Allergic reaction to Clinique?!

Pembo

OH-IO
I'm not a make-up person. I've been using Clinique lotion and cleansing products for years with no problems. A couple months ago I decided to try their new mositurizing foundation and I loved it. But lately I've had some dryness and itching under my eyes. I stopped using the foundation and it got better. So today I tried it again and the itching was worse and I'm all puffy and red under my eyes. ugh

I chatted with a Clinique person online who told me to call and I did.

Just wondering if anyone here has ever had a reaction from Clinique before?! I guess it's a sign I shouldn't wear makeup. lol

I'm not a make-up person. I've been using Clinique lotion and cleansing products for years with no problems. A couple months ago I decided to try their new mositurizing foundation and I loved it. But lately I've had some dryness and itching under my eyes. I stopped using the foundation and it got better. So today I tried it again and the itching was worse and I'm all puffy and red under my eyes. ugh

I chatted with a Clinique person online who told me to call and I did.

Just wondering if anyone here has ever had a reaction from Clinique before?! I guess it's a sign I shouldn't wear makeup. lol

Sounds like you put it too close to your eye area. I work for Clinique too and usually when someone has a reaction around the eye area is because they put the product too close. Go to the counter and ask them for a sample of an eye cream so you can get the dryness under control and then if you need any kind of makeup under your eye, try a concealor (All about eyes concealor). You really shouldn't put anything around the eye unless it specifies for the eye. All of our eye products are opthomologist tested where the others aren't. So as a general rule of thumb don't use foundation or moisturizer around the eye unless it's specifically for the eye. good luck and let me know how you make out.

Today my face is swollen. The itching is gone but I look quite puffy. I think it was definitely something in the product that did this. I'm not buying the "don't put it under your eye" idea. That does not even make sense to me. (sorry goofinoff)

Warning: Clinique mositurizing make-up not good for me.

How exactly would you NOT put concealer or foundation under your eye?? That's one of the main spots women want to conceal!

If you were allergic to the product you would probably have had a reaction the very first time you used it. You may be reacting to something else and the irritated skin is just being aggravated more by the makeup.

Sorry...just trying to help. I guess I will not give my professional opinion. good luck.

How exactly would you NOT put concealer or foundation under your eye?? That's one of the main spots women want to conceal!.

I didn't say not to use the concealor around the eye, I said the foundation. Any cosmetic counter will tell you not to use anything around the eye area that does not specify FOR THE EYE. All of Cliniques eye products are tested by opthomologists. Of course you would use concealor around the eye...that's what it's for.

I am allergic to their skin care line. Severely allergic. When did I find out? Right after getting a makeup trial for my wedding.

I told the sales associate that I am extremely allergic to most skin care things and was dismissed. "Oh, our stuff is really gentle." My face was beet red for four days-to the point that DH couldn't even tell I had my makeup done!

Suzanne

Sounds awful! Hope you're feeling better quick!

I'm allergic to lots of skin products and makeup items. The terms "hypoallergenic" and "dermatologist tested" are fairly meaningless when it comes to allergies. And, it doesn't seem to matter whether the product is high-end or low-end.

What I've learned to do is try ONE new skin product or ONE new makeup item at a time, since (for me) allergies tend to develop over a period of a few weeks. That way I can figure out what has caused the allergic reaction. Sometimes, for me, it's not an entire skincare line--sometimes it's just one product.

Sounds awful! Hope you're feeling better quick!

I'm allergic to lots of skin products and makeup items. The terms "hypoallergenic" and "dermatologist tested" are fairly meaningless when it comes to allergies. And, it doesn't seem to matter whether the product is high-end or low-end.

What I've learned to do is try ONE new skin product or ONE new makeup item at a time, since (for me) allergies tend to develop over a period of a few weeks. That way I can figure out what has caused the allergic reaction. Sometimes, for me, it's not an entire skincare line--sometimes it's just one product.

This is true for me too.

This allergy definitely developed over time. My face is a little less swollen this evening.

Goofinoff, I didn't mean to offend you. I've never heard not to use foundation on *all* of your face. The experts on TV say to put foundation on your eyelids?!

It's back to my make-up less face. I guess after 39 years what was I thinking about trying to use makeup daily. :rotfl:

You can develop allergies (which is why the hair dye kit says to pre-test each time for allergic reactions).

I'm allergic to some Clinique moisturizers (body) and yet I'm able to wear their face moisturizers.

Hello, I'm new to this and found this through Google.

I am looking for help in finding some information on clinique makeup (clarifying foundation makeup for acne control) and an allergic reation on my face from it. The makeup cause ance cysts on my face for more than a month. I started using the makeup around Thanksgiving 2004. After two weeks I started developing ance cysts. I continued to use the makeup to cover-up the cysts, and thus causes a horrible cycle of using more make-up to cover up the cysts. Around Christmas, I stopped using the makeup one weekend b/c I didn't have to work and after two days the pain from the cysts decreased significantly. I then realized that the cysts were from the makeup use. I went to my dermotologist and he put me on accutane to get ride of the cysts that were sticking around. I began that treatment for 4 or 5 months and am now left with scarring from where the cysts use to be.

I'm looking to see if anyone else has had this reaction from clinique makeup?

Thank you,
looking4answers :idea:

Hello, I'm new to this and found this through Google.

I am looking for help in finding some information on clinique makeup (clarifying foundation makeup for acne control) and an allergic reation on my face from it. The makeup cause ance cysts on my face for more than a month. I started using the makeup around Thanksgiving 2004. After two weeks I started developing ance cysts. I continued to use the makeup to cover-up the cysts, and thus causes a horrible cycle of using more make-up to cover up the cysts. Around Christmas, I stopped using the makeup one weekend b/c I didn't have to work and after two days the pain from the cysts decreased significantly. I then realized that the cysts were from the makeup use. I went to my dermotologist and he put me on accutane to get ride of the cysts that were sticking around. I began that treatment for 4 or 5 months and am now left with scarring from where the cysts use to be.

I'm looking to see if anyone else has had this reaction from clinique makeup?

Thank you,
looking4answers :idea:

No, but I did have this happen to me with Cover Girl makeup in high school. I thought I was just having acne problems. When I finally stopped using Cover Girl, most of my acne went away--I was back to just my usual monthly flareups.

As I mentioned in an earlier post, a lot of allergies take time to develop--days, weeks, or months. So, often we don't realize we're having an allergic reaction OR we can't figure out which products are causing the reaction.

Weepy eyes were my first indication that I was becoming allergic to make-up. Then came red blotchies. Then dry, scaly skin and red blotchies...then the tell-tale swelling.

Switched from Estee Lauder to Clinique and that worked...for a while. Switched to a bunch of different ones...gave up.

I hope it doesn't happen to you. It totally sucks. Way sucks. A lot. Sucks. But on the upside, you don't have to apply make-up daily or run to the mall for something you're almost out of. Small consolations, I know.

Good luck!

I have never had any alleries or allergic reactions to ANYthing, but the one time I used a Clinique toner back in high school, it made me break out into the worst acne I'd ever had. Actually the only acne outbreak I'd ever had. I would stay away from their stuff if it's causing you problems. I don't for one second believe that their stuff is more gentle than anything else.

Update: Clinique sent me a postage paid sticker so I can send the product back for either another product or a full refund.

My advice to anyone who has a problem...do a chat online with the company or just call them. They were very helpful and apologetic.

Thanks for your advice and stories!

I stopped using clinique makeup and will never use it again b/c of fears this will start up again. I'm left with scars and now looking to have lazer surgery (expensive) for the damage I am left with. I'm always weary when I try new makeup for sign of an allergic reaction... look for signs of irritation and stop using the makeup. Return the used makeup and get your money back if you can, and never use the product again.... it's better than using for a month to cover up what seems like an unusual breakout and ruining your face forever. And also the huge cost of lazer. It will be all good soon.

I had the same problem with clinique eye cream so I just gave up. I was also using their line of foundation make-up for about 8yrs. I notice after a while of using Clinique foundation make-up I was breaking out bad. I figured It was just the birth control I was using. After I got off birth control my acne breakouts were still the same. I even wen't to the Dermatologist, they gave me a bunch of acne medications but got tired of using them. Finally when I was out of work for a couple of months, I stopped wearing the Clinique foundation & my skin has cleared up completely. I still use Clinique make-up except the liquid foundations. And now I have been searching for the right foundation for my sensitive skin.

Yep..... It has also left my skin looking bad. Now I have a bunch of scars. I use to have porcelain skin.

I've never had a problem w/ clinique, but get me anywhere near Mary Kay, and I get itchy and blotchy just looking at it.

Of course this has gotten me plenty of pissed off friends over the years, who feel that I am just trying to avoid the parties. One friend was so pissy, that I broke down and bought a lip liner. If it had been for the hives on my upper lip, I had perfect Angelina Jolie lips.:rotfl:

I'm glad Clinique was helpful, and responded to your issues. Says a lot for the company.:thumbsup2 IMO.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter