And so the complaints begin...

lurkyloo

The Attic was just perfect!
Well, we've begun breaking the news to people that we're getting married at Walt Disney World, and so far we're 0 for 2. From my dad we got stony silence. From my brother (who I'd asked to be my attendant) we got "you couldn't have picked any place more inconvenient/nobody will come." (This is the man who got married in The Middle of Nowhere, Maine and didn't invite anybody from his family - just college buddies).

Help! I need some virtual hand-holding.... :sad2:

Good thing it's not THEIR wedding, right?

Not everyone loves Disney, so its going to sound weird to some. Just keep your chin up. You know you're going to have a beautiful wedding, and those that are smart enough to come will love it.

Inconvenient? Yeah, a city with two airports and a gajillion hotel rooms is super-inconvenient.

Keep smiling, the negative people like to respond first it seems.

It's your wedding. Do what makes you happy. You only get the wedding of your dreams once :D

when my fiance and I first decided on a disney wedding, we broke the news at a dinner with his extended famil, the first thing his aunt said "i hate disney world" the only comment back at the time was "well, we like disney and thats where we are going to have it" his mother also got up from her chair and started dancing b/c she "finally gets to see the mouse"

We actually changed our plans because our family reacted so poorly to us announcing a Disney wedding. Then we realized that we were never going to make even the majority of our families happy (we picked 5 locations). We are back to Disney. Plan what you want and they will come if they!

Well, we've begun breaking the news to people that we're getting married at Walt Disney World, and so far we're 0 for 2. From my dad we got stony silence. From my brother (who I'd asked to be my attendant) we got "you couldn't have picked any place more inconvenient/nobody will come." (This is the man who got married in The Middle of Nowhere, Maine and didn't invite anybody from his family - just college buddies).

Help! I need some virtual hand-holding.... :sad2:

I know I am going to run into the same problems! It's your special day and you are the only one who is going to remember every detail of it so do what makes you happy!

Yea this will be your one big day dont let anybody ruin it and make you feel bad

Ditto! Your wedding is about you and your FH, no one else. No matter what you pick, there's alway someone who is going to complain. In 20 years you don't want to look back on your wedding and wish that you had stuck with your original plans. Go with your gut. If Disney is going to make the two of your happy, then that's all that matters.

I had a lot of mixed fellings about disney and if people would be upset. The 1st thing my FMIL said was.."oh, I will be sure to send a card" but we went through with it anyway and now she is really coming (She would never admit it but I think she is looking forward to it!):rolleyes: Do what you want and the people who really matter and really care about you will show up. As for the others...would you really want to spend your big day with them anyway?

Keep smiling. Its your wedding. All that matter is what you and your DF want. We had some trouble with people wanting it to be in Ca and not in Fl. But they had to just get over it.

See we live in Ca and my DF family lives in Canada. So his family wanted to come here. Well thats not where the wedding is and thats why DF told them.

Keep your head up high, don't let them get to you and do what you want. Its your day.

follow your heart - in the end, it's you and your husband so do what will make the two of you happy! lots of the brides here are doing very small ceremonies with just themselves and a couple of family members - a few are even just having themselves! and then you could have a post wedding celebration for all those who couldn't join you if you'd like. many of us (me included) are following that path...

like I said - follow your heart :hug:

Michelle :cloud9:

I got a very similar response from FIL's. But it has worked out...and they are all coming. In fact, I think my FSIL is actually excited about coming to Disney!

It is your wedding and you should follow your dreams. Your family/friends will come around and you will have a magical day!

Dont get discouraged!!!!

coming from a bride that had only 2 other people attend,,...its not about the party, its about the couple;)

Plan it like i did.....if they come, they come...either way im gonna have a great time....& we did

i hope it gets better & maybe its just the initial shock...maybe they will come around...GL

I'm getting mixed reviews about it, too. But, my family is starting to come around. Just remember it's your special day and you two should do it for you guys! It's nice to celebrate with family but I say HMPH to those naysayers! :goodvibes :hug:

Getting mixed reveiws and people changing their minds is the norm for a dftw.

But stick to your guns!!! I think many of us have turned a blind eye to what family/member and friends think because we know they will smirk and critisize no matter where our wedding is.

Tip: remind them that you'd really like them to make a family vacation out of it, and a destination wedding will be a great way to do that.:thumbsup2

I totally understand you. When I told my uncle our plans, he just said 'You should better get married on a cruise, by the captain' :snooty: . So, I guess I'll just NOT invite him :)
We are planing an escape wedding, so anyway we'll keep the guests to a minumum :rolleyes1

just think this is your day and nobody elses. It is something that you will remember for the rest of your life and nobody should make you feel guilty. My fiances sister and neice aren't coming to our disney wedding and he is devastated but he said that there is no way he is going to stop it.

Do what you want and how you want it, don't let people (family or friends) tell you what you should be doing.

lurkyloo,

Stick to your guns, those that dis the mouse have not truly experienced the magic of Disney. This is your wedding and if the mouse is what you want, then I say by all means, go and get it! I will be getting the same reaction from my family for my VR next year. They think Disney is "just for kids" I keep arguing with them to no avail. I figure it's their loss. They seem to think Mickey himself is going to perform the ceremony. :confused3

Just plan your wedding, your way, and soak all the moments in.:grouphug:

Lurkyloo - virtual hugs are coming your way! I hope they come around. Good luck!

its your wedding day so do want you want to do and dont worry about anyone else, its yours and fh day

I just never understand that. Weddings aren't planned for guests- it's about a couple! As the others have said- plan what you want, where you want- if folks come great, if not, not much you can do about it.

Hugs!!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!