Air travel policy updates

2Lunds

DIS Veteran
I broke this thread off from the land border discussion. I'll start by posting this update from June 9 2021 https://www.cbc.ca/news/politics/hotel-quarantine-1.6058930

My current gripe is that doing away with the hotel quarantine is great, but the testing required both before entering the USA, and upon arriving back in Canada is *very* expensive. That, combined with a still mandatory (at-home) shorter quarantine doesn't do much to free up leisure travel.

I broke this thread off from the land border discussion. I'll start by posting this update from June 9 2021 https://www.cbc.ca/news/politics/hotel-quarantine-1.6058930

My current gripe is that doing away with the hotel quarantine is great, but the testing required both before entering the USA, and upon arriving back in Canada is *very* expensive. That, combined with a still mandatory (at-home) shorter quarantine doesn't do much to free up leisure travel.
Agreed. I’d love to see the testing requirements dropped or at least lessened for fully vaccinated travellers.

Agreed. I’d love to see the testing requirements dropped or at least lessened for fully vaccinated travellers.
I'd even settle for more choices for private testing, acknowledging that leisure travel is happening. There are only 2 labs in MB doing it right now, and they're $500 each! YEESH.

I don’t think the point was to free up leisure travel. I think they want to start slowly and cautiously while we get out of the end of this wave and get people both vaccinations. Those who can’t or won’t wait for various reasons now have a path forward . An expensive one perhaps, but a path nonetheless.
I think those tests will get easier and less expensive to get based on how long they will be required .

I'm still confused on what happens to the under 12's.

Say we go away in August. DH and I fully vaxxed by then and let's assume our 12yr old is too (she *should* get second shot before end of July). That leaves our 10 yr old. We ALL get neg tests to get back on the plane, we ALL get tested again at the airport and then.....what? Can we leave, go home, isolate for 1-3 days til our tests come back neg, but our 10yr old stays in quarantine at home? We are not expected to get a hotel for her (and us) are we? My head hurts thinking about all this :headache: Is a late August trip even possible?Will our Aulani trip be possible?

I'm still confused on what happens to the under 12's.

Say we go away in August. DH and I fully vaxxed by then and let's assume our 12yr old is too (she *should* get second shot before end of July). That leaves our 10 yr old. We ALL get neg tests to get back on the plane, we ALL get tested again at the airport and then.....what? Can we leave, go home, isolate for 1-3 days til our tests come back neg, but our 10yr old stays in quarantine at home? We are not expected to get a hotel for her (and us) are we? My head hurts thinking about all this :headache: Is a late August trip even possible?Will our Aulani trip be possible?

Yes, there really needs to be more clarification here.

So please help walk me this if I wanted to fly from Pearson to Orlando and back; as of now I need:

1) a PCR test within 72 hours of departure (I see Lifelabs has Flyclear for $200 that takes 48hrs...so timing would have to be bang on).

2) Do I need another PCR test to board the return flight from Orlando, again within 72hrs? (Any tips/info/cost on getting this done)

3). When landing, will I be given a test to take (any cost?), then quarantine waiting for results?

Trying to get all this straight in my head.

So please help walk me this if I wanted to fly from Pearson to Orlando and back; as of now I need:

1) a PCR test within 72 hours of departure (I see Lifelabs has Flyclear for $200 that takes 48hrs...so timing would have to be bang on).

2) Do I need another PCR test to board the return flight from Orlando, again within 72hrs? (Any tips/info/cost on getting this done)

3). When landing, will I be given a test to take (any cost?), then quarantine waiting for results?

Trying to get all this straight in my head.
For your first question: If you are flying out of Pearson for the next little while, you can take advantage of the short-term study going on where they will administer a rapid test for free at T1 or T3 before you flight. You have to book it in advance online.

I confess that I am somewhat confused by the announcement details. Are they saying that the quarantine hotels are being dropped as of now or as of some nebulous point in the future?

I confess that I am somewhat confused by the announcement details. Are they saying that the quarantine hotels are being dropped as of now or as of some nebulous point in the future?
Some time in July I think?

For your first question: If you are flying out of Pearson for the next little while, you can take advantage of the short-term study going on where they will administer a rapid test for free at T1 or T3 before you flight. You have to book it in advance online.
Wish Vancouver had that. I have no idea what happens when we land there, if we’re given a rapid test there or what? R

What about connecting flights? We are considering a trip to Puerto Vallarta or Cancun in August but for our dates some flights are connecting through Calgary and then changing planes for Vancouver. Do we test at the airport in Calgary? Because doing a 1-3 day isolation there is obvs not going to happen. Ugh.

What about connecting flights? We are considering a trip to Puerto Vallarta or Cancun in August but for our dates some flights are connecting through Calgary and then changing planes for Vancouver. Do we test at the airport in Calgary? Because doing a 1-3 day isolation there is obvs not going to happen. Ugh.

Under the current rules you do the the test at the initial Canadian arrival airport followed by the initial hotel quarantine at a designated hotel local to that airport while waiting for the result. It is only after receiving the negative test result from that initial test that one is allowed to travel to final destination for approved quarantine.

According to CBC reporting, with the proposed revision to those guidelines for people who are fully vaccinated: "Health Minister Patty Hajdu said the government is hoping to ease some restrictions in stages, starting in early July. She said those fully vaccinated Canadians and permanent residents will still have to take a COVID-19 test on arrival and have an isolation plan until their test comes back negative."

My read of that is if you are fully vaccinated you would be tested in Calgary on arrival and have to isolate (in Calgary) under an approved isolation plan until you get the negative test result. Once you have the negative test result, you would be able to travel onward.

SW

@Starwind, thanks for outlining that.

This is why direct flights will be VERY important going forward.

It might be just easier to do an all inclusive package as the resorts provide free PCR tests at the resort. Then direct flight home, test at home airport, then 1-3 day quarantine at home.

There are only 4 Canadian airports accepting international flights: Vancouver, Calgary, Toronto, Montreal. If you don't live in one of those cities, there are no direct flights. Even during "normal" times smaller centres don't have direct flights. The direct flights I've ever taken from Winnipeg are charters from vacation companies (like Sunwing for example) to Mexico.

There are only 4 Canadian airports accepting international flights: Vancouver, Calgary, Toronto, Montreal. If you don't live in one of those cities, there are no direct flights. Even during "normal" times smaller centres don't have direct flights. The direct flights I've ever taken from Winnipeg are charters from vacation companies (like Sunwing for example) to Mexico.

Halifax has TONS of direct flights in normal times. I wouldn't be traveling until Nov/Dec so assuming directs will be back by then. Same for all inclusives.

I think the announcement is really just current state/temporary and more changes will come in time. Unless you are travelling in the next few weeks I don't see how any current state answers will help.

The airlines are selling direct flights to/from other places than currently available, they are assuming those flights will be able to happen. I have flights booked for December, direct home to Ottawa (couldn't get a direct to as they changed it to non-direct on Fridays) but I am well aware things may change by then, and while it's lovely to know testing requirements today, I don't think they will be the same by the time we actually get to go, especially since most eligible people will have their two doses by then (if they choose to get it). If we hit those "herd immunity" marks then who knows what it will be.

I don't think they are talking about children travelling because we are still not supposed to be travelling for vacation/fun.

My read of that is if you are fully vaccinated you would be tested in Calgary on arrival and have to isolate (in Calgary) under an approved isolation plan until you get the negative test result. Once you have the negative test result, you would be able to travel onward.
Thank you for the break down of information.

Last edited:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter