ADVICE please on our dining choices

Towmater Blue

Earning My Ears
I believe I previously posted this in the wrong thread. Please forgive me if thus is the case. I'm new and still learning the ropes.

Hello! A very excited spring traveling, Disney bound family here.:banana: My hubby, DD4 and I are heading to FL for our first family trip to WDW. Although we have a bit of a structured itinerary, I realize that we are traveling with a LO. She will ultimately dictate what we do and don’t do. I am okay with that and I have absolutely no problem with restructuring our day if she needs us to do so. I have been reading and soaking up as much knowledge as I can, but boy is it a lot. I was wondering if you would kindly review our tentative dining schedule and offer feedback. My family enjoys dining, so we chose the DxDP and POR will be our home away from home. We will not have a rental car. As we ge closer to the date this may change. Otherwise, we may take a cab to places that are more challenging to get to.

Here we go:

Sunday-Relax & Explore
Arrive in Orlando ~ Take ME to POR to check in. Go see AOA. DD loves Mater. Head to DTD. Dinner at WPGC.

Monday-AK
Brunch at Tusker House. Stay in park unyil 2 pm. Dinner at Flying Fish, The Wave, or Narcoosees at or around 5 pm. I really want to try Narcoosees for my DH. He loves seafood. I realize we have a little one. However, she is well behaved and even if she isn't, I would promptly leave to keep the peace.

Tuesday-MK
Park opening and lunch at Crystal Palace . Take a break aroubd 2 pm. Dinner at Ohana around 5 pm. Back to MK for WNS.

Wednesday-Free Day or Epcot
Today we’ll gauge how our little one is coping with all the stimulation from the parks and decide to either enjoy our resort for the day or head to Epcot. Tentatively, we have scheduled 10:30 breakfast at Cape May Cafe and 5 pm Le Cellier dinner.

Thursday-HS
Park opening and lunch at Sci-Fi. Leave after 3 pm parade. Dinner at Boatwright’s at 5 pm.

Friday-MK
Park opening. Lunch at CRT. Leave after 3 pm parade.

Saturday- L
Enjoy the resort and DTD. Departure at 7 pm

I look forward to hearing your feedback/advice. TIA!

Davis2902 said:
If you like "REAL" seafood don't waste your time at Boatwright's.

I think she probably has Boatwright's because they are staying at POR, not because she thinks it's an amazing seafood restaurant.

I assume you won't have a rental car, since you are taking ME. It looks like you aren't doing afternoon breaks? You don't mention when you are going, but if it hot, you might consider that. If you do afternoon breaks on some days, you are traveling anyway, so dinner location might not be as big of a deal. If you are staying put in one park, try to minimize travel.

You might consider Boatwright's for your AK day, so you can come back and relax at your resort after your first park day. Then for your DHS day, take the boat to Flying Fish when you are done with the park for the day. Then, for ease, take a cab back to POR. Yes, you could take the boat or walk to Epcot or DHS and take a bus from there, but that is a long day with a little one, and an hour long journey home might not be worth saving the cab fare.

Two TS a day takes up a lot of your touring time, but it sounds like that is how you like to vacation. Have fun!

Just remember that everything in Disney takes time. Even if you are in MK, it will take time to exit the park and catch the monorail over to the poly for dinner (just an example). Maybe space out your meals accordingly? A big lunch and then a 5pm dinner might be pushing things a bit, especially with a little one. We found it was so much food just being on the regular dining plan. Good luck planning....our favorites are Ohana, Cape May, and 1900 PF (for character interaction, not the food).

Towmater Blue said:
Today we’ll gauge how our little one is coping with all the stimulation from the parks and decide to either enjoy our resort for the day or head to Epcot.

Unfortunately, it is hard to make plans as you go, now that Disney charges you at many restaurants I'd you cancel your ADR within 24 or 48 hours. I am finding that now. I don't like ADRs for lunch most days because it cuts into touring time, but it is hard to know months in advance if the kids will want to go to a restaurant for dinner or just grab something and head to the pool at the resort. We are staying at POR for the first time in May. :-)

Cape May is a great choice for breakfast. Your 4 year old will love the characters. And the food is good, too.

Your plans look pretty good, especially for a first timer. :)

ChristineOH said:
I think she probably has Boatwright's because they are staying at POR, not because she thinks it's an amazing seafood restaurant.

I assume you won't have a rental car, since you are taking ME. It looks like you aren't doing afternoon breaks? You don't mention when you are going, but if it hot, you might consider that. If you do afternoon breaks on some days, you are traveling anyway, so dinner location might not be as big of a deal. If you are staying put in one park, try to minimize travel.

You might consider Boatwright's for your AK day, so you can come back and relax at your resort after your first park day. Then for your DHS day, take the boat to Flying Fish when you are done with the park for the day. Then, for ease, take a cab back to POR. Yes, you could take the boat or walk to Epcot or DHS and take a bus from there, but that is a long day with a little one, and an hour long journey home might not be worth saving the cab fare.

Two TS a day takes up a lot of your touring time, but it sounds like that is how you like to vacation. Have fun!

Thank you for your feedback. This planning process is hard since we have't a clue what to expect.

Yes, we are dining at Boatright's because it is located at the resort. I will certainly consider switching Flying Fish to a different day. Also, which restaurant would you choose out of the three listed for that day?

My thought process when scheduling the TS meals is my four year old may need some breaks and she is a three meals and two snacks a day type of child. I'm convinced she is having a major growth spurt. However, I am not opposed to having one TS per day. The fun and stimulation of Disney could change this. I'm simply not sure what to expect since it is our first time to Disney. This truly has been the hardest vacation I have ever planned.

Carriesouthard said:
Just remember that everything in Disney takes time. Even if you are in MK, it will take time to exit the park and catch the monorail over to the poly for dinner (just an example). Maybe space out your meals accordingly? A big lunch and then a 5pm dinner might be pushing things a bit, especially with a little one. We found it was so much food just being on the regular dining plan. Good luck planning....our favorites are Ohana, Cape May, and 1900 PF (for character interaction, not the food).

Thank you! I will consider that. It sounds like I should let go of the DxDP and try the DDP. I'm beginning to rethink not having a car.

ChristineOH said:
Unfortunately, it is hard to make plans as you go, now that Disney charges you at many restaurants I'd you cancel your ADR within 24 or 48 hours. I am finding that now. I don't like ADRs for lunch most days because it cuts into touring time, but it is hard to know months in advance if the kids will want to go to a restaurant for dinner or just grab something and head to the pool at the resort. We are staying at POR for the first time in May. :-)

Exactly! So you feel my pain. :) Thanks for the feedback. I will most certainly take these things into consideration.

Wood Nymph said:
Cape May is a great choice for breakfast. Your 4 year old will love the characters. And the food is good, too.

Your plans look pretty good, especially for a fort timer. :)

Thank you. I am trying to make this vacation as stress-free as humanly possible. However, it looks like I'm failing at it. ;)

I have updated the original post to include some addition information regarding our trip. Again, thanks everyone for being so thoughtful and providing feedback.

I would also skip Boatwrights. We ate there on our last trip and it was the only disappointing meal on our trip. I know you are staying at POR, but I would recommend taking the boat to DTD instead.

Planning is part of the fun :-) Just try and coordinate your dining with your park of choice for that day. Cape May would be perfect on your Epcot day, Ohana is perfect for a MK day etc. It really does take time just to get from point a to point b and I would hate to see you guys losing time traveling all over for meals! I assume you will want some pool time at your resort, remember to leave time to enjoy that! We found it difficult to pull our girls out of the BC pool to get ready for dinner reservations on our last trip. This trip our dining ressies will be at 6 instead of 5! CRT was great for breakfast. What about an early morning reservation at either Crystal Palace or CRT, there is nothing like having Main Street all to yourselves before MK opens :-)

Towmater Blue said:
I have updated the original post to include some addition information regarding our trip. Again, thanks everyone for being so thoughtful and providing feedback.

Looking at it now, I think you will be okay. The resort to resort travel is the trickiest, but if you are willing to grab a cab if time becomes an issue, I think you are fine. You will get varying strong opinions on the rental car, but I would rather grab an occasional cab than deal with a rental car.

We loved CRT. You can't beat eating in the castle! I have never eaten at any of the seafood restaurants, so I can't recommend any. If you eat at any of the monorail resorts, the monorail is fun for kids, but consider the boat too. We found it lovely to take the ferry from the Poly to MK. We will surely eat at Boatwright's too. It may not be the best meal we have, but since we are staying at POR, it will be convenient.

It IS very hard to plan, but fun and worth the effort.

If you plan on going to AoA do you realize there is no bus from the resort there? You would have to transfer in DTD, that wouldn't be a problem from POR but maybe you already know, I just figured I'd point it out. Also on both your HS and MK day you are leaving after the 3:00 parades, does your little one not enjoy fireworks? I would think it a shame to miss Wishes and Fantasmic.

You are right in not knowing what to expect. At home, our 3 kids are 3 squares + snacks every day and they tend to eat large meals. They are tiny, where they put it all I don't know!
I knew they would get cranky if they didn't eat enough, but getting them to actually do it was not easy! We ended up doing a lot of snacks with protein since they didn't eat much when we sat down to meals - except at Via Napoli! We split the mezzo metro and the kids wanted us to order another one :scared1:
Mine were 5-8 when we went. Our 5 yr old was the biggest challenge. Constantly hungry and crying but didn't want to eat meals. I'm sure I'll laugh about how horrible it was in a few years!

Hopefully yours will cooperate when food is set in front of her. Everyone will be so much happier::yes::

Tarheel girl 1975 said:
I would also skip Boatwrights. We ate there on our last trip and it was the only disappointing meal on our trip. I know you are staying at POR, but I would recommend taking the boat to DTD instead.

Point taken and thank you for the feedback. I want to try Raglan Road, so this works out.

Carriesouthard said:
Planning is part of the fun :-) Just try and coordinate your dining with your park of choice for that day. Cape May would be perfect on your Epcot day, Ohana is perfect for a MK day etc. It really does take time just to get from point a to point b and I would hate to see you guys losing time traveling all over for meals! I assume you will want some pool time at your resort, remember to leave time to enjoy that! We found it difficult to pull our girls out of the BC pool to get ready for dinner reservations on our last trip. This trip our dining ressies will be at 6 instead of 5! CRT was great for breakfast. What about an early morning reservation at either Crystal Palace or CRT, there is nothing like having Main Street all to yourselves before MK opens :-)

Some great points made. Since we plan to be at the park early, I will look into shuffling some of the ressies around to accomodate a breakfast in Magic Kingdom.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter