Airmiles Armchair Chatter

I'm so happy that your flights worked out so well! Love it when we're able to help each other out like this.
Car rental -- we never take any extra insurance when renting a car because our personal auto insurance covers rental cars (to allow us to have a rental when ours has been in an accident!!). When i called to confirm this a couple of years ago our agent told me "just don't rent a Hummer, you're only covered for $50,000" We just keep an extra copy of the insurance slip in each of our wallets. You will be asked for a credit card when you pickup the car and they will charge the taxes & fees after you drop the car off. :P )
Ditto. Within North American only, comprehensive personal car insurance covers us for rentals.

Edit to add: Just to be clear, your regular car insurance deductible would apply for rental cars. So if there is damage and you opted out of the car rental company insurance and don't have credit card coverage, you would be responsible for the deductible.
This is unlike if you paid for the rental in full with a premium credit card that has car rental insurance. There is no deductible for that.

Last edited:
Actually we are thinking of taking a roadtrip to the Kitchener market sometime in June so I may just. I have this priority pass with my CC so we will take advantage of that perk and fill up our tummies.

Question for anyone who might know. I booked flights last night. Checking my CC today, I was charged for the flights but there was an extra charge put through of $1 for each flight. It went through as a separate charge (not just added onto my flight). Anyone know what this is for? It's not like they don't add a thousand and one fees on already but why this is separate is a mystery to me.

Called AM, turns out its and authorization to confirm that my CC is valid. It will be reversed in a few days. I never used to check my CC so soon after a purchase. (posting this so others will learn from my ditsy blonde stupidity).
IME this is quite common. Hotels, car rentals, even gas station preauthorized fuel ups generate a temporary charge on a credit card.

Anyone have any luck with the wines that are on the Mega Miles campaign? I was at the LCBO yesterday and they told me that they had never heard of them. An employee checked their computer system and while it is in there they said that it showed the wines would not be shipped to stores until May 29th. I could buy the vodka I guess.....

Anyone have any luck with the wines that are on the Mega Miles campaign? I was at the LCBO yesterday and they told me that they had never heard of them. An employee checked their computer system and while it is in there they said that it showed the wines would not be shipped to stores until May 29th. I could buy the vodka I guess.....

Hi Hon
I am in Mississauga Ontario and I went to three stores (LCBO) before I could find a bottle of the wine,,last one on the shelf.
I politely mentioned to the cashier that you would think with this product being listed in the new Mega Miles flyer (Coupon book) that they would atleast have some stock.
Hopefully they start shipping the wine out soon.
Hugs Mel

If you go to LCBO.ca, on the upper right search, you can enter the wine and then select 'all stores' to see availability near you. Or you can order online and have it shipped to your store.

Edit to add: This particular wine in the Mega Miles promotion is a Californian wine, so head to that section.

Hi Hon
I am in Mississauga Ontario and I went to three stores (LCBO) before I could find a bottle of the wine,,last one on the shelf.
I politely mentioned to the cashier that you would think with this product being listed in the new Mega Miles flyer (Coupon book) that they would atleast have some stock.
Hopefully they start shipping the wine out soon.
Hugs Mel
I feel for you. One would think all those Mega Miles booklets would be in all the sponsor stores. Maybe just even in the back. Let alone the product on the shelf. Who buys for these giant companies ?!?

It's a funny thing, this Air Miles collector brain that we all have here on DisBoards. In reality, the majority of people, including the staff at the sponsor stores, have no clue on how lucrative Air Miles offers can be. Further, the store managers are not any more knowledgable than their staff. And in reality, we as collectors want to keep it that way.

I wonder about the people who come up with the Air Miles super promotions that we see. I have to guess that they don't really understand the value of an Air Mile.

The Bicks Pickles offer is the perfect example....

Did Foodland really intend to sell the jars at almost a double loss? I know about 'loss leaders' but that is kind of incredible. Did Bicks big company really agree to sell the jars at cost to Foodland distributors so that they could sell them at a further loss? Or did the Foodland person/department who came up with the offer not really know the value of that amount of Air Miles? Or do they collect Air Miles, and were like 'whoah man', I'm going to buy lots of these?'

Even the Shop the Block promtion! I did that for little out of pocket cost.

Or this Mega Miles event. I now have five coupons for sponsors I likely would have shopped at anyway (or like Shell, paid a bit more for fuel). Oh, and my $19.70 bottle of wine that I otherwise would not have tried. (It's really good, by the way - though I'm a cheap wine connoisseur).

My opinion: the more confused merchants are, the better. I really don't know how Rexall stays in business given all the value I get out of them. The only conclusion is - a very very small subset of the population (well presented here) actually particpate in these offers actively. Otherwise, it's almost just an invitation to go bankrupt.

Last edited:

Just back from my Rexall hunting trip ..uhm shopping trip, yeah SHOPPING :P And further to @DilEmma 's comment, they didn't even have the coupon booklets nor did they know what i was looking for! They were just unpacking the signs and putting out the coupons as i left.

Spent $34.38 and snagged 184 AM. Successfully used the MM coupon, the weekly coupon and my LnG offer, plus picked up $15.00 worth of cards for 30 AM. Stopped at Winners on the way home & used my MasterCard -- that's 2 of the 25 sales done now.

Made it to Foodland :car:and then crashed and sat on the curb outside of the store--my leg was just too painful to walk and shop.
My sons were with me so I let them loose in the store by themselves---:sad2: oh my,,$160.00 later and 117 airmiles earned.
Not too bad but I really miss the shopping part--hunting for airmiles.
Oh well one more Mega Miles for me and I'm finished!
Hugs Mel

I am super glad the majority of you can cash in on the MM promo. I just look at them and weep. I would be stretching it to get 2 or 3. And as we have all said, it does not pay if you need to pay more for something.
Super Glad, and little jealous.
Keep it up.

I feel for you. One would think all those Mega Miles booklets would be in all the sponsor stores. Maybe just even in the back. Let alone the product on the shelf. Who buys for these giant companies ?!?

It's a funny thing, this Air Miles collector brain that we all have here on DisBoards. In reality, the majority of people, including the staff at the sponsor stores, have no clue on how lucrative Air Miles offers can be. Further, the store managers are not any more knowledgable than their staff. And in reality, we as collectors want to keep it that way.

I wonder about the people who come up with the Air Miles super promotions that we see. I have to guess that they don't really understand the value of an Air Mile.

The Bicks Pickles offer is the perfect example....

Did Foodland really intend to sell the jars at almost a double loss? I know about 'loss leaders' but that is kind of incredible. Did Bicks big company really agree to sell the jars at cost to Foodland distributors so that they could sell them at a further loss? Or did the Foodland person/department who came up with the offer not really know the value of that amount of Air Miles? Or do they collect Air Miles, and were like 'whoah man', I'm going to buy lots of these?'

Even the Shop the Block promtion! I did that for little out of pocket cost.

Or this Mega Miles event. I now have five coupons for sponsors I likely would have shopped at anyway (or like Shell, paid a bit more for fuel). Oh, and my $19.70 bottle of wine that I otherwise would not have tried. (It's really good, by the way - though I'm a cheap wine connoisseur).

My opinion: the more confused merchants are, the better. I really don't know how Rexall stays in business given all the value I get out of them. The only conclusion is - a very very small subset of the population (well presented here) actually particpate in these offers actively. Otherwise, it's almost just an invitation to go bankrupt.

Yep we sure are a "special group of airmiles collectors",
For the Mega Miles Shop I am proud that I have done it for very little out of pocket money--the wine was the only thing I can think of that I normally wouldn't buy, but it will be put to good use.
I think you may be right about keeping the Merchants confused.
Usually I bulk buy on sale non perishable items at Rexall and so far I feel I've gotten good value on savings and been well rewarded with the airmiles.
Hugs to you
Mel

Wow, you guys are just flying through this promo! I think bababear_50 is going to be finished before I start!

My gas level is at the point where I can put $25 in so will be doing that tomorrow and hopefully pick up a lowes or rona gc at the same time. I'm waiting to see the Foodland flyer to decide if it's going to make my top 5 or not.

Shoppers has 20% off old navy gcs starting Saturday. Assuming these can be used for online purchases (actually don't know) might be useful if you are considering purchasing at old navy for the airmilesshops $150. (Someone mentioned old navy on their list on this thread, sorry I don't recall how many posts back).

Wow, you guys are just flying through this promo! I think bababear_50 is going to be finished before I start!

My gas level is at the point where I can put $25 in so will be doing that tomorrow and hopefully pick up a lowes or rona gc at the same time. I'm waiting to see the Foodland flyer to decide if it's going to make my top 5 or not.

Shoppers has 20% off old navy gcs starting Saturday. Assuming these can be used for online purchases (actually don't know) might be useful if you are considering purchasing at old navy for the airmilesshops $150. (Someone mentioned old navy on their list on this thread, sorry I don't recall how many posts back).
I haven't started either. Mel, take care of that leg. I'm sure you'll have fun emptying the bags to see what the boys thought was a necessary buy. If I let my DH free in the store, it would be strictly chips, popcorn, bakery goods. lol

Old Navy gift cards can definitely be used online.

And the best part about these gift cards is they can be used at any of the Gap Inc. stores - Gap, Old Navy and Banana Republic, both in store and online. It says so on the back of the cards.

I'm definitely going to be stocking up on these cards. Thanks for the heads up!!

Great 'hunting' everyone! So far for the MM I've gotten the Shell offer on Monday, the Staples offer today, the airmilesshops offer yesterday and I'm going to try Rexall again tomorrow, and Safeway Pharmacy on Sunday - so that'll be my five, yay!

I'm also helping my daughter get the MM for her account, so I placed a Lowe's order through the airmilesshops with her card number today, and split my Staples order in two today, $78 on mine, $82 on hers, she'll get gas at Shell, I'll do a Rexall run for hers, then probably Safeway groceries on Sunday, and she'll have the bonus too!

The Sobeys flyer for Ontario has some giftcards this week!

$50.00 card for : Spa Finder, Gap Stores, Keg, Kobo, Cactus Club & Roots get 70 AM
$25.00 card for the same stores get 35 AM
Timmies ice cap -- Buy 2 get 10 AM -- no idea of cost but hubby hated them last summer
Nothing else overly exciting.
Metro flyer is a complete bust for us, the typical larger offers on the back page are pitiful. Foodland flyer is also lacking anything worthwhile

Rexall has the beauty event on Sunday again, spend $50 get 100 AM. Friday - Sunday Spend $40 get 40 AM. Some allergy meds spend $20 get 10 AM or spend $40 get 25 AM

Thanks for the shopping flyer summary Donald. I have to head to Sobey's anyway to use the coupon. I'll just get regular groceries I guess. Then I'm off to Urban Fresh downtown to pick up a few more things and use coupon #2. Rexall will be coupon 3, DS need insoles for his shoes, I'll use the coupon and the email coupon. I'm up to 11 transactions on my M/C and $400 away from what I need to spend in May on their other bonus. When I'm back it will be Foodland for #4. M/C is #5 and I need to figure out a just in case #6 (Shell). 1250AM +150AM (BMO) here I come.

It's going to be hard to pull myself away from the hunt during such a fun time but the world is calling. I will check in during mid-afternoon breaks to keep up to date otherwise I just feel completely out of the loop when I return.

As I think about it the BMO bonus of 150 is really 450AM as I will get 300AM for spending $3000 on my M/C. Total AM on this promotion (1835AM)

Goodmorning Airmile hunters
I am thinking of using my spend 95 cash miles (Mega Miles Shop) and buying the $15 meat deal and get $10.00 Sobeys gift card back.
Does that make sense?
Hugs Mel

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter