AKL Sunrise Safari vs. AK Backstage Safari

Mary Ellen

DIS Veteran
Has anyone been on both of these?? We're staying at the AKL and have signed up for the Sunrise Safari. The Backstage Safari Tour also sounds interesting, but if it is too similar to the SS we don't want to waste our time and $ on it.

Many thanks -

Bump

I would like to see an answer to this also. We did the SUnrise Safari, it was fun and worthwhile. I would like to know how it differs also.

While I've never done the Sunrise Safari (haven't stayed at AKL yet), we did the Backstage Safari tour at AK in 2001. Its an educational tour that shows you the barn area - where we were able to meet a White Rhino (although no animals are guaranteed on the tour), a classroom area where you meet a "reptile" guy, a tour of the kitchen facilities and food storage area, and the vet clinic/hospital. It was very enjoyable and informative. You learn a lot of neat secrets about the park and the animals. If you like animals (and learning about them), I would recommend this tour. No one under 16 is allowed. You also receive a special Backstage Safari pin at the end of the tour.

Just bumping, hoping that someone out there has experienced both the SS and Backstage Safari.

If you are really interested in animals (as I am), I think you would enjoy both. I took the Backstage Safari about a year and a half ago. The guides describe alot about the care, feeding, behavior enhancement and housing for the animals. You do get to meet an animal or two (when I took the tour it was a giraffe and a bird, not it sounds like rhinos), but the tour is primarily educational.

I took the Sunrise Safari this past June. It was great. The keepers are so informative. They do describe a little about the backstage areas as you are driving to the safari vehicles, so there is some overlap. Then you get in the safari vehicles and take off on your safari. The trip is really dictated by the animals and where they are in the savannah. It's early in the morning so they are very active. We saw impalas running as a herd, giraffes just about looking in our truck and even heard the lions roar. The guides take their time and really describe the animals behavior and characteristics. They will also answer any questions you have. After the safari there's that great breakfast feast at the Tusker House. The guides attend the breakast too. Our guide sat with us and continued to answer questions.
Hope this helps.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter