Animal Kingdom or Boulder Ridge?

It must have been someone else, we are still waiting on the right contract. I'm really leaning towards BRV first then AKL after we pay that one off in a year or so. But there's nothing on the resale markets! Fingers crossed the right contract pops up SOON! :) Good luck with ROFR!!
So sorry! Wrong person lol! That sounds like a great plan and we might do something similar. I really wanted BR for the 11 month advantage during the month of December. There is nothing like WL at Christmas time! Good luck looking for the right contract! ❤️

It must have been someone else, we are still waiting on the right contract. I'm really leaning towards BRV first then AKL after we pay that one off in a year or so. But there's nothing on the resale markets! Fingers crossed the right contract pops up SOON! :) Good luck with ROFR!!
There’s a lot BRV just sitting on the market some have been there for more than a month. I’d put in offers of $100 pp.

My contract that I’m waiting for ROFR is for $100 per point. Do you think that’s a good deal? I hope we made the right choice! It’s a 240 point contract.
I think that’s a great deal, BRV is the outlier for the 2042 resorts since it now has CCV to compete with for sales. Its a steal at $100 the way prices are right now. It’s going to be updated soon too.

we bid 98.00 on 170 and got it, just waiting to close!
You are the one I was looking for to ask if it passed ROFR! It truly is a small world after all! 🤣🤣🤣
I was thinking if yours passes at 98 then mine has a good chance at 100! Congratulations! Mine was sent on 5/28 and im stilling waiting to hear if it passed.

We like BVR as well, but that 2042 expiration date is a real deal breaker. In 20 years, a BVR contract will be worthless, and all the money you paid lost. So the cost of the vacations you took over the years would be the purchase price of the contracts plus the yearly maintenance fees.

The resorts with later expiration dates will still have value, and you could potentially sell the contracts for what you paid, or more, in 2042 or later. Assuming you got the purchase price back if wind up selling (or even a good percentage thereof), the cost of your vacations would be substantially cheaper…just the maintenance fees. And that’s not even counting the 30 years of additional vacations you could take at a newer resort like CCV.

Even with the studio issues, I’d go with CCV. And, who knows, over time your preference might switch to the easier to book one bedrooms.

You are the one I was looking for to ask if it passed ROFR! It truly is a small world after all! 🤣🤣🤣
I was thinking if yours passes at 98 then mine has a good chance at 100! Congratulations! Mine was sent on 5/28 and im stilling waiting to hear if it passed.
yes we passed on May31st! and waiting to close tomorrow I think!

We like BVR as well, but that 2042 expiration date is a real deal breaker. In 20 years, a BVR contract will be worthless, and all the money you paid lost. So the cost of the vacations you took over the years would be the purchase price of the contracts plus the yearly maintenance fees.

The resorts with later expiration dates will still have value, and you could potentially sell the contracts for what you paid, or more, in 2042 or later. Assuming you got the purchase price back if wind up selling (or even a good percentage thereof), the cost of your vacations would be substantially cheaper…just the maintenance fees. And that’s not even counting the 30 years of additional vacations you could take at a newer resort like CCV.

Even with the studio issues, I’d go with CCV. And, who knows, over time your preference might switch to the easier to book one bedrooms.
we are 50 and want the 2042 expiration. We owned a OKW 2042 for a while and used it but always stayed at BRV or CCV or other DVC but never OKW. So selling that and rebuying in at BRV is ok by us. We dont want the burden of a longer contract for our kids to deal with, having to rent points out if not using them, pay the MF's, or going through the process to sell the contract. We just want to pay the MF's on this one and ride it out and be done with it. and as we get older we can rent a place for a month or 2 and tack on a week onsite with this 170pt contract. Works for us!

How many points are you looking to buy? Could you buy two contracts and alternate by borrowing/banking?

we have the same loves as you. We bought BRV first despite the shorter expiration, because we have two teenage boys who won’t share a bed, and the studios that sleep 5 appeal to us. We also love BRV. We figure 23 years was still a long time (when we bought).

We then added on at AKV because AKV is our second love; the 1BRs truly sleep 5 and have a second bathroom, but it also has a longer expiration.

We then did finally add on at CCV once we realized we’d be sad not to have the Wilderness Lodge advantage in retirement, and we’d want a shot at studios to extend the length of time we could winter in Disney. Also, we could pass these along to our kids.

So I’d be in favor of getting points at both! If only one and the expiration doesn’t matter, go BRV - it’s harder to book certain times of year and it’s clear you love the location.

we are 50 and want the 2042 expiration. We owned a OKW 2042 for a while and used it but always stayed at BRV or CCV or other DVC but never OKW. So selling that and rebuying in at BRV is ok by us. We dont want the burden of a longer contract for our kids to deal with, having to rent points out if not using them, pay the MF's, or going through the process to sell the contract. We just want to pay the MF's on this one and ride it out and be done with it. and as we get older we can rent a place for a month or 2 and tack on a week onsite with this 170pt contract. Works for us!
I'm with you as we have discussed before. I'm 47 and husband is 63 and we do not have any kids so we needed a shorter contract hence the BRV. I prefer the location and shorter transportation times for BRV (plus the holiday décor). We also spend a lot of time at BWV and have a small 50 point contract there as well due to location. Research shows that the average person tends to sell their contact somewhere between 20-30 years after they buy it so shorter contracts seem to be logical.

I'm with you as we have discussed before. I'm 47 and husband is 63 and we do not have any kids so we needed a shorter contract hence the BRV. I prefer the location and shorter transportation times for BRV (plus the holiday décor). We also spend a lot of time at BWV and have a small 50 point contract there as well due to location. Research shows that the average person tends to sell their contact somewhere between 20-30 years after they buy it so shorter contracts seem to be logical.
agree!! and when we get older than dirt and if we are able to travel still we would likely rent a longer term place offsite. If we think the resale process is buying and selling is stressful now... we dont want to even burden our kids with it. And they have grown up with Disney!

I am a DVC newbie researching our first ever contact! To say I'm excited is an understatement. The podcast and blog are fantastic resources. I have made a lot of spreadsheets while collecting data, and I am down to two resorts that I am debating between when factoring in price/location.

Animal Kingdom Lodge: I love the resort after going there on two different occasions to eat. I really like the longer contract (we're in our late 30s) and my husband could watch giraffes all day long :). But the location isn't my favorite compared to my other top choice.

Boulder Ridge: I absolutely love Wilderness, especially the food (Geyser Grill is my favorite QS) and the proximity to Magic Kingdom (we have a 2 and 10 year old). The shorter contract worries me though, and I feel like even though I would prefer this resort, it isn't as great of a value.

Any advice/thoughts from you experts?

AKL! They sleep 5 and KV has 2 Full bathrooms in the one bedroom. It's far yes, but as DVC members you go more and if I had to do a resort only day or even a whole trip, listen to Pete and pick the "freaking savannah"!!!

I would repeat what everyone else here has been saying about the AKL (3 great on-site restaurants and a QS location, feeling like you are away and enjoying the resort on some days, and etc...). The thing is while those benefits might be great benefits to others are they beneficial to your situation? I am researching AKL as well now and for our situation these benefits get a heavier weight because they are applicable to us whereas being close to the MK is great; however, it is not weighted as heavily.

One other thing; is the price differences I am seeing between resale and direct have been closing (i.e. resales prices for AKL are climbing). If it is in the budget and AKL is your pick, you could explore going direct and avoid some hassles and get the next vacation booked. The price difference becomes even less when you consider the following:

1. Allot of AKL contracts I see are stripped. Get the right UY and you will get a loaded contract with UY20 points you do not have to pay MFs for

2. Many sellers are looking for the buyer to pay all UY21 MFs. Go direct and Disney will pro-rate the MFs for UY21

Good luck!

I would repeat what everyone else here has been saying about the AKL (3 great on-site restaurants and a QS location, feeling like you are away and enjoying the resort on some days, and etc...). The thing is while those benefits might be great benefits to others are they beneficial to your situation? I am researching AKL as well now and for our situation these benefits get a heavier weight because they are applicable to us whereas being close to the MK is great; however, it is not weighted as heavily.

One other thing; is the price differences I am seeing between resale and direct have been closing (i.e. resales prices for AKL are climbing). If it is in the budget and AKL is your pick, you could explore going direct and avoid some hassles and get the next vacation booked. The price difference becomes even less when you consider the following:

1. Allot of AKL contracts I see are stripped. Get the right UY and you will get a loaded contract with UY20 points you do not have to pay MFs for

2. Many sellers are looking for the buyer to pay all UY21 MFs. Go direct and Disney will pro-rate the MFs for UY21

Good luck!

We were looking at this too. We ended up finding the right for us contact resale but at $186 a point direct its not too bad, especially if its loaded with only some MF. With ALK climbing on the resale side, I would have been more inclined to go direct. I can also see a direct price increase coming soon and likely another sizable one after the 2023ish refurb that is needed.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter