American Idol filming at Aulani in early 2024?

Scrappy2023

Earning My Ears
Anyone have any information regarding American Idol filming at Aulani in January or February?

Any e-mails informing them about a “television production”, as some guests received months earlier in prior years?

Anyone have any information regarding American Idol filming at Aulani in January or February?

Any e-mails informing them about a “television production”, as some guests received months earlier in prior years?
I'll have a look for news about American Idol coming to Aulani Resort in Hawaii on google.

I just had a look on google there's a thread on the DISboard about 2024 Aulani there's some discussions about American Idol.
https://www.disboards.com/threads/february-vs-may-2024.3912495/

I also had a look on google news nothing recent I found unfortunately the articles I found were about 2 or 3 months old they were stating that it American Idol was returning in early 2024 but doesn't say where it will be held or if it's in Aulani I also recommend in following The DIS and Aulani, A Disney Resort & Spa official social media pages.

Last edited:

I got an email just now for a production at Aulani 1 Feb to 10 Feb.

What should I expect? How will this affect my vacation? Good or bad?

So I will be at Aulani in early February. Guessing this is the American Idol filming. Just got this email which says:

Aloha Guest,​
Welcome home!​
We are delighted you have chosen Aulani, Disney Vacation Club Villas, Ko Olina, Hawaii as your vacation destination. We are looking forward to welcoming you soon.

We wanted to make you aware that during your stay at Aulani Resort we will also be welcoming a national television production. This television production will utilize a portion of Ko Olina beach at Aulani Resort from February 1 – 10, 2024 for filming. Aulani beach activities and amenities will be available along the rest of the beach.

During the dates listed above, it is possible that you may see or hear production taking place. We appreciate your patience and understanding, and hope you will enjoy being at Aulani Resort during this exciting time.​

This late notice stuff is garbage. We are just over 2 months out and are now getting the notice. Our party of 4 has no desire to be there at this time. Our only recourse is to be annoyed the entire time or cancel our trip.

This late notice stuff is garbage. We are just over 2 months out and are now getting the notice. Our party of 4 has no desire to be there at this time. Our only recourse is to be annoyed the entire time or cancel our trip.
I feel the same way. I won’t even bother staying on weekends so I had already broken up our 2week stay by staying up at Bellows Beach over weekends to avoid the normal island weekenders at Aulani. Our plans were Monday-Thursday at Aulani and then Fridays and Saturdays at Bellows. I also snagged an excellent delta one deal so was really excited about that. We usually book spa on checking out and enjoy that last quiet evening before a redeye. We have less than zero interest in being around for the filming of anything while on our desperately needed vacation.

I started a thread a few month back about going during February, and someone brought this up. The consensus for that was that, other than a few short times when stuff was blocked off, it wasn't really that intrusive.

I started a thread a few month back about going during February, and someone brought this up. The consensus for that was that, other than a few short times when stuff was blocked off, it wasn't really that intrusive.
Everyone’s vacation is different. We enjoy being near the grotto pool every day all week. The huge stage is normally right in front of this area so it would be quite intrusive. I have no issues with scheduled filming, I just have issues with the lack of notice for those of us planning trips almost a year in advance.

Just wondering if anyone knows:

1. Do they film every day? The email said Feb. 1-10, so was wondering if they filmed every day or just a few days in that time period.

2. How long are the filming sessions? All day or just a few hours?

I'll be there from Feb. 5-10. We are taking a day to drive to North Shore area, so I could plan that for a day they are filming so it doesn't impact us as much.

Just wondering if anyone knows:

1. Do they film every day? The email said Feb. 1-10, so was wondering if they filmed every day or just a few days in that time period.

2. How long are the filming sessions? All day or just a few hours?

I'll be there from Feb. 5-10. We are taking a day to drive to North Shore area, so I could plan that for a day they
We were there during filming early this year and experienced ZERO disruptions to our two-week stay (OK, they held me up for 30 seconds in the lobby one day to film a quick clip). The contestants rehearse during the daytime, and the music is enjoyable to listen to and was not intrusive. The filming takes place over a two-night period and it's pretty cool to witness the process.
We chatted with several of the contestants, and they were all very kind, respectful, and TALENTED.
As with anything, your mileage and experience may vary.

We were there during filming early this year and experienced ZERO disruptions to our two-week stay (OK, they held me up for 30 seconds in the lobby one day to film a quick clip). The contestants rehearse during the daytime, and the music is enjoyable to listen to and was not intrusive. The filming takes place over a two-night period and it's pretty cool to witness the process.
We chatted with several of the contestants, and they were all very kind, respectful, and TALENTED.
As with anything, your mileage and experience may vary.
I think it sounds pretty exciting!

I agree, the late notice is the issue.

If you google photos of prior years it is a very big setup. I could see how many could see the filming as exciting - but that is not how I see it.

Actually, I disagree. We were there last Feb while American Idol was shooting and it was a big pain. They take over a huge section of the beach (though there is still room for loungers), and they also completely take over the lounger area in front Ama Ama for the interviews. That’s our favorite place to hangout, and it was closed for days.

There‘s also a good deal of machinery and construction noise on the beach all day while they assemble the stage, and then subsequently disassemble it. It’s a big, noisy circus that ruins the entire paradise like vibe of the beach.

Actually, I disagree. We were there last Feb while American Idol was shooting and it was a big pain. They take over a huge section of the beach (though there is still room for loungers), and they also completely take over the lounger area in front Ama Ama for the interviews. That’s our favorite place to hangout, and it was closed for days.

There‘s also a good deal of machinery and construction noise on the beach all day while they assemble the stage, and then subsequently disassemble it. It’s a big, noisy circus that ruins the entire paradise like vibe of the beach.
What makes the area in front of Ama Ama your favorite place to hang out? Are you referencing the casabellas and lanais?

We love the standard loungers overlooking the beach off to the left side in front of Ama Ama. It’s more adult, away from the hustle bustle of the pool but still nearby, is pretty quiet, there’s good shade from umbrellas, and it’s a 20 second walk to the beach.

We also love the casabellas for rent on the grass right behind the sand. A number of those are also not available when American Idol is shooting. As I mentioned above, It’s kind of like a big, noisy circus sets up camp on a part of the beach. Some might think it’s interesting and fun, but for us it really detracts from the experience. The stage is a huge deal to set up for several days and requires heavy machinery, which beeps loudly and relentlessly all day whenever the forklifts back up, not to mention the constant banging of the framework as it’s put together by construction workers. My idea of Hawaii does not include several days at a beach whose main feature is a busy, loud somewhat monstrous construction site.

They also tape various segments on the walkways by the pool with the contestants and talent, which are during those times closed to guests. It’s very clear that the show takes precedence over the guest experience on the days it’s at Aulani.

We love the standard loungers overlooking the beach off to the left side in front of Ama Ama. It’s more adult, away from the hustle bustle of the pool but still nearby, is pretty quiet, there’s good shade from umbrellas, and it’s a 20 second walk to the beach.

We also love the casabellas for rent on the grass right behind the sand. A number of those are also not available when American Idol is shooting. As I mentioned above, It’s kind of like a big, noisy circus sets up camp on a part of the beach. Some might think it’s interesting and fun, but for us it really detracts from the experience. The stage is a huge deal to set up for several days and requires heavy machinery, which beeps loudly and relentlessly all day whenever the forklifts back up, not to mention the constant banging of the framework as it’s put together by construction workers. My idea of Hawaii does not include several days at a beach whose main feature is a busy, loud somewhat monstrous construction site.

They also tape various segments on the walkways by the pool with the contestants and talent, which are during those times closed to guests. It’s very clear that the show takes precedence over the guest experience on the days it’s at Aulani.
I mean, that's kind of human nature, right? The employees there see hundreds of hotel guests daily, but the American Idol thing is big and exciting and different for them. But I totally agree that would be extremely irritating to the guests who are paying to be at Aulani, not at American Idol auditions.

I mean, that's kind of human nature, right? The employees there see hundreds of hotel guests daily, but the American Idol thing is big and exciting and different for them. But I totally agree that would be extremely irritating to the guests who are paying to be at Aulani, not at American Idol auditions.
I think it’s more a deliberate management decision than human nature.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter