Am I really already thinking about NYE in Disney?

jvalic33

Mouseketeer
We are staying at BRV at the Wilderness Lodge this year and arriving around noon, on 12/30, by car.

We travel to Disney almost once a year but this is our first time being at this resort and on an actual holiday!

I'm so excited to do all the special events and really finding it hard to narrow things down.

Everyone says to do Epcot on 12/31 and MK on 12/30, but I am leaning to the opposite because the Cookie Stroll and Holiday Booths ended on 12/30 this year.

• So far my plan is to arrive at Epcot, ride GotG (our favorite ride right now - although not with the holiday overlay - we caught the end of it last year)
  • Do the cookie stroll and Holiday Booths (do those even come close to F&W?)
  • do the Olaf scavenger hunt and just soak in Epcot, probably not stay for Fireworks but maybe grab a bite to eat at the new Japanese restaurant or maybe I should save that for an Epcot day later in the week since we might be full from the other food
Then on 12/31 my plan was to take it easy and have a nice breakfast, stack some LLs, head into the park, ride what I could and get in line for the Christmas parade - how awesome is this parade will we want to see it twice? Is the music as good as the Boo to you?

After that, I might make a ressie to eat around 4:30pm and then catch the 6:30 Firework show. Is that exactly the same as the one at midnight?

Then I was thinking of heading back to our resort and taking advantage of the activities and treats at the Wilderness Lodge? Did anyone do this last year? Did they have special food and the charcuterie platter to go in 2022? What time do they do smores?

Thank you for all your advice. I am obviously an overplanner. I don't mind when things aren't perfect, but I like to know what I don't want to miss!

So long as you can deal with this being the most crowded time of the year, then you'll have a great time. We didn't do the activities at the lodge when we were there but did visit to see the decorations and such. Just budget a lot of time and expect lines and crowds for everything. Get up early to get done what you want and enjoy yourself.
We always enjoyed the parades and take time to see them. We did the Christmas party the time we went and made time for the parade both times it was going. We got partially rained out but the parade was still on and we enjoyed it. Saw it again on Christmas day. If you like parades, it's a good show.

So long as you can deal with this being the most crowded time of the year, then you'll have a great time. We didn't do the activities at the lodge when we were there but did visit to see the decorations and such. Just budget a lot of time and expect lines and crowds for everything. Get up early to get done what you want and enjoy yourself.
We always enjoyed the parades and take time to see them. We did the Christmas party the time we went and made time for the parade both times it was going. We got partially rained out but the parade was still on and we enjoyed it. Saw it again on Christmas day. If you like parades, it's a good show.
I don't know if I would say we loooove parades, but we did love the Boo to You...that music is just so catchy! It's not easy to make it over to Disney on the holidays so I definitely want to catch it.

I can forego rides and such for other things that are less popular. We can totally do the Tiki room with our youngest and have a blast. Will I feel bad not staying until midnight or is the 6:30pm Fireworks show just as good?

We skipped out after Christmas so I couldn't tell you on NYE fireworks. I like them, my wife doesn't so we skip them a lot. I think the other stuff is a lot better than crowded fireworks so don't feel too guilty, just enjoy the time as best you can. The Christmas parade is almost as good as Halloween (but not quite).
Genie+ will probably sell out quick but might be able to get you on some rides easier (and they may have new changes to that system by then)

Will I feel bad not staying until midnight or is the 6:30pm Fireworks show just as good?

The midnight show has the actual countdown and was so much fun. We did the dessert party which was amazing! The worst was when we headed out into the absolute crush/standstill of people exiting the park. 🥴 You’d definitely avoid that leaving earlier. I’d personally have fomo not being in the park, but you could also head over to the dock area around midnight to catch the high fireworks.

We are going 12/26-1/1 this year and already have our reservations, so I have been thinking of it also! We have done NYE before and I think this year it will be our best trip yet. I love the Epcot fire works on the 31st but it is no joke trying to get back after. Hours and hours to get a bus and get back to the room. This year we are at BLT for the 30th and RR for the 31st. Both locations are going to be spectacular. We will probably watch the midnight fireworks on the 30th from the hotel bridge at BLT but will actually be in Epcot for theirs, I love being part of the crowd there. So exciting!! I hope you love your trip.

We did NYE in Mk in 2019, ringing in 2020. Had dinner reservation at MK and did dessert party to ring in the New Year and see the castle fireworks. Dessert party was pricey, but so glad we had a place to sit, eat and great spot so see the show. People start claiming their spot in front of the castle very, very early.

We are going 12/26-1/1 this year and already have our reservations, so I have been thinking of it also! We have done NYE before and I think this year it will be our best trip yet. I love the Epcot fire works on the 31st but it is no joke trying to get back after. Hours and hours to get a bus and get back to the room. This year we are at BLT for the 30th and RR for the 31st. Both locations are going to be spectacular. We will probably watch the midnight fireworks on the 30th from the hotel bridge at BLT but will actually be in Epcot for theirs, I love being part of the crowd there. So exciting!! I hope you love your trip.
Let me know how your plans come together. I am tempted to do Epcot. The idea of celebrations as each country hits midnight is pretty cool. We're not big stay up until midnight people so I'm tempted to take it easy, but I do have a fomo on the parties.

I will say NYD is pretty awesome in the morning because people definitely sleep in and that is a big plus if you do get out there in the morning. You don't even have to rope drop to have low waits, from my experience arriving that day in the past.

We did NYE in Mk in 2019, ringing in 2020. Had dinner reservation at MK and did dessert party to ring in the New Year and see the castle fireworks. Dessert party was pricey, but so glad we had a place to sit, eat and great spot so see the show. People start claiming their spot in front of the castle very, very early.
I would definitely pay for a dessert party. That is a good idea. If you do the dessert party does it just start before the midnight fireworks or for the earlier one as well? Are there two seatings? I'll have to research that a bit more. I really hate pushing through crowds of people. I grew up in NYC and sometimes had to pull myself into train cars during rush hour, so I'm no stranger to crowds, but doing it with kids and a stroller and cranky people in the Florida heat is just not much fun. That's why I'm leaning towards 6:30 fireworks and taking it easy later. So much to think about. Thanks for the input.

I would definitely pay for a dessert party. That is a good idea. If you do the dessert party does it just start before the midnight fireworks or for the earlier one as well? Are there two seatings? I'll have to research that a bit more. I really hate pushing through crowds of people. I grew up in NYC and sometimes had to pull myself into train cars during rush hour, so I'm no stranger to crowds, but doing it with kids and a stroller and cranky people in the Florida heat is just not much fun. That's why I'm leaning towards 6:30 fireworks and taking it easy later. So much to think about. Thanks for the input.
We did the dessert party that had us seating in the area closest to the castle that was protected if it rained. A little more money than the one the one across from us and the ones that offered viewing on the lawn outside. After we were seated, we went to get some food. I dont remember how long it was before the fireworks started but I don't think it was terribly long. After the fireworks was the WORST crowds I've ever encountered anywhere. I held on to my daughter tightly. Thankfully staying at WL and made a bee line for the boats. The CM on the boat said there was over 80,000 people in the MK that night and not unusual for guests who drove to take 3 hours just to get out of parking lot.

Let me know how your plans come together. I am tempted to do Epcot. The idea of celebrations as each country hits midnight is pretty cool. We're not big stay up until midnight people so I'm tempted to take it easy, but I do have a fomo on the parties.

I will say NYD is pretty awesome in the morning because people definitely sleep in and that is a big plus if you do get out there in the morning. You don't even have to rope drop to have low waits, from my experience arriving that day in the past.
We have done NYE in Epcot before, and I really love the experience. This year since we are so close to the park we will probably go in a bit later. I loved the parties in each country..the chinese dragon, the silent rave. When we have gone before the people have generally been in a fun mood for the night so the crowds didn't seem so bad. I hope that will be true for this year.

We have done NYE in Epcot before, and I really love the experience. This year since we are so close to the park we will probably go in a bit later. I loved the parties in each country..the chinese dragon, the silent rave. When we have gone before the people have generally been in a fun mood for the night so the crowds didn't seem so bad. I hope that will be true for this year.
We did the dessert party that had us seating in the area closest to the castle that was protected if it rained. A little more money than the one the one across from us and the ones that offered viewing on the lawn outside. After we were seated, we went to get some food. I dont remember how long it was before the fireworks started but I don't think it was terribly long. After the fireworks was the WORST crowds I've ever encountered anywhere. I held on to my daughter tightly. Thankfully staying at WL and made a bee line for the boats. The CM on the boat said there was over 80,000 people in the MK that night and not unusual for guests who drove to take 3 hours just to get out of parking lot.
That's good advice...being out of the rain. How was the view? How was a food? Was that only for the ~midnight fireworks show?

Ooh i never thought about NYE at WDW before.
What's it like at WDW from Jan 1 onward? This year our school winter break extends into the first week of Jan.

Ooh i never thought about NYE at WDW before.
What's it like at WDW from Jan 1 onward? This year our school winter break extends into the first week of Jan.
We have done NYD 2 years in a row now and love it, although we are not first timers and don't mind if we don't get on things. While ILLs are not my favorite, at least you are guaranteed to not have to wait for a couple of the headliners and we love that the decorations are still up. NYD we found to not have bad crowds in the am if you are able to make it into the parks early and the traffic arriving on NYD is nothing because people are still sleeping in.

For us it feels like we extend the Christmas Holiday by being there and because we take advantage of another holiday, work doesn't miss us as much.

There are a few things that end on 12/31 like holiday treats and some activities, but the parks still feel very festive and there are some things that continue for that first week.

FWIW, we did NYE at EPCOT last year and thought it was one of the most impressive fireworks displays (at least in terms of quantity!) we'd ever seen, and would consider it again, but the crowds in EPCOT were insane all evening. If you plan to stay late, try to get an ADR around 9 or 10 to give yourself a break away from the crowds everywhere. We were very excited about the idea of marking the New Year in each pavilion as it hid midnight in the home country, but we barely noticed it in the park. We were in line for the Frozen ride when it hit midnight in Norway and there was a big brief cheer and then everybody went on as they were before. I'm not sure if there was a calendar of official celebration activities that I missed or what.

I also wanted to mention that the GOTG holiday overlay continued at least a day (if not longer) after they said it would end.

We really enjoy the holiday kitchens-- some are excellent and some are so-so. I didn't think that many of the cookie stroll cookies were all that delicious, but my kids LOVED doing the cookie stroll "challenge" and we got GOTG Holiday Special pins that remind us of a wonderful family trip, so I would do it again. :)

That's good advice...being out of the rain. How was the view? How was a food? Was that only for the ~midnight fireworks show?
Had a great view. We were seated by the railling and right in front of the castle. The desserts were good. I think there was an ice cream station too. This right before Covid hit. Yes, midnight fireworks. It was great.

FWIW, we did NYE at EPCOT last year and thought it was one of the most impressive fireworks displays (at least in terms of quantity!) we'd ever seen, and would consider it again, but the crowds in EPCOT were insane all evening. If you plan to stay late, try to get an ADR around 9 or 10 to give yourself a break away from the crowds everywhere. We were very excited about the idea of marking the New Year in each pavilion as it hid midnight in the home country, but we barely noticed it in the park. We were in line for the Frozen ride when it hit midnight in Norway and there was a big brief cheer and then everybody went on as they were before. I'm not sure if there was a calendar of official celebration activities that I missed or what.

I also wanted to mention that the GOTG holiday overlay continued at least a day (if not longer) after they said it would end.

We really enjoy the holiday kitchens-- some are excellent and some are so-so. I didn't think that many of the cookie stroll cookies were all that delicious, but my kids LOVED doing the cookie stroll "challenge" and we got GOTG Holiday Special pins that remind us of a wonderful family trip, so I would do it again. :)
I'm not excited per se about the cookie stroll, but I suspect my kids would love it too and the 30th is the last day they had it this past year.

GOTG overlay lasted a few days into the New Year. It was supposed to end before we got there, but it didn't. We only had the normal music towards the last day or two of our stay.

Being that we're at Wilderness Lodge, I think I might have to forego the NYE at Epcot because I think that would just be too much of a trek to get back to the resort at night which is why I'm leaning to MK for NYE. Excitement or not, I think the ease of transport back home will make a big difference.

Then I was thinking of heading back to our resort and taking advantage of the activities and treats at the Wilderness Lodge?

Be aware your boat might be shutdown so plan on the bus likely. They shut down boats and even the walking path to VGF/POLY last year at the 4th of July and have to think its similar at NYE.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!