Advice--forget about YOMD-no disappointment

Wow! JFlo, my husband's still "stuck" in retail management. That's why we take Jan. trips--just to reconnect after the grueling Christmas season. I hope you have a wonderful vacation. I didn't mean to compain. I feel very lucky to have been in Disney in the winter instead of work/school. After watching the Christmas parade on tv, our kids all decided we were going to win a trip. My husband and I assured them that there was NO WAY we would win a big prize--probably not even a small prize. We tried to forget, but it was a little hard when we saw so many people with the hats/fast passes--and lots of just misses. The dream team awarded prizes to people on the very next train to Rafiki's planet watch, etc. A friend of mine is taking her family to Disney for the first time next month. It sure would be nice for them to win a dream.:wizard:

Oh, please don't think that I was accusing you or anyone of complaining. My story was just something that I wanted to share in agreement with you that you shouldn't expect anything, but instead just be happy to be together at WDW! In light of the many wishes people have expressed on these boards, I think you have offered good advice to people, and I totally understand where you are coming from, because who wouldn't want to win one of those awesome prizes?! This is just me at my absolute most positive, and my thoughts were truly realized this morning when my DD told us about her dream.

As the wife of a retail manager I especially sympathize with you. Christmastime always makes me craziest, not being able to spend as much time as you would like with your family. We have always taken our vacation within the first three months of the New Year. This of course will not change when my husband enters the food industry, BUT at least he will be happier. Both my husband and I know that we are extremely lucky and blessed to be financially and logistically capable to make this life change, (We could never be doing this without the help of our family) and I hope that you did not take offense to my "stuck in retail management" comment. I have tremendous respect for the people in these positions, because they are some of the hardest workers you will ever encounter, in truly thankless jobs. They see people come and go and trudge through each day making money for somebody they probably will never know. I sincerely hope I did not make you feel bad.

And ppiew: Thank you so much for your good wishes. It makes me more excited than ever!

JFlo, I didn't take offense at all. I think my husband does feel "stuck" in retail management sometimes. After 20 years, I think he'd like to break free and start a new career. Only problem is we have three kids, and I work in education=not a great salary. Good luck to your husband in his/your new life, and have a great vacation.:) We just got our pictures back and can't believe our good fortune with the weather--blue sky and sun. Everything's gray here.pixiedust: to you.

We had a seven day trip in December, extended family and some friends for a total of 11 people.
Our friends, family of three, won several small dreams, but they didn't even know the YOAMD was going on. They just thought, wow Disney sure is nice, they give you stuff. Their daughter got to drive a Jungle Cruise boat and got a certificate, their daughter was awarded the Tink pins and they were given freebie drinks and snacks several times.
The hardest one for me is that a CM gave their daughter three pins for being polite and saying Thank You, my daughter had just said and done the same to the same CM and nothing. (We had been in line to pay for snacks at our resort) It was very confusing for DD and honestly for me too. Just totally random I guess.

My family, the other nine of us didn't win anything. So it was kind of bittersweet for us to see these fun things happening to them.

But I remind myself that we are DVC members, which is a real blessing.

I won the Mickey Ears and Lanyard through the mail. I was thinking of taking them along on my trip and giving them to some children. But then I remember reading, it is confusing for guests to give other guest the prizes, so I thought I would give it to a mom and let her give it to her children.

We are leaving in 10 days and my family really does not know of YOMD prizes. I think it will be better that way. I also think my family and I know I will be excited just to see prizes awarded. We always seem to be awarded with some cm special magic each trip that I do not think it will be disappointing to us if we don't win something. We are just excited to be going.

Honestly? I never win anything, so believe me, I won't be expecting anything for YOMD for our May trip...and really I am SO happy to be at Disney, I can't see being disappointed either....BUT I am a little worried about my nieces 9 and 6. I wasn't planning on telling them a thing about YOMD, but they have seen the commercials and things and I know my younger niece is very excited to win something. Her mom and I have told her NOT to be excited because she probably won't win, but you know, she's SIX and it's Disney and it's magic and it's her favorite place in the world and she's a kid, so of course she thinks she's going to win, no matter what we say or how we try to prepare her. I really hope we don't run into as many Dream Squads as some have said on this thread, I know the girls will be really disappointed if we see them all over and they don't get anything. I mean, really, they know how lucky they are to go to Disney, but still.........

It's sort of random and sort of not. An example:the 656th person to exit Soarin' or the group with the 534th person entering BTMR.Or at 3:54 whoever is wherever.There's no way anyone can plan a scenario because the awarding of the prizes is too random. You can talk to the CMs and even if you're at the right place, if you're not the right number you won't win. This was posted on the DIS by a woman who's husband is on the prize patrol.
We were awarded Dream fastpasses after Maelstrom and I have to say that I had completely forgotten about the whole YOMD and was totally and very pleasantly surprised.

Overall, I guess it would have been better if I didn't know the promotion was going on. I wonder if there is someplace we can voice our disappointment with the promotion to WDW.
Well, while you probably could just use any of the normal WDW contact information, keep in mind the sweepstakes is administered by an entirely independent company. Yes, I realize CMs actually hand out the prizes, but what and when and where is NOT determined by Disney in any way.

Also, if Guests actually look from a different perspective - instead of noticing the number of Guests wearing Dream Ears or Dream FastPasses, try noting all the Guests WITHOUT these items. It's hard to "see" what's not there, but given the number of prizes available, spread out over fifteen months, and six parks plus Downtown Disney, plus the mail-in entries, and well, I used to have the actual number of YOAMD prizes available but really it works out to about 300 prizes per park per day.

I am just curious - don't people know this is a random drawing? Why do they think they can win something? It's like buying a lottery ticket and getting upset not winning. You should go in knowing you will not win. And if you do, it's a bonus.

You took the words right out of my mouth! I have been fuming about the sense of 'entitlement' so many people have plus the sad stories that their 'kids won't receive anything'. I think the YOMD is a wonderful promotion of large and small things. The promotion really addresses the clientele that Disney receives - everyone of all ages and classes.
Another thing I noticed on a recent trip to WDW is that so many CM's get into it too - they go out of their way to just do small things to make people feel special. It is no different than the lottery, putting your name into a hat, or any type of 'prize.' When a store has a promotion and you put you name in a jar and someone else wins - so what!!
I am so happy when the winners post their stories here and I can read about how pleased they were with whatever 'extra' Disney offered. I am so thrilled to read about their stories. I am sure that if too many complaints occur these people will be reluctant to share there good will with us!
I say congratulations to all winners of this promotion!

Wouldn't bother me to not get a YoaMD gift.

And if I saw someone else get one, I'd be happy as heck for them.

I know some families struggle to even afford a trip of a few days at Disney whereas I'm in a position to where I could go 3-4 times per year if I wanted to (or maybe more).

So, for me, just being in the parks and experience the magic that is Disney is enough for me. I know most of the good tips as far as touring the parks, using Fastpasses, best spots for parades/fireworks, etc. so anything above and beyond all that would be pure gravy and, heck, I'd be tempted to give it to some other family there (esp. if it was a Dream FP...I'd probably keep a Disney pin or even the night in Cinderella's Castle! :) )

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter