Alternate Routes to Florida

Shebbieal

Mouseketeer
There is talk on the news that I 75 and I 95 will be made northbound ONLY to aid evacuations.

Anyone coming down south in the near future make alternate highway plans just in case.

Travel safe !

Sherry

They talked about that during the Frances evacuation but never actually did it. In my opinion, if they had to evacuate so many people from Florida due to Ivan that they needed to reverse the flow on the southbound lanes, you have <b><i>no business</i></b> trying to come <b><i>in</i></b> to Florida.

Originally posted by Dave_from_Marietta
They talked about that during the Frances evacuation but never actually did it. In my opinion, if they had to evacuate so many people from Florida due to Ivan that they needed to reverse the flow on the southbound lanes, you have <b><i>no business</i></b> trying to come <b><i>in</i></b> to Florida.

That is so true Dave. They are predicting Ivan to be a Cat 5 by the time it hits Jamaica and then to strengthen again when it hit Florida. I have a reservation in Disney to use as evacuation from Naples since we're the start of the hit list and I'm praying that they do open up I-75 to only northbound so we can safely get out of here and not get stuck on the roads. It's a scary thing to once again have to board up our houses, pray for the best and run from a potentially life threatening storm. We had reservations to go to Atlanta, but since gas is so short around here and up and down the west coast, we figured we may not make it. We'll start in Orlando knowing that we can head north, south, east, or west from there.
It cracks us up down here that as we're all fleeing and being evacuated, Jeb Bush is telling us that no where is safe yet in Florida until the storm gets closer, people are trying to figure out back roads to get down here. If we're all leaving, doesn't that tell you something. We don't even know if going to Orlando is the right thing for our families or if we're bringing them into harms way.
My advice to everyone is to keep an very close eye on the projection of the storm, keep far away from it and stay safe.

Originally posted by cjsmith
I have a reservation in Disney to use as evacuation from Naples since we're the start of the hit list and I'm praying that they do open up I-75 to only northbound so we can safely get out of here and not get stuck on the roads. My advice to everyone is to keep an very close eye on the projection of the storm, keep far away from it and stay safe.

Cj,
What is their cancellation policy during this storm? I don't know what to do! I have reservations in Miami, Orlando and Voldasta, GA. All different days. Some have 24 hour cancel policy, so I ahve to cancel Saturday. My preference would be to go to Miami.
When are you leaving Naples?
I'm really scared about this storm.

Originally posted by CPM
Cj,
What is their cancellation policy during this storm? I don't know what to do! I have reservations in Miami, Orlando and Voldasta, GA. All different days. Some have 24 hour cancel policy, so I ahve to cancel Saturday. My preference would be to go to Miami.
When are you leaving Naples?
I'm really scared about this storm.

Cheryl, isn't this such an God awful way to keep living? Disney told me that if we can't get to them, I could cancel because of the hurricane and they would waive the 5 day policy. I can't believe that they were able to get me a florida resident rate at the Yacht Club. It seems to be that most places can't hold you their policies. Where were you able to get into in Miami? That looks like the way to go now. WE still have to board up, so I"m not sure when we're leaving. OUr friends left last night and got to Orlando without any problems.
I agree, this storm has me scared out of my wits. I can't sleep and I've been so sick to my stomach. We lived through this stress all last weekend as my relatives from Jupiter were here for 5 days and were so stressed. I'm sick of the weather channel!
I have reservations for Disney next weekend and want so badly to finally be able to keep my plans since Francis ruined our anniversary trip last weekend.

Carolyn and Cheryl, good luck with this. Everyone in Orlando knows how scary this must be for you giys.

Just so you know, Disney was amazing to us with their cancellation policy after Charley. We stayed there because we couldn't take the no water, no phones, no air in our house. When our power and water came back on, they allowed us to cancel that day, and credited us with the additional 2 days we had booked. No penalties at all once I told them why we were cancelling, and they credited my card within about 2 days.

Thanks Marcy. When I got the room yesterday, I asked how having to cancel if we couldn't get through the traffic or get enough gas as it was out all over town yesterday. She told me no problem, they certainly wouldn't penalize me for things out of my control. I think I'm going to cancel it for tonight and leave tomorrow. Even if we're out of the woods for the eye, it would be a break for us and we wouldn't have to be in the dark with the storm raging around us. I love living on the coast and 1 mile from the beach, but not today! Our friend is the person in charge of the computers that track and he told us that the 145 mph winds were only 1.5 miles off our coast for Charley so we so lucked out. Can we be that lucky again? If so, I'm going to have to start playing the lottery!!

Originally posted by cjsmith
Cheryl, isn't this such an God awful way to keep living? Disney told me that if we can't get to them, I could cancel because of the hurricane and they would waive the 5 day policy. I can't believe that they were able to get me a florida resident rate at the Yacht Club. It seems to be that most places can't hold you their policies. Where were you able to get into in Miami? That looks like the way to go now. WE still have to board up, so I"m not sure when we're leaving.

We have a small condo on the beach in Sunny Isles. It looks like it may be okay to go to the East coast. I'm just worried because it's on the beach, and it's an older buliding. I also haven't slept and I have a wicked cold. I'm mentally and physically exhausted! I think I should turn the weather channel off for a while!!
Good luck, and thanks CJ & Carolyn.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter