And all at once, everything was different. Literally. *WDW NYE 2019 TR* Updated 4/11x2*COMPLETE*

Discussion in 'Disney Trip Reports' started by xlsm, Jan 6, 2019.

1. NJlauren

NJlauren DIS Veteran

Thanks for sharing your amazing trip with us!

2. PlutosRHM55

PlutosRHM55 Pluto's Prince (Haters back off!)

And it's over. Sadness. Glad it was overall a good trip and I hope you'll be able to watch the fireworks from atop the treehouse one day! :goodvibes

3. Avatar

Advertisement

4. disneyAndi14

disneyAndi14 DIS Veteran

The burger looks really delicious!

I have always wondered about this on the menu, I would get this if I ever go to GF cafe!

This is so true! I always tell Andi look at those people how dare they be so happy just starting their vacation haha!

My favorite. I was sad when it was gone from Aloha Isle! So glad it is back

That is wonderful! Holidays and Spring break can be scary! Glad you learned what didn’t work the year before and had a better plan!

I agree totally! Thank you for the fun report, I will be waiting for the next one!

5. Grumpy's Wife

Grumpy's Wife Dollar Tree gal here

I loved reading your trip report. Thanks so much for sharing.

6. suse66

suse66 Mickey Bars should be a daily food group!

deleted due to error

Last edited: Apr 11, 2019
  7. suse66

We dined there in 2010 and absolutely LOVED it. It is an one of a kind experience, very elegant but not stuffy. The staff really make you feel comfortable. The food is beyond amazing. I would definitely go for it if you have an opportunity to do so.

8. JAMIESMITH

JAMIESMITH DIS Veteran

I very much enjoyed your trip report. The Polynesian will always be our #1!

9. suse66

Now I want to make a bunch of those tea cup cosies!

Love this pin!

That looks yummy!

Pretty uninspired plating......and one sad strawberry? What's up with that?

Your meals look awesome!

I need those pens in my life!

yummy!

It totally is the bench of shame!

Yes, I know and I feel exactly the same. It is my happiest of all happy places. :)

10. SimplyGoofy

SimplyGoofy "You are not Mickey Mouse... you are a rat!"

What a lovely trip and a great trip report! I'm impressed that you braved Disney World during the New Year's holiday - I love going at less busy times, but I think it can be done successfully with proper planning. Even when your plans changed it seems you did a great job of making everything work smoothly (without resorting to acting like the people who yelled about not being seated quickly without an ADR or about their "missing" Fastpasses - what is wrong with people?!). I'm also impressed you included so much relaxation, going-with-the-flow, and pool time. It's so hard (especially for us DISboarders!) to do that, but it really makes for a nicer overall vacation.

I'm pretty excited to see Toy Story land - I'm glad you loved it! Thank you for all the wonderful pictures (both here and throughout your entire report!).

I was quite sad when I heard they'd changed Artist Point to the Snow White dinner - Artist Point was one of my favorite restaurants from my last two trips. I was especially excited to bring my husband (a big national park fan - therefore perhaps a Wilderness Lodge fan?). I will still miss the Portobello soup (SO GOOD!), but your very positive review gives me pause on brushing off the restaurant altogether. We'll see!

I may need to consider breakfast at Garden Grill! My only PPO breakfast at Epcot has been Akershus (which I really enjoy - I adore the lingonberry cream cheese!), but that cinnamon roll skillet looks AMAZING. My cinnamon roll-loving husband would LOVE that!

Your VIP tour sounded amazing! I'm glad you grew to like your guide - and that he did such a great job getting you to all your must-dos. What a great way to do four parks in one day - and with prime viewing for the fireworks, to boot! It's too bad your son missed out on a lot of the fun.

Your tour at Animal Kingdom also sounded great. I'd love to do another tour one day, and several of the Animal Kingdom options sound enticing. I love Animal Kingdom more and more each time I visit - it's becoming one of my favorite parks! (Also, do try and have lunch or dinner at Yak and Yeti sometime - it's fantastic!)

Thanks again for the wonderful report! I'm glad your family had such a wonderful vacation!

11. StarWarsMomofGirls!

StarWarsMomofGirls! DIS Veteran

That is a big mimosa, too!

4 months is pretty good, I think....

12. jphcoffeeboy

jphcoffeeboy Earning My Ears

Thanks for such a fun trip report.

13. ArielSRL

ArielSRL DIS Veteran

Wow!

Same!

My favorite...though no one will ride with me.

One of my husband's faves.

Oh no!

My oldest son's favorite...and one of the few rides I refuse. Me + simulators = mostly a big fat NO. Though I love Soarin' and will try FOP in June (with Bonine and Sea Bands, of course).

I haven't done this one in awhile but we have an ADR for July.

I have an 8pm one scheduled for June. I hope it is dark enough.

Can't wait to see all this stuff in November!

I so want to see TSL at night but we always do Fantasmic one night and the Star Wars fireworks the other.

My DH and I really enjoy it as well. I am making the boys try it in June.

Same!

14. ArielSRL

ArielSRL DIS Veteran

Very nice.

:rotfl2:

Definitely do. Though it is hard because there are so many treats to try at MK. I hate to keep going back to the same ones.

Yeh, I think that was the issue. I want to try the totchos at Woody's Lunchbox, though I have heard the Grill Cheese is so good. Maybe both???

Yeh, it usually ends up working out after some tweaking, right?

Hopefully they will be there when you go but if not, yes, get that sucker back! HAHA

I love the coffee cup quotes.

I really want to try this spot. I think we might be trying Kona in Aug and The Wave in Oct but I need to get this scheduled somewhere.

Good to know!

Sounds yummy!

Beautiful!

Well, of course, you do!

It was definitely a sign!

I love that pin!

One of my DH's faves. Of course, he is from Louisiana so it probably makes sense. LOL

Of course we absolutely LOVE WL. It's our DVC home. But I cannot wait to )hopefully) try out the Poly in June 2021.

Thanks for sharing the trip!

15. amalone1013

amalone1013 DIS Veteran

Loved reading about your trip even though I was terrible about keeping up and commenting :) I just recently booked us Backstage Magic for June 21st! The whole Tiffin's/ROL really sealed the deal for me.

16. xlsm

xlsm Snow White

It was kind of sad to end it, but now I get to go back and read through it to relive it myself!! That's part of the fun for me, lol!! Yes to more trips...and I'll probably start a combo PTR for both of them pretty soon!!

It was a nice last day, just kind of hanging around and appreciating the resorts and eating food...that's what i like best - food! :rotfl:

I was very impressed by the sky, i loved the layered colors!

Aw, thank YOU for following along. I love having the TRs as a way to remember our trips, so I will probably always write them :goodvibes

This one is over, but a new adventure will begin soon!! You know I'll be looking to see if you're working on my next two trips!! I won't let any resting villain face scare me away, LOL!!

it was the best burger!! Maybe I was just really hungry, but I don' think so - i feel like it really was THAT good.

I hate the happy people :sad::sad: I think I will secretly move in to one of the resorts...they're so big, how would they notice me? Then I"ll never have to be on the sad bench!

Yes, bringing back the van/pineapple swirl was the best decision WDW ever made, LOL!! Forget Galaxy's Edge, it's all about the dole whip swirl!! Yum!

I feel like I need an "I survived NYE at WDW twice!" button, then people will know how tough I am :rotfl2::rotfl2: It went so smoothly this year that I'm not afraid of any holiday time anymore.

I think I'll have a PTR up soon, and definitely a TR for June (which will be here before I know it :scared1: )

I'm glad you enjoyed it!! I complain about getting behind in writing sometimes, but I really enjoy writing them (and going back to read them from time to time!!)

You may have convinced me to try and work it in soon!!

Thank you!! We definitely felt the Polynesian magic this time around!!

NJlauren and PlutosRHM55 like this.
  17. xlsm

xlsm Snow White

I love using them, especially on iced tea or coffee drinks - they catch all the drips from the sweating cup!

I thought it was so cute!

So I'm now convinced that when it comes to plating a steak, the person training them says, "just sort of throw it on there, it'll be fine!" :rotfl: We didn't have luck with pretty steak plates this time at all!

The pens are so fun, and I hate to lend them to anyone b/c I'm afraid they'll get taken. When I'm in meetings I have separate "lending" pens that are generic, LOL!!

Aren't we the lucky ones, to have found a place so special?? :grouphug:

Thank you!

After our first NYE trip I said NEVER AGAIN!! It was crazy. But then when it was the only time for all four of us to go together, I realized how much I'd learned previously, and our trip really did go amazingly well this time. I have no fear of any holiday or season now!! And as for the relaxing, I've fully embraced it now. I do so much less planning the more trips we take, and it's made me much more easygoing.

I loved Artist Point, and was kind of torn on the change - I think if it had been anything other than the very unique experience it is, I'd have been much more upset. I'm glad it isn't your run of the mill character meal. The portobello soup is still served at Territory Lounge if you need a fix! And I think it's now included at the Storybook Dining since they've changed to a spring menu. I was very pleased with the quality of the meal, considering it is now character focused.

Garden Grill is now a favorite! The character interaction we've had there both times has been some of the best ever. I think it's definitely worth trying. I prefer it to Akershus.

We really did grow to love our guide! We were offered another VIP day on our June trip, but it will just be me and DH so we didn't feel like that was something we needed. But there was a part of me that wanted to accept just to see our buddy again!!

Animal Kingdom is my favorite park, but I never feel like we spend enough time there. I love animals, so I want to do all the tours there!! My family is a little afraid I'll try to pet something I shouldn't and get eaten :rotfl: DH and I have a reservation for Yak and Yeti for June, and right now it's still in the plans...I'm trying hard to hang onto it, but it just seems like it's easier for me to let ADRs go at Animal Kingdom than it is at other parks. I don't know why!!

I'm glad you enjoyed reading along - it really was a wonderful trip!

I know! Even better!! :rotfl2:

You're right...four months sounded long at first, but when I thought about everything I had going on over here, I was more impressed that I finished within that timeframe, LOL

Thank you for reading!! I had a lot of fun writing it!

StarWarsMomofGirls! likes this.
  18. xlsm

xlsm Snow White

Right?? I could not believe how windy it was!! It is windy here at home quite a bit, and will blow even our heavier lawn furniture across the yard, and the wind that night was worse than that.

Aw, well if we're in the same place at the same time, I will ride with you!!

I notice that each year it makes me feel a little sicker each time :crazy2: I never had a problem with motion sickness until we went to Universal a few years ago. All the simulator rides really did a number on me, and now I feel it on Star Tours. FOP doesn't bother me much, and my mom who gets very motion sick after going through chemo, had great luck with sea bands when I took her!!

I just want to try everything :rotfl:

It's so hard to choose! I admit, I picked GF Cafe b/c it's a favorite of mine. DH likes Tonga Toast but was content to just get some at Captain Cooks, but I did feel some guilt not booking Kona. Everyone says good things about The Wave breakfast, so I might try it sometime...our dinner there was just ok. Not bad, just not anything exceptional.

The Lodge is the BEST!! But I do hope 2021 at the Poly works out for you, and that you enjoy it as much as we did this time around!!

Oh my gosh, I was terrible about keeping up with WRITING it, and I'm behind on literally every trip report I'm even halfway reading, LOL!! I'm always impressed by people who can keep up because I am NOT one of them :rotfl::rotfl:

Yes!! The Tiffins/ROL really helped push me to book it, too. I mean, it looked cool anyway, but the change definitely was the motivating factor. I read an old review that said they got to see the floral department and all the Christmas decorations...I wish they'd bring that back to the tour.

amalone1013 and ArielSRL like this.
  19. Tracy161

Tracy161 DIS Veteran

Well isn't that... appropriate?! :laughing:

That's a perfect name for that bench. And they are wise to put it away from the smiling, happy guests just arriving... I always find myself looking over there longingly... and depressingly... :sad:

OMG! That's an awesome tip! I'd never thought of that. :thumbsup2

I'm so happy to hear this. I am booked there for August!

Yep, we sure do! :goodvibes

Thanks so much for sharing your wonderful trip with us! :goodvibes

20. petals

petals Irish Princess because Cinderella said so!

great trip report thanks for sharing

21. TNGirlwCamera

TNGirlwCamera Mouseketeer

Really enjoyed your trip report. You did several things I haven't yet so it was cool to see them and get opinions. Thanks for sharing!