Adventures by Disney London/Paris trip

Both of the tour guides on the Viva Italia trip were Italian and spoke English and Italian equally well.

At each stop on your tour, you meet a "city guide" or "step on guide" who is an expert in local history and lore. We had a guide in Rome, Siena, Florence and Venice and each was Italian and from the area we were visiting.

Each adventurer was give a small radio device on a lanyard to wear around your neck with a disposable tube and a small plastic ear piece used to hear the local guides.

The additional information provided by these guides was INVALUABLE. We told ours that we were looking to buy gold jewelry in Florence and we got incredible deals. After we got our total price, we told the jeweler we were with the Disney tour and they took an additional 20% off.

Kevin

Re: London/Paris guides. Guides were American and of course spoke English. We had professional local guides in both London and Paris who were fluent in local languages. No problem understanding at all. Both were top shelf professionals!!!

ppiew - Just discovered your report today. So glad you had a great time!! I told you you'd love it! Did you have Steve as your London Blue Badge guide? He was so terrific on our trip! Where did you go during your free time in each city?

I'm sorry to hear that Montmarte was so crowded. It was much better when I was there and it was a highlight of the trip for me. I've been trying to find a crepe as good as the one I had there ever since! I took a look at the itinerary for the 2007 trips and it looks like Montmarte is no longer a part of the official tour. They also appear to have dropped the canal boat, which is a shame. We didn't have time to shop at Camden Market on our trip, though, as we were running a bit behind for the Eurostar train and had to hop onto the bus to head to the station.

For those concerned about tipping for the Adventure Guides, I think the brochure gave a general guideline of $5-7 per day for each guide. I had called AbD to ask which currency would be best, but they wouldn't tell me and just kept saying "It's totally up to you, if you want to tip or not." I think they weren't getting the point. In the end, I tipped in Euros, because it gave the best exchange rate to whichever currency the guides wanted to use. Plus, one of our guides was from France (she's moved on to a new position with Disney) and the other was from the U.S., living in London, so I figured Euros were pretty neutral for both of them.

I just can't say enough how much I enjoyed the London/Paris trip! I'm so glad to hear that you loved it, too, ppiew! Next year, I'm off on the AbD trip to Italy (La Costa Bella - Rome & the Amalfi Coast) with two girls I met and became friends with on the last trip! Can't wait!!

Is there any baggage limitation with these tours and did you have any difficulty with the limitations?

to fmw: no limitations on baggage given, but I would assume it would be similar to airline limitations. we overpacked in the good ole American way but no problems.

to MAGIX: I know the trip would't have been as enjoyable without the wonderful help you gave me. I thank you so much!
Yes ,Steve was our London guide and he was wonderful! Really knowledgeable and kept things moving.

For our free time in London we went to Covent Gardens, shopped at Harrods, and headed to the War Rooms. WOW! Scarey that the fate of the world eminated from there!!
Although it rained while at Camden, we had a great time! The shops were like middle eastern souks!! We went in and out of many of them - super fun!!

While in Paris, we checked out the Opera House and then went to Ile St Louis and had an absolutely FABULOUS lunch and shopped there for a brief time. It is too bad that the Eiffel Tower next year is lunch instead of dinner. The lights on the tower and the incredible view of Paris at night were so very special. They did not have the canal boat ride when we went either, but some did it anyway and the guides reimbursed them the cost. These tours ARE quite hectic, and it is difficult to get everything jammed into each day that they would like to be able to do. I am sure parking for the bus is difficult also. I would imagine that would account for somethings being eliminated.

I have been to Italy and to the Amalfi coast twice, (be sure to spend as much time as possible in Sorrento - great place) but we are looking at the Austrian trip or the American Southwest for next year. I am sure after one of the ABD tours, MANY of their guests will be repeat visitors. The only thing that DID concern me was that one of the ABD people asked me if we would consider the trip if the hotels were downgraded - and I said NO - it was the reliable first class treatment that enticed me in the first place and if I wanted a tour of lesser quality there are a million to chose from! Guess they didn't expect such a blunt answer! I know people gasp at the cost, but I can only say that it was done 'right' and worth every dime, but that is exactly what I expect from a Disney sponsored tour.
There is one tour to Italy next year that has practically the entire group from this year signing up for another tour together!

Keep in touch!!

Sounds like you did some great things on your free time. I spent mine in Greenwich at the Maritime Museum, the Cutty Sark and a quick visit to the Royal Observatory (and the Prime Meridian). I loved London so much, I can't wait to go back sometime and see more of England!!

I agree that it's surprising that the Eiffel Tower was changed to lunch. It was so magical to be there at sunset and see all the lights of the city and the tower. I've got some killer great photos from that evening!

The majority of our stay in Italy will be in Sorrento, so we'll do our best to see as much of the city as we can. I can't tell you how much I'm looking forward to taking a dip in the Mediterranean sea!! Something I never thought I'd have the chance to do in my lifetime!

I agree that if the hotels were not first class, the trips would lose much of their luster. It's the fact that you're traveling in absolute style, with Disney touches all along the way, that makes AbD so undeniably fantastic.

I'm so glad we all have this new forum to share our stories. This has been such exciting reading!!!

I am so glad to see this sight! I have so many questions that are probably really silly to all the veteran oversee travelers.
I am so nervous about traveling oversees because I cant speak any language but English. Does the tour guide speak English? I also read where you saw Mary Poppins..Could you be able to follow along even if you dont know the language. I guess you seemy biggest fear here... :teacher:

No language problems whatsoever! Tour guides for the group all week were American and professional guides in England spoke English and in Paris were bi-lingual. Absolutely no problem whatsoever in understanding anything. In France at the tourist spots ie. Louvre, Versailles etc. we were given English speaking headphones to hear the narration about the site.
Mary Poppins was in London so naturally it was all in English. Seats were orchestra seats with visit with stage manager after performance.

briarroseALS said:
I am so glad to see this sight! I have so many questions that are probably really silly to all the veteran oversee travelers.
I am so nervous about traveling oversees because I cant speak any language but English. Does the tour guide speak English? I also read where you saw Mary Poppins..Could you be able to follow along even if you dont know the language. I guess you seemy biggest fear here... :teacher:

You'll get by fine with just English. The only time you might need to know any French is if you wander off on your own during free time. For that, I recommend "In Flight French," a 60 minute CD you can buy at major bookstores. It will give you some very handy traveler's phrases that will get you through most situations. I found that gesturing to get your point across also worked in places where I didn't have the right words (such as the Metro, when I didn't quite understand how the ticket gate worked). Most everyone speaks English to some degree, though, so you'll be okay. Still, it's good to try to learn a little before going, just because making the attempt shows that you have enough respect for the French to give it a shot - they'll be much friendlier and helpful to you if you do that.

ppiew said:
... While in Paris, we checked out the Opera House and ...

Are you talking about the Opera House Garnier? My daughter definitely wants to visit there, as she is a huge Phantom fan and supposedly the Opera House Garnier was the inspiration... :confused3 Any way ... Do you know if they have tours of the Opera House? Thanks.

Last November, we saw an opera at the Opera Garnier. Yes, it is the inspiration for Phantom of the Opera, as it has an underwater lake.

The opera house is open to the public during the day (admission fee), and they offer guided tours (most are in french, but tours in english are available).

Woody

Took the 'English' tour - it was fabulous. The Opera House Garnier is so so beautiful! It was also much smaller than I expected from the outside - but beyond gorgeous inside - think lots and lots of velvet, gold baroque etc. Excellent tour!

Hi - just joining in :) I've been wondering when they would finally get an ABD forum. We are fans :cheer2: We had such a great time on our Hawaii trip this summer that we will now be on the June 8 London/Paris. We are also doing the Med cruise after. Even though Hawaii is not available this year :confused3 the trip was so smooth - effortless - that the "feel" of an ABD trip is what will make us repeat customers for a long time I'm sure. We will have an 8 and 10 year old with us this year - they are excited. Has anyone heard if Trevor or Tina are going to be guides on any other trips? They were great in Hawaii.

MJGirl said:
The main question she has is ...Did you get to see box 5?
Ha ha! I am writing from Las Vegas, where tonight we saw the Phantom of the Opera at the Venetian hotel. (Incredible staging and special effects!)

At this production, they designed the theatre to resemble the Opera Garnier. Of course, box 5 had it's usual occupant.

Woody

I have to ask one more question, ppiew... what dessert did you choose at La Duree the final night? :cake: I had the round, green one with the cherry on top. Couldn't resist the color of it. I thought perhaps it would be a pistachio flavored something. When I took my first bite, I discovered it was a 2 layered item with a cherry layer and an almond layer with a band of white chocolate wrapped around it. Every bite was like the purest form of heaven!! :lovestruc

Did you read that Sophia Coppola based the color palette for "Marie Antoinette" on the pastel colors of the macaroons at La Duree? :thumbsup2

Ok now I will go and see the movie even though the critics panned it!

As far as the desserts, I suppose I have to fes up here - we had a standing agreement - EVERYONE GETS SOMETHING DIFFERENT AND THEN WE SHARE!!! I think that plan expanded all around the table and everyone was doing the same thing! Needless to say I cannot even remember them all. I do remember the green one though, and I too thought it was pistachio and the chocolate surprise was incredible!

I did stash the macaroons away and devoured them later that nite and again at breakfast! Figured I couldn't carry them on the plane anyway!

They treated all of us like celebrities and could not have been nicer or more pleasant! What a bonus with the good food too!

ppiew said:
I did stash the macaroons away and devoured them later that nite and again at breakfast! Figured I couldn't carry them on the plane anyway!

Why not? I brought mine to DLRP, then home on the plane, and ate them a couple days later. They told us they'd be good for 4 or 5 days and they were right! I offered one to my Dad, but he was foolish and refused it, so I ate them all! Yay! :p

Magix said:
. . . Did you read that Sophia Coppola based the color palette for "Marie Antoinette" on the pastel colors of the macaroons at La Duree?
Quite interesting.

Our favorite is macaron au chocolat. We visit Paris twice a year.

Woody

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter