Alamo Prepaid Gas- Do the Math Before You Buy -Recent (May 2012) experience

I've used the prepaid option before and was not playing the idiot. I drive around a lot on vacation (usually do a day trip to Tampa for BG, stay offsite and always go to Universal for at least a day), so I know I'll be using more than a tanks worth of fuel. In the past I've been offered up to 15 cents less a gallon than than the prevailing rates and that was when gas was under $2 a gallon. Yes you are not going to cash in when gas is $3.50+ and they are only offering 7 cents a gallon less, but there are other considerations. I actually have brought the car in on fumes a couple of times, might have even come out ahead. I've always bought the car back with 2 gallons or less, and paying $7 for not having to worry about stopping and getting gas on a departure day when there are many other things to keep track of is well worth it to me. I'm also not entirely comfortable with filling up at Disney and then driving 20 miles to the airport even if I can get away with it; the next guy is getting a car this is less than full and you are violating a rental agreement you signed stating you will fill it up within 10 miles of the airport. As I said before I don't want to take the extra time and inconvenience to get off the Bee Line or 417 and find a gas station close to the airport. I've also flown in and out of Tampa and am not nearly as familiar with that area as I am with Orlanda and MCO.

Not an idiot. We didn't have gasbuddy when gas was under $2.00 /gallon. Before there was an easy way to check rental agencies would list the average local gas price of premium or would price the average of higher priced stations near the airport. I question if there was ever an honest difference of .15/ gallon. Even with your numbers a person would have to return the car with about a gallon of gas to break even.

Intentionally driving an unfamiliar car with under a gallon of gas. I'd feel like an idiot if I ran out of gas on the way to the airport.

You're not violating the rental agreement if you fill up more then 10 miles from the airport. The rental agency is entitled to top off your tank and charge the penalty rate. Less then what many renters waste with the pre-paid gas plan.

Customers who purchase the gas plan pay for a full tank of gas, based on the stated capacity of the gas tank. Does anyone think the agency carefully tops off the tank. I wouldn't be surprised if the average car goes out short at least 1/2 a gallon. That means you're guaranteed to lose money, even if your car runs out of gas as you're returning it.

I rented a car with the gauge showing 3/4 tank. I was told that's the way the gauge read with a full tank. Gasing up the car on my return resulting in a gauge which read F. I had to wait in line to get a credit. Had I not had enough time I would have been gouged.

I don't have an issue if you're willing to pay an extra $5-$20 for convenience. Some people let the hotel launder their clothing. Some use the min-bar. A couple of posters with an early evening flight pay for an extra hotel night so they have their room until 2p.

Only an idiot (someone who belies the claims of the rental clerk) thinks the plan will save money.

I'm not referring to the PP who is willing to pay money for convenience. I'm not talking about the PP who works for Alamo. I'm sure he (or she) tells the truth.

You are paying for convenience. The price they charge for gas is reasonable these days - I do believe they used to charge more but it seems to be a more competitive rate now. You are not necessarily going to save money but if you use the majority of the tank it may be worth the price for the convenience. In the OP's scenario they were going to charge $3.67/gallon. A 2012 Altima (typical full sized car Alamo has available) has a capcity of 20 gallons. Let's say you return it with 2 gallons in the tank. You would be charged 20 x $3.67 which is $73.40 and would have used 18 gallons
($66.06). So you are paying roughly $8 for the convenience of not having to stop and fill up on your way to the airport and have to worry about which stations gouge or not. I just got back this Saturday and almost filled up at $4.79 on our way to the airport - 18 x $4.79 is $86.22. There is the convenience factor, POTENTIAL for savings and sometimes even both. Some people are willing to pay for this - some are not. To each their own!!

Okay, I'll switch it to "not very bright" then. Or they have money to burn.

Or...they are on vacation and wish to have a nice easy convienant time. They probably figure it is their money and it is nobody's business how they spend it. :)

Not an idiot. We didn't have gasbuddy when gas was under $2.00 /gallon. Before there was an easy way to check rental agencies would list the average local gas price of premium or would price the average of higher priced stations near the airport. I question if there was ever an honest difference of .15/ gallon. Even with your numbers a person would have to return the car with about a gallon of gas to break even.

Intentionally driving an unfamiliar car with under a gallon of gas. I'd feel like an idiot if I ran out of gas on the way to the airport.

You're not violating the rental agreement if you fill up more then 10 miles from the airport. The rental agency is entitled to top off your tank and charge the penalty rate. Less then what many renters waste with the pre-paid gas plan.

Customers who purchase the gas plan pay for a full tank of gas, based on the stated capacity of the gas tank. Does anyone think the agency carefully tops off the tank. I wouldn't be surprised if the average car goes out short at least 1/2 a gallon. That means you're guaranteed to lose money, even if your car runs out of gas as you're returning it.

I rented a car with the gauge showing 3/4 tank. I was told that's the way the gauge read with a full tank. Gasing up the car on my return resulting in a gauge which read F. I had to wait in line to get a credit. Had I not had enough time I would have been gouged.

I don't have an issue if you're willing to pay an extra $5-$20 for convenience. Some people let the hotel launder their clothing. Some use the min-bar. A couple of posters with an early evening flight pay for an extra hotel night so they have their room until 2p.

Only an idiot (someone who belies the claims of the rental clerk) thinks the plan will save money.

I'm not referring to the PP who is willing to pay money for convenience. I'm not talking about the PP who works for Alamo. I'm sure he (or she) tells the truth.

Lewis, we don't quote local prices, we do warn about the two gougers on rt. 436 near the airport. I did it even when they did not want the gas option. To me, that was good customer service.
We try to keep the gas prices in alignment with the local ones, sometimes we hit, sometimes lower and sometimes higher. I would even bring up gas buddy to give a customer an idea of where the prices were.
In the situation of a 3/4 tank: That has happened, sometimes when the car is being readied for the next renter, that step is skipped (that really makes me mad, btw and if I spot them before they are rented, they are sent back). The exit agent is supposed to check the level of fuel at the exit and we can adjust the fuel out. That way, if you are exiting with 3/4 of a tank, we can fix it so you return with 3/4 of a tank. We don't want to gouge our customers, honest. Oh, btw, I am a "she". :)

The gauge read 3/4. I asked and was told with that car the gauge reads 3/4 when the tank is full. I made them make note on the contract. The gauge read F after I filled the tank. I had to waste time getting the contract noted and again when I returned the car.

I sort of understand a person willing to pay a $10 premium for convenience. Don't even think you'll be saving money. The numbers suggest having to bring the car back with under a gallon. The previous renter sort of filled up at the Hess station and Alamo didn't top off the tank. The car is on a hill when it's filled. Alamo charges you based on the listed capacity of the tank, not on how much fuel is really in the tank. I doubt you'll even break even if you run out gas as you pull into the return lane.

Low fuel light comes on with about 3 gallons of gas. How long do you want to drive a car with the low fuel light illuminated. What happens if you get caught in traffic. Make an extra stop or shopping trip your last night. Make a wrong turn. Is it more convenient if you pull into a gas station once, maybe twice, and guess if $5 worth of gas will be enough gas to get you to MCO. Maybe $2. Does the car have a miles to E display. Do you trust it. You pass a sign which says 20 miles to MCO and the display says 18 miles to empty. Do you feel lucky?

The gauge read 3/4. I asked and was told with that car the gauge reads 3/4 when the tank is full. I made them make note on the contract. The gauge read F after I filled the tank. I had to waste time getting the contract noted and again when I returned the car.

I sort of understand a person willing to pay a $10 premium for convenience. Don't even think you'll be saving money. The numbers suggest having to bring the car back with under a gallon. The previous renter sort of filled up at the Hess station and Alamo didn't top off the tank. The car is on a hill when it's filled. Alamo charges you based on the listed capacity of the tank, not on how much fuel is really in the tank. I doubt you'll even break even if you run out gas as you pull into the return lane.

Low fuel light comes on with about 3 gallons of gas. How long do you want to drive a car with the low fuel light illuminated. What happens if you get caught in traffic. Make an extra stop or shopping trip your last night. Make a wrong turn. Is it more convenient if you pull into a gas station once, maybe twice, and guess if $5 worth of gas will be enough gas to get you to MCO. Maybe $2. Does the car have a miles to E display. Do you trust it. You pass a sign which says 20 miles to MCO and the display says 18 miles to empty. Do you feel lucky?

Lewis, I was not disputing what you said I was just telling you what should have been done. We have the ability to adjust for a tank not being full. We measure the tanks in 8ths. I do NOT like lazy exit agents, that is NOT good customer service and that agent who told you that, should have been reported, it would have taken 10 seconds to adjust that fuel. :(

I guess I fall into that category because I spent $36.00 on a case of water on DCL last month because it was easier and more convenient that schlepping a $6.00 case with me.

People are on vacation and if they want convenience, why is it your place to call them lazy or not too bright? I suppose you never ever spend more money than "normal" when on vacation?

You forgot the last category option, "money to burn."

And I DO schlep my case of water with me to the port, if you're curious.

Lewis, I was not disputing what you said I was just telling you what should have been done. We have the ability to adjust for a tank not being full. We measure the tanks in 8ths. I do NOT like lazy exit agents, that is NOT good customer service and that agent who told you that, should have been reported, it would have taken 10 seconds to adjust that fuel. :(

It was Thrifty in Vegas. It was a scame. Not only did the employee I asked before I left insist the car is full when the gauge read 3/4 but when I returned the car and complained the employee inside also said that car type normally shows 3/4 when full.

When they measure the tank in eighths of a tankful, you should see that they round down when marking a fuel level between eighths at the start of the rental because they will almost certainly round down when marking the fuel level at return time.

If they say that the car is full when the gauge reads 3/4 then the fuel level should be marked as what the gauge says, namely 3/4.

I do remember a time when Alamo required prepurchase of gas, i.e. that was the only way they did things. Back then it was advertised as "approximately a half tankful". This was long before the merger with National.

I do remember a time when Alamo required prepurchase of gas, i.e. that was the only way they did things. Back then it was advertised as "approximately a half tankful". This was long before the merger with National.

I don't remember that policy. Was probably a non-issue back when gas was under .50 /gallon (early 70's)

It was Thrifty in Vegas. It was a scame. Not only did the employee I asked before I left insist the car is full when the gauge read 3/4 but when I returned the car and complained the employee inside also said that car type normally shows 3/4 when full.

Regardless of which agency it was, it was still very poor customer service and obviously a scam.

When they measure the tank in eighths of a tankful, you should see that they round down when marking a fuel level between eighths at the start of the rental because they will almost certainly round down when marking the fuel level at return time.

If they say that the car is full when the gauge reads 3/4 then the fuel level should be marked as what the gauge says, namely 3/4.

Yes, that is exactly what we are supposed to do. We are not perfect and things do fall through the cracks, but, if brought to the attention of customer service, we will do everything possible to correct the error. We cannot fix what we don't know, so, it is important to speak up.
BTW: I LOVE your "tag line", made me chuckle, thank you!!!

My husband just returned Sunday from an 8 day trip. He had a Dodge Caravan which we paid 159.76 for the 8 days. he was also asked if he wanted to prepay for gas. It was 3.61 a gallon. He declined and filled it himself for 60.00 when he was returning it after driving over 400 miles. Gas at the Hess station was 3.46 a gallon in DD. I agree with the poster fill it yourself.

You would have been charged what it cost to fill the tank for the specific model of car. It would be impossible for the agent to give you an exact price, because at that point, he/she did not know what you were renting. It would have been a "ball park" amount which would have corrected itself when your car was assigned to your reservation (that is what that scanning thing does when you exit the garage). The agent was correct in telling you that the gas stations near the airport do charge more than 5.00 per gallon, what the agent did fail to mention is about 2 miles down the road are "normal" priced stations.
When I used to rent on vacation, we always prepurchased the fuel and went through the entire tank and practically limped into the return area, which is the only way this becomes cost effective.

Gmeh - My experience was that the desk agent gave us an exact amount and requested that we sign a new Alamo contract for $176 dollars. If the price was to be adjusted, when would I have signed a new contract with the lower amount? Do the exit booth folks create a new contract or would the one with my signature for the full amount be on file?

Gmeh - My experience was that the desk agent gave us an exact amount and requested that we sign a new Alamo contract for $176 dollars. If the price was to be adjusted, when would I have signed a new contract with the lower amount? Do the exit booth folks create a new contract or would the one with my signature for the full amount be on file?

It is impossible for the desk agent to give you an exact amount since you do not have a car attached to your contract. The car attachment comes when you are at the exit booth. No, the agent does not give you a new contract unless you ask for it. The only time an agent might give you a new contract is when you add a driver or opt for the fuel option or a gps. You should ALWAYS insist on a new contract in the event of an additional driver or GPS rental. Often to save time and get the renter on their way, the agent will just write the amount of the gas price on the present contract and stamp it with the "no refund for fuel not used" stamp(not sure that belongs in quotes as I don't really remember the exact wording, but, it is in red".
Just a FYI, if you rent, for example, a midsize car and have opted for the fuel option and find that you are upgraded to a full size(this happens when the car class you reserved is not available), the fuel price will be different. The reason for this is usually (not always) the midsize car will not have the same fuel capacity. Often full size cars will have different fuel capacities. IE: Impalas-= 17 gals. Altimas = 20 gallons.

Just another point to add is that prepaid gas is also subject to taxes and fees. So at MCO you are adding just under another 20% to the total price of the gas.

My husband just returned Sunday from an 8 day trip. He had a Dodge Caravan which we paid 159.76 for the 8 days. he was also asked if he wanted to prepay for gas. It was 3.61 a gallon. He declined and filled it himself for 60.00 when he was returning it after driving over 400 miles. Gas at the Hess station was 3.46 a gallon in DD. I agree with the poster fill it yourself.

:offtopic: Where did he score that wonderful rate at:confused3. I just reserved 4 mini vans for $245.00 each for 8 days:scratchin

And I would never prepay unless it were an emergency and I had to leave asap:drive:

Just another point to add is that prepaid gas is also subject to taxes and fees. So at MCO you are adding just under another 20% to the total price of the gas.

16.5% to be exact and that is disclosed. 10% airport tax and 6.5% sales tax, the other fees are unchanged.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter