An Asian Disney and Universal Adventure - Trip Report COMPLETED 6/23

your pictures are AMAZING!!!

I just hope that what I am trying to get a picture is actually in the frame and not too out of focus so I can actually recognize it later on when I go back to see what I got

Thank you for the lovely compliment. Will you being doing a lot of photography on an upcoming trip? I think the trick is to understand your camera settings so you know the best settings for each circumstance you are photographing. Hope you get some good shots too!

Last edited:
Loving all the fantastic pics (catching up late after some trips ourselves). You make me want to go right back to the Singapore Zoo as its been a while since we last there and the tiger was sleeping of course! Also your version of the Night Safari sounds great as t was very newly opened when we visited but then I'd like to visit the new River Adventure too -decisions! Loving reading along as we have been to many of the places you have visited and good to see the changes over time and hearing your opinions and seeing those things we have missed!

I read your whole report and I'm really enjoying it. I have not been to Asia, so it's quite interesting to read about all the different places you're visiting.

You are packing a LOT into each day. It's no wonder that a few aspects were a little under-planned. It doesn't seem like those things made a huge impact overall, and I'm glad you've included those thoughts in your report. The feedback is interesting to read and also helps others plan. I'm not sure I'll ever make it over to Asia, but your report makes me want to go!

Your husband's photography skills are impressive. I enjoy photography and I've taken a few community education classes, but there's still so much more to learn! I have a Nikon D5500 that I've had for less than a year. I'm still trying to figure it all out. It can be a really expensive hobby!

Loving your report, allows me to have a trip to Asia without leaving my couch. Great pictures and descriptions of the Disney parks and other areas! Excited to read more.

Loving all the fantastic pics (catching up late after some trips ourselves). You make me want to go right back to the Singapore Zoo as its been a while since we last there and the tiger was sleeping of course! Also your version of the Night Safari sounds great as t was very newly opened when we visited but then I'd like to visit the new River Adventure too -decisions! Loving reading along as we have been to many of the places you have visited and good to see the changes over time and hearing your opinions and seeing those things we have missed!

Thanks for reading along! I'm glad the report is taking you back to places you've been able to explore. Yes the classic night Safari tour was incredible, we loved it so much - Singapore in general was incredible! How long ago were you there? I'm curious to know how long the Night Safari has been there?

I read your whole report and I'm really enjoying it. I have not been to Asia, so it's quite interesting to read about all the different places you're visiting.

You are packing a LOT into each day. It's no wonder that a few aspects were a little under-planned. It doesn't seem like those things made a huge impact overall, and I'm glad you've included those thoughts in your report. The feedback is interesting to read and also helps others plan. I'm not sure I'll ever make it over to Asia, but your report makes me want to go!

Your husband's photography skills are impressive. I enjoy photography and I've taken a few community education classes, but there's still so much more to learn! I have a Nikon D5500 that I've had for less than a year. I'm still trying to figure it all out. It can be a really expensive hobby!

Thanks for reading along! I'm glad you are enjoying the report. Asia can be hard to get to but maybe one day you'll get there, it is an amazing place to visit!

Yes we always pack heaps into our holidays, that being said I usually do plan each little detail but obviously let a few things slip this time around! I hope that it does help others if they do decided to plan a trip to Asia, it's one of the reasons I love writing these reports!

Yes I'm so grateful for my husbands talent and the fact that he was able to pick up photography so well (he taught himself but he has always been good with technical things and loves to work out how to do things). For my part I know how hard it's been for me to try and grasp some of the technical side of photography (I think some people just have a talent for it and for others it takes time and effort). I'm sure you will get there and I'm pretty sure all photographers (and Jared would include himself in this) are always still learning - I hope you post some of your photos up here - I would love to see some.

Loving your report, allows me to have a trip to Asia without leaving my couch. Great pictures and descriptions of the Disney parks and other areas! Excited to read more.

Thanks for the wonderful feedback! If I've taken you to Asia then that makes me hugely happy! I am hoping to get into writing more soon!!

Last edited:
Day 8 - Part 2 - Pirates, Version 2.0

Apologising again for more delays in posts! I've been sick with the flu and in bed since Sunday and am only back on board today! Anyway....on with the report...

So, as you many have guessed from the last update we were on our way to the new version of Pirates of the Caribbean, Battle for the Sunken Treasure. This was the attraction I was probably the most excited about experiencing on this Asian Disney trip, because of what I'd heard (no I didn't avoid spoilers - I never can!) of how Disney had taken modern technology and classic Disney magic and blended them into what was (according to many reviews) the most epic and awe-inspiring Disney ride ever built!

I tried not to allow my expectations to be too high, I'm always worried that if I do I'll end up disappointed. Still, after everything I'd seen, read and heard about this ride it was hard not to get that excited, and I am pretty sure I practically skipped as we made our way towards it (of course it was the first attraction we wanted to experience). I believe when we arrived the wait was only about 20 minutes (the ride is a people guzzler and waits never get too long, though it is a mark of how busy it was while we were at Shanghai Disney that on subsequent days the waits got as high as 90 minutes!).

We entered into the fortress, themed to the Pirates of the Caribbean movies, rather than the original ride. This area took a lot of design queues from the Walt Disney World version of the attraction (it's queue being the best part of the ride there!) but it was improved upon in leaps and bounds here - so much detail and so many things to take in. We would notice more waiting longer waits later on in our visit, but what we saw this time really impressed us and help set the mood fabulously!

The loading area

As we were about to take off for the ride (we were loaded on the boats already) the most hilarious/frustrating/interesting thing I've ever seen at a Disney park occured! One of the guests in the boat in front of us, just as the boat was about to take off (the CM's had done their final safety checks and hit the button that goes green to signify everything is ready to go) just stood up and got out of the boat!! I've never seen a Disney CM yell before, but the Pirates CM screamed his head off at her (and probably rightly so, they had to slam their hand down on the emergency stop for the attraction and I'd imagine this would have halted the whole ride). What possessed her to get out of a boat when it was clearly about to take off on the attraction, in such an unsafe manner I don't know, but I do know she seemed very unconcerned about her actions, up until she begun to be screamed at by the very angry cast members. Of course we couldn't understand a word they were saying, but the tone said enough!

So after that short delay we were really ready to take off and we were so excited!

The Pirates attraction in Shanghai has a "Blue Bayou" of sorts, a counter service restaurant called Barbossa's Bounty. The funny thing about the restaurant is that it has multiple dining areas, and while I thought that the Pirates ride adjacent area would be the most popular eating spot in the restaurant, it seemed to be just as full as all the other dining areas, and never too full at that!

I should probably warn you that the below will likely contain small ride spoilers, so if you don't want to know perhaps skip the rest of this post!

The ride begins in a very similar manner to other Pirates attractions, with your skeletal pirates, and the classic pirates calling the dog with the key seen occurs with these skeletal pirates

We approach a skeletal form captaining a ship, and before our eyes, by some magic or wizardry, he is transformed into Captain Jack Sparrow himself! This moment is pretty jaw dropping and signals that this Pirates is going to be a whole lot more technically impressive than any other Pirates ride that preceded it.

And then you realise that these boats are nothing like the original Pirate ride vehicles either, as you are spun around backwards down a short drop waterfall and plunge down under the ocean.

The next parts of the ride involves incredible giant imax screens, amazing animatronics, scenes where you can barely tell where the real sets end and the screens begin plus amazing battles that completely surround you. It's unclear exactly what the storyline is here (it's all in Mandarin), and Captain Jack seems to face more than a few enemies but it doesn't really matter that you don't completely understand what's going on. You get the gist enough to know that all these players want this sunken treasure, and that you seem to be involved in helping Jack secure it.

So did the ride live up to our lofty expectations? The answer is of course, completely! In every single way! I would easily say it's my opinion that this is the best ride Disney has ever conceived of! The ride vehicles, which allow for the freedom of movement to move any way you wish makes you feel so much more immersed in your surrounds and therefore the story. The giant screens as so well done, and create an amazing sense of motion and awe thanks to their size and position. There are scenes when you can't tell what's real set and what's screen, and it's so convincing that you are under water in a vast ocean floor full of shipwrecks, treasure, mermaids and giant squids! The animatronics are incredible too, and you have to give Disney credit for incorporating them and going with a tried and true method that really makes you feel as though these characters are physically there with you on the attraction. And the screens are not used just for the sake of it, but in a way that adds to the experience of the attraction so well! It makes the entire thing EPIC from beginning to end. Oh, did I mention the Pirates of the Caribbean score plays throughout!

I think that this is an attraction that needs to be experienced by every true Disney theme park lover! It's everything we love about Disney, but with a modern and next gen feel that makes it so much more awe inspiring than the classic Disney attractions! Disney do what they do better than anyone else, but for a few years now it's seemed like they were a little behind Universal pushing the technical envelope - but no more! If the Pandora and Star Tours land attractions are anything like Battle of the Sunken treasure then Disney will have hits on their hands for years to come!

We loved the ride so much we immediately rode it again!

Continued in Next Post...

Last edited:
Wow, Pirates looks amazing and to think the one at WDW is one of my favorite attractions of all times. I would love to experience this one. I am hoping Pandora has some unique features like this! Great pictures. I can't believe the lady just got up and out of the boat lol. I hope you are feeling better.

Wow, Pirates looks amazing and to think the one at WDW is one of my favorite attractions of all times. I would love to experience this one. I am hoping Pandora has some unique features like this! Great pictures. I can't believe the lady just got up and out of the boat lol. I hope you are feeling better.

Yes Pirates was completely amazing! I really hope you get to experience it someday as well, but from what I've heard through the rumour mill about Pandora it sounds like the Navi River boat ride will use the same ride system, so hopefully be a similar kind of thing! Yes it was crazy that someone just got out of the boat, it's not something I've ever seen happen at the US parks! And thanks, yes I am feeling much better :)

Day 8 - Part 3 - The first and last quite afternoon

After Pirates we were on a huge high, and couldn't wait to see more of the park. We had plans to eat at the only table service restaurant in the park that evening, Royal Banquet hall, mostly because we didn't think we'd be able to get many rides done that afternoon after arriving at the park so late. However, we were happily surprised by the crowd levels in the park that afternoon and evening (though I'm sad to say these lovely low crowd levels did not last).

Anyway we had decided we'd try see if there were Tron Fastpasses still available, so we headed out of Treasure Cove towards Tomorrowland through Fantasyland. Though we should have been making haste we couldn't resist stopping and admiring the beautiful inner courtyard of the majestic Enchanted Storybook Castle.

The castle is SO tall, and the windows to the top level go forever! It's such a different feel to the other Disney castles because you can tell it's a multi-level building.

The mosaics were stunning!

Looking up again

Every pillar and post in the castle courtyard was so beautifully detailed! It's also very open as there are entrance ways from each of the four sides of the castle.

We also stopped in at the Royal Banquet Hall to make a reservation, just in case! It's the one restaurant that accepts them at Shanghai Disney, but you can't make reservations in advance online, only through your hotel. They were easily able to accommodate our request to eat at about 5:30 when we strolled in just past 4.

Anyway, after enjoying the castle for a few minutes we continued onto Tomorrowland, unsure if we would be successful in our quest for Fastpasses (while the wonderful Shanghai Disneyland App does show you wait times you can't see Fastpass availability on it). It was already past 4 when we arrived and Fastpasses were still being distributed for 6:10 - 7:10pm! We were so excited, we wanted to go a nighttime ride and it turned out we would be able to on the first day of our visit! There was also no line for the Fastpasses at this point. I think this whole experience lulled us into a very false sense of security with how Fastpass distribution, and lines, would be for the rest of our trip. On average, in the next few busy days, we'd wait about 15 minutes for a Fastpasses and there was no chance of getting Fastpasses after 4pm on most of the preceeding days. We didn't realise how lucky we were as we skipped off with our Tron Fastpasses in hand.

We were already in Tomorrowland, and when we noticed Buzz had only a 10 minute wait we decided to give it a go (in general this ride was never too busy even on the busiest of days at the park). The version of Buzz at Shanghai is awesome! The sets feel a lot more three dimensional and less cardboard cut out, however the best part about it is that the laser guns had pointers that you could actually make out! You could see where you were shooting and aim much better and as a result i ended up with a score of 607,310 while Jared ended up with 986,505!! He almost made it into the top scoring category (he was about 25,000 points away from achieving it which bummed him out a little). It probably also helped that the ride did stall at one point so we sat there shooting the same targets over and over! I'm afraid I don't have any pictures to show you here except this shot of our scores!

While coming out of the attraction we were beckoned by three girls who were trying to ask us something. We thought they were trying to ask us to take a photo of the three of them in Tomorrowland, however it soon transpired what they actually wanted was a picture with us Westerners! Jared had already been asked for a picture with someone on Mickey Avenue while I was running around taking pictures earlier in the day, but this was my first experience with it. It's a weird experience, complete strangers wanting your picture, but I would later find out (more in a future post) that many Chinese people, especially those who live in rural areas, have literally never seen a Westerner in their lives, so the experience is apparently quite exciting for them and getting pictures seems to be the thing to do! I thought it was pretty adorable and was only too happy to smile and pose.

We had more time to kill until our dinner reservations, and noticed Voyage to the Crystal Grotto wait was only 20 minutes, so we thought we'd give that a go. The ride is Shanghai's more technically advanced version of Storybook Land Canal Boats, and it's charming and fun, with beautiful lighting at dusk and in the evening, but it's nothing hugely special. The end section in the "Crystal Grotto" is cute, with projections of Disney characters and sparkling lights and crystals, but it doesn't really wow you. Dusk or evening are the best time to ride this, as the lighting really makes everything much more beautiful, unfortunately I think each time we rode the ride we were a bit too early (during blue hour when it really got dark we were always taking photos)! The fountains are very peaceful though, and I love the Disney songs throughout. One of the larger downsides to this attraction is the boats, which have very high safety netting on each side, and it's impossible to get a good view of all of the fountains from one side (there are 6 fountains, 3 on each side of the boat). We had decided to try ride multiple times, and try sit on both sides. We later discovered the back of the boat is a great place for views of the fountains are you have passed them, and the views are relatively unobstructed.

I couldn't tell if the Beauty and the Beast fountain (not pictured here as we didn't have a clear view) or the Tangled fountain was my favourite. They were both beautiful!

Into the Crystal Grotto

We finished the ride happy, we weren't expecting much of it and the charm of it had really won us over! It's definitely worth waiting 20-30 minutes for but no more than that!

Last edited:
Day 8 - Part 4 - Dining like Royalty

After our voyage (see what I did there :P) we headed over to the Royal Banquet Hall for dinner. The entrance/waiting area was lovely, and completely empty when we showed up!

Like many Disney character dining restaurants (oh, did I mention Royal Banquet Hall is a character dining experience?) the first thing you do before entering the restaurant is get a picture with one of the characters. For us today is was Minnie Mouse, dressed in her best Princess outfit. I thought it was strange that a restaurant called "Royal Banquet Hall" inside a castle dedicated to all the Disney Princesses didn't include a Princess character dining experience (there was a Princess meet and greet in the castle), but meeting the fab 5 is always fun, especially in unique outfits!

We had a great interaction with Minnie, though quick - and were on our way into the main restaurant

The staff at the restaurant were so incredible and attentive, they really did treat you like royalty and there were so keen and happy to show us to our table and explain how the character greetings would work, how the set menu worked etc (it was a three course set menu for about $70AUD - so around $55 USD, so very reasonably priced!). I loved the coloured crystal glasses trimmed with gold used at the restaurant (they seem very 1970's to me, very retro)

The restaurant was a little bit too colourful and 'bubble gum' like for my tastes (it was not sombre or classic, nor did it feel like a room from antiquity) but it was beautiful none-the-less, and there were many beautiful accents like the chandeliers and the beautiful ornate urn!

We ordered our food and before the first course even arrived the restaurant was announcing Mickey's arrival! The King of the restaurant, he was attired appropriately, and we had a wonderful interaction with him! He was quite taken with me and demanded kisses, at which point Jared pretended to be jealous! Very cute!

We danced a little too!

And then Jared made his peace with Mickey and joined in the fun.

Given Mickey's hand placement here I don't think it's a stretch stating I was his favourite!

By the time we were done with Mickey entree had a arrived - I had a sweet potato/pumpkin soup, unfortunately the only entree item on the menu without gluten/shellfish/curry/chili's (Yep that's all my allergies - Oh I should advise my American readers that in Australia we call appetisers entree and what you call entree main). Jared had a baked cheese and leek tart, which he really enjoyed and I may have had a small bite of (it was yummy!).

After entree we met Donald. He was dressed royally like a Prince or a Duck and had a fabulous foe (I assume) ruby necklace which I told him I liked, and he then accused me of trying to steal it!

Jared then stepped in to smooth things over!

Mickey may have liked me best but I think Donald had a thing for Jared!

I believe this was us doing duck wings!

Right after Donald we met Daisy! She was wearing a beautiful medieval Princess gown, and I told her how much I loved her dress and how pretty she looked and she was very chuffed. Jared blew her a kiss and she blushed a little when that happened!

Needless to say, from the descriptions, these were some of the best character interactions we'd ever had with non-face characters, and it really added to the experience of dining at the Royal Banquet Hall.

At this point we'd met all the characters except Goofy I believe, which was perfect timing, as our dinner arrived!

This was Jared's dinner, choose for the adorable Mickey rice cake! I believe it was fish, but I didn't write it down so I don't 100% remember! The website says they serve a Pan Fried King Fish, so perhaps that's what that was!

My dish was a slow cooked beef short rib and it was delicious

Dessert finished up the lovely meal, Jared got a sticky-day pudding and I got macaroon with a cute white chocolate slipper!

The food at the Royal Banquet Hall was wonderful, and we really enjoyed our experience there. The staff were attentive and so friendly, and the character meet and greets were some of the best we've experienced!

Last edited:
Day 8 - Part 5 - On the Grid

We had a bit of time after dinner before our Tron Fastpasses so we thought we'd take some night shots. Unfortunately for us, we hadn't packed the tripod that day (oops) so we thought it would be a good opportunity to test out or green pod photography beanbag that we'd bought as a camera stabling tool for photography when at Tokyo Disney (where tripods/gorilla pods etc are banned). The issue with using this at Shanghai Disney was that many of the places we found (i.e. bins) were not stable enough and the camera shake created motion blur in the photos. In addition, while Tokyo Disney has many wide railings and ledges you can use the green pod on Shanghai Disney didn't seem to! We were also still learning that you had to let the beans in the bag settle for a few seconds before taking your shot, once again due to the motion blur it causes in your photos. Because of all that we spent a lot of time this evening trying to take photos, but not really having a lot to show for it. Here are the few we managed.

We finished up in beautiful Tomorrowland and I was so completely in love with this area at night!! The modern sleek feel, the lighting design was all so incredible. The music really added to it as well, making you feel as though you were in a futuristic space port. My favourite part though (which may seem a little weird) was the paved path leading into Tomorrowland which was paved with some sort of cement which, at night with the lights shining on it, would sparkle! Not just a little sparkle, it was like looking at stars in the night sky and as I am super partial to sparkly things I felt very drawn to it (you should see my collection of Swarovski figurines for evidence of my love of sparkly things!).

Anyway, after we tried a few photos, nearly dropped the camera off a second story railing (yep that happened - I told you the railings at Shanghai Disney weren't wide!) we continued onto our last ride of the day, TRON!

Tron may not be one of the best dark ride/coaster hybrids Disney has ever managed, but hands down it's the most thrilling of any of the coasters! It works so well as a futuristic coaster too, the lighting and effects in the coaster were really well done! The queue was also brilliant, the lighting really made it. There was also a really cool section where you enter a sort of 'pre-show' room with what looks like a blank wall when all of a sudden there is a flash of light and the wall is replaced by a glass viewing window down to the ride loading area! We were very much caught by surprised by this the first time on the ride, and it helped add to the awesomeness that is Tron. We did noticed however, on future rides, that sometimes you'd just walk through this 'pre-show' room (I think it depended on where you were in the line as it didn't seem like we caught it every time through).

I apologies for the quality of the pictures of the TRON boarding area and ride vehicles. You have to put all your things in lockers before riding TRON, though there is a smaller contain in the ride vehicle in which you can store valuables that fit in your pocket, so all the pictures I have are from my iPhone. Speaking of the TRON lockers, they were some of the weirdest ride lockers I've ever come across. There were multiple computer monitors to activate a locker, but unlike at Universal, where the monitor relates to the section of lockers it's located within, each window seemed to open lockers anywhere in the locker complex. As a result you spent too much time searching for which row your locker was located in, and the place got pretty hetic. When it was busy, there was probably a 20 minute wait just to get into the lockers, let alone to wait for the actual attraction! It wasn't smart planning on Disney's part, as at least if each monitor related to one section of the lockers the CM's could have allowed 2 or 3 people in each section, who wouldn't trample over each other trying to find their lockers, and the whole process would have gone much quicker! This, and the management of FP distribution were, I feel, two of Disney's biggest planning fails (it's like they didn't think it through knowing the large crowds expected at Shanghai Disney).

Anyway, enough of my ranting, onto the pictures of the loading area.

Just a warning for anyone visiting Shanghai Disney and planning to ride TRON (no it's not a don't ride if you have high blood pressure warning, though you probably shouldn't ride if you have high blood pressure)! This section, down to the main loading area, if filled with static electricity, and if you touch both sides of the railing at once you will get zapped (will, it happened every time to me, I kept forgetting to keep my hands off!).

The lighting on the ride vehicles themselves was also very cool, when the vehicles pulled up they were dark blue...

but as you locked yourself into position in the car the lights turned to a lighter aqua colour, as an easy way for the CM's to check who was locked in I guess!

The ride vehicles themselves were strange. I've never been on a 'motorcycle' coaster before and I didn't love the position these seats put you in (Jared tells me my problem was that I wanted to keep my upper body up and didn't allow it to rest follow along the front of the ride vehicle - but I wanted to be able to see what was around me and that position limits your ability to move your head easily to see your surrounds!). Still the seats were also not as uncomfortable as I had expected, they didn't push, press or pinch anything, it just wasn't the most comfortable position for me. Also, it was hard to get in and out of the vehicles as you had to navigate your way around the leg lock braces!

The slightly uncomfortableness of the vehicles was completely forgotten though, as soon as you took off on the ride. The coaster launches you off from 0 - 60mph (97km/h) in no time, and after a short outdoor period you enter the grid, which as I mentioned early is really fun with it's cool lighting and projections. My favourite part involved the ride vehicle 'duelling' with a projection of the orange team cars. We really loved this ride - the speed, the fun theme, the lights and the futuristic vibe make it a real winner as far as coasters go. Honestly I would not be sad if this replaced Space Mountain at the state side parks. Even with the theme it sort of feels like a twisted take on Space Mountain 2.0, and it has a lot more going for it than Space Mountain does.

After this we were off to our first viewing of Ignite the Dream, Shanghai's castle projection/laser/light/fireworks spectacular...find out how we did finding a spot in the Chinese crowds next...

A short summary here of my thoughts on our first day at the park though. We had loved everything the Disney Imagineers had bought to the table with the incredible new attractions we'd tried at Shanghai Disneyland, and had been blown away by how much we'd managed to achieve in about 4.5 hours in the park - 4 attractions, 1 Fastpass, a table service dinner and character meet and greet plus photos on an empty Mickey Avenue, half a parade and a fireworks show! We were really surprised by how quite the park had been and commented to each other that if the park continued to be like that for the rest of our visit we'd be so happy (I had expecting it to be much busier that day). Of course you really shouldn't say these things out loud like we did (we jinxed ourselves a little) as we never saw the park this manageable again. Still, we had the perfect first day at Shanghai Disney and it was a great introduction to such an amazing new park!

Day 8 - Part 6 - Ignite the Dream - Part 1

After TRON we were running a little late to find a spot for Ignite the Dream (and by that I mean it was only 45 minutes before the show instead of an hour). We thought that we'd be able to get a spot in the viewing areas near the stage, which we thought were built for the show. Turned out that whole section was closed for the show (it must have been too close to the fireworks etc) and the roped off area around it was already full of people!

We managed to find a spot past the gardens with the 4 conifers, which blocked our view a little, but we were at the front of a higher level than the people in front of us and there was only about 1 row of people between us and the beginning of this higher level. We breathed a sign of relief to have found such a decent, central spot, happy because the two ladies in front of us had prams and so we figured we'd have plenty of space for the show. However, I had forgotten (or perhaps the ease at which we'd experienced the park that day has tricked me) that this was China, and there is no such thing as space in crowds in China! Pretty soon people were elbowing their way through, pushing to fill every gap and we found ourselves jostled further back unable to hold our ground, part way behind a man with his kid on his shoulders (this really bugs me, holding them up to your head height by all means but when you put them on your shoulders the people behind you can't see!). Anyway by the time the show started we were quite grumpy!

Our plan was to see Ignite the Dream twice, once from a closer vantage and once from across the water at the front of Gardens of the Imagination so we could get fireworks shots with water reflections. While we did have a closer view the first night I would HIGHLY recommend getting a spot on the railing near the water instead, as this area did not fill up as quickly, and it was easier to hold your spot and have a clear view. My view this evening was partially obstructed by people (and their phones) high above my face in the air, I managed to find a gap I could peer through and saw enough of the show but not heaps. Jared got frustrated when everyone continued to hold their iPads and iPhones above their heads for photos so he decided to just be rude along with them and hold his camera above his head. Luckily for him (and our photos) Jared is tall in China, so the camera had a relatively clear view. But still, really advise anyone watching this show not willing to claim a spot 1 - 1.5 hours in advance to get a spot by the water at the front of Enchanted Garden. Otherwise where we were (at the top of the steps leading to the Conifer garden bed, or right on the rope at the front would be the only advisable spots, as no matter how good a spot you think you have, someone will come and get in your way and your personal space before the show starts!

This was our first real negative experience at Shanghai Disneyland, and crowds, and how the Chinese seem to act in crowds, continued to be a big issue for us throughout the trip. It's not a huge thing, but it is something that is way worse than in the US parks, and the way the Chinese act in crowds can feel very disrespectful and rude to Westerners (whether or not it's considered rude to the Chinese I don't know, and it is their country and we are visiting their culture so you do have to respect that). Still the number of times we saw people blatantly ignore ropes and even gates to push in lines or who almost bowled people, and or cast members over to try and get where they wanted to go was astonishing to us. I do feel that the CM's at Shanghai Disneyland could handle some of this a bit better, but obviously they don't have the staff to police this kind of thing all the time. It's definitely not a deal breaker, but if you do go to Shanghai Disneyland, especially during a busy season, be aware and prepared.

Anyway, back to the positive part of the evening, Ignite the Dream. It was without a doubt, hands down, the best Disney castle projection/fireworks show I've seen (we didn't get to see Once Upon A Time at Tokyo Disneyland - which looks amazing) and of course I've never seen Disneyland Paris' Disney Dreams (which I've watched videos of - it does look incredible) but Ignite the Dream I feel would hold up with those shows! It was an excellent combination of Disney films, music, projections, fountains, lasers, fireworks and even fire bursts! While World of Color still holds the number 1 place for Disney nighttime spectaculars for me (perhaps tied with Rivers of Light when I see that one day - it looks incredible) I loved this show! Another reason I loved it was, while there may have been a story that tied everything together (it was in Mandarin so we had no idea), the music and Disney classic visuals alone was enough to create that sense of misty eyed nostalgia in me. It's the reason I love World of Color so much, because I'm transported, with the sounds and sites, to my childhood happy place where dreams are all possible and magic is real. Ignite the Dream had this feel to it, and even in the jostling and packed in crowd I found that sense of wonder and delight at watching it.

I do also this the size of the castle worked in the shows favour, as Disney had such a large canvas on which to project it's wonder!

Anyway, here is the show - I have so many photos that this will be in two parts but I wanted to show you how amazing it was.

Last edited:
Day 8 - Part 7 - Ignite the Dream - Part 2

Some more photos of Ignite the Dream

After the show finished the crowds all took off, but we stayed for a lovely little post show which we got a better view of as we were not at the top of the steps in front of the conifer garden (As you can see it's a great spot if you can get it)

And that was Ignite the Dream! Even with all the crowd craziness it was a great way to end our first day at Shanghai Disneyland.

We excited the park to continue our experience of being a human sardine on the bus back to the Toy Story Hotel, but we didn't mind - we'd had a wonderful day at a brand new Disney park, and that was good enough for us!

Last edited:
Day 8 - Part 8 - Ohhh, Level 5

We still hadn't actually seen our room at the Toy Story Hotel as it hadn't been ready when we arrived. When we got back to the hotel it was a mad house of people checking in and it was at this point we got a glimpse of how busy for the next few days. We asked a CM who advised us it was the start of Spring Festival, which is the holiday period around Chinese New Year.

We collected our bags from Bell Services, which took a long time because of the crowds and we were finally on our way to the room for a much needed rest!

On our way up to our room on Level 5 we were treated to what soon became our favourite part of the Toy Story Hotel, the elevator. The Little Green men had taken it over, and their adorable little voices announced each level with gusto. Ours was "ohhh, Level 5" and then there was the cute way they announced Level 3, the Lobby. Check out the video below! So cute!

Anyway we found our room easily. It was fun and whimsical, though a bit too cartoony for my taste (I'm not sure what I should have expected from a hotel themed to Toy Story!)

And that brings us to the end of our first day at Shanghai Disneyland! We went straight to bed so we could be up bright and early for our second day in the morning.

And now I am off to see Beauty and the Beast (Live Action) at the cinema so I'm sure I'm in for a night of Disney wonder and magic, and plenty of tears! I hope you all enjoy your weekends :)

Last edited:
The castle looks amazing, can't wait to see it in person one day.
The royal banquet does seem a bit odd not having princesses for the character meal.
Especially as the dining rooms are themed around the princesses.

The castle looks amazing, can't wait to see it in person one day.
The royal banquet does seem a bit odd not having princesses for the character meal.
Especially as the dining rooms are themed around the princesses.

Yes the castle is wonderful and I'm sure you will see it one day It is odd about the Royal Banquet Hall but perhaps Disney thought the Chinese audience wouldn't connect much with the face characters - who knows! It was still fun though

Day 2 - Part 8 - Lake of Disappointment

We loved Ancient Egypt part of Universal Singapore too (and Far Far Away Castle which was much bigger than I was expecting). We haven't been to Universal in California so wasn't sure how they had done it there. I also thought for a small park they have done it well. We wanted to see the Crane Dance as I thought it sounded good but didn't get there so loving seeing your pics of it but I had read that the Lake of Dreams thingy was really, really slack and not worth waiting for (it was on at 10pm I think when we were there).

The colourful flower sculpture you liked in the Cloud Dome by Mark Quinn was first on display at the Chelsea Flower Show in 2013 created it said to celebrate Chelsea's centennial as I have a picture of it from there!

We went on the Night Safari on our second trip to Singapore I think which might have been when my daughter was only 6 so 1997? or maybe we did the zoo then (I need to look up old photo albums) so maybe it was 2005. Quite a long, long while ago as we have re-visited the zoo and keep meaning to re-do the Night Safari. More recent visits have needed to see Gardens by the Bay etc though and invariably Singapore is a one or two night stopover en route to somewhere else so time is limited - and they keep adding great new things!

Last edited:
What a great day. The castle, grounds, Royal Banquet Hall, rides, fireworks, and your room all look so amazing. Thank you for the wonderful detail and descriptions!

We loved Ancient Egypt part of Universal Singapore too (and Far Far Away Castle which was much bigger than I was expecting). We haven't been to Universal in California so wasn't sure how they had done it there. I also thought for a small park they have done it well. We wanted to see the Crane Dance as I thought it sounded good but didn't get there so loving seeing your pics of it but I had read that the Lake of Dreams thingy was really, really slack and not worth waiting for (it was on at 10pm I think when we were there).

Welcome to the report - it's so nice to have you here, I love reading your reports!

Yes Universal Singapore was a surprise to us! Universal Hollywood is about piecemeal, probably because it was never designed as a theme park but it their actual studio! The Crane Dance was awesome and I wish I'd researched Lake of Dreams to realise it wasn't worth staying around for!

The colourful flower sculpture you liked in the Cloud Dome by Mark Quinn was first on display at the Chelsea Flower Show in 2013 created it said to celebrate Chelsea's centennial as I have a picture of it from there!

We went on the Night Safari on our second trip to Singapore I think which might have been when my daughter was only 6 so 1997? or maybe we did the zoo then (I need to look up old photo albums) so maybe it was 2005. Quite a long, long while ago as we have re-visited the zoo and keep meaning to re-do the Night Safari. More recent visits have needed to see Gardens by the Bay etc though and invariably Singapore is a one or two night stopover en route to somewhere else so time is limited - and they keep adding great new things!

Thanks for the info about the sculpture - there was a plaque (we didn't read it) but that's really fascinating! I see why it won, it was incredible! Yes I understand how Singapore is a stop over - from Perth especially it's a gateway to Asia and Europe! And I also felt like we didn't get to see it all! Still it's good to know it's an easy trip for us should we ever want to go back

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter