An American In Paris or....~Charlie, pirates and FEs!

I am really enjoying reading this. It inspired me to write a trip report too. I can't wait to see what you thought of DLP. We fell in love with it and even DH was saying when we come back we can this and this.

Tigger~ I dont think youre going to like everything I have to say about DLP because after 3 days, I was very satisfied that I had seen everything and there really isnt a strong chance that I would go back.
But I will be honest in my report because like Linda said the jornaling will be done!
Im glad I have inspired you to write your own and look forward to reading it!

Rebecca~ BTW, happy belated anniversary! I cant believe another year has gone by. 11 this year?
You both really deserve to take a cruise. They are wonderful and I can see us eventual taking one a year after the kids are grown.
Maybe you can do the ignaugral Fantasy with us!
When does your DH graduate?

Tigger~ I dont think youre going to like everything I have to say about DLP because after 3 days, I was very satisfied that I had seen everything and there really isnt a strong chance that I would go back.
But I will be honest in my report because like Linda said the jornaling will be done!
Im glad I have inspired you to write your own and look forward to reading it!

Rebecca~ BTW, happy belated anniversary! I cant believe another year has gone by. 11 this year?
You both really deserve to take a cruise. They are wonderful and I can see us eventual taking one a year after the kids are grown.
Maybe you can do the ignaugral Fantasy with us!
When does your DH graduate?

Oh I agree we saw all of DLP but there are other things in Paris and around DLP we want to see. I think you should defiantly be honest. I am partial to DLP because they have my favorite character and she isn't represented at all in the state parks. I love Angel (stitch's girlfriend) and loved that she was in the show and had merchandise with her on it.

We have some really good friends who work for Google in Swizterland and they decided to come come to Paris and hang with us for the weekend.
Chris said to go on over to the train station and he would meet us there.
If we were in DL meeting at the train station would mean meeting at the train station, inside the park, on or by the steps. No questions asked.
But we werent at DL, and here he meant the TRAIN station. Because we were waiting for our friends.
So just in case they happened to call, I had his phone. I didnt bring my phone to Europe, no need.
So Im waiting for over an hour and in this time I told the kids to go ahead and go on Space Mountain and then wait for us there.
Lauren and Eric both asked a couple of times, are you sure Dad didnt mean the other train station. No, he couldnt possibly have merant that!!
I do not know how to work my husbands phone other than to answer it.
He had gone back to the room, figured that he could send me text through his laptop, but I didnt know how to retrieve them!
After the third call, I walked up to a cm who was wearing a suit, looked official, and asked if he spoke english. Thank God he said yes!
I explained the whole situation and he smiled and nodded and told me he was from Toronto! Yea!! and asked if I was from Canada and I told him Az.
He was able to work Chris's phone and I talked to Chris and he was going to come directly over. He was a little annoyed.
I was so happy I hugged this CM!
Chris arrived and we went and got the kids and then our friends called and it worked out well that we met them in front of the castle.
We had thought to get Fastpasses for SM and it turned out that was our friends favorite ride and they had never been here either and so 4 of them went on and they had their Mom with them and so Lauren, Mary and I went and had ice cream at their version of Gibson Girl/Caration Plaza, which I think was Ben and Jerrys.
So we hit all of the BIG rides, that they wanted to ride which was fine with us and got to see alot more of the park.
The theming is just Gorgeous!
Adventureland is all Agrabah and pirate-y. Fantasyland is very pretty
Discoveryland is cool and futuristic and the Frontierland area is all old west.
I think there are area that would make for an awesome Halloween staging/treat areas.
But I just cant accept the dirtiness and trashiness of it.
Why would you put so much time and effort into something to treat it that way?
Alice's Labrinth was really neat and they had a shop, which was closed, but it was the windmill from the Silly Symphony "The Old Mill"!
This is what get me. The little things and details that they put into it.
Things that more than likely mean nothing to anyone else but I freak over!
The incredible walk through of Aladdin, makes DLs Sleeping Beauty look like an after though.
The sleeping dragon in the lower half of the castle.
The stain glass in the upper top of the castle and that you can walk out on the balcony of the castle.
Those things are just AWESOME!

We went back to our hotel because we had booked a bus tour for that night, an evening tour of Paris, which left from the front of our hotel. Our friends checked to see if they could go with us but it was already sold out.
So they stayed awhile and then left and we ran over to the train station wher ewe had previously gotten snacks and they had a place wher you could get sandwiches. There were two people ahead of us and you could see the food disappearing and when it was our turn we bought all that was left.
I had heard that the food in the train station was good and thought how good could it be. Some of the best we ate in France!
Good meat on good bagettes, a bag of chips and a coke and we were off on our tour!

I am so enjoying this report:goodvibes

The warship (still can't remember th name) is moored fairly near the centre of Peter - the Neva ctually twists off for quite some way and finally reaches the sea out by Vasillievsky Island, where there is a big exhibition centre. The navy are moored up there so you can't get too close - its about 20 mins by bus from the centre of Peter.

Believe it or not, your experienmce of Russian passport control is fairly relaxed compared to mjy first experience;) when the plane touched down there was a double row of military personnel (all with holstered pistols) to see us onto a bus. Then we realy laughed - the bus did a big slow semicircle to the arrivals hall, while the military people walked in a straight line so they would be there to see us OFF the bus:rotfl: And at that time the boohtes were made of wood, so you walked into this narrow gap and stood looking through a window and the glum customs official - and for some weird reason there was an angled mirror so they could also see the back of your head:confused3 They would look fixedly at the passport, then up at you, then back again at least 6 times:rolleyes1 At that time (early-mid 90s) such booths were still in all the FSU countries, but by 1999 most were slowly opening up a bit.

The difference in feeling safe might be because Berlin is in Europe (part of the EU) and, even if the signs are in German it is the same alphabet so you feel you could have a guess;) Russia is a very differnt country (and language) - there's really not the porblems with KGB and stuff like there used to be. Like any big city there are bad people who will do bad things, but generally its OK.

I'd love to visit Sweden - all I've done is change planes in Stockholme! The tighter passport control is because its not part of the EU, so your boarding in Dover doesn't count as passport controll for them (same as Russia).

[QUOTEThe train ride was uneventful except we actually got to do the chunnel!
It didnt last long at all and it seemed we were in pitch black outside the train, you couldnt really see anything. Yes, I know its not the submarine ride
but I thought you would see something.][/QUOTE]
:rotfl2: If the did have the lights on all you'd see would be cables - no more exciting than the subway! The first time I was using the Eurostar elder DS (then 5) said "you must be so excited to see all the fishes!" Even if it was a clear tube I think it would be pretty weedy - think of the pipeline in "Finding Nemo". I think I'm happiest NOT seeing the water:rolleyes1 There used to be an exhibition near Dover where you could learn about the construction and everything.

I've never eaten at the Blue Bayou, but I'd heard the food was not up to much:sad2: Anyone heading for DLRP, try Walts on main street - its called "an Americain Diner" but actually its really nice food - more like the Brown Derby - and if you go upstairs you can watch the parade from your table.:thumbsup2

More! How was the trip round Paris?

Mazda, you want more?! You little TR junkie! I bet you sit around late at night reading everyones TRs!:rotfl:

I promise this will end soon! This is the reason I dont write. I get started and get on a roll and dont want to stop and think that everything needs to be said. I would have problems in English classes that required papers and teachers would get on me about getting to the point!

With M&Ms at the ready, lets see if we can get closer to wrapping this up!

(Love the story about the fish!:goodvibes)
and you were a geography major, weren't you?

was the name of the tour and I am so glad that we did this!
I can now see why they refer to Paris as the city of lights. At night its just lovely.
We had those head sets again but this time at least it was clear and we were on an upper deck bus, too bad it was enclosed.
Thats something we didnt get to do at all and had wanted to do, ride an open double decker bus.
Our tour left at 9pm and it was still fairly light out but more of what you might refer to as dusk. So as we travelled it got darker and the lights shone brighter.
We saw the Seine, Champs -- ---, Norte Dame from a distance, the Louve, the road with all the little cafe's that is in every movie set in France, their version of Rodeo Drive with De Beers (know what that one is!) and other places, and we went to the Eiffle Tower.
Now even me, whose top 5 does not include France, has always wanted to see this.
The Eiffle Tower at NIGHT!
We were able to get out here for about 20 minutes and have a look around and our driver timed it just right because as we were there the light show started!
Lauren was in heaven! Eric thought it was pretty neat.
I think we actually got some decent photos of it.
After that we had a bit more drive then went back to the hotel.
I am so glad we saw Paris at night first and especially the Eiffle Tower.
At least I have that as a positive memory.
Because what I saw on Sunday really did me in.

4768211606_266c6cec3e_b_d.jpg

I cant believe one of the three of us took this!

Our original plan was to meet up with our friend (Mark, Dana and Mary) in Paris for the day. They called us around midnight and Mark said that Dana, who had been in a sledding accident in the Spring just wasnt up to walking and could we move our planes to Sunday. No problem.
We decide to do the Studios.
While on the ship we had gotten to talking to one of our Disboards friends and he was telling us how wild Crushes Coaster was and it was good for a one time ride, etc. So we decided to go on this first as I could tell that Chris was getting "parked" out.
I dont know what this guy was talking about because it was really fun!
It was more than Mulholland or Triceratop but it didnt go upside down or anything like that.
If they keep making DCA more and more Pixar, I can see getting one of those.
It was worth the wit in line but they kids were ok with not going again.
We went to Cirque de Magicique (sp?) which was a story about movies with Marty Short, which was enjoyable, and the seats we not much better than in Russia!
Chris went back to the hotel after that and the kids and I did TOT, in French!, and RNRC which broke down bit we were told we could stay and wait which we did and it was interesting to see how they handled everything and they ended up with 2 collard shirts (mngrs) and 5 guys in black that looked little bouncers and 3 girls doing various things and we got to see everything from right in front of the control booth.
We knew we were good when the girls got to test ride it and then they turned the lights back off.
We decided to leave after that, planned on having dinner and then closing out with DLP.
I have looked and have never found this at WDW but as we were leaving I found the umbrella from Singing In The Rain that "rains" down on you!
I hope the photo turned out!
I was surprised at how small the studios was. We walked the whole thing and took photos. Their new Toy Story Land was not open yet and it looked like it was going to be alot like Fliks Fun Faire, only with Woody and Buzz and gang.
We didnt do the stunt spectacular or the tram tour, kids not interested.
When we left we walked by "Annette's" resturant looked at the menu and decided we would try that.
Went back to the hotel and got Chris and went to dinner.
When I go to a resturant I like service on my time, not whenever the server decides, oh yea, I should go back and check on them.
Overall the food want bad, it wasnt great but was one of the better meals (train station still wins!)
Chris went with us back to the DLP and wanted to see more of the Fantasyland rides and did Snow White and Pinocchio and Storybook and decided that there was no way he was going to wait in an hour line for Peter Pan and went back to the hotel.
The kids and I rode a Small World, Autopia, had cotton candy, which is the really big thing, their churro!, walked the castle and on the way out Eric kept walking and Lauren and I went to the candy store, which should have been the Marshmallow store!
Cotton Candy, candy apples (the hard red stuff) and marshmallows!
Very big on those!
We stopped at the train station on the way back to pick up provisions and called it a night.
Before we left though I did ask the kids is there anything you want to see otr do here because we are done and not coming back.
They were really done and Eric told me Ive had a enough, lets go to the Disneyland where they say please and thank you. And there are times I think Eric can outpark me, and when he's had enough thats pretty extreme.

Cinemagique is one of our favourites at DLRP (Animagique is also really great - thing Fantasia done by poeple in costumes etc - did you catch it?) I did warn you the main difference was that DLRP has mostly French CMs:rolleyes: Generally Europe does not have the same service culture as the US - no water the instant you sit down, no bread til you've ordered etc. The other main problem is they rarely have enough servers for the number of customers - though I had a terrible server at the Maya Grill for breakfast in WDW (we waited ages just for juice) and at Chef Mickeys for Sunday Brunch on Easter Sunday. I know its a buffet but if they don't plan on bringing you drinks they should have them available for self service!I think at any restaurant you have to be lucky and catch a slack bit asnwell as a good server.

Anyone planning on visiting DLRP I recommend you learn a few phrases in French, it really helps oil the wheels IYSWIM. They can mostly speak English (certainly enough to take your order) but don't like people to assume they can ;-)

And actually, I was absolutely rubbish at Geography - dropped it as soon as I could! (age 14) But I've done a fair bit of travelling with work, which happens to have been many of the places you've just been:rotfl:

You did warn us and so did others so I wasnt as surprised as someone who doesnt know anything could /would be.
I really did try to go in with an open mind and have recieved sucky service at WDW and DL before.
It probaby didnt help things just coming off a cruise where they do everything from dropping your napkin in your lap to cutting the kids meat
(joking with Eric "man, you are too slow, dont hurt yourself!").
Some of the people were great, I never experienced the "rudeness" you always hear about and experienced on my first trip to England, basically unless we had "business" they left us alone.
Chris tried to take some French, online, but we found out that if they say Bon Jour and we say hello, they would try to speak english, except for the server in Blue Lagoon.
I met a really sweet girl in the Christmas shop who tried to help me pick out an ornament, who was from Finland, who showed me an ornament with "Tik and Tac" and I said you mean "Chip and Dale" and she said "that is their American name?" so cute!

Yesterday Chris had stopped by the train station and bought tickets and passes and found out how we were supposed to get to Paris.
Mark and Dana told us which stop to get of and said that it was the Archs station and when we came out of the tunnel it would be right there.
WOW!
We stood directly across the street from it and and it just doesnt look that big in photos but its HUGE and really awesome! Good photos here too.
SWe went across the street and carved right into the Arch were benches. We sat while he found our friends.
Chris found them and it was off to the Louve.
Mark has been to Paris several times and knows how to navigate those trains like its nothing.
We soon found ourselves at the Louve, which Im going to say again, its HUGE! It must be a city block long and has 3 main buildings witha courtyard in the center.
Eric takes one look on the inside and gives me a look that Dana picked up on right away and she asked me what was wrong and I told her that he was just "done" and sha told me, let me take care of Eric. Ok.
She absolutely made the day for him! Right now, they have no children but I bet she would make a great mom or maybe a teenage boy youth counselor.
She made a competition for her and Eric and I wont mention her what they counted but they had a very interesting time!
It was wonderful to see the Mona Lisa, Venus di Milo and the Diana the Huntress sculture.
We went down to the basement and walked around the excavated ruins and moat and had lunch there and Eric had apple pie!
So the best apple pie Eric had was in Paris and the best croissant Lauren had was in Finland!
After that the went over to the Eiffle Tower.
First, I think everyone admits that is really is much prettier at night with the lights on it and all.
Second, the military walking around with their rifles is not really reassuring and what are they going to do on the ground anyway?
Third, the humidity reminds me of Florida in June.
and fourth, the trash.
I just dont understand why. Ok if they cant afford custodians, people dont want to pick up after themselves either?
It was about a 45 minute wait in line to buy tickets which were not as expensive as we thought they would be.
Then you had to wait for the elevator to take you to the second level. Then you had to wait in another line to be able to go to the top, which we did.
I had always wanted to go to the top of EF but I think I was up there for about all of 15 minutes when I just wanted to get down.
We found our friends and told them that I wanted to go down to the 2nd story to go to the gift shop, which was half truth.
I just couldnt be up ther. So Eric stayed with our friends and the Chris, Lauren and I went down.
They met up with us and they wanted to go to dinner but at this point we really just wanted to go back to the hotel.
We had something from the snack bar and thenwent down to the ground level.
There had been so many people that you really couldnt see that much of a view from the top but we tried to get some photos but then my claustrophobia started acting up and it almost became a "get me out of here now" moment.
As we were walking back to the tube, Dana had to stop and rest and as we sat she asked me
"What do you really think of Paris" and I told her that I was a guest in another country and she says Im an American and I know how we think ",NOW what do you really think?"
and I told her! She told me that the smell was because men over there do not care where they urinate and are not paying for the urinals ,
they have a careless attitude about the trash and she was just as shocked at first as I was.
Paris has some very beautiful places and I am very glad to have been there but I can honestly say that unless its on some tour on some trip that we go on someday I wouldnt pay to go back.
But we saw the Eiffle Tower at night and that was special.

4768192892_3e952aa64a_d.jpg

4768195456_3afc549451_d.jpg

4768191194_7f53d311a9_d.jpg

4768189260_d4a7560083_d.jpg

4767547143_470524e44b_b_d.jpg

4767544949_92f7603bef_b_d.jpg

Arch, Eiffle, Venus, Mona us and for you geeks out there, yes, there really was an Apple store located in the Louve!

I never thought I would actually be happey to be going home but I was soooo ready!
Chris had called the day before to check us in our flights and UsAire had moved our seats all around and so he ended up calling them and they said that they had a new seating configuration and that we should end up being very happy. Little were we to know!
We had called the bell desk for a taxi which was the same cost as a shuttle and when we went downstairs the taxi was already waiting! The only time in Paris that we did not have to wait.
It was a nice drive through the countryside and it didnt take real long to get to the airport.
We hung out and soon it was time to board.
We had decide to fly home first class, just as an extra treat to end the trip.
This new configuration?
I will let the photos speak for themselves!
They only have this on their flights to/from London, Paris and Tel Aviv.
We did not want this flight to end.
First class from Philly to Phx felt like coach after that!
It was just so good to be home!

4767540525_17b5bc616d_d.jpg

These are what the new seats are like! You can see how roomy they are by Laurens seat and Ive always wanted to lay down on an airplane but had no idea it would be like this! What do you mean I have to come back to reality?!

People:
Cedomir~ most head servers seem like they show up once during the cruise and then at the end to collect their tip.Not Cedomir.
He came by dinner every evening, took casr of special requests, my sun rippened pineapple with cocoanut bananas!, talked with Chris about Croatia and started calling me "My Darling". The man earned his tip!

Jozsef~ Server, always making jokes, very nice and efficient!

Naned~ had only been on the ship for 3 months and this was his first contract! One night, he opened up to us and started talking and we felt we really got to know him.

Joe and Ponz~ cruise director staff. Joe was from "Souff London" and Ponz from the Phillipeans. Both very good but really liked Ponz.

Andrew!~performer, so many roles, hyena. coachman, dancer, so many other things. After I told him the first time that we really enjoyed him he would always say hi and talk a moment and then at "Till We Meet Again", he had tears in his eyes saying how nice it was because he was far from home and we had made it better for him!

Clifford~ our stateroom host. He gave me extra pens, envelopes for the teens FE gifts and extra hangers.

Winning two rounds at "So you want to be a Mousekateer?" and cool prize too. We stopped playing trivia because Chris wanted to give others a chance to win. Hey, we cant help it that we're good!

Playing Secret Mickey and making friends with my SM and her daughters and them joining DVC and using us as referrals!
Ms. Cindy from Tennessee and the laudry room time!
All the great FE gifties
and probably a thousand other things I could list on here when I think of them!

4790377852_c15719dc7f_b_d.jpg

4790379926_832175e6e8_d.jpg

4789749281_36e4840b9b_d.jpg

4789782163_665e9bb061_d.jpg

4790412578_d08e3e7502_d.jpg

4789727535_160f432d7a_d.jpg

4790364504_056097d860_d.jpg

4790366282_a89654c6d2_d.jpg

4790372720_339cec8507_b_d.jpg

The new pirate menu
Brent Davies, Ponz, Cedomir, Naned and Jozsef, Andrew and Baltic Sunset!

That is my TR and thanks for reading and listening!
I will now be adding the photos and if theres anything you might want to see, just let me know!

Flying 1st class:scared1::worship: No wonder you only come to Europe once every 28 years:rotfl:

OH Rita- this has ben a fantastic trip report - sp many of us have lived vicariously through it! I have not been to Paris (post college days) since the 70's, and you made it come alive once again. Thanks so much. Look forward to the pix now. Caroline

Rita, thanks for the trip report. All the places you visited sound so interesting and it was great to visit them through you. I can't wait to see the photos!

LOVED the report, Rita!!! Thanks so much for sharing it! Can hardly wait to see the photos!!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter