Alcatraz - Day or Evening Tour

donmil723

Stormalong Bay/Castaway Cay Beach Bum
We will be in SF June 11-13 for the weekend. It will be our first visit there. Should we do a tour of Alcatraz during the day or do one of their evening/night tours? Thanks!

Have not done the evening tour yet but have done the day tour twice- one with and once without kids. Day tour gives you a beautiful view of San Francisco. If you do the day tour book as early on the day as possible. Less crowded with more time to walk around the grounds

We did the evening tour, I thought it was great and uncrowded. Really neat to see the city as it lights up. because I heard that it often sold out, we gambled on the weather and purchased tickets in advance on-line.

I've only done the day, had a great time! Although the evening tour sounds like it would also be a great expeirence. Have fun, I loved Alcatraz..

We done the night tour two weeks ago, it was amazing, quite chilling. The stories of the prison and the inmates were really great.
Also gives you an amazing view of San Fran at night.
Was quite cool though so take a hoddie/sweater also good walking shoes needed.

We done the night tour two weeks ago, it was amazing, quite chilling. The stories of the prison and the inmates were really great.
Also gives you an amazing view of San Fran at night.
Was quite cool though so take a hoddie/sweater also good walking shoes needed.

I think your advice on clothing applies any day any time in SF . . .

I'm glad to hear from someone who has recently taken the night tour. I think we will be booking that one rather than a daytime tour. It just sounds more "chilling" in more ways than one. I'm so cold-natured that I will probably need more than just a sweatshirt. I'm thinking of dressing in layers....LOL.

Thanks!

Well we're booked to be on the 14th June @ 10.30, decided on the morning tour to get there before the crowds!

I've done both - we did the day tour in March and the evening tour a few years ago. The benefit to the evening tour is there are Rangers all over who give additional presentations, the place is eerie at night and the skyline of San Francisco is stunning.

The Day tour allowed us to actually see more of the architectural details of the buildings, enjoy viewing the wildlife that live on and around the island and get an amazing view of the entire SFO Bay area.

The last time I did the Alcatraz tour it was still a completely guided tour, and I was a teenager, and you couldn't stay on the island all day. I would love to go again but because we never know when we want to do it we can't get advance tickets and it usually sells out. I have a 19 year old daughter who has never been on the tour so that really tells you how long it's been since I've been.

Have a blast.

Hi everyone, are you able to tell me how the audio tours are done?

Do you get to take the recording home with you?

Is it ok for a 7 year old to use?

Thanks for your help, we're heading there in November after our DLR trip and we can't wait!!

Hi everyone, are you able to tell me how the audio tours are done?

Do you get to take the recording home with you?

Is it ok for a 7 year old to use?

Thanks for your help, we're heading there in November after our DLR trip and we can't wait!!

They have a selection of players in different languages, select the one you want. You can not take them home with you.

My daughter was 9 when she did the tour without any problems. If your 7 year old is handy with an MP3 player he shouldn't have any problems. He will walk around with his own player hitting play when he gets to each section. The sticks can also be paused and rewound/fast forwarded by each section.

There is an extensive gift shop, not sure is they sell a version of the tour to take home with you.

They have a selection of players in different languages, select the one you want. You can not take them home with you.

My daughter was 9 when she did the tour without any problems. If your 7 year old is handy with an MP3 player he shouldn't have any problems. He will walk around with his own player hitting play when he gets to each section. The sticks can also be paused and rewound/fast forwarded by each section.

There is an extensive gift shop, not sure is they sell a version of the tour to take home with you.

Thank you :)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Our Dreams Unlimited Travel Agents will assist you in booking the perfect Disney getaway, all at no extra cost to you. Get the most out of your vacation by letting us assist you with dining and park reservations, provide expert advice, answer any questions, and continuously search for discounts to ensure you get the best deal possible.

CLICK HERE

facebook twitter