Advice/Reassurance/Guidance Wanted...hold my hand please

Thank you everyone!

I finally received an e-mail from QVC! They assured me that once they receive the computer, I will receive my refund promptly (phew!) so that should not be a problem. They apologized that it "did not meet my expectations" (that's an understatement!) and they also said that I do not need to worry about sending back the Productivity Suite. So, for now, I feel much better. I still won't be completely stress-free until they have received the computer, but I know the USPS is not the fastest way to ship so I will give it time. Insurance was included and I have my tracking number and receipt so I am not super worried yet.

The laptop did not have an optical drive so I am not even sure how I could have done ANYTHING on it. I literally turned it on and it said, "Please install an operating system" and had some other computer language on it. I was not inclined to go out and buy Windows 10 and try to figure out how to load it myself, especially when it should have come with it in the first place.

That is stressful. Glad you heard back from them and feel better. I hope that you can find another computer for your daughter from a different store that she will be happy with.

Thank you everyone!

I finally received an e-mail from QVC! They assured me that once they receive the computer, I will receive my refund promptly (phew!) so that should not be a problem. They apologized that it "did not meet my expectations" (that's an understatement!) and they also said that I do not need to worry about sending back the Productivity Suite. So, for now, I feel much better. I still won't be completely stress-free until they have received the computer, but I know the USPS is not the fastest way to ship so I will give it time. Insurance was included and I have my tracking number and receipt so I am not super worried yet.

The laptop did not have an optical drive so I am not even sure how I could have done ANYTHING on it. I literally turned it on and it said, "Please install an operating system" and had some other computer language on it. I was not inclined to go out and buy Windows 10 and try to figure out how to load it myself, especially when it should have come with it in the first place.

Well, you can load windows using a USB drive, which all laptops have. Most new computers don't have optical drives these days and that is how you load the OS.

Regardless, an HP laptop should definitely have an OS preinstalled, so it's either a defect or a corrupted hard drive.

P.S. HP computers are complete junk. Buy your daughter a Microsoft Surface.

To add to what @davper said, I recently bought a refurbed laptop that had the wrong OS loaded on it. (It came with Win 10 home preloaded, but sent a Win 10 pro key that would not validate.) Tech support offered to RMA it, but that would’ve taken a good deal of time. Instead, the technician sent me a link to download the installation program for Win 10 pro and I loaded it myself and was up and running again in an hour.

I know it’s too late to try that now, but in case someone else runs into a similar situation and reads this thread, that’s another option, too.

We just sold one of our dvc contracts and sent the closing papers back via the usps. It was supposed to be there in 2 days. It took close to 2 weeks. It went from Georgia to Tennessee and then went off the grid for over a week. No updates during that time.

It finally made it to Florida. Hope you have the same good fortune.

Make the call to QVC - make it very clear to whom ever is on the phone that you just want your money back... have everything you need on hand when making the call... tracking number on the package... Also go to the post office or on-line and have them check where your package is at... They can tell you if its been delivered...

For me I would call the credit card company now, and dispute the charges... and just get your money back and start over...

To add to what @davper said, I recently bought a refurbed laptop that had the wrong OS loaded on it. (It came with Win 10 home preloaded, but sent a Win 10 pro key that would not validate.) Tech support offered to RMA it, but that would’ve taken a good deal of time. Instead, the technician sent me a link to download the installation program for Win 10 pro and I loaded it myself and was up and running again in an hour.

I know it’s too late to try that now, but in case someone else runs into a similar situation and reads this thread, that’s another option, too.

A brand new computer purchase shouldn't require jumping through hoops like this. Either it missed some major QC checks, or it has an issue like a hard drive failure. In any case, I'd return it immediately. Even if you could get an OS loaded, who knows what else is wrong.

I used to work for HP (and still work for a company spun off from it). This advice comes from experience :)

But I don't think HP laptops are "junk" as a PP said - I find them to usually be a good value for the money. I've had many over the years, as well as many of other brands, and the HPs are fine. They have no more or less issues than the other brands.

Last edited:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter