Airmiles Armchair Chatter

Not sure which days you are travelling in April but I was just doing a little checking. Look at the option of booking 2 one way tickets instead of a round trip. You may find it will cost fewer AM. I was looking at April 21-28 and somehow it was a lot cheaper when I looked at 2 one way flights vs a round trip ticket. (just a option to consider)

I am looking at April 13 to 23, and must have direct :) Up until Monday it was "on sale" for 2240 AM each plus $150 for taxes etc. Now it's up to over 3000 AM each. So. I will probably use AM to do the flight home because it's the most expensive as cash but for some reason the cheapest in AM plus cash. And something else for the way down, but if I can get 250 more AM (plus the STB) I will have enough to at least do AM for one flight on the way down. It's way more math than I want to have to figure out. The flights themselves went up too high so I need AM to help. I could risk flying in the day of the cruise, but that scares me. I do not want to miss the ship!!

Everything else is paid for though, (not Disney) cruise, two nights at Disney after, 1-day ticket after. Oh, I need one night precruise too, but will either stay near the airport or the port, and may just book it with the transfers. Then no more trips. For awhile. I think. We really would like to go on one of the Star Wars Disney Cruises, but they are so expensive. And a week at Disney before kiddo turns 10. Man, I need to make more money! Or pick one or the other trip.

It would be really great if we could book things online and use AM against it. I hope that new way of booking happens soon and is worth it. I don't want to have to actually go to a travel agent.

Fingers crossed the flight costs change when your STB are posted. They are up and down all the time. Here's hoping!

What I don't understand is the taxes and fees. I've seen them ask for $248 in taxes, but when I find those same flights for purchase the taxes are the typical $148 (YHZ starting airport). How can they charge you the $248 when that really isn't the true cost?

Last edited:

What I don't understand is the taxes and fees. I've seen them ask for $248 in taxes, but when I find those same flights for purchase the taxes are the typical $148 (YHZ starting airport). How can they charge you the $248 when that really isn't the true cost?

They add an additional fee for booking through Airmiles. I'm not sure what it is to be honest. And it varies so much flight to flight. I wish there was some consistency in flight prices, it would be so much easier to plan for things! Hotels I have a pretty good idea of rates for a given time of year, never with flights though.

I haven't looked at a breakdown of the taxes and fees recently, but my guess would be that while most of them are a fixed charge, one or two of them must be variable with the cost of the flight. I'll dig out an old reservation and see if I can figure something out.

They add an additional fee for booking through Airmiles. I'm not sure what it is to be honest. And it varies so much flight to flight. I wish there was some consistency in flight prices, it would be so much easier to plan for things! Hotels I have a pretty good idea of rates for a given time of year, never with flights though.

I'm not sure about that. Each time I have booked flights with air miles the taxes match what I would have paid out-of-pocket for the actual flight.

Those of us who are wary of combining coupons at Rexall should wait till the weekend, there's a threshold spend $50 = 60 and $70 = 100

It seems it's dollar days in the west at Safeway. There are a few items I think I will pick up that are a better price than i can get at Stupidstore or No Frills. I don't think I'll hit the get 100 Am for $100.00 spent. I have some load and go offers too i can cash in on. I did score 15 AM on with buy 2 Tim Horton coffee. It was an in store promo as it wasn't in the flyer this week. Might have to walk around the isles to see if there are any other Am hidden in there.

Time to study flyers again (me likey Thursdays!) Here are the links that haven't already been provided -- also updated 1st post

Rexall West

• Spend $50 get 60 AM
  • Spend $70 get 100 AM
  • Tuesday Seniors save 20% spend $50 get $10 GC
Sobeys West
Sobeys Atlantic
Foodland Atlantic

Big thing i noticed today is that several of the grocery flyers comment on the # of AM available IN STORE and that number is higher than the flyer shows so like someone mentioned last week, they're looking for ways to keep us in the store once we get there! Hubby and I had a discussion over the changes we're noticing in rewards & sales since the minimum wage jumped in Ontario (careful to avoid a political post here :P ) --- since stores will still want to protect their bottom line they are going to have to adjust the way the draw in customers once we notice the prices are increasing to support their increased salary costs. If Metro doesn't go back to price matching and/or increase their rewards we might be forced to shop elsewhere for the bulk of our food. It will be hard for them because they have to *pay* to give us those miles.

Time to study flyers again (me likey Thursdays!) Here are the links that haven't already been provided -- also updated 1st post

Rexall West

• Spend $50 get 60 AM
  • Spend $70 get 100 AM
  • Tuesday Seniors save 20% spend $50 get $10 GC
Sobeys West
Sobeys Atlantic
Foodland Atlantic

Big thing i noticed today is that several of the grocery flyers comment on the # of AM available IN STORE and that number is higher than the flyer shows so like someone mentioned last week, they're looking for ways to keep us in the store once we get there! Hubby and I had a discussion over the changes we're noticing in rewards & sales since the minimum wage jumped in Ontario (careful to avoid a political post here :P ) --- since stores will still want to protect their bottom line they are going to have to adjust the way the draw in customers once we notice the prices are increasing to support their increased salary costs. If Metro doesn't go back to price matching and/or increase their rewards we might be forced to shop elsewhere for the bulk of our food. It will be hard for them because they have to *pay* to give us those miles.
Not getting political, just stating a fact. The Sobeys across the street from us cut their hours from 6am-11pm( used to be 24 hours couple of years ago) to 8am - 10pm. Well with those new hours I can not get the food supplies for work from there anymore. So lose out on those AM.

Have to share my excitement with fellow Canadians. Being part of DVC has allowed us to travel south more than we would have before. Now I have been able to secure Grand Californian for our Aug trip. 1st time there and for those who know DVC hard to get at 7 months out. Add this to the Can tickets for there and my westjet companion card both my wife and I have. Equals a reasonable west coast trip.

Have to share my excitement with fellow Canadians. Being part of DVC has allowed us to travel south more than we would have before. Now I have been able to secure Grand Californian for our Aug trip. 1st time there and for those who know DVC hard to get at 7 months out. Add this to the Can tickets for there and my westjet companion card both my wife and I have. Equals a reasonable west coast trip.
WOW, That's exciting news fursure! That should be great fun, you're having a great year for bonus trips, aren't you??

WHOA! that is awesome, especially August!!! I would think it would be pretty busy. I have only walked through the lobby and I was in awe. That will be amazing!

How exciting! We love the GCH and after our stay last August, I am pretty sure we will only stay there (or the DLH) if the $$$ is too crazy.

We've done that trip in August. Grand Californian is soooo close to the park and really has a special feel to it. You guys will have a great time! We much prefer Disneyland to WDW.

Good Morning
I am going to try and visit Sobeys or Foodland and see if I can discover some of their in store specials.
So far I have the Dempsters bread (buy 2 at 2.99 each and get 25 airmiles) special and that's it.
Happy weekend shopping everyone.
Hugs Mel

Oh WOW
I am so happy for you and your family,,you are going to have a blast!
Have a great time planning!
Hugs Mel

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter