AKV vs SSR

huggybuff

DIS Veteran
Hi folks, I have been researching DVC for awhile now and I have a question after reading multiple posters/sites that recommend buying SSR resale. Why aren't people also recommending AKV in the same breath? It seems like a comparable price per point and it has more time than SSR on the contract. I must be missing something obvious (MFs maybe?) for SSR to get all the love. Thanks for any responses! :)

If you are going the "buy and hope" route then buy the least expensive resort including dues as possible.

Personally I'm not going to spend hundreds of thousands of dollars over years and years of Disney vacations hoping to get the room/resort reservation that we want.

:earsboy: Bill

I agree with Bill. I've never understood how people can spend tens of thousands of dollars and not purchase where they intend to stay.

The reason people tout SSR over AKV is the dues. SSR annual dues are roughly 20 % lower than AKV.

They're are many threads Re: Costs of the various resorts. However, it can easily be argued that combining up-front and annual dues, SSR is the lowest price resort.

I know I'm trying to purchase ssr because i can't afford the 100 pp price of BLT and get the amount of points we want. I'm ok with staying at ssr or getting somehting else at 7 months since we aren't in the rooms much anyways. Thats my reasoning

I know I'm trying to purchase ssr because i can't afford the 100 pp price of BLT and get the amount of points we want. I'm ok with staying at ssr or getting somehting else at 7 months since we aren't in the rooms much anyways. Thats my reasoning

And that's great if you don't stay much in your room or at the resort. You can always sell or buy later.

Problem is after doing the parks for a few years, it's the same thing, different day and many get really tired of the crowds which increase each year.

That makes us slow down, sleep in, and enjoy the resort and family time more. Not rushing to get somewhere by a certain time or standing in line for an hour for a 5 min ride.

I also don't miss needing to take a vacation because we are exhausted from our Disney vacation. :goodvibes

Thanks skier_pete. I was wondering if there was something else about AKV that made people dismiss it other than MFs.

I have actually never been to WDW so I don't have experience with any of the resorts there. (I'm a west coast DL girl.) I actually wouldn't mind staying at any of the WDW resorts to be honest, so buying into SSR, which I think is beautiful from the pictures that I've seen, doesn't seem like a bad option to me.

I plan on staying at AKV three times in the next 10 years for nephews' birthdays, but it doesn't appear that getting a good room at 7 months should be an issue. I've ruled out pretty much everything but AKV or SSR based on either price or contract life, other than BLT...I just don't like the decor, sorry.

After that I would love to add another contract at VGC and/or Aulani!

Another reason why "buy where you want to stay/don't mind staying" is not always the best advice for everyone is the relative value of the 11-month booking advantage. I agree that DVC works best for people who can commit to their vacations 11 months (or more than 7 months) in advance. But it still works well for those of us who can't plan that far out. And if you can't plan more than 7 months in advance of your trip, then where you own doesn't really matter all that much (from the perspective of where you want to stay). So you might as well go for the best bang for your buck!

Personally, I love all the WDW DVC resorts. There's not one I'm not thrilled to stay at. Of course I have my favorites (and SSR is one of them), and I like "mixing it up"--staying at different resorts for different trips. And while I have run into lack of availability at some resorts for some trips, I've never not gotten a villa at all--and I go, on average 3-4 times/year (one year I got to go 6 times!)...I've owned since 2006.

So, "buy where you want to stay/don't mind staying" is a good mantra ONLY for people who can commit to their trips more than 7 months in advance...and I would guess a fair number of DVC'ers wind up (as I did) adding in "extra" trips (because the points are there; I have an AP and sometimes I even have enough frequent flyer miles to get me there "for free")...and those "extra" trips rarely finalize at 11 (or 10 or 9 or 8) months out.

So do take "buy where you want to stay" w/a least a grain or two of salt! Figure out what's important to YOU/your family; season w/the wisdom of experience you find here on the boards, and make the decision that fits your life the best...

Thanks skier_pete. I was wondering if there was something else about AKV that made people dismiss it other than MFs.

I have actually never been to WDW so I don't have experience with any of the resorts there. (I'm a west coast DL girl.) I actually wouldn't mind staying at any of the WDW resorts to be honest, so buying into SSR, which I think is beautiful from the pictures that I've seen, doesn't seem like a bad option to me.

I plan on staying at AKV three times in the next 10 years for nephews' birthdays, but it doesn't appear that getting a good room at 7 months should be an issue. I've ruled out pretty much everything but AKV or SSR based on either price or contract life, other than BLT...I just don't like the decor, sorry.

After that I would love to add another contract at VGC and/or Aulani!

You ought to go a few times before purchasing..

Another reason why "buy where you want to stay/don't mind staying" is not always the best advice for everyone is the relative value of the 11-month booking advantage. I agree that DVC works best for people who can commit to their vacations 11 months (or more than 7 months) in advance. But it still works well for those of us who can't plan that far out. And if you can't plan more than 7 months in advance of your trip, then where you own doesn't really matter all that much (from the perspective of where you want to stay). So you might as well go for the best bang for your buck!

Personally, I love all the WDW DVC resorts. There's not one I'm not thrilled to stay at. Of course I have my favorites (and SSR is one of them), and I like "mixing it up"--staying at different resorts for different trips. And while I have run into lack of availability at some resorts for some trips, I've never not gotten a villa at all--and I go, on average 3-4 times/year (one year I got to go 6 times!)...I've owned since 2006.

So, "buy where you want to stay/don't mind staying" is a good mantra ONLY for people who can commit to their trips more than 7 months in advance...and I would guess a fair number of DVC'ers wind up (as I did) adding in "extra" trips (because the points are there; I have an AP and sometimes I even have enough frequent flyer miles to get me there "for free")...and those "extra" trips rarely finalize at 11 (or 10 or 9 or 8) months out.

So do take "buy where you want to stay" w/a least a grain or two of salt! Figure out what's important to YOU/your family; season w/the wisdom of experience you find here on the boards, and make the decision that fits your life the best...

Until the new prospect spends some time staying at the different resorts and has the experience to know what's important, a new buyer runs the risk of making a few mistakes. Some of those mistakes could cost money, satisfaction with the product and or cause them to sell and buy a different resort. There is a reason that there are so many resales and not knowing or understanding their first purchase may be one of them.

davedmaine, I am going this November for the first time! I'm staying at PO Riverside and doing the Wine and Dine half. I'm so excited that Food and Wine has been extended through the week that I'll be there. I also plan to visit SSR and make use of the spa, maybe tour the DVC models if possible.

All new buyer should buy where they want to stay . . . period. It's the only way to be satisfied with your purchase. i don't know what size unit you want, but literally the difference in maint fees on smaller contracts between SSR and AK can be less than $100 a year. Factor in the fact that an AKV owner can get value rooms that many SSR owners cant and the difference in maint fees may be less than $20. Add on the extra years that AKV has that SSR doesn't offer and it's a mimimal difference.

You have taken the time to narrow down your choices which is fantastic.

Personally, unless someone is allergic to animals or needs to be close to DTD, I think 9 out of 10 owners (especially those with kids) prefer AK to SSR.

I would not equate owning at SSR to mean the same as owning a AK. An SSR owner will have a very tough time scoring a Value room as those rooms are normally gone before 7 months and if you want to splurge, its going to very difficult to land a concierge room. Sure, you can get a STD or Savannah, but you don't get the same options as an owner.

Right now, I have a 2 bedroom value booked for 6 days and 1 bedroom Concierge booked for 6 days. I have the ultimate flexiblity and point saving options. If I owned at SSR, I'd be saying, "oh can't wait till the 7 month mark to score my standard room." Oh and for most people here, if you goal is to get a Standard room at AKV and you really want to save money, don't even buy DVC. Buy a non-DVC resort that trades during red/ platinum season for $1 on ebay, and trade via RCI into AKV, BWV or SSR. If you are really trying to save money, I would do that in a heartbeat. That's also how I scored my 1 bedroom AKV STD in May.

Hi folks, I have been researching DVC for awhile now and I have a question after reading multiple posters/sites that recommend buying SSR resale. Why aren't people also recommending AKV in the same breath? It seems like a comparable price per point and it has more time than SSR on the contract. I must be missing something obvious (MFs maybe?) for SSR to get all the love. Thanks for any responses! :)
There is a dramatic difference is dues and IMO far more risk for rising dues at AKV than SSR for 2 reasons. Building design and the animal costs. Who cares about 3 yrs more at the end of the contracts from now, the value is negligible currently.

Until the new prospect spends some time staying at the different resorts and has the experience to know what's important, a new buyer runs the risk of making a few mistakes. Some of those mistakes could cost money, satisfaction with the product and or cause them to sell and buy a different resort. There is a reason that there are so many resales and not knowing or understanding their first purchase may be one of them.

I would agree that most people who buy in don't have a good feel for their ultimate preferences and IMO, all the more reason to underbuy in both resort and number of points for a new member. Obviously there are many variables. This is one of the reasons I think people shouldn't rush into such a purchase. Spend some time, rent a couple of times, etc. The better decisions will almost always outpace the lost savings on a couple of trips.

All new buyer should buy where they want to stay . . . period. It's the only way to be satisfied with your purchase. i don't know what size unit you want, but literally the difference in maint fees on smaller contracts between SSR and AK can be less than $100 a year. Factor in the fact that an AKV owner can get value rooms that many SSR owners cant and the difference in maint fees may be less than $20. Add on the extra years that AKV has that SSR doesn't offer and it's a mimimal difference.

You have taken the time to narrow down your choices which is fantastic.

Personally, unless someone is allergic to animals or needs to be close to DTD, I think 9 out of 10 owners (especially those with kids) prefer AK to SSR.

I would not equate owning at SSR to mean the same as owning a AK. An SSR owner will have a very tough time scoring a Value room as those rooms are normally gone before 7 months and if you want to splurge, its going to very difficult to land a concierge room. Sure, you can get a STD or Savannah, but you don't get the same options as an owner.

Right now, I have a 2 bedroom value booked for 6 days and 1 bedroom Concierge booked for 6 days. I have the ultimate flexiblity and point saving options. If I owned at SSR, I'd be saying, "oh can't wait till the 7 month mark to score my standard room." Oh and for most people here, if you goal is to get a Standard room at AKV and you really want to save money, don't even buy DVC. Buy a non-DVC resort that trades during red/ platinum season for $1 on ebay, and trade via RCI into AKV, BWV or SSR. If you are really trying to save money, I would do that in a heartbeat. That's also how I scored my 1 bedroom AKV STD in May.
I think for some what you say is true but for most, they don't know enough about what they'll feel once they get into it to really make a perfect decision up front. Basically the don't know where they want to stay long term even if they think they do. Better to make a bad $10K decision than a bad $20K. I'd also suggest that while there are a few, there really are very few options one can't get much of the time with planning. Now it might be AKV standard instead of value or BWV preferred instead of BWV BW or standard view, etc. Or it might be a 1 BR instead of a studio in certain situations. To hit the ends of the spectrum, it's almost always FAR greater to buy SSR and use it elsewhere when one can than to spend 2.5 times as much at VGF and do the same thing. IMO AKV is an exception where you can always get in and likely will always be able to do so but I'd agree if you want certain high demand items one may want to own there but I'd also suggest that for many when you decide to pay for the higher demand options to guarantee potential access you move from DVC being a reasonable purchase to not being so reasonable. And you actually don't get a guarantee of availability unless you buy a fixed week though you'll have a better chance owning there than not.

In this vein, the idea that most who buy SSR or OKW will be stuck staying there most times is simply false. They will have options almost all of the time if not really close to 100% of the time if they are proactive at 7 months out, esp if you include the WL in the mix. We've seen several people post in the past few months from people that own SSR and have never stayed there.

I agree with Bill. I've never understood how people can spend tens of thousands of dollars and not purchase where they intend to stay.

Conversely I have never understood those who spend tens of thousands of dollars to stay in the same resort for sixty years. Purchasing contracts at five different resorts for example is simply not a viable option for most. Buy where you want to stay is not a one size fits all option. Believe it or not but some people may enjoy trying out as many resort options as possible thus purchasing at "where you want to stay" doesn't apply.

For those who are happy to stay at any dvc resort onsite, SSR offers the most value out of the dvc resorts. To address the op, akv and SSR do have similar price per points but look at the maintenance fees. If you intend to stay at akv regularly and would prefer the difficult (but not impossible) to book value rooms, then akv may be worth it for you. Consider all opinions but know that buying where you want to stay is not gospel... Everyone has different circumstances so make the decision that works best for you. For our family we enjoy trying out new resorts and are happy to stay at SSR if need be, because who cares? We are still together having fun and that is what matters most to us.

If there is a certain resort that you must simply be in to ensure a magical vacation, by all means purchase there. Or if you go to food & wine every year and stay at boardwalk, then buy there, etc, etc, etc. But only you knows what is best for you.

My only problem with the statement buy where you want to stay is:

How do you really know where you want to stay unless you stayed or toured the resort that you are thinking of buying?

To me on paper AKL looks like the place I would want to buy initially and if I never toured the resort I wouldn't realize I need a car/bus transportation for everything!

What we did eventually was rent at OKW first? We were happy and we bought a small contract there. Eventually we stayed at BWV, liked that much better and we bought there. Then we stayed at GFV liked that a little better then BWV but $$$$$ wise not that much better then BWV. So in my situation when I balanced everything BWV is my best choice.

But that statement buy where you want to stay sort of failed me of 2 accounts.

1- If I bought at AKV because on paper to me it looked the best, I wouldn't be happy because of the transportation.
2- If I bought GF at $150 a point, vs resale BWV ($55.00 resale 2010) I
would be happy but it wouldn't be my best choice and eventually I probably would sell it because there are cheaper options.

The OKW contract is what we use as a trade me. The last 3 off seasons which is the seasons we go we got BC, GF, BC in that order.

There is a dramatic difference is dues and IMO far more risk for rising dues at AKV than SSR for 2 reasons. Building design and the animal costs. Who cares about 3 yrs more at the end of the contracts from now, the value is negligible currently.

I would agree that most people who buy in don't have a good feel for their ultimate preferences and IMO, all the more reason to underbuy in both resort and number of points for a new member. Obviously there are many variables. This is one of the reasons I think people shouldn't rush into such a purchase. Spend some time, rent a couple of times, etc. The better decisions will almost always outpace the lost savings on a couple of trips.

I think for some what you say is true but for most, they don't know enough about what they'll feel once they get into it to really make a perfect decision up front. Basically the don't know where they want to stay long term even if they think they do. Better to make a bad $10K decision than a bad $20K. I'd also suggest that while there are a few, there really are very few options one can't get much of the time with planning. Now it might be AKV standard instead of value or BWV preferred instead of BWV BW or standard view, etc. Or it might be a 1 BR instead of a studio in certain situations. To hit the ends of the spectrum, it's almost always FAR greater to buy SSR and use it elsewhere when one can than to spend 2.5 times as much at VGF and do the same thing. IMO AKV is an exception where you can always get in and likely will always be able to do so but I'd agree if you want certain high demand items one may want to own there but I'd also suggest that for many when you decide to pay for the higher demand options to guarantee potential access you move from DVC being a reasonable purchase to not being so reasonable. And you actually don't get a guarantee of availability unless you buy a fixed week though you'll have a better chance owning there than not.

In this vein, the idea that most who buy SSR or OKW will be stuck staying there most times is simply false. They will have options almost all of the time if not really close to 100% of the time if they are proactive at 7 months out, esp if you include the WL in the mix. We've seen several people post in the past few months from people that own SSR and have never stayed there.

I agree on the renting/ reosrt visit part of things. It's a great way to get a feel for a resort. However, If the basis of the SSR argument is its the cheapest option to stay at DVC, that is simply not true. If someone's sole basis is to stay at DVC on the cheap, then Buying a DVC resort should not be in play. Buying a RCI resort to stay at DVC (specifically, OKW, AKV, BWV or SSI) can be the cheapest way to stay if a person can be somewhat flexible with their dates. I will give you my real world examples.

1- bought timeshare a on eBay $500 out of pocket
2- bought timeshare b on eBay for $250 out of pocket.
3- sent timeshares to rci after paying $1012 in Maint fee for these two timeshares. Both are not in Orlando and are have the highest ratings in RCI.
4- paid additional $318 to combine and do a dvc search.
5- I own at AKV so I had a 1 bedroom already reserved at AKV in May.
6- match came up in rci for my exact Friday to Friday stay in rci. It was SSr, so it threw it back.
7- 4 days later a kidani standard 1 bedroom came back. I accepted.
8- after this exchange I still have 30 percent of my points left. Last year when I did the same and stayed at BWV it was enough for me to take 2 other vacations at a Wyndam water park resort at gatlingburg, TN during spring break and book a 1 bedroom for my mother in law at Daytona in off season.
9- in essence I can swing 3 weeks of vacation out of my 2 week RCI exchange. Plus I can sell my Original 200 dvc point for at least $2,600. This money covers my yearly fees at AkV $1,260, and the fees on my other two timeshares. I just paid $209 per exchange fee to go on 3 weekly vacations.
10- the best part is one of my non dvc resorts has raised Maint fees one time in 5 years (quarterhouse new Orleans). The other raised it .5% last year.
11- both resorts I own trade into RCI and II. No fear in DVC moving to another exchange co.
12- I priced my DVC stay at AKV at $950 this year for a 1 bedroom during dream at $4.75 a point. so even if you don't want to sell your dvc points, by going thru RCI, it's the cheapest option to go to DVC .....BAR NONE.

So, if DVC is a 90 percent financial decision, I believe this scenario is the cheapest. If you don't mind where you stay then I ask most people here why would you continue to own at DVC unless you are selling points? Clearly there is a cheaper alternative.

For me, it's a combo of what is the cheapest and emotional. A timeshare IS partly an emotional purchase. It's no different from buying a luxury car because that's what you like instead of what costs the least. As a BLT, AKV and HHI owner, I like knowing that I have my Christmas vacation locked in 11 months in advance at places I like the most. If I need to wait later to book and save points, I'll look into an RCI exchange as my "savings" plan, not spend thousands of dollars on a place I don't want to stay like SSR (if this is how you feel). Again, if it's about saving money, I would encourage a non DVC exchange.

For the record, I am not a SSR hater, I will stay there one day too, as my wife loves the theming there. I don't mind it either.

My only problem with the statement buy where you want to stay is:

How do you really know where you want to stay unless you stayed or toured the resort that you are thinking of buying?

To me on paper AKL looks like the place I would want to buy initially and if I never toured the resort I wouldn't realize I need a car/bus transportation for everything!

What we did eventually was rent at OKW first? We were happy and we bought a small contract there. Eventually we stayed at BWV, liked that much better and we bought there. Then we stayed at GFV liked that a little better then BWV but $$$$$ wise not that much better then BWV. So in my situation when I balanced everything BWV is my best choice.

But that statement buy where you want to stay sort of failed me of 2 accounts.

1- If I bought at AKV because on paper to me it looked the best, I wouldn't be happy because of the transportation.
2- If I bought GF at $150 a point, vs resale BWV ($55.00 resale 2010) I
would be happy but it wouldn't be my best choice and eventually I probably would sell it because there are cheaper options.

The OKW contract is what we use as a trade me. The last 3 off seasons which is the seasons we go we got BC, GF, BC in that order.

Obviously I'm not suggesting buying into DVC without having stayed at the resorts. That's common sense. And yes, if you don't care where you stay or can't book far in advance, than the cheapest option is likely the way to go. But like Bill said, if you could book anywhere at 7 months, everyone would own at the cheaper resorts.

There's lots of arguments about "buy where you want to stay" versus not. What I prefer to say is the compromise of "Buy where you wouldn't mind staying."

The fact is for much of the year, there is quite a bit of availability right at 7-months out. With the exception of a very few dates (Marathons, Holidays) between January and September you can pretty much take your pick of most resorts in the major room cateogories (generally not the low-point rooms though). We are in the process of booking a late-August / early-September stay with our AKV points. The first part we booked 6 nights in a studio at BCV. We could've actually chosen ANY on property resort for those dates EXCEPT VGF.

Now if you MUST stay at a monorail resort, or you MUST stay at Beach Club during food and wine, then yes, you should buy where you want to stay. However, most people that are looking for a bargain aren't also going into it with that attitude.

Djohn06 talks about buying into RCI and getting resorts that way, I am sure it works, but you probably need a great deal of flexibility, and my guess is you would have a much harder time getting into resorts outside of OKW/SSR/AKV.

Every person has different criteria. I bought into AKV, even though I knew that I probably could've gotten in there most of the time with SSR points. However, I did it for two reasons (1) I'll never be dissapointed if I was "stuck" at AKV. I do really love the place. After a stay at SSR, I can't say that about SSR. (2) The option of the value rooms. If I ever want to upgrade to a 1-bedroom for a trip, or go with a another family in a 2-bedroom, then it would give me a low-point option to do that that SSR would never allow. So for me, AKV was the best choice. Sure, I'm paying about $120 a year more for it, but I see the value in it.

I agree on the renting/ reosrt visit part of things. It's a great way to get a feel for a resort. However, If the basis of the SSR argument is its the cheapest option to stay at DVC, that is simply not true. If someone's sole basis is to stay at DVC on the cheap, then Buying a DVC resort should not be in play. Buying a RCI resort to stay at DVC (specifically, OKW, AKV, BWV or SSI) can be the cheapest way to stay if a person can be somewhat flexible with their dates. I will give you my real world examples.

1- bought timeshare a on eBay $500 out of pocket
2- bought timeshare b on eBay for $250 out of pocket.
3- sent timeshares to rci after paying $1012 in Maint fee for these two timeshares. Both are not in Orlando and are have the highest ratings in RCI.
4- paid additional $318 to combine and do a dvc search.
5- I own at AKV so I had a 1 bedroom already reserved at AKV in May.
6- match came up in rci for my exact Friday to Friday stay in rci. It was SSr, so it threw it back.
7- 4 days later a kidani standard 1 bedroom came back. I accepted.
8- after this exchange I still have 30 percent of my points left. Last year when I did the same and stayed at BWV it was enough for me to take 2 other vacations at a Wyndam water park resort at gatlingburg, TN during spring break and book a 1 bedroom for my mother in law at Daytona in off season.
9- in essence I can swing 3 weeks of vacation out of my 2 week RCI exchange. Plus I can sell my Original 200 dvc point for at least $2,600. This money covers my yearly fees at AkV $1,260, and the fees on my other two timeshares. I just paid $209 per exchange fee to go on 3 weekly vacations.
10- the best part is one of my non dvc resorts has raised Maint fees one time in 5 years (quarterhouse new Orleans). The other raised it .5% last year.
11- both resorts I own trade into RCI and II. No fear in DVC moving to another exchange co.
12- I priced my DVC stay at AKV at $950 this year for a 1 bedroom during dream at $4.75 a point. so even if you don't want to sell your dvc points, by going thru RCI, it's the cheapest option to go to DVC .....BAR NONE.

So, if DVC is a 90 percent financial decision, I believe this scenario is the cheapest. If you don't mind where you stay then I ask most people here why would you continue to own at DVC unless you are selling points? Clearly there is a cheaper alternative.

For me, it's a combo of what is the cheapest and emotional. A timeshare IS partly an emotional purchase. It's no different from buying a luxury car because that's what you like instead of what costs the least. As a BLT, AKV and HHI owner, I like knowing that I have my Christmas vacation locked in 11 months in advance at places I like the most. If I need to wait later to book and save points, I'll look into an RCI exchange as my "savings" plan, not spend thousands of dollars on a place I don't want to stay like SSR (if this is how you feel). Again, if it's about saving money, I would encourage a non DVC exchange.

For the record, I am not a SSR hater, I will stay there one day too, as my wife loves the theming there. I don't mind it either.
Most of my stays and all of my longer stays but one or 2 the last 14 yrs or so have actually been on exchange with II or RCI. I've had as many as 10 villas in a year and 9 at one time and never less than a 1 BR. I've stayed at all resorts that were in RCI or II during that time except for BLT, I chose other resorts when it was available. Historically my average cost has been around $350 per week inclusive of exchange fees, the extra $95 AND the underlying timeshare fees. Going forward I'm looking at about $650 a week and I've never had a time when I wanted to go and couldn't. We'll be down with family in May with three 1BR units at SSR. Actually I can't ever remember a time when I didn't get what I wanted for an exchange anywhere but I have reasonable expectations from the start. I've been to HI 4 times on timeshare exchanges for 2 or 3 weeks each time, Aruba 3 times (just matched for 2016), HHI TNTC during mid summer, Gatlinburg and Nashville including large family trips (up to 10 units at a time), Charleston, Savannah, MB, MX, LV, PCB, St. Augustine, Daytona TNTC, West Palm, VB (on exchange).

I do think there are times when buying DVC makes sense and when buying only non DVC makes sense. Actually one of the best approaches for some who can travel at least a couple of weeks a year is to buy both. Side by side in a 2 BR for a week DVC is a lot more expensive but it is more flexible and for many it's not as large of a difference as some would think. Even for a week in a 2 BR per yr in Orlando compared to other top resorts and considering all costs, there isn't a huge yearly difference in MF, the up front costs are the main difference. And if one uses DVC for less than a 2 BR and other than 7 nights at a time, the cost difference often shrinks further. OTOH if you use DVC to trade out, esp cash type exchanges like DCL routinely, one dramatically increases their overall costs.

However, for such discussions it's usually assumed that we're talking the possibility of buying DVC in some form and that is the way you should look at my answer in this and similar threads. For new buyers essentially NONE of them have enough knowledge and experience to know where they want to stay routinely or they already plan to use the points to play the field. I'd exclude only the group who has a lot of DVC experience not being an owner such as adult children of owners and the like but that's it. As an example, but not to pick o him, you have an experienced owner above who bought 3 resorts one at a time thinking they were the one. And who knows, he may change his mind again to #4 at some point. I also believe that one should never buy unless they pay cash and have no other consumer debt which makes a smaller purchase more likely to be reasonable than a larger one. Far more common are those that THINK they want X where X is the newer resort or they have just arrived at that conclusion emotionally. While I'd agree with you there are emotions involved, I'd suggest that those emotions are essentially never helpful in helping us make good decisions. Thus I stand on 2 ideas, that it's better to underbuy and try to move up when you can even if disappointed at times and that one can do an occasional rental or transfer for the difference in costs if needed than to overbuy.

I realize some think they have to have X resort and that's all they can emotionally consider and I also realize there are other factors such as length of RTU (60 vs 54 is pretty irrelevant though currently)and that there are sometimes specialty savings (value AKV, standard views which only matter if one will use them consistently).

Let me turn it around the other way which is really the way I view this issue. If one must have X resort and can afford it (definition above) then go for it. In most other cases for new buyers it only makes sense to make the long term cost the first and most important criteria. Unit size and likely availability are also considerations at times. Since the usual other resort thrown out in this situation is AKV, that creates a unique discussion centered on the idea that AKV will always be available to reserve for none AKV owners in some way, just not value or concierge. For new buyers I don't think there's ever a time when AKV is a better choice than SSR just to get into the system to use for multiple resorts.

As for liking or not liking SSR, there's not a DVC resort I don't like but there are some I like better than others. HH is a great example, the non beach situation is a general negative but not to every single person. And IMO the purchase scenario is almost not related to whether one likes or doesn't a given resort anyway or at least it shouldn't be. I like each resort but sometimes for different reasons. To say I was pro SSR (or against it) would simply be wrong, I'm on record believing that SSR has had the single largest affect on the 7 month window of any resort and really than every other resort combined to date so to some I'm a SSR hater.

I'd also add that this is based on the current scenario and pricing thus someone who bought a higher end resort when the difference was only 15-20% are in a different place than current buyers would be.

I would like to point out to anyone who is considering buying another timeshare to trade into DVC. Be very careful, fully understand what you are doing. Most timeshares are not like DVC where you can rent, sell, or even cancel reservations. So be careful!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter