• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

All DVC owners need to contact member services to complain about the NBA

Status
Not open for further replies.

icc2515

DIS Veteran
All DVC owners need to call DVC and complain that common areas that owners are paying for are being used by a private party. They should also email the media especially the competitors of ESPN and let them know how Disney is taking advantage of it's customers. I guarantee that dues are used to maintain the pools and some of the walkways that are behind the big blue fences. For those of you that do not know. Disney got a big score with the NBA to hold the rest of the season at WDW. They are putting up players at Coronado, the Grand Floridian, and the Yacht Club. At the GF they are installing a hideous chain link fence covered in blue tarp sectioning off everything but the DVC house and the main building. At the Y&B club they originally said that SAB would not open and many people thought that it was because it would be too expensive to open for just us DVCers. Well it looks like they are blue fencing off SAB for the NBA (hay that rhythms).

Disney has every right to monetize their hotels in any way they want, but they put DVC at the deluxe resorts for a reason. One reason was to have DVC pick up some of the tab for it's resorts. It really was a brilliant move, but now they want to keep the owners out of what they are paying for. Disney could have put the NBA at Port Orleans, the All Stars, Pop, or the Caribbean. There are no DVC there. If we let Disney take advantage of us now, they will just do it again and again in the future. A big company has a convention at the Y&B for a few days in the summer and now wants to have exclusive use of SAB, not problem we did it before just write the check and we will keep those freeloading DVC out of the pool. Think about how they tried to screw us with the new points allocation and had to walk that back. This is a dirty thing that they are doing to us. Don't think that they will not do it again, if we let them do it to us this time.

Remember that DVC is supposed to represent us, not Disney. They are supposed to have our best interest in mind. If they are not doing things with regards to WDW Parks and Resorts at an arms length then they could be in big trouble. If a third party company came to Disney and said that we want to screw over your guests and give you nothing in return is that OK? Disney would say no way what's in it for us. I don't think that DVC did this or was even informed about this.

As far as the rest of it, I just don’t agree. Plus, NBA is at the Disney hotels and not DVC villas.
So are you saying that DVC maint fees do not pay to maintain any of the pool that is being fenced off at the GF? And none of the walkways including the boat dock use any DVC dues for maintenance? If they don’t then I am mistaken and I am very sorry for posting this.

With SAB I saw that the blue fence just happens to block off the area by SAB. So maybe Iam wrong about that too.

So are you saying that DVC maint fees do not pay to maintain any of the pool that is being fenced off at the GF? And none of the walkways including the boat dock use any DVC dues for maintenance? If they don’t then I am mistaken and I am very sorry for posting this.

With SAB I saw that the blue fence just happens to block off the area by SAB. So maybe Iam wrong about that too.

It doesn't hurt to ask the question and see what they say.

Disney lost billions of dollars this year, I see it as a way of making some of it back during an unprecedented time. More important things going on like will they even open.

I'm more annoyed that people who paid for all stars are getting to stay at DVC for no extra money! They are using the rooms, facilities, etc and have no concern for them
Now this I don’t have an issue with. Disney is allowed to take rooms at 60 days as breakage. It’s within their right. Plus they can use their own points and points from dvc cruises, critics, etc to rent those rooms and transfer people into them. Now I am not saying that you don’t have a right to have an issue with it.

Technically the only people that can complain are the owners at BCV and GFV. They are the ones that pay the dues for those resorts
As owners we can just say that we are opposed to DVC allowing Disney to use dues supported area for private parties and not allowing owners to use those area. If in fact any of these areas are supported by dues.

Yes, there are shared costs, but DVC pays based on occupancy I believe and as long as it’s not in service, those fees will not be charged to members,

Right now, boats are off line anyway, so that cost is not being charged to anyone. If the courtyard pool is not available to DVC, then just like SAB, there will not be shared costs.

I am simply not bothered by a walkway that could be blocked, etc. or that the NBA is staying in WDW hotels.

However, I definitely think any owner who is concerned about the MFs and how these closures should be dealt with should contact them.

Disney lost billions of dollars this year, I see it as a way of making some of it back during an unprecedented time. More important things going on like will they even open.
Disney made a gross profit of 27.55 billion last. I’m not going to boo hoo over what they have lost so far this year. Oh and 6 billion gross profit In the first quarter of this year.

I think this is where DVC needs to step in and proactively talk about how fees are being accrued during these times.

I think it comes down to upkeep costs and where they land.

If the money from the NBA is covering 100% of upkeep then we are golden. If however DVC is paying or simply just not required to pay there is an issue.

As an example if SAB is going to be used only by the NBA there is going to be wear and tear albeit minor to the pool. This means the daily cost of upkeep and wear needs to fall to Disney until the pool is open or closed to all.

Who knows but will have to see how it plays out.

Yes, there are shared costs, but DVC pays based on occupancy I believe and as long as it’s not in service, those fees will not be charged to members,

Right now, boats are off line anyway, so that cost is not being charged to anyone. If the courtyard pool is not available to DVC, then just like SAB, there will not be shared costs.

I am simply not bothered by a walkway that could be blocked, etc. or that the NBA is staying in WDW hotels.

However, I definitely think any owner who is concerned about the MFs and how these closures should be dealt with should contact them.
I'm going to disagree a little bit. Staying at a resort is an immersive experience. If staying at a resort with roped off areas and blocked dining is fine in Disney's mind, then why did my SIL get a gift card every day she stayed at CBR two years ago because of construction, roped off areas, and less dining options? They were compensating her because the experience was not 100%. Everyone staying at GFV and BCV should be compensated for a lesser experience at their resort due to the NBA being there....just like they gave my SIL and all the other guests at CBR during that time.

I respect your opinion on this. Maybe I am feeling too emotional on this subject as I was quite excited to score a studio at the VGF for July 10th-14th. It is one place that I have never stayed an I was looking forward to it. My understanding is that the studios can be difficult at 7 months. Now I find out about this fence it just kind of ticked me off. I really do feel that if we let Disney get away with this then it will not be the last time we see it. But like you said they can just take a pool or amenity that we are paying for out of service and refund us our .000001 cent per point.

I'm going to disagree a little bit. Staying at a resort is an immersive experience. If staying at a resort with roped off areas and blocked dining is fine in Disney's mind, then why did my SIL get a gift card every day she stayed at CBR two years ago because of construction, roped off areas, and less dining options? They were compensating her because the experience was not 100%. Everyone staying at GFV and BCV should be compensated for a lesser experience at their resort due to the NBA being there....just like they gave my SIL and all the other guests at CBR during that time.

All I will say, like it or not, is cash guest vs. timeshare owner. Could Disney decide to do something for DVC owners? Sure,

But, remember if the Disney hotels are closed..GF, YC and BC, then anything like pools, boat docks, etc. that remain open for only DVC villas most likely get billed only to DVC.

That is why SAB would not open...even if the NBA wasn’t there, because then DVCM would have had to agree to pay. 100% of the costs vs, the approximately 19% that I have seen reported. Not even sure they would have the ability to have told Disney that.

Again, maybe I am weird, but all this stuff does not bother me and when WL was under construction they contacted DVC guests to try and move them.

How long is SAB supposed to be closed for?

There has been no official open date, but YC and BC open back up on August 24th, so everyone assumes then since that’s when the hotel side is opening.

I respect your opinion on this. Maybe I am feeling too emotional on this subject as I was quite excited to score a studio at the VGF for July 10th-14th. It is one place that I have never stayed an I was looking forward to it. My understanding is that the studios can be difficult at 7 months. Now I find out about this fence it just kind of ticked me off. I really do feel that if we let Disney get away with this then it will not be the last time we see it. But like you said they can just take a pool or amenity that we are paying for out of service and refund us our .000001 cent per point.

I hear you. I was supposed to be there next weekend and had to cancel yesterday.

I think you will still get a good amount of the feel..it is my favorite DVC!

All I will say, like it or not, is cash guest vs. timeshare owner. Could Disney decide to do something for DVC owners? Sure,

But, remember if the Disney hotels are closed..GF, YC and BC, then anything like pools, boat docks, etc. that remain open for only DVC villas most likely get billed only to DVC.

That is why SAB would not open...even if the NBA wasn’t there, because then DVCM would have had to agree to pay. 100% of the costs vs, the approximately 19% that I have seen reported. Not even sure they would have the ability to have told Disney that.

Again, maybe I am weird, but all this stuff does not bother me and when WL was under construction they contacted DVC guests to try and move them.
But the NBA is there and technically that means the hotel is open......not cool on Disney's part! Just like it is not cool on Disney's part to move people who paid nothing for a room (all stars) and give them 1 and 2 bedrooms. They should have one value and one moderate open and all those people can stay there. Read the boards for cash people. They are calling Disney back and saying they aren't happy with their original moves and getting to choose their dvc resort. WTH?!

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter