Alternative Break Trip to GKTW

Mouse Skywalker

<font color=green>The Force is strong with this Po
Hello Everyone: Wish me luck today. I'm pitching an idea to the leadership of the college I work at to lead an alternative break trip to GKTW. My idea is to take a group of students down to Orlando to work at the Village for a week in January. This would be between the Fall and Spring semesters. We'll see how the idea flies. I've already pitched the idea to a few people, and now I have to give a formal presentation to the board.

How awesome is that Dave?

When I was a camp counselor, we has a saying. It was "I am third."
The meaning behind it was G~d was first, friends and family second, and yourself third.

Dave, you are the embodiment of this sentiment.

It is an honor to know such a selfless and kind man, let alone call him a friend.

I hope your proposal is well received.:thumbsup2

What a great idea, Dave! I think that if you teach kids at a young age that it is a satisfying thing to volunteer it is easier to do when they are older.

Thanks so much Todd, I really appreciate the sentiment, and I am so glad to have you as a friend too. Don't put me on a pedestal too much though. I do get a lot of satisfaction and reward for doing these types of activities. Plus, it gives me a work-related reason to come down to Orlando in January. :thumbsup2 I'm just trying to combine my work duties with my Disney hobby.

BTW: I noticed you're planning on coming down for the Marathon weekend. My Alternative Break proposal is for the week after the marathon. Care to stick around and be a "chaperone"? I need one adult for each four college students. I "think" you qualify as an adult (probably as much as I do). ;)

What a great idea, Dave! I think that if you teach kids at a young age that it is a satisfying thing to volunteer it is easier to do when they are older.
I totally agree with that Nicole, and there's even literature to back that statement up. My Mother was organized an ran a Meals-On-Wheels when I was growing up, and I remember spending many hours in the Meals-On-Wheels kitchen, going on routes with my Mom (and other people), and I think it had a huge impact on me. I don't know that my Mother ever knew how much of an effect it did have on who I became as a person.

Dave, best of luck with the pitch! A fantastic idea! You are a great person and I'm sure GKTW would be soooo happy you are attempting to get this done on their behalf.

It was a pleasure running with you Dave. Todd is right...You are awesome for doing this my friend!

I totally agree with that Nicole, and there's even literature to back that statement up. My Mother was organized an ran a Meals-On-Wheels when I was growing up, and I remember spending many hours in the Meals-On-Wheels kitchen, going on routes with my Mom (and other people), and I think it had a huge impact on me. I don't know that my Mother ever knew how much of an effect it did have on who I became as a person.

We need to do more with our girls. We tried one Thanksgiving to go and volunteer at a homeless shelter, and they didn't want us :( I thoroughly enjoy all the volunteering that I do. It's hard to put yourself out there sometimes, though. If you can start when you are young it becomes no big deal.

I can't wait to hear what you find out!

Dave,
I think that is a wonderful proposal, and I hope it works out for you! I'm sure GKTW will be thrilled to have all that help, and I know the students will get a lot of satisfaction from doing something that helps others!
Good luck!

Thanks so much Todd, I really appreciate the sentiment, and I am so glad to have you as a friend too. Don't put me on a pedestal too much though. I do get a lot of satisfaction and reward for doing these types of activities. Plus, it gives me a work-related reason to come down to Orlando in January. :thumbsup2 I'm just trying to combine my work duties with my Disney hobby.

BTW: I noticed you're planning on coming down for the Marathon weekend. My Alternative Break proposal is for the week after the marathon. Care to stick around and be a "chaperone"? I need one adult for each four college students. I "think" you qualify as an adult (probably as much as I do). ;)

Let me know. I think I could talk my boss into this. He is big about giving back in ways that are not monetary.

:thumbsup2 love it!! It would be a great thing for the kids to experience!! :thumbsup2:thumbsup2:goodvibes

Dave, good luck!!! If you need help or a chaperone please let me know. I would be glad to help.

OK, I only have a second to post - so this is a quick drive by. I was thinking they were going to run out of time in the meeting before they got to me. They turned to my proposal with 10 minutes left (and I had about 6 pages to go through). I spoke a mile a minute. The chair of the meeting said thanks, and we'll table the idea until the next meeting which is not until August.

Noooooooooooooooooooo! The academic world moves so slowly.

Then, another board member speaks up and says, this is a great idea I don't think anyone here has any trouble with it. I think we can approve it so Dave can move ahead with it and start making arrangements. They made a motion, and it was approved unanimously!

There WILL be an alternative break trip in January to GKTW from my SUNY/Geneseo! Yahoo!!!

Congrats Dave!!! What a great thing for the school to participate in. And a great excuse to be in Orlando is January too.

OK, I only have a second to post - so this is a quick drive by. I was thinking they were going to run out of time in the meeting before they got to me. They turned to my proposal with 10 minutes left (and I had about 6 pages to go through). I spoke a mile a minute. The chair of the meeting said thanks, and we'll table the idea until the next meeting which is not until August.

Noooooooooooooooooooo! The academic world moves so slowly.

Then, another board member speaks up and says, this is a great idea I don't think anyone here has any trouble with it. I think we can approve it so Dave can move ahead with it and start making arrangements. They made a motion, and it was approved unanimously!

There WILL be an alternative break trip in January to GKTW from my SUNY/Geneseo! Yahoo!!!

Way to go, Dave! Let us know here if you need anything

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter