Allergy question

FigmentForEver1976

Mouseketeer
I was looking over the allergy menus. I see they have peanut and tree nut allergies together, and noticed that I shouldn't eat the waffles. Do any of you know which nut they use in these? I'm only allgeric to Almonds and really want some waffles!

Interesting about the nuts in the waffles...I don't know the answer, but I do know that the chefs will definitely be able to tell you and if you contact Disney ahead of time, they may be able to send you the information. I think Special.Diets@DisneyWorld.com is the contact info.

Oh I hate that they group them together. Peanut is a legume, not a nut, and plenty of people are allergic to one and not the other! My son is allergic to tree nuts, and not peanuts. He ate the waffles fine, however his allergy is not severe enough to worry over trace amounts, so I can not say how you would fare.

Oh I hate that they group them together. Peanut is a legume, not a nut, and plenty of people are allergic to one and not the other! My son is allergic to tree nuts, and not peanuts. He ate the waffles fine, however his allergy is not severe enough to worry over trace amounts, so I can not say how you would fare.
I don't have a severe allergy to where I need an epi pen, but they do make me pretty sick.

I don't believe there are any nuts in the waffles but I'm pretty sure the mix is purchased from a facility where they could be contaminated with either one.

If you don't get a chance to call ahead of time ask to speak with the chef at each restaurant. They can help you find something on the menu, and if not, they will make something special for you. They did that for my fiancee at Rose and Crown in Epcot. The chef even came back out after got our food to make sure everything came out ok.

I'm allergic to peanuts and tree nuts and ice never had any problems with the waffles

I was looking over the allergy menus. I see they have peanut and tree nut allergies together, and noticed that I shouldn't eat the waffles. Do any of you know which nut they use in these? I'm only allgeric to Almonds and really want some waffles!
has been awhile since I was there with grandson who allgeric peanuts but he was warned on all bread served because of nuts where made. guessing same for pancake/waffle flour

We eat waffles at Disney. Been told they are safe by the chefs. Only issue is when they are made in a bakery where there could be cross contamination. For example waffles at Ohana are safe. Waffles at Cape may are not as they are made in the hotel bakery.

Not sure if it's all waffles or just the Mickey waffles, but the disneyfoodblog says that Mickey waffles are made with the Golden Malted Waffle mix. https://shop.goldenmalted.com/?utm_source=dfb&utm_medium=article&utm_campaign=dfbblog

From their FAQs:

Q: I have a severe allergy to nuts. Does your product contain any nut products?

A: Our mixes do not contain nuts. However, some of our mixes are produced at blending facilities that produce other products containing nuts. Before purchasing our products please review all ingredient and allergen information.

Which restaurant's allergy menu are you looking at? My son ate Mickey waffles every day during our January stay at POR without incident. His allergies are severe, so we don't take chances on any level of warnings. We were told they were safe for peanut/tree nut allergies. Are you reading the menus correctly? The allergy menus list which allergies the items are o.k. for rather than what they contain. Many servers stress this, because it can be a bit confusing. On food labels, ingredients and warnings are listed to help people avoid the foods. The allergy menus are the opposite.

The allergy menus are a general guideline to make ordering more efficient for allergic diners. They lump the peanuts and tree nuts together, because of cross-contamination issues and the way manufacturers label. Some list specific nuts, but many just give a vague "processed in facility with tree nuts" or "may contain tree nuts" warnings, so there's no real way to know which nuts. Drives me batty, since some use the warning for coconut. It's best to check with the restaurant when you dine. They may have more specific information about almonds.

Which restaurant's allergy menu are you looking at? My son ate Mickey waffles every day during our January stay at POR without incident. His allergies are severe, so we don't take chances on any level of warnings. We were told they were safe for peanut/tree nut allergies. Are you reading the menus correctly? The allergy menus list which allergies the items are o.k. for rather than what they contain. Many servers stress this, because it can be a bit confusing. On food labels, ingredients and warnings are listed to help people avoid the foods. The allergy menus are the opposite.

The allergy menus are a general guideline to make ordering more efficient for allergic diners. They lump the peanuts and tree nuts together, because of cross-contamination issues and the way manufacturers label. Some list specific nuts, but many just give a vague "processed in facility with tree nuts" or "may contain tree nuts" warnings, so there's no real way to know which nuts. Drives me batty, since some use the warning for coconut. It's best to check with the restaurant when you dine. They may have more specific information about almonds.
I was looking at the menu under Backlot Express. Under the peanut/treenut list waffles wasn't listed, but burgers and such was.

My daughter has peanut, tree nut, and egg allergies. She has eaten Mickey waffles, but they have special allergy friendly ones that are also gluten free. She has had these at Tusker House and AoA food court. Not sure if they are available at back lot express, but you could ask. She loves them!

I would ask when you get there. I have a allergy to ginger which is really rare so it isn't considered an allergen on menus, allergy guides, etc. I don't have a life threatening reaction but I do break out head to toe in hives and sometimes end up in the ER needing IV benadryl and epinephrine if I don't take benadryl immediately but I don't need to carry an epi-pen (and I am usually able to stay away from ginger). When I was at Trader Sam's I assumed most items on the menu had ginger and when I asked about it they had the chef come in to talk to me and he pointed out everything on the menu that did NOT have ginger for me and he assured me that nothing I ordered would be prepared where it could come into contact with ginger. It was the first time I have ever had the experience of a chef at WDW coming to talk to me about my allergy since I typically just stay away from anything that could possible have ginger, and I have to say I was VERY impressed. It was nice to not have the typical "I don't THINK so" response I typically get outside of WDW when I ask if something contains ginger. When I told the chef that I "only" break out in hives, he was so nice and said that being covered in hives didn't sound like a very fun way to spend my time at WDW so he would make sure I didn't have a problem.

disneyvoice - I hear ya on the 'I don't think so' answer. It is so frustrating. People just really don't understand a lot of the time. Disney chefs are the best!

http://www.glutenfreedairyfreewdw.com/menus/

I don't know how up to date it is, but I figured it is a start.
That's great! Exactly what I was looking for. Of course the thing is I suppose the allergy menu's probably show what is 100% safe. But at home we have no peanut containing foods in our house but I still eat things that say, "manufacturered in a factory containing peanuts" and I don't get sick... Those menu's are just sooooo bland.

My DD is allergic to peanuts and tree nuts and has eaten the Mickey waffles at CP, CM, and TH with no issues.

I was looking at the menu under Backlot Express. Under the peanut/treenut list waffles wasn't listed, but burgers and such was.
It looks like the menu listed for Backlot Express is an older menu before they added chicken and waffles. The waffles are listed as safe on several menus that I checked. Captain Cook's and Grand Floridian Cafe are two examples. My daughter has always eaten the waffles. No one has ever said they may not be safe when they know she has a peanut/tree nut allergy.

Last edited:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter