Aloha! ***Welcome to the NEW Poly FAQ***

Status
Not open for further replies.
The Tikimanpages has the amount of time it takes to reach the TTC (and GCH) from every longhouse on his site. Just click on the longhouse and it will display an overhead image with the times.

Gotta love the detail on those Tikiman pages. :thumbsup2

Speaking of Tonga Toast - I purchased one of the recipe books and looking forward to trying to make Tonga Toast and the Le Cellier Canadian Cheddar Cheese Soup!!!!!:woohoo:

You might also want to check out this forum right here on the Disboards:
http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=1575103
Fellow disboarders get recipes from Disney Chefs, cookbooks, and who knows where else for most of the great items we all know and love at WDW...
They've got both the items you named - and hundreds more! They have the Filet & Wild Mushroom Risotto from LC, The Filet W/ Mac & Cheese from Jiko, etc. They're a real bunch of foodies that frequent this particular forum - and you'll find many WDW Signature recipes - as well as a recipe for Dole Whip! I just love reading it - and many post pics as well!!
Like you tho, I like & collect cookbooks too!
Gretchen

When I came home today my ME tickets and luggage tags were waiting for me, whoo hoo!!!:cool1:

I am second guessing my room request, what do you all think? First stay at Poly 1/30-2/6 me, DH, DS(6), DS(4) and DS(1). I requested first floor near volcano pool and now I am not sure if first floor is the way to go. Our original thought is that we will have a stroller and we will avoid the elevators. But, now I am wondering if we 1)will miss out on some of these awsome views people are posting being on the ground and 2)if it would be better to be on the third floor to have a balcony to contain the kids rather than the patio.

I am second guessing my room request, what do you all think? First stay at Poly 1/30-2/6 me, DH, DS(6), DS(4) and DS(1). I requested first floor near volcano pool and now I am not sure if first floor is the way to go. Our original thought is that we will have a stroller and we will avoid the elevators. But, now I am wondering if we 1)will miss out on some of these awsome views people are posting being on the ground and 2)if it would be better to be on the third floor to have a balcony to contain the kids rather than the patio.

If I was concerned about containing the kids, I'd probably want one of the second floor rooms in a longhouse that doesn't have a balcony...but that's the only reason that I could see for not wanting a balcony. I requested a third floor room (just to make sure we'd get a balcony). We'll probably have a stroller, but I can't imagine that the elevators will be too much of an impediment for us.

Lots of people with little kids who like to run and play request 1st floor rooms. If you need to contain them, you can just lock the door. IMO the elevators are slow and it's nice to not have to wait for them. We use the stairs, but don't have a stroller anymore.

Don't stress too much on your request since you may not get what you ask for anyway. You could say you prefer 1st then 3rd, or 3rd then 1st, but since they won't guarantee it it's nothing to worry too much over.:)

We had young kids the first year we stayed here and requested a higher floor with a balcony. It was just fine but when we returned this year, I requested the ground floor and I liked it so much better. A balcony or patio is a must for spraying sunscreen, having kids eat while other kids/adults get ready inside, and just to have some separate space. The patio is really neat because the kids can see all the critters - like ducks and rabbits - that venture by. I also like it because you can leave out the patio to walk to the beach or whatever - BUT you can't leave out your patio door unless you leave it unlocked! So even if you want to exit the room (all of you), you have to have one person lock the patio door, then leave out the regular door. Just something to keep in mind!

We are staying at Poly for the first time next November. I am trying to decide which building would be best to request. I'm trying not to spend too much time fretting over this because I realize that it is only a request, but I would appreciate some input. My girls will be 1 and 5- would it be better to be by the GCH and the Volcanoe pool or the TTC. From what I understand, we can take the monorail from the GCH it just has more stops then, right?

We are staying at Poly for the first time next November. I am trying to decide which building would be best to request. I'm trying not to spend too much time fretting over this because I realize that it is only a request, but I would appreciate some input. My girls will be 1 and 5- would it be better to be by the GCH and the Volcanoe pool or the TTC. From what I understand, we can take the monorail from the GCH it just has more stops then, right?

If it were me with kids those ages, I'd want to be close to the GCH. You can take the monorail from there, around to the TTC, and transfer to the Epcot express monorail...but the monorail departing from the Poly will also stop at GF, MK, CR, and then the TTC.

We stayed in the Tahiti longhouse last week, and it was probably a 2-3 minute walk to the GCH, and about 5-6 minute walk to the Epcot monorail, at the TTC.

I would rather be near the GCH and the pools. We stayed near the volcano pool and it's still not that bad of a walk to the Epcot monorail. But with little kids, IMO it's better to be close to the pool. Also, there's a boat dock near the volcano pool with shuttle service to the MK. We often opted to take the boat to the MK and the monorail back to the Poly.:)

I believe it is much easier and faster to walk to the TTC from ANY building at the Poly than to transfer monorails at the TTC (even the furthest from the TTC, Tuvalu or Aotearoa), especially when going TO Epcot.

To do the transfer option, you have to walk to the GCH, wait for the elevator (if you have a stroller), wait for the resort monorail, stop at GF, MK, CR then TTC, walk down one ramp, walk up the other ramp (you don't just step across the platform) and then wait for the Epcot monorail.

Instead, you could simply walk to the TTC (2-12 minutes on average, depending on your longhouse) and take the direct Epcot monorail. It is also easier in many cases to take direct buses from the TTC to DHS and AK, rather than the Poly buses, which often stop at the other monorail resorts.

Samoa is nice and centrally located, and so are Niue, Rarotonga and Tokelau, but honestly, it is a compact resort, and nothing is very far from anything IMO. The real trick, if you are aiming to save time and minimize steps, is finding the most direct route from one point to the other. Study the map before you leave, orient yourself on the day you arrive, wander the beautiful grounds. You'll be surprised how easy it really is to get around. You can even cut through buildings (except Hawaii) to stay dry(ish) on rainy days.

My kids were 4,7 and 10 when we visited in May. We chose Tahiti specificly because it was close to the TTC. We knew for at least 4 days we would be commuting back and forth between the MK and Epcot. We were going to be doing that alot more than were were going to be a the GCH. We had the luau our first night so no rush. We had Ohana breakfast our last morning so no rush but the days we were heading to Epcot and MK we were much more pressed for time and as you know, with little ones it seems everything goes wrong when you need to be there on time :laughing:

Several things you might want to consider about tahiti. First the quiet pool is just on the other side of Tokelau. Secound Tahiti beach is a wonderful place for a young family to see the fireworks. There is no music but we had the beach all to ourselves twice. The kids got to play in the sand and watch fireworks. Mom and dad watched from the Hammock. If you have children that are afraid of the noise this is a great place to be. Also if they are melting down you can still see the show and be in a very calm environment just steps from your room. If you want to see the water show you will need to go to the point which is a very short and beautiful walk with all the Tiki torches. Being a little farther out does make you appreciate the grounds and relax a bit more epecially at night.

You really cant fo wrong at the Poly;)

I recommend:
Tokelau - It's a good 'middle' location. You are right next to the quiet pool and the beach. Short walk to GCH & Pool but still closer to the TTC than most of the other longhouses (but not so far out there).
Ground floor - Just a preference but I like the roomy feel of it and seeing all the critters in the morning (ducks, rabbits).

It is absolutely quicker to walk to the TTC than to take the monorail from Poly/GF/MK/Cont/TTC. Don't do that, just walk to the TTC (it is not far AT ALL - I've walked there with my young kids & strollers & some old folks :)

A question about Wishes music...

I understand that some of the beaches at Poly have the sound piped in and others don't. Where do I need to be in order to hear the music?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Our Dreams Unlimited Travel Agents will assist you in booking the perfect Disney getaway, all at no extra cost to you. Get the most out of your vacation by letting us assist you with dining and park reservations, provide expert advice, answer any questions, and continuously search for discounts to ensure you get the best deal possible.

CLICK HERE

facebook twitter