Am I the only one who doesn't want FD?

I totally understand the dislike (hate, whatever you want to call it. :) ) for FD, but we love it. Dining is a big part of our park enjoyment (were not foodies, but love the atmosphere, flavors, and downtime of a good TS meal).

We have stayed at Mods and Values, so for us this is by far the largest discount versus others like room discount, etc& It saves our party of 4 adults, one Disney adult, and two kids $2500 versus paying for the regular dining plan. (8 night stay) At best, with a 25% resort discount at a mod resort, we would save $800. (8 night stay, two rooms) Sooo, $2500 or $800? You do the math. Granted, if we paid OOP we would probably not hit $2500 for meals, maybe $2000 for where/how we eat, but still&

I think the impact of FD on crowd levels is overblown, at least according to the data. We go late Sept, and even with FD the last few years the crowds are rated at 2s on average, and thats based on actual crowd data, not observations. So yes, FD does bring in crowds (just what its intended to do), but its not like the parks are anywhere CLOSE to swamped during FD when we go.

It does make dining reservations more difficult, and it does fill the restaurants during that time. So yes, I understand your dislike, but for our family and MANY others it is the best discount that Disney offers. If we only ate a few TS meals each trip or liked to pay OOP I would probably be in the anti DP group too.

Dan

I totally understand the dislike (hate, whatever you want to call it. :) ) for FD, but we love it. Dining is a big part of our park enjoyment (were not foodies, but love the atmosphere, flavors, and downtime of a good TS meal).

We have stayed at Mods and Values, so for us this is by far the largest discount versus others like room discount, etc& It saves our party of 4 adults, one Disney adult, and two kids $2500 versus paying for the regular dining plan. (8 night stay) At best, with a 25% resort discount at a mod resort, we would save $800. (8 night stay, two rooms) Sooo, $2500 or $800? You do the math. Granted, if we paid OOP we would probably not hit $2500 for meals, maybe $2000 for where/how we eat, but still&

I think the impact of FD on crowd levels is overblown, at least according to the data. We go late Sept, and even with FD the last few years the crowds are rated at 2s on average, and thats based on actual crowd data, not observations. So yes, FD does bring in crowds (just what its intended to do), but its not like the parks are anywhere CLOSE to swamped during FD when we go.

It does make dining reservations more difficult, and it does fill the restaurants during that time. So yes, I understand your dislike, but for our family and MANY others it is the best discount that Disney offers. If we only ate a few TS meals each trip or liked to pay OOP I would probably be in the anti DP group too.

Dan

We have used free dining twice and I don't understand why people who DON'T like the dining plan say free dining isn't free. YES IT IS. You pay rack rate for the room but that doesn't make the free part of free dining any less free.

For 5 of us free dining is always going to be the better discount. That saves us $275 a day that we would have been paying for the DDP.

Example...last year...our trip we had booked for October we had booked at rack rate with no room discount and no free dining. What we paid for our vacation is what we paid. Period. Then a free dining promo came out and I called and had it applied to our already paid for vacation, and VOILA...we now have free meals for our entire trip.

If you stay in a value or a mod and have more than 2 ppl free dining will always be a bigger discount than a room discount. Now if you stay in a deluxe resort and get a discount for 35% off a $400 a night room and there are only 2 of you, then the room only discount would be more.

We always go in the off season and have never run into big crowds...in the parks or at restaurants. SO I don't mind free dining.

But it seems they are cutting way back on it this year so those of you who hate it may get a break from it for part of the year anyway.

Our next trip we are renting DVC points and paying OOP for food so I don't care if they have free dining this year or not to be honest.

We have never used the DDP, and never will. Absolutely zero interest in it, so personally, I don't wish for free dining. Give me a good room discount any day.

I agree . For us it isn't a good deal. We don't eat that much when in the parks.I mostly get kids meals anyway. Mostly we "graze". Give me my room discounts and I'm a happy camper.

i agree - it creates extra crowds when it's supposed to be a 'slow' time - and it's not even worth it - we never did a dining plan before - but tried one on our last trip & it's way too much food - for the cost we could be fully satisfied for less - and free dining isn't really free - just a hassle all the way around for us

I would much rather have a room discount. My family does not do desserts much anyway. I think we come out better paying OOP for food and getting a good deal on the room. I also think that the quality and variety of food served is not as good as previously.

The dining plan and the 'free' dining have dumbed down the restaurants to an unbelievably low level.

Then why did the prices also sky rocket ! DI$NEY

ccc-1.jpg
:rotfl2:

ccc.jpg

:laughing::laughing::laughing:

I would much rather have a room discount. My family does not do desserts much anyway. I think we come out better paying OOP for food and getting a good deal on the room. I also think that the quality and variety of food served is not as good as previously.

Sorry not in my case Two people 11 days 10 nights POP with park hopper and water park tickets with regular DDP FREE for $2300 :thumbsup2
Some don't eat I only sleep and shower in my room! Too busy all day having fun both on and off property :thumbsup2

If Disney gets rid of free dining, they'll replace it with some other steep discount or marketing ploy to get more people to the parks during slow periods. It seems silly to me to hope or expect that Disney will take things back to the "good old days" when the parks would be practically empty for long stretches. Those weren't "good old days" for Disney. Those lovely days when you can wander the park with no lines are precisely what Disney invented free dining to avoid.

Sorry not in my case Two people 11 days 10 nights POP with park hopper and water park tickets with regular DDP FREE for $2300 :thumbsup2
Some don't eat I only sleep and shower in my room! Too busy all day having fun both on and off property :thumbsup2

I agree!!! We tay at value or Mod bc I cant justify paying 4 times as much to sleep n shower!!! Just my preference. The discounts for value only ever equal out to about $250 (room only). Even with the quick service dining We will save $1324. because both my children are considered adults. I would be paying OOP if the dining was no free so Yes this is a huge savings for my family. I will be going to Disney either way, so I will not be creating a larger crowd only if FD is offered but if it is, you better believe we will be reaping the benefits!! :banana:

puppawuppa said:
I agree . For us it isn't a good deal. We don't eat that much when in the parks.I mostly get kids meals anyway. Mostly we "graze". Give me my room discounts and I'm a happy camper.

Yes, I often wonder how families can eat that much food on a hot Aug day. We get room discounts, eat breakfast in the room, light lunch and get good counter service and occasional sit down dinner, We often split meals or eat kid's meals. More than plenty and we don't waste massive time with ADR's, waiting for tables and worry about snack credits. We eat what we want, when we want it.

Free dining was great back in the day but the expectation of it and drop in tips included no longer makes it worth it.

This will be our first time on the deluxe dining plan and we will eat 3 meals a day. I hope for free dining.

We have APs so obviously we don't get FD. We did get DDP on our last trip and were disappointed. We didn't like how Disney stopped offering salad or appetizer with DDP. We could have done without the desserts. Who needs chocolate or carrot cake with lunch everyday. DDP is just too inflexible for us. But I dislike FD because restaurants are more crowded. And, I do think it will impact crowds because many people are waiting to take advantage of it, if it's offered. (I'm going in September.)

I would much rather have a deep room discount than free dining. I do like the dining plan but I'm not bothered about whether it comes free or not!

I dislike FD also.. I would much rather have a deep room discount. We always go in September (slow down season for hubs, hes an airline pilot) and last year Disney had free dining and it was madness.. We aren't dessert eaters and we always felt bad not eating all our food.. This year we aren't doing the dining plan.. Im a tad nervous about it but hoping that it will work out.

I had always heard about "free" dining and thought wow we should go sometime when they have it. Long story short, went November '11 with free dining on Thanksgiving week and while I loved the trip, I didn't love the dining. I felt like our entire trip was scheduled around ADR's and always felt like I was stuffed. We ended up spending 15 snack credits at Goofy's candy store because we were so full during the day we didn't use them--and we ended up never eating breakfast because we still weren't hungry!---and some of us in our party are not small people.

I'll take a room discount, thank you :).

Yes, I often wonder how families can eat that much food on a hot Aug day. We get room discounts, eat breakfast in the room, light lunch and get good counter service and occasional sit down dinner, We often split meals or eat kid's meals. More than plenty and we don't waste massive time with ADR's, waiting for tables and worry about snack credits. We eat what we want, when we want it.

Free dining was great back in the day but the expectation of it and drop in tips included no longer makes it worth it.

It depends on WHAT you eat. Yes, you can easily over eat, especially at the buffets. We stopped doing character buffets since the kids aren't all that interested anymore and the food quality isn't as good as a regular sit down location where you order off the menu.

We tend to split CS credits at many of our lunches so that cuts down on the amount of food. That way we build some up credits for some light breakfasts or a lunch on the day we leave.

For the TS meals, we tend to eat fish and seafood options which tend to be smaller portions, lighter and less calories.

The food quality between a CS and TS meal is huge in our opinion, with exception of a few CS locations like Wolfgang Puck Express.

I totally agree about the deserts at the CS locations though. We tend not to even order them anymore. They generally aren't that good, or necessary at all.

Dan

I know it doesn't make sense but we like the DDP because it's nice to have it paid in advance. I know it's not cost efficient but it's makes our vacation easier. That being said we have always paid to have the dining. I purposely booked this year's vacation to coincide with Pop Warner week because I know that discounts aka free dining are not offered during this week. May sound stupid but it makes sense in my head anyways :thumbsup2

kiddisney said:
i agree - it creates extra crowds when it's supposed to be a 'slow' time - and it's not even worth it - we never did a dining plan before - but tried one on our last trip & it's way too much food - for the cost we could be fully satisfied for less - and free dining isn't really free - just a hassle all the way around for us

This statement has irritated me more than anything else I've read on the boards. Can you please back it up if you are going to say it? How is free dining not free? There are no hidden costs or fees. Free is free. It may not be the most beneficial discount for your family or you may not enjoy the plan but it IS free. How exactly is it a hassle as well? You walk into one of a zillion restaurants and get free food.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter