All new Dining on a Budget of $100 May 2012

A fun read, made me hungry and I'm on a diet so thanks lol :thumbsup2! Your daughter is just totally adorable!!

Thanks for your report it was very helpful. I am planning a trip for Oct 2013 and am not sure whether to stay on or offsite cause the savings on food outside seem huge. Do you think a car would pay for itself to allow me to stay onsite and eat offsite? Hope you don't mind me asking you. :)

GReat report of off site dining. We are doing 4 nights offsite this time between disney stays and we are staying opposite the village in at the doubletree hilton by seaworld. Can I ask is it a buffet breakfast there or plated? Its been 2005 since I stayed off site. We wont have a car but like the sound of some of the resturants u used.
Thankyou for this report.

More please, I am not known for sticking to a budget:rolleyes1 so your TR is most interesting and educational. :)

Don't worry we still spend plenty of money :). Next trip in October is on ddp. Not sure what we will do for 2013 yet.

Thank you!! We're getting ready to do a trip just like this next month and I loved reading all the detail. Thanks for your hard work putting this together!

Glad it helped thanks for reading.

That was really informative....thank you!

Thanks for reading - glad it helped :goodvibes

A fun read, made me hungry and I'm on a diet so thanks lol :thumbsup2! Your daughter is just totally adorable!!

Thanks for nice comments about DD. Not the most diet friendly read (I need to go back to slimming world!)

Thanks for your report it was very helpful. I am planning a trip for Oct 2013 and am not sure whether to stay on or offsite cause the savings on food outside seem huge. Do you think a car would pay for itself to allow me to stay onsite and eat offsite? Hope you don't mind me asking you. :)

If you are staying onsite then you should be able to get the free dining deal for October 2013. Whilst your accomodation will be dearer than offsite when you factor in all your food is included (except tips), parking, no need for a car unless you need one it works out similar price to offsite.

If you are onsite i'd definitely get the free dining.

We enjoy both. We did onsite with dining plan Oct 2010 (my dining review from that is on the dis - link in my signature) and offsite Oct 2011 and are back onsite this October with dining plan. If you have kids the fact you can do as many character meals as you like on dining plan is a big perk.

GReat report of off site dining. We are doing 4 nights offsite this time between disney stays and we are staying opposite the village in at the doubletree hilton by seaworld. Can I ask is it a buffet breakfast there or plated? Its been 2005 since I stayed off site. We wont have a car but like the sound of some of the resturants u used.
Thankyou for this report.

Village inn you order off a menu. If you have a look on the website the menu is there. We've eaten there several times over the last few years and always had a decent meal. It's a diner - nothing fancy but very child friendly.

Wow, great food report. So interesting and informative. The food looked very good. We found when we went that there isn't much on offer in the way of fruit and veg..... so did the same as you.....took a cool bag with water, fruit and some healthy snacks. We found that sweet tomatoes was great as its basically a salad bar with homemade soups, pasta's, pizza's and make your own sundae's etc. Yummy stuff....and you are going back again soon.....have a great time....Cath :thumbsup2

Thanks for posting this. DW and I are now looking to monitor our food budget and posting the daily costs on our trip in November. We'll be eating in the keys the 1st week so we'll not be able to keep the costs down as much as we will when we reach Orlando. You have also given us a few new places to try.:thumbsup2

Wow, great food report. So interesting and informative. The food looked very good. We found when we went that there isn't much on offer in the way of fruit and veg..... so did the same as you.....took a cool bag with water, fruit and some healthy snacks. We found that sweet tomatoes was great as its basically a salad bar with homemade soups, pasta's, pizza's and make your own sundae's etc. Yummy stuff....and you are going back again soon.....have a great time....Cath :thumbsup2

Thanks for reading :)

Thanks for posting this. DW and I are now looking to monitor our food budget and posting the daily costs on our trip in November. We'll be eating in the keys the 1st week so we'll not be able to keep the costs down as much as we will when we reach Orlando. You have also given us a few new places to try.:thumbsup2

Glad it has given you a few ideas. I also did a similar budget review from our October trip if you've not seen that - link in my signature.

Been a while since we were in the keys but i'd recommend Harriets for breakfast at Key largo and Mrs Mac's for lunch or dinner - also Key Largo.

Can also remember having breakfast at Camilles in old key west.

I've absolutely LOVED your TR and as soon as I have time I'll be reading the other ones that you've linked in your siggie! My DH can't believe you and your family ate so well on such a good budget!! Well done - and thanks a MILLION for the tips :goodvibes

I've absolutely LOVED your TR and as soon as I have time I'll be reading the other ones that you've linked in your siggie! My DH can't believe you and your family ate so well on such a good budget!! Well done - and thanks a MILLION for the tips :goodvibes

Glad you enjoyed.

Hope you enjoy the October one aswell - that was a 14 night holiday - we did a couple of character meals but mostly offsite eating.

dixonsontour said:
Glad you enjoyed.

Hope you enjoy the October one aswell - that was a 14 night holiday - we did a couple of character meals but mostly offsite eating.

I read it earlier today - thanks :) Really enjoyed it! I just have one question though - you know when you say you froze cheese and ham wraps and brought them in the cool bag to the parks along with other snacks and frozen bottles of water? Well how did you keep the wraps from getting sodden with the water? Might seem like a really silly question but DH asked how I planned on doing that and I didn't have an answer for him :rotfl:
Main stops on next trip will include our usual Perkins for breakfast, must try that Bob Evans place you mentioned too! Also must do Ohana for dinner! It will be DH and I 2nd wedding anniversary while we're there so want to save somewhere nice for that night ;) Have to try Friendlys too! Been in Orlando 6 times and haven't ate there once! Ooh and I showed DH a pic off one of your DDP TRs where you guys had a mint choc sundae from Ghiradelli and he was salivating at the thought of it so he has said we *must* do there lol! :)

I've loved looking through all this. The surprise (to me) star of the show is breakfast at Cracker Barrel.

What an adorable photo of your little princess outside Fultons. :goodvibes

Just read this again - we are trying for $120 per day but we won't be having children's meals as DD is now 13. I think we'll manage most days but not when we eat at the likes of O'Hanas!!

We have an ADR for Park Plaza at MK on Christmas Eve and am really looking forward to it. This year we are not doing a character meal as no one seemed bothered - apart from me that is :)

I read it earlier today - thanks :) Really enjoyed it! I just have one question though - you know when you say you froze cheese and ham wraps and brought them in the cool bag to the parks along with other snacks and frozen bottles of water? Well how did you keep the wraps from getting sodden with the water? Might seem like a really silly question but DH asked how I planned on doing that and I didn't have an answer for him :rotfl:
Main stops on next trip will include our usual Perkins for breakfast, must try that Bob Evans place you mentioned too! Also must do Ohana for dinner! It will be DH and I 2nd wedding anniversary while we're there so want to save somewhere nice for that night ;) Have to try Friendlys too! Been in Orlando 6 times and haven't ate there once! Ooh and I showed DH a pic off one of your DDP TRs where you guys had a mint choc sundae from Ghiradelli and he was salivating at the thought of it so he has said we *must* do there lol! :)

Glad you enjoyed reading.

For the wraps I made 3 wraps - ham, sliced cheese eg provolone bit of butter to stick together cut them in half and wrapped in cling film. I froze them. Makes a block like a freezer block. Then in the morning wrapped the block in kitchen roll and popped at the bootom of our small cool bag. Then put crisps, fruit on top and a bottle of water frozen. By lunch wraps were edible but still cool. Hope that makes sense.

The wraps in walmart are in the fridge near the packets of ham and cheese.

I've loved looking through all this. The surprise (to me) star of the show is breakfast at Cracker Barrel.

What an adorable photo of your little princess outside Fultons. :goodvibes

Thanks for reading. Cracker barrel was inspired by Julie - the week before we went she had a LIVE thread on the DIS and it was a case of I'm having THAT next week.

Just read this again - we are trying for $120 per day but we won't be having children's meals as DD is now 13. I think we'll manage most days but not when we eat at the likes of O'Hanas!!

We have an ADR for Park Plaza at MK on Christmas Eve and am really looking forward to it. This year we are not doing a character meal as no one seemed bothered - apart from me that is :)

We found it very much evened out over the trip - some days were budget busting but others cheaper. Plaza on Christmas Eve sounds lovely...we are thinking of trying xmas in 2013.

dixonsontour said:
Glad you enjoyed reading.

For the wraps I made 3 wraps - ham, sliced cheese eg provolone bit of butter to stick together cut them in half and wrapped in cling film. I froze them. Makes a block like a freezer block. Then in the morning wrapped the block in kitchen roll and popped at the bootom of our small cool bag. Then put crisps, fruit on top and a bottle of water frozen. By lunch wraps were edible but still cool. Hope that makes sense.

The wraps in walmart are in the fridge near the packets of ham and cheese.

Thanks so much:) Makes perfect sense! Love those budget busting tips ;) I've always been wary as to whether you can bring food into the parks or not so we've always erred on the side of caution! Now that I know better it'll save money for some nicer meals out!
The first year we ever did WDW we were there for Xmas, its a must do!! And we really must do it again once DS is old enough for Santa etc! Your DD (and yourself!;)) would love it!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!