And so the complaints begin...

Oh my gosh! Thank you ALL for your sweet words of encouragement! I feel better already. :goodvibes

You are right - we need to do what we want or we will always regret it. I used to say the same thing to brides in similar predicaments. It's just so hard to maintain perspective when it happens to you!

So, thank you all! And if nobody says they'll come, I'll be opening up the invitations to all my friends on the DIS :rotfl:

Oh my gosh! Thank you ALL for your sweet words of encouragement! I feel better already. :goodvibes

You are right - we need to do what we want or we will always regret it. I used to say the same thing to brides in similar predicaments. It's just so hard to maintain perspective when it happens to you!

So, thank you all! And if nobody says they'll come, I'll be opening up the invitations to all my friends on the DIS :rotfl:

you laugh now...but we'lll be waiting...:rolleyes1

lurkyloo-That's 2 people already. Sorry guys but Michelle and I got first dibbs
:dancer:

Oh don't worry.
We had a lot of people being PITA's about us getting married at disney and honestly GOOD!
*laughs* Less people to feed, cheeper the wedding, more money for the honeymoon.
hehehehehe
Also you would be surprised how many people show.
We invited about 200 and 100 attended.
I know living in Fl probably has a lot to do with it but oh well.

We had the same problem except the only people objecting are my DF's mother's family. Anyway, I thought this might be helpful. It's the text that we put in our first newsletter that we sent out once we told people about our wedding.

"Kris and Vanessa understand that there are a lot of questions concerning the
wedding. Since both have small immediate families they decided that a big
wedding was not for them. They wanted to have time to spend with their
closest family and friends in the days leading up to the wedding.
The destination was chosen as a convenient location that is affordable for
travel. Whether their guests want to enjoy golf, water sports, shopping, or
theme parks Orlando is one of the entertainment meccas of the world.

The Walt Disney Resort (WDW) was chosen for its superior level of service
to its guests. The resort itself is completely self-contained and is 47 square
miles. Guests will not need a rental car since free transportation is provided
to and from the Orlando International Airport. In addition, each hotel features
a food court, restaurant, and several include room service options.
The entire resort is the size of Manhattan and is completely self-contained.
Guests can choose to spend the entire weekend within the resort area without ever venturing into Orlando.

The wedding weekend will provide a relaxing get away for all of the guests
and will give everyone a time to bond and to have a good time prior to the
big day!"

:grouphug: It will be ok!

FMIL at first was not very happy about a DFTW -- she almost started crying!! We had mentioned that we were thinking about doing it and she always said to do whatever we wanted, but when we actually told her we were having one, she was upset. FFIL was also not happy. We think it was because none of his family (brother and sister) would be able to come. Of course, DF said that was a good thing about having it at WDW. :rotfl: Now, however, they are both REALLY REALLY excited about it.

On a side note, we just got our BEO today. It wasn't that bad actually (especially after we cut some stuff out). As I was going through it, I was thinking wow, look at all this cool stuff I can get for the same price as having a wedding at home! This is awesome!

I'm sure everything will work out!

Remember its YOUR WEDDING.. You do what you want... If some ppl cant come... Loss for them for not being able to be apart of your special day..Dont let ppl put you down about the most WONDERFUL day of your life

I kinds know what you are going through...my sister in law wanted to have her 2009 wedding in WDW but her mother told her it was childish, selfish, unsophisticated and too far away for everyone to travel.

Can you believe the nerve of some people??? She has still not decided what she wants to do. I hope she puts her foot down so we can go and see a WDW wedding for ourselves! I think it is a fantastic place to hold a wedding and I wish we had done so.

Why, why when you mention Disney, somebody has to go and rain on your Disney Parade?! :confused3

"You cannot please everyone, so stop trying."

"This is YOUR (you and your husband's) day."

Some advice I got when I was planning my wedding (not AT Disney, but Disney-themed). You would not believe the collective "groan" I heard when I told people there was going to be some Disney-inspired elements at our wedding. When it comes to Disney, people will always use this as ammo to make fun of my DH and I. I used to be so self-conscious about it that I wouldn't tell anyone anything at all. But then I realized I didn't need their approval. It was so liberating! Now when people go all Anti-Disney on me, I make sure I flaunt it in their face when I'm around in a happy-go-lucky sort of way, all innocent-like.:angel: If Disney makes you happy, go for it!!!!!

Thanks for the encouragement you guys! We told DF's parents tonight and they seemed really excited, so that helps! But so far nobody we've invited gets President's Day off - the whole reason we picked that holiday was so people would only need to take the Tuesday off work.

Now I'm thinking we should switch to Martin Luther King Jr. Day, but that would put us only 5 months out from the wedding :scared:

What do you think? Am I still too worried about accommodating everyone?

Thanks for the encouragement you guys! We told DF's parents tonight and they seemed really excited, so that helps! But so far nobody we've invited gets President's Day off - the whole reason we picked that holiday was so people would only need to take the Tuesday off work.

Now I'm thinking we should switch to Martin Luther King Jr. Day, but that would put us only 5 months out from the wedding :scared:

Choosing a day to keep people from having to take extra days off work is a better thing than changing locations to please people. I'd be surprised though if there was much open on MLK as I'd think other people might have had the same idea. You could always check on that and then talk to DF about it.
My only thought would be - for our wedding, almost everyone that was coming was making a week long trip out of it, so it wouldnt' have mattered. Ask some of the peopel that have responded positively and see if they think they might stay longer than a long weekend.

I love how considerate you are trying to be for the sake of everyone else. but like I said before, bottom line is you should go ahead with what you and your DF are most comfortable with. we really rocked the boat with deciding to get married on Halloween of this year which by the way falls on a Wednesday. my sister is still saying to everyone "can you believe she's getting married on a Wednesday??!!" and then laughing. but the truth of the matter is WE wanted to get married on Halloween and if no one would have been able to attend, we still would be getting married on Halloween! because for the rest of our lives, that is our wedding anniversary... we gave our invitees plenty of notice and they are all attending. I even have 3 teachers who are taking time off in the middle of the week to attend.

so take heart, sit and talk with your DF and decide what is best for you both...sending you both lots of pixiedust: and :cheer2: !

Michelle :cloud9:

lurkyloo,

You are such a sweetie! :goodvibes You are working so hard to accomodate everyone else, just don't forget to accomodate you and DH. I know it's wonderful to be surrounded by family and friends on your wedding day, but that day is about you and your DF.

Best wishes for your planning to go smoothly!:goodvibes

I'd do yourselves and your guests a favour, and stick with your date.
You don't want to feel rushed, your hotel rooms will be cheaper, and the parks will be much less busy if you avoid President's day.

Many people have pre-conceived ideas that Disneyworld is just for kids. They think it's just characters and the theme parks. Do remind your guests it's so much more than that and has all the amenities a regular resort would offer as well. As other's have mentioned though it's your day and your wedding, make it what you want regardless of what others think. Some may have negative things to say at first but I'm sure after a vacation to the World for your special day they will feel differently. Best of luck! :)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter