9 year old sons. Everybody loved it. My 9 year old is more anxiety prone, and was very worried about the bridges and the heights, but he did great. In fact, it made the tour even better for him, sa he was ridiculously proud of himself. Before you head out, they have everyone cross a "trial" bridge that is short and low to the ground, so you can make sure you're ok with it.

The hippos were fantastic, a real highlight of the tour to be so close to them and have so much interaction time. They still harnessed you up as if you were going to the "lean out and over" thing I'd read in the press releases when this tour was first announced, but by the time we went, that was not happening. The harness just let you feel more confident close to the edge and added to the drama.

Everyone also gets a little earpiece, so you can hear the guide without the guide having to speak especially loudly (to avoid spooking animals you hope to get close to). My kids loved that aspect too -- the vest, the harnesses, the ear piece -- it was all very dramatic.

The first half of the tour is on foot and crosses bridges, and then you get in the back of a safari truck for the remainder of the trip. The food as people have already mentioned was great; there are also nice bathroom facilities at the lunch spot.

The CD does include stock photos from the tour as well as pictures from your tour. The trek photographer does a good job of making sure everyone is featured several times.

On my tour, my kids were the only kids. It was just the right length for us. We got to see a lot, but if it had been any longer, one of my kids would have gotten bored (his brother and I could have spent the whole day tromping around behind the scenes). We intend to go back on a future trip, when my youngest is finally old enough.

not sure how they would handle that. there is really no place once you get to the bridge to board any type of vehicle to take you around the bridges:confused3 you are on a higher part of a hill looking down at the safari vehicles in the woods. there is a "weigh in" they are very discrete about it but there is no mistaking that you are stepping on a scale. I know when we signed up the CM said there is a "strict" weight limit. Also make sure you endurance is up. the walks are not far but they are up and down hills and there are tree roots sticking up in areas.. not difficult walking but you have to be cautious around some areas. just enough to be adventurous without being super dangerous. good luck meeting your goal! you have come so far! :)

Thank you. I know the weight limit is strict and I understand it is for safety reasons and I don't want anyone to bend the rules.

I'd like to know if anyone knows if the scale runs high or low. If my bathroom scale shows me at 309 lbs that morning fully dressed is there a risk the CM's scale will show me at 311? and of course I want to have some idea of what to expect if the worst happens.

My father in law has offered to take my DD in my place if it comes to it, but it would break my heart.

Update:

10 days to go until our trek and I finally weighed in this morning at 310.0 on the dot (after losing more than 50 lbs specifically for this tour). I've got another week to try to build in a margin of error for the scale but everything is looking pretty good right now.

Update:

10 days to go until our trek and I finally weighed in this morning at 310.0 on the dot (after losing more than 50 lbs specifically for this tour). I've got another week to try to build in a margin of error for the scale but everything is looking pretty good right now.

Congratulations on your weight loss, sounds like you had a great motivation in wanting to with your dd on the tour.

About the scales, I'm not sure if they weight light or heavy. You can't really see the read out and the cm did not announce a weight. Sounds like you are going to be fine.

Have fun!

Update:

You should be so proud of yourself. Your dedication for your daughter is pushing me over the edge to do this. I was lucky to go on the Trek with my sister as went with her when she had a conference this past October. The trip was beyond what I hoped. I kept thinking that my youngest dd (10) would love being a tour guide/animal keeper some day. Your devotion really makes me want to do this on our next family trip so I am saving starting today.

Again, they are very discrete on the weigh-in. The walk and the bridge are not difficult but there are roots and such on the trail so just wear shoes that you have experience in and you could see working on such a trail. You will love it. Also, once the tour is off the bridges and into the safari truck about half way through, that is pretty cool too. I'm not sure which have I liked better. I loved teh hippos and gators under the bridges but my favorite part was seeing the baby white rhino born this past summer and that was on the safari tour. Part of the admission cost goes to animal conservation and you get to chose which animal you prefer or just the general conservation fund. The whole group of 10 that I was on all chose white rhinos.

Congratulations again on your accomplishment! :cheer2::cheer2:

Update:

Let me add my voice of congratulations!

My husband was faced with a similar challenge. We were there Oct 16-31. In July I asked my husband if he could reach the weight maximum in order for us both to go on the Trek. It was my birthday and I really wanted to do it together.

He was fantastic! He really changed his eating habits, walked more (training for Disney, we called it), and met his goal.

He lost 31 lbs to do the Trek. He was really worried about it as the day neared, though, and I can tell you what we found out.

You can weigh a maximimum of 310 lbs with the gear on, and we were told directly by the Animal Trek people that the gear weighs between 4 and 5 pounds.

My husband weighed 296 lbs before the gear! He was on a high all that day! It definitely is a great motivator! Good luck! I know you will make it!!!:thumbsup2

By the way, I was very proud of my husband, and you should be very proud of yourself for your accomplishment.

The weigh in is very discreet, but we actually arrived a bit earlier, were the first ones there, and they took us back to weigh-in before anyone arrived because we shared our nervousness about meeting the weight maximum with them.

They are an awesome group who coordinate the Trek! Very supportive, and very understanding.....:goodvibes

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter