Alaska Port Adventures are up!

There were excursions offered on Princess that took you the back way onto the Mendenhall Glacier, and let you walk on it. I haven't looked over all the DCL ones yet to see if that's offered. It's the only glacier you can get to without a boat or a helicopter (or float plane) that I'm aware of. But you cannot easily get there from the visitor center.

As for the White Pass & Yukon RR, if you're only going one way, I *HIGHLY* recommend you do it going up. I did it round-trip, and the views of the scenery are much more beautiful going up than going down. And sit on the left-hand side going up (the right going down). The left-hand side going up has the best views by far. The fortunate thing is, though, you don't have to stay in your seat, so if you don't get on the better side, you can just not stay in your seat.

Sayhello

There were excursions offered on Princess that took you the back way onto the Mendenhall Glacier, and let you walk on it. I haven't looked over all the DCL ones yet to see if that's offered. It's the only glacier you can get to without a boat or a helicopter (or float plane) that I'm aware of. But you cannot easily get there from the visitor center.

As for the White Pass & Yukon RR, if you're only going one way, I *HIGHLY* recommend you do it going up. I did it round-trip, and the views of the scenery are much more beautiful going up than going down. And sit on the left-hand side going up (the right going down). The left-hand side going up has the best views by far. The fortunate thing is, though, you don't have to stay in your seat, so if you don't get on the better side, you can just not stay in your seat.

Sayhello

Also, to the front and back of each train car is a small viewing platform that you can go out onto to take pictures.

I think the scenery is going to be the exact same whether going up or going down....since it's the same track. The better view you get depends on which side of the train you're sitting on. We were lucky and only had ten people in our car, so we could go back and forth easily.

Okay, yes, he walked the trail below the Visitor Center, to the falls.....my mistake. Since it's all ice over there, I was thinking that it was still part of the glacier.
He was to the side of the mouth of the glacier, on the ice, near the falls.

I corrected my original post.

Thanks for the clarification. I was hoping you were correct the first time, though. ;) I know of an "adventure" hike that can put us on the glacier, but it is an extremely strenuous all day trek, not really what I was looking for. Thanks for your info, though. We may end up doing the waterfall hike. ;)

I re-read your post and I actually think you have some great excursions planned. (but are you sure those three don't exceed 200 per person?). Mendenhall is cheap and would give you a chance to see a glacier up close. The Whitepass RR is suppose to be awesome! And we are also considering a misty fjords boat or something similar..... (a chance to see eagles). I think those three excusions would let you "see" enough to still go..... **As I mentioned earlier, I have not been yet- just "actively researched";)

Oh no, I meant $200/pp per excursion. It's just some run over $400 pp.

H Mary,
How are you? Which Alaska sailing are you planning on going on. We are sailing on August 23rd with Lori, Mindy and Kim. A little Med reunion.:cool1:
Happy New Year to you and Dan:)
Susan

Hi Susan, Your not going to believe this, but if we do Alaska it will be that week (the 23rd) it just always works for us time wise. This is so funny!:rotfl:

Also, to the front and back of each train car is a small viewing platform that you can go out onto to take pictures.

I think the scenery is going to be the exact same whether going up or going down....since it's the same track. The better view you get depends on which side of the train you're sitting on. We were lucky and only had ten people in our car, so we could go back and forth easily.
Not necessarily. The direction you cross the bridges, go through tunnels, etc, can make a big difference in how you view those.. Yes, if you're just looking straight out the windows to the side, it's pretty much the same.

Sayhello

Oh no, I meant $200/pp per excursion. It's just some run over $400 pp.

Oh, ok- gotcha! Well I think that budget should definately allow you to "see" Alaska! All of the excursions we are looking to do except Helicopter to dog sledding and flight seeing (we are not doing both- half of us are doing one/half the other) are easily under $200 per person! You know- one of the flight seeing excursions is only a little over 200 each, so that may be something to consider also.....

Thanks for the clarification. I was hoping you were correct the first time, though. ;) I know of an "adventure" hike that can put us on the glacier, but it is an extremely strenuous all day trek, not really what I was looking for. Thanks for your info, though. We may end up doing the waterfall hike. ;)

The waterfall hike was really easy... pretty, too :)

Most people who get ON Mendenhall Glacier get there by helicopter. DCL has several "trekking" excursions that I assume are with North Star Trekking: http://www.northstartrekking.com/content/ Above and Beyond Alaska does hikes to and on Mendenhall Glacier: http://www.beyondak.com/daytrips.html

On a land trip, you can walk up to the face of Exit Glacier in Seward, although there are signs warning you to stay back due to falling ice: http://im1.shutterfly.com/media/47b...Gzhs5ZsQe3nwo/cC/f=0/ps=50/r=0/rx=720/ry=480/ You can walk on that glacier if you're hiking on the Harding Icefield. You can also do a glacier hike on the Matanuska Glacier a few hours east of Anchorage. My DH and I hiked on Root Glacier in Kennicott: http://im1.shutterfly.com/media/47b...Gzhs5ZsQe3nwo/cC/f=0/ps=50/r=0/rx=550/ry=400/; http://im1.shutterfly.com/media/47b...Gzhs5ZsQe3nwo/cC/f=0/ps=50/r=0/rx=550/ry=400/

On a land trip, you can walk up to the face of Exit Glacier in Seward, although there are signs warning you to stay back due to falling ice. You can walk on that glacier if you're hiking on the Harding Icefield. You can also do a glacier hike on the Matanuska Glacier a few hours east of Anchorage. My DH and I hiked on Root Glacier in Kennicott.
That's very true. I was speaking of glaciers that folks taking the DCL cruise could get to. I guess I should have been more specific.

Sayhello

We cruised Alaska this past summer, the excursions are all the same among cruise lines, so if anyone has any specific questions, I'd be more than happy to try to answer.
We had multiple families onboard with us, and everyone tried something different.
I'll try to watch for questions, but if I don't answer within a day, please feel free to send me a PM. :thumbsup2

Did anyone do the horsebacking riding at all??? If so, can you tell me if they would do it again in a heartbeat?

Did anyone do the horsebacking riding at all??? If so, can you tell me if they would do it again in a heartbeat?

Does anyone know of an independent company to use for horseback riding? I have a 10 and a7 year old (both experienced riders) who would love to do it, but Disney has a minimum age of 12.

We booked independently in Aruba on our Panama Canal cruise in 2008 and it worked out great.

It's funny, I was just thinking about that. Out of all of us....and I think we had at least 30 people, no one did any horseback riding. :guilty: Looking back, I honestly don't remember seeing NCL offer it, but they must have.

It looks like Disney has a lot more "combination" excursions.

It's funny, I was just thinking about that. Out of all of us....and I think we had at least 30 people, no one did any horseback riding. :guilty: Looking back, I honestly don't remember seeing NCL offer it, but they must have.

It looks like Disney has a lot more "combination" excursions.
Honestly? I sailed Princess, and I don't remember *anyone* horsebackriding in Alaska, nor do I remember seeing any excursions available to do so. I'm thinking it's something new-ish.

Sayhello

Honestly? I sailed Princess, and I don't remember *anyone* horsebackriding in Alaska, nor do I remember seeing any excursions available to do so. I'm thinking it's something new-ish.

Sayhello

That's what I said...I don't remember seeing it listed on NCL's excursions.
They DO offer it now in Skagway (I didn't check the other ports) but as to whether they had it this past summer when we cruised, I couldn't say. They have changed their shore excursion pages, so it all looks different than when we were booking.

Well as keen as I was on taking the round trip train ride- it sounds like a lot of folks with experience suggest otherwise... Now, I don't know that we will do the car rental (as my kids would particurarly enjoy the train)- but I am revisiting the idea of the train up and the motorcoach with planned stops on the way back...... I have a few months before I can book, so I'll just keep researching and thinking.....(and over thinking;))

We took a private tour with Dyea Dave. We read such good reviews about him but ended up with one of his associates and, although we saw a lot of beautiful sites, it didn't live up to what we had read about Dave's tours.

If you are driving, this guide is great. http://www.murraysguide.com/

This is a good example of how the cities aren't very large. It also shows how the train tracks pull up right next to the docks in Skagway. As in most port cities, tourism is their number one source of revenue. http://skagway.com/citymap.html

BTW, if you are driving, take a turn up Dyea Road (at the top of the map) and go to the scenic viewpoint for a great view of the cruise ship and city below.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter