Air miles points devaluation for Universal tix

Juventus

DIS Veteran
Looking at UO tickets and itseems like I'd only be getting about 9.6 cents per point vs. 11.1 when I checked in January. I would expect 9.6 when using personal shopper.

Does the value of the Points often change on the website?

Looking to buy 5 of the most expensive ticket I can then converting to annual pass ( I've read it doesn't matter ticket type as long as I upgrade before initial use)

I am seeing 5890 points for a 5 day, 2 park ticket and the price of that same ticket on the UO website is $417. 99 US or $571 Can (for the dates I chose April 17). That is about 9.7 cents per point.

I guess you could try different tickets and find something better value.

Last edited:
Ya I actual made a little chart in January with all the different ticket types with their cost from the actual UO website (in US and CAD at about 1.38 exchange) versus their AM points cost.

I just started doing it again last night as we may pull the trigger on our August trip with all the BMO takeover news and the point values went down (this takes into account the slight price increase of the actual tickets from the UO website and an exchange of 1.41 now (approx).

The only good news is the price on the annual pass from the UO website has not increased. We have 28K+ point and will buy the 5 most expensive tickets we can with them (right now 3 park, 2 day), then upgrade before we enter the parks to the 2 park premier annual pass (apparantly you can go from 3 park tix to 2 park annual pass as long as you haven't entered Volcano Bay beforehand).

Just wondering if I should hold off a week or so to see if this changes.

Thats not the way i look at it: most websites say to get at least 11 cents worth per point when redeeming the points that you earned. And I earned many of those points by shopping at retailers that are more expensive than others. I don't feel like I'm getting anything for free.

Anyways, universal annual passes have not increased in price but the value of the tickets I can get from AM to put towards them by bridging has decreased within the last month or so. By at least 10%.

IMO....there is no math. You are getting the tickets for free using your miles. This is about what you are saving not about how many cents each miles is 'worth'.
I have a hard time thinking like this. lol I just used a bunch for two nights hotel in Orlando before we are onsite and I just keep thinking you know how long it took me to get those?? LOL Yes, I have to think of the money I'm not spending, but I still can't help but try and figure out how to squeeze the most out of them!

So when I went to purchase the tickets yesterday, the amount of points necessary changed (for the better) from the search screen and the final purchase screen.

The 3 park, 5 day park to park ticket for the selected date came up at 6635 points, then when I clicked 'book now', it switched to 6044 (the value of the ticket compared tot he current UO website was about $674cad after tax/convestion).

I bought 4 of these, and need one more: even if I have 6044 points I cannot select 'see details' if it initially shows costing 6635: so either I will wait to collect more points or make a phone call.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter