ADVICE please on our dining choices

ChristineOH said:
Looking at it now, I think you will be okay. The resort to resort travel is the trickiest, but if you are willing to grab a cab if time becomes an issue, I think you are fine. You will get varying strong opinions on the rental car, but I would rather grab an occasional cab than deal with a rental car.

We loved CRT. You can't beat eating in the castle! I have never eaten at any of the seafood restaurants, so I can't recommend any. If you eat at any of the monorail resorts, the monorail is fun for kids, but consider the boat too. We found it lovely to take the ferry from the Poly to MK. We will surely eat at Boatwright's too. It may not be the best meal we have, but since we are staying at POR, it will be convenient.

It IS very hard to plan, but fun and worth the effort.

Thank you again for your feedback. I will be considering a number of the options and feedback given in this thread. You ladies and gents have been so helpful.

DannyDisneyFreak said:
If you plan on going to AoA do you realize there is no bus from the resort there? You would have to transfer in DTD, that wouldn't be a problem from POR but maybe you already know, I just figured I'd point it out. Also on both your HS and MK day you are leaving after the 3:00 parades, does your little one not enjoy fireworks? I would think it a shame to miss Wishes and Fantasmic.

Thanks so much for the reminder. Yes, we are aware of the transfer. On our first MK day we will be returning to MK for Wishes. We hadn't plan to see Fantasmic. Boy is this planning hard. :/

I have been with kids of all ages from 6 weeks to 15 years so I understand going to WDW with kids. I would recommend getting (or bringing a stroller, yes even for a 4 year old) They get tired with all the walking and waiting (for rides, busses, monorails....) I would not go with the idea that you will see it all, or even most of the parks. Having a down day in the middle is a good idea, from personal experience it cuts down on "meltdowns" Have a great vacation.

For what its worth, we will have a stroller for both DD2 and DD4, and I won't be surprised if DS6 asks if he can ride too.

alex9179 said:
You are right in not knowing what to expect. At home, our 3 kids are 3 squares + snacks every day and they tend to eat large meals. They are tiny, where they put it all I don't know!
I knew they would get cranky if they didn't eat enough, but getting them to actually do it was not easy! We ended up doing a lot of snacks with protein since they didn't eat much when we sat down to meals - except at Via Napoli! We split the mezzo metro and the kids wanted us to order another one :scared1:
Mine were 5-8 when we went. Our 5 yr old was the biggest challenge. Constantly hungry and crying but didn't want to eat meals. I'm sure I'll laugh about how horrible it was in a few years!

Hopefully yours will cooperate when food is set in front of her. Everyone will be so much happier::yes::

This was hilarious. Know that I am laughing with you because I fear this. very thing. Sounds exactly like my daughter. What's a mom to do..eh.hmm plan? :) QS meals are looking more and more tempting.

6disneykids said:
I have been with kids of all ages from 6 weeks to 15 years so I understand going to WDW with kids. I would recommend getting (or bringing a stroller, yes even for a 4 year old) They get tired with all the walking and waiting (for rides, busses, monorails....) I would not go with the idea that you will see it all, or even most of the parks. Having a down day in the middle is a good idea, from personal experience it cuts down on "meltdowns" Have a great vacation.

For what its worth, we will have a stroller for both DD2 and DD4, and I won't be surprised if DS6 asks if he can ride too.

Thank you for this post. A stroller is high on our list of things to take with us to WDW. It is a must. This is the approach we took when planning this vacation. I agree with everything you have said here. If you can prevent the meltdowns, it keeps the family a tad bit happier. Because if DD ain't Disney happy, ain't noooooobody happy. Lol!

I know you said you all love to eat, but I generally would not recommend the DxDP to a first time family. Too much time to sit and eat! There is SO much to do there, and you are planning on fairly short days. I think you'll find that if your dd does well in the evenings, you will be doing more of them.

First, for a little princess, I recommend that your first day be in MK. I LOVE AK. But it just doesn't have the wide-eyed magic feel to it. So I'd switch Mon and Tue. (You don't say when you're going, so unless there is a major crowd reason to do it your way, I'd switch. You can probably re-arrange your dining, lol.)

Next, your AK day. I haven't done Tusker House, but instead of heading back to the resort, we have always enjoyed dinner at either Boma or Yak &Yeti, then going to play mini-golf at Winter-Summerland. Your dd is a great age for that. Saana is really good, if you like the flavorings, or if you play around and have extra dining credits, xxx supposed to be top notch. (I'm drawing a blank.)

Epcot looks great. Characters and Le Cellier. Boom. Best! Epcot is a great park for young'uns. Do they still do the kidcot stations in the countries?

Lunch at SciFi is fun. If your dd does ok with shows, try to catch fantasmic. It can be scary (or you can get wet up front), but at the end the princesses all come out. I think my dd tried to wave her arm off when they showed up!

Any day in MK with a little princess is a winner! Personally, you might switch out some of the non-character meals for character ones. Le Cellier is an absolute favorite of both my dd and I. (She went first time at 8 years.) The mashed potatoes are to die for (get them with the mushroom filet instead of the very salty risotto, lol.) However.... with a 4year old, I might sacrifice that dinner (or do a second Epcot day) and go to Askerhaus. Their salmon (if it's still on the menu at dinner) was my all time favorite entree in all of Disney.

Anyway, don't be surprised if your dd finds all kinds of energy to keep going, especially if she has a stroller to hang in on occasion! At that age, I was begging my dd to stop for some CS, as I was starving, but she wanted to go, go, go!

Towmater Blue said:
Thanks so much for the reminder. Yes, we are aware of the transfer. On our first MK day we will be returning to MK for Wishes. We hadn't plan to see Fantasmic. Boy is this planning hard. :/

Don't miss Fantasmic! IMO

Don't forget you can always take taxis to some of the resort restaurants. We did this a few times last week and it was super easy and much better than dealing with multiple buses.

We just got back from 9 days in the world and did the ddxp and it was too much food and too much time in the restaurants. I loved trying all the new restaurants and I loved the extra snack credits, especially when we wanted a drink. I don't think we will do it again because there were times it was tough to get to ADr's. Or leave the park, or not take a break when needed. I'd go with the regular plan and bring breakfast/snack foods.

I believe I previously posted this in the wrong thread. Please forgive me if thus is the case. I'm new and still learning the ropes.

Hello! A very excited spring traveling, Disney bound family here.:banana: My hubby, DD4 and I are heading to FL for our first family trip to WDW. Although we have a bit of a structured itinerary, I realize that we are traveling with a LO. She will ultimately dictate what we do and don’t do. I am okay with that and I have absolutely no problem with restructuring our day if she needs us to do so. I have been reading and soaking up as much knowledge as I can, but boy is it a lot. I was wondering if you would kindly review our tentative dining schedule and offer feedback. My family enjoys dining, so we chose the DxDP and POR will be our home away from home. We will not have a rental car. As we ge closer to the date this may change. Otherwise, we may take a cab to places that are more challenging to get to.

Here we go:

Sunday-Relax & Explore
Arrive in Orlando ~ Take ME to POR to check in. Go see AOA. DD loves Mater. Head to DTD. Dinner at WPGC.

Monday-AK
Brunch at Tusker House. Stay in park unyil 2 pm. Dinner at Flying Fish, The Wave, or Narcoosees at or around 5 pm. I really want to try Narcoosees for my DH. He loves seafood. I realize we have a little one. However, she is well behaved and even if she isn't, I would promptly leave to keep the peace.

For seafood, I would choose Flying Fish over Narcoossee's. We have eaten at Narcoossee's twice (2009 and 2011) and have never been "wowed". Adequate food and service but IMO, not a standout among the signature restaurants.

Tuesday-MK
Park opening and lunch at Crystal Palace . Take a break aroubd 2 pm. Dinner at Ohana around 5 pm. Back to MK for WNS.

A buffet lunch and 'Ohana dinner sounds like a lot of food! Crystal Palace has an AMAZING breakfast, I would definitely consider switching to a morning ADR at CP and a later (say, 6:30?) ADR at 'Ohana. Both CP breakfast and 'Ohana dinner are favourites of ours.

Wednesday-Free Day or Epcot
Today we’ll gauge how our little one is coping with all the stimulation from the parks and decide to either enjoy our resort for the day or head to Epcot. Tentatively, we have scheduled 10:30 breakfast at Cape May Cafe and 5 pm Le Cellier dinner.

Cape May is a well-liked character breakfast and the costumes are very cute. I can take or leave Le Cellier. Since it has changed over to a 2 credit restaurant, I would spend my 2 credits elsewhere (Artist Point, California Grill or the Yachtsman) or choose a one credit restaurant in the area. If you want to stay in Epcot, I would go with Via Napoli which seems to be almost universally loved.

Thursday-HS
Park opening and lunch at Sci-Fi. Leave after 3 pm parade. Dinner at Boatwright’s at 5 pm.

Your daughter will love Sci Fi! I have never eaten at Boatwright's.

Friday-MK
Park opening. Lunch at CRT. Leave after 3 pm parade.

Have also never done CRT but it gets mixed reviews. I can see why it could be a must do with a little one, though!

Saturday- L
Enjoy the resort and DTD. Departure at 7 pm

I look forward to hearing your feedback/advice. TIA!

My thoughts are in purple!

clutter said:
I know you said you all love to eat, but I generally would not recommend the DxDP to a first time family. Too much time to sit and eat! There is SO much to do there, and you are planning on fairly short days. I think you'll find that if your dd does well in the evenings, you will be doing more of them.

First, for a little princess, I recommend that your first day be in MK. I LOVE AK. But it just doesn't have the wide-eyed magic feel to it. So I'd switch Mon and Tue. (You don't say when you're going, so unless there is a major crowd reason to do it your way, I'd switch. You can probably re-arrange your dining, lol.)

Next, your AK day. I haven't done Tusker House, but instead of heading back to the resort, we have always enjoyed dinner at either Boma or Yak &Yeti, then going to play mini-golf at Winter-Summerland. Your dd is a great age for that. Saana is really good, if you like the flavorings, or if you play around and have extra dining credits, xxx supposed to be top notch. (I'm drawing a blank.)

Epcot looks great. Characters and Le Cellier. Boom. Best! Epcot is a great park for young'uns. Do they still do the kidcot stations in the countries?

Lunch at SciFi is fun. If your dd does ok with shows, try to catch fantasmic. It can be scary (or you can get wet up front), but at the end the princesses all come out. I think my dd tried to wave her arm off when they showed up!

Any day in MK with a little princess is a winner! Personally, you might switch out some of the non-character meals for character ones. Le Cellier is an absolute favorite of both my dd and I. (She went first time at 8 years.) The mashed potatoes are to die for (get them with the mushroom filet instead of the very salty risotto, lol.) However.... with a 4year old, I might sacrifice that dinner (or do a second Epcot day) and go to Askerhaus. Their salmon (if it's still on the menu at dinner) was my all time favorite entree in all of Disney.

Anyway, don't be surprised if your dd finds all kinds of energy to keep going, especially if she has a stroller to hang in on occasion! At that age, I was begging my dd to stop for some CS, as I was starving, but she wanted to go, go, go!

Thank you very much for all the great feedback. I am strongly considering sticking with the DDP and ditching the DxDP. She loves the dinner and a movie type places, so I'm excited about Sci-Fi. I must ban myself from the Food from Disney thread. Looking at all the pictures is making my planning more difficult. Lol!

Mom2Elliot said:
Don't forget you can always take taxis to some of the resort restaurants. We did this a few times last week and it was super easy and much better than dealing with multiple buses.

This is the plan. Can you tell me what to expect regarding taxis? How much is a typical taxi fare? Where is the pick up? ..main building?

Spunky946 said:
We just got back from 9 days in the world and did the ddxp and it was too much food and too much time in the restaurants. I loved trying all the new restaurants and I loved the extra snack credits, especially when we wanted a drink. I don't think we will do it again because there were times it was tough to get to ADr's. Or leave the park, or not take a break when needed. I'd go with the regular plan and bring breakfast/snack foods.

Yes, this is what I have gathered from all of the gracious feedback. Did you write a review of your trip? I would love to read it.

Mater and Lighting are also at DHS. It a photo opportunity spot and I think they even blink or talk or something, I can't remember. The ones at AoA are cool but maybe not worth the long bus ride/taxi!! I don't think anyone mentioned Coral Reef at Epcot for seafood! I love it. You are sitting facing a HUGE fish tank and eating dinner. I've even seen a Mickey Diver swim by!! Also Raglans is one of my favorites, get the bread pudding for dessert!!
Crystal Palace and O'Hanas are amazing but a ton of food each. Move them as far apart in the day if you can.

HAve fun!:banana:

jennabcassell said:
Mater and Lighting are also at DHS. It a photo opportunity spot and I think they even blink or talk or something, I can't remember. The ones at AoA are cool but maybe not worth the long bus ride/taxi!! I don't think anyone mentioned Coral Reef at Epcot for seafood! I love it. You are sitting facing a HUGE fish tank and eating dinner. I've even seen a Mickey Diver swim by!! Also Raglans is one of my favorites, get the bread pudding for dessert!!
Crystal Palace and O'Hanas are amazing but a ton of food each. Move them as far apart in the day if you can.

HAve fun!:banana:

Thanks for the Mater information and the RR bread pudding reminder. I have to try this place. I will definitely consider resheduling the Ohana and Crystal Palace meals.

Towmater Blue said:
I believe I previously posted this in the wrong thread. Please forgive me if thus is the case. I'm new and still learning the ropes.

Hello! A very excited spring traveling, Disney bound family here.:banana: My hubby, DD4 and I are heading to FL for our first family trip to WDW. Although we have a bit of a structured itinerary, I realize that we are traveling with a LO. She will ultimately dictate what we do and don’t do. I am okay with that and I have absolutely no problem with restructuring our day if she needs us to do so. I have been reading and soaking up as much knowledge as I can, but boy is it a lot. I was wondering if you would kindly review our tentative dining schedule and offer feedback. My family enjoys dining, so we chose the DxDP and POR will be our home away from home. We will not have a rental car. As we ge closer to the date this may change. Otherwise, we may take a cab to places that are more challenging to get to.

Here we go:

Sunday-Relax & Explore
Arrive in Orlando ~ Take ME to POR to check in. Go see AOA. DD loves Mater. Head to DTD. Dinner at WPGC.

Monday-AK
Brunch at Tusker House. Stay in park unyil 2 pm. Dinner at Flying Fish, The Wave, or Narcoosees at or around 5 pm. I really want to try Narcoosees for my DH. He loves seafood. I realize we have a little one. However, she is well behaved and even if she isn't, I would promptly leave to keep the peace.

Tuesday-MK
Park opening and lunch at Crystal Palace . Take a break around 2 pm. Dinner at Ohana around 5 pm. Back to MK for WNS.

Wednesday-Free Day or Epcot
Today we’ll gauge how our little one is coping with all the stimulation from the parks and decide to either enjoy our resort for the day or head to Epcot. Tentatively, we have scheduled 10:30 breakfast at Cape May Cafe and 5 pm Le Cellier dinner.

Thursday-HS
Park opening and lunch at Sci-Fi. Leave after 3 pm parade. Dinner at Boatwright’s at 5 pm.

Friday-MK
Park opening. Lunch at CRT. Leave after 3 pm parade.

Saturday- L
Enjoy the resort and DTD. Departure at 7 pm

I look forward to hearing your feedback/advice. TIA!

Removed ADRs for Flying Fish, LeCellier, Boatwrights and Crystal Palace. Added lunch at Earl of a Sandwich or Raglan Road on departure date.

So what do you think about the revised dining plan? Feedback greatly appreciated.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter