• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Am I The Only Dummy To Buy DCL Trip Insurance?

You can cancel the insurance part of your reservation with DCL at any time before the final payment is made since the policy has not been purchased yet. Many people have done this. You are not charged a cancellation fee for doing this.

You treed me!!

However, not what we are beyond the 10 or 14 days from booking wouldn't the prices at other insurances go up?

I was able to get a Cancel for Any Reason 100% full refund policy (not credit to use toward another cruise) for $112 compared to the $305 that DCL offered. Less coverage for more money to use DCL insurance for my case. It was an easy decision for me.

BTW, I used squaremouth.com for my June 2012 trip. I found this provider on these boards. Thanks, Disboards!

I don't get it, it sounds like DCL doesn't cover anything but all other insurances do. Has anybody actually been paidout on DCL insurance?

I'm assuming it's too late for me to make a switch if I had to... eventhough my trip is 17 months away.

DCL coverage will cover for problems onboard such as if you are confined to your room due to illness and it is ordered by the ship's doctor. It will not cover for anything to do with your travel to the port that might delay you from getting on the ship in time if you don't book a flight through DCL. We drive to FL so we would be out of luck if there was an accident or bad weather that caused us to be late. The big thing I learned about was the PEC condition and that it didn't start until the final payment due date with DCL's policy. Life is just too unpredictable for me and with two young kids anything can happen so it doesn't work for all of our "what ifs". You can't protect yourself from all the "what ifs" in life but I feel like I am covering us one way that I can so we aren't out $1000s if it didn't need to happen.

You treed me!!

However, not what we are beyond the 10 or 14 days from booking wouldn't the prices at other insurances go up?

For the PC repo cruise I didn't get the insurance until after I had made our final payment. It is the same price no matter when you book it. The only difference is that the PEC clause is waived for policies purchased within 14 days. You will get the same price either way, at least that was the case for us with AA booked directly. The price is based on the age of the people booking at the time you purchase the insurance and the total cost of your trip. You basically purchase blocks of insurance. The cost for next year's trip will be around $6500 in nonrefundable deposits and hotel rooms. The agent told me that we would be covered up to a total of $8000 because that is the range we fell in.

A) You are never stupid to buy Trip Insurance. ANY insurance is better than none. DCL's policy is not a bad policy. It's just that you can get better policies, with better coverage, and pre-existing condition waivers, usually for a lot less, from outside insurance companies.

B) NancyIL has alread explained why outside insurance can be better than DCL's.

C) DCL's insurance is good if all you are worried about is either getting the cost of the cruise back (or future credited) or covering medical expenses while on the cruise. If you book your flights through DCL, then that's also covered, which is great. But if you don't book the airfare through them, there's a lot of holes in what's covered.

D) If you are looking to get your money back on a cruise, and are not interested in a future cruise credit with DCL, then DCL's insurance is not a wise purchase.

E) Pre-existing condition waivers really only matter if you buy outside insurance OR you bought DCL insurance and don't want a cruise credit. If you buy DCL insurance, if your claim is denied by the insurance company (which it will be for a pre-existing condition) you will get a credit from DCL for 100% of whatever is non-refundable at the time you cancel. So if that's all you care about (getting the credit) you are good to go.

F) Some of what is covered while you are actually *ON* the cruise (like medical coverage) generally has lower bayback limits on the DCL insurance than on comparable outside policies.

G) *LOTS* of people have actually been paid, or gotten future cruise credits from DCL's insurance.

Sayhello

I had to cancel our Disney cruise back in October due to my daughter getting sick and having to be hospitalized. She was released from the hospital prior to the cruise but not physically able to go.

We had the DCL insurance and although I felt as if I were faxing a book of forms, doctor's notes, and hospital reports, what DCL did not refund (which was half of what we paid), the DCL insurance refunded the rest (less the cost of the insurance, of course). So, I was completely reimbursed either by the cruise line or the insurance. Was it a head ache? A little, but overall not too bad and I had received all my money back within a couple of weeks and was just so very thankful I had the insurance!:worship:

We booked a new cruise and are leaving tomorrow for a Sunday departure! YAY!:banana:

This will be our first cruise and when we booked through DCL we honestly didn't know we had options on travel insurance. We bought the DCL one for this cruise. I know we can get it cheaper and next time around I will try pricing through other companies. I consider this kinda like a lesson learned for next time.

Jeeesh, reading some of the threads I now feel like I've been taken because I opted to use DCL trip insurance. Is it really the worst on earth? I mean, I did look into the other sites people are recommending, but kept coming back to the point that if for some reason we cancel I can atleast transfer that money to a future cruise. And the insurance didn't seem all that much different on things covered. So what am I missing, why are people making me feel like a fool for choosing DCL trip insurance?

We are cruising the Disney Dream in June of 2012 with the podcasters.

I don't think you need to feel like a fool--the very fact that you purchased cruise insurance shows that you are trying to be a responsible person. In all likelihood, you won't need the cruise insurance at all, so it will be a moot point. Don't kick yourself for what is already done.

If you don't have a pre-existing condition, their insurance should be absolutely fine. You shouldn't feel taken.

The reason I did not purchase DCL insurance is I have cancer, my husband has a severe heart condition, and my daughter, unforunately, has hypertension at the ripe old age of 14. All of these could be considered pre-existing conditions, and DCL does not insure pre-existing conditions. I have a terrible fear of my husband (or worse, my daughter), having a heart attack, needing to be evacuated off the ship, and then, while we're trying to deal with their recovery and trying to get them better, being stuck with a huge bill for the evacuation and adding extra stress.

Thankfully, we've all been healthy enough to travel for the past year, and we are hopeful that nothing will go wrong before our cruise, but we've had enough bad, scary, surprising things happen that we try to make sure we're covered against the worst exposures, and Disney insurance would not allow us to do that.

A)

C) DCL's insurance is good if all you are worried about is either getting the cost of the cruise back (or future credited) or covering medical expenses while on the cruise. If you book your flights through DCL, then that's also covered, which is great. But if you don't book the airfare through them, there's a lot of holes in what's covered.

E) Pre-existing condition waivers really only matter if you buy outside insurance OR you bought DCL insurance and don't want a cruise credit. If you buy DCL insurance, if your claim is denied by the insurance company (which it will be for a pre-existing condition) you will get a credit from DCL for 100% of whatever is non-refundable at the time you cancel. So if that's all you care about (getting the credit) you are good to go.

Sayhello

Thanks for your input Sayhello. I have been very worried about our Dream cruise next week as my dad is not well. I had no idea about the PEC clause weaving together with the PIF date. I included the insurance for the cruise next week when we booked in August, long before he was in the hospital. However the PIF date was December and he was in the hospital at that time.

In any case, if we have to cancel our February 20th cruise I can use the $ towards our June Med cruise.

To be honest at this point I really don't know if we will be able to go. I would never forgive myself if something happened to him while we were in the Bahamas or on Castaway. I need to be able to get on a plane at any time and being on a cruise doesn't fit that criteria. I don't know what to do.

I did book the DCL insurance for both cruises as it is the easiest option for me (in a very stressful situation you need to have confidence in your insurance company). I would hope that if something did happen they would stand by their own insurance. With another company it could be a battle, depending on the circumstances. I personally feel safer with DCL insurance as well.

3. Don't you have to purchase the coverage of existing conditions if you choose a 3rd party company? Does that take it over the cost of DCL pricing? I'm not sure what they can get any of my family on in regards to pre-existing conditions? I suppose any thing that occurs could be considered a pre-existing condition and every claim could be denied. Has there been a problem with them denying lots of claims?

It depends on the policy. The policy we bought waives the pre-existing condition clause if you purchase it within 14 days of making your initial payment.

When I read reviews of various brands of travel insurance, most of the complaints (and all companies had some) seemed to be focussed around pre-existing conditions exclusions. Apparently, the companies denied claims due to pre-existing conditions that the purchasers do not feel are preexisting. (I do have some pre-existing conditions, so I wanted to make sure the insurance we bought does not have that loophole.)

I am now confused- and starting to panic. I want to make sure I am understanding everything right. We have our trip insurance through DCL. We booked over a year ago but won't make our final payment until March 5th. So we can cancel our trip insurance with DCL and get it with another company if we do it before March 5th, right? My son has a heart condition- am I understanding correctly that if something happens with his heart and he can't travel that it won't be covered? Also if something happens with his heart and he has to be flown somewhere when we are on the cruise, his medical expenses won't be covered? Since we are driving, if we have an accident on the way, we won't be covered? If we can't get a refund because of some of these circumstances, will they credit us towards another trip or do we get nothing since it is a pre-existing condition?

I am thinking we really need to get trip insurance the covers pre-existing conditions. I know there are some if you get it within 14 days of deposit, but are there some that I could get now that would cover pre-existing conditions? Also, we are a family of 6 in 2 connecting rooms. I am in one room with 2 boys and my husband is in the other with the other boys. If something happens to one of us and we can't go and it is covered by the trip insurance, will it cover only the people in the same room or will it cover both rooms? Because if there is no way half of us are going without the other half

Don't panic. :) You still have time to get insurance that will cover a PEC. Traveler's has a policy that I have heard here covers them. You will pay a bit more but you can get insurance for his condition. I would actually call the companies directly though and not go through a website that deals with several. They will be able to answer your specific questions regarding your family's circumstances and anything that might be needed to care for your son. You would get the policy for your family which would include the cost of both rooms. Have a list of questions when you call.

This is the link to an old insurance booklet. Page 15 has the PEC exclusion information. The coverage for emergency medical care is also limited to $30,000 per person. The limits for other things is on page 4.

http://adisneycruise.disney.go.com/media/dcl_v0206/en_US/media/myCruise/VacationInsurance.pdf

I am shopping elsewhere for insurance for our vacation this summer because I want ONE policy to cover everything. We're doing a Med cruise AND adding time on land before & after in Paris & Barcelona. I booked our own airfare so I want to insure hotels, air & cruise. DCL's insurance is only going to do the cruise portion.... I priced the DCL insurance just so I would know....it was like $100 more and it only covered the 7-nights of the cruise. I can insure the entire 15 night trip including the air for closer to $300....

My sister and I had to cancel a trip last fall due to a family illness. DCL insurance handled everything without really asking too many questions. That was the 1st time I took out trip insurance and will continue to purchase it from now on!

I paid a little less than the DCL insurance. My DD does have a pre existing condition that I am concerned about. The biggest concern was having the airfare covered. Booking the air through Disney was crazy expensive. We are sailing the last week of August so it is hurricane season. My understanding if the ship can't get back to Cape Canaveral and had to return to New Orleans for example, I would be on my own to get back home. Buying 4 tickets last minute could be really expensive.

I am now confused- and starting to panic. I want to make sure I am understanding everything right. We have our trip insurance through DCL. We booked over a year ago but won't make our final payment until March 5th. So we can cancel our trip insurance with DCL and get it with another company if we do it before March 5th, right? My son has a heart condition- am I understanding correctly that if something happens with his heart and he can't travel that it won't be covered? Also if something happens with his heart and he has to be flown somewhere when we are on the cruise, his medical expenses won't be covered? Since we are driving, if we have an accident on the way, we won't be covered? If we can't get a refund because of some of these circumstances, will they credit us towards another trip or do we get nothing since it is a pre-existing condition?

I am thinking we really need to get trip insurance the covers pre-existing conditions. I know there are some if you get it within 14 days of deposit, but are there some that I could get now that would cover pre-existing conditions? Also, we are a family of 6 in 2 connecting rooms. I am in one room with 2 boys and my husband is in the other with the other boys. If something happens to one of us and we can't go and it is covered by the trip insurance, will it cover only the people in the same room or will it cover both rooms? Because if there is no way half of us are going without the other half

If I understand this correctly, (and I would call the insurer and MAKE SURE! I don't want to be responsible for leading your wrong) you can still get this policy with a pre-existing conditions waiver:

http://www.tripinsurancestore.com/csa.shtml

I would strongly recommend, if your child has a heart condition, that you not use Disney's if you are able to get insurance for the pre-existing condition.

HTH Worldwide (sold at insuremytrip.com or their own website) sells a couple of policies where, if you purchase within 24 hours of your final trip payment, you can get a pre-existing condition waiver. They tend to be a bit more expensive, but you *can* get the waiver. But you still want to call them and make sure that the waiver would cover your son's condition. Just to be on the safe side.

Yes, you can cancel the DCL insurance up until the PIF date.

Yes, if your son has a heart condition that is not "stable" at the time the insurance is purchased (and within the insurance company's look-back period, generally 60 to 180 days) then his expenses, etc, would not be covered unless you had a pre-existing condition waiver. Neither would yours if you canceled because of him.

Also check with the insurance company, because many (most) will cover travel companions, but you have to find out specifically what they consider to be travel companions. Each company is different.

Sayhello

There are also policies with "cancel for any reason" clauses. Again, they are probably more expensive than other policies... but then you don't have to worry about which reasons are covered.

WE use Travel Guard. They do have a cancel for any reason policy. I think it added $50 to the policy last trip. We like it because it covers everything. The htoels, flights, cruise tickets...everything. And kids are free.

HTH Worldwide (sold at insuremytrip.com or their own website) sells a couple of policies where, if you purchase within 24 hours of your final trip payment, you can get a pre-existing condition waiver. They tend to be a bit more expensive, but you *can* get the waiver. But you still want to call them and make sure that the waiver would cover your son's condition. Just to be on the safe side.

CSA is another company that has the waiver of pre-existing conditions as long as it is purchased within 24 hours of making the final trip payment.

When I'm pretty sure about a trip, I usually buy the insurance within the time period to get the waiver of pre-existing conditions. When I'm not sure I'll actually go on the cruise, I wait until later to buy insurance.

For those of you who book "dummy dates" while on a DCL cruise with the intention of changing to a different date - your first trip payment starts the clock running for purposes of covering pre-existing conditions.

I bought DCL's trip insurance for our upcoming Med cruise. It was cheaper, although it didn't cover pre-existing conditions. I thought it was a fair price, and DCL will let you book another cruise in the future if there are conditions not covered by them.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter