ADRs? We Don't Need No Stinking ADRs - A Sept '14 Dining Report - THAT'S A WRAP 3/5

I'm all caught up! And I've left a puddle of drool on my keyboard.
Oh. My. Gosh. You have some amazing food pictures on here.
And a great sense of humor ;)
CL looks amazing. I hope to experience it one day. My DH would be all about the free beer and I would be all about the free food. Actually, he would be thrilled with the food too.
And I am desperate to do F+W one year!

Love your food and wine update! My fiance didn't like the crispy pork belly, but I agree I thought it was great.. especially the black beans!

I'm just getting caught up here. Love your review so far! You have some amazing photos, also. The WL CL really does look like it offers a wider variety of "food" than some of the others I've seen, rather than the more typical snacks. We stayed at AKL CL and although it was good, the dinnertime selections seemed more appetizer-y.
Happy 40th birthday! It looks like an incredible trip so far! Can't wait to read the rest.

Just read through this entire review. You went to a lot of the places we intend to try this August, so this has been really helpful. I think I'm definitely going to book San Angel now. I love that Avocado margarita too, so if I can get that at the table, this is nothing but a plus for that restaurant.

Oh, the Gruner wine! I love that also. One of my favs.

And now I will never ever be able to go to Epcot again without thinking of it as Ep-A-cot and singing "I"ve got big balls and I cannot lie..." in my head! :)

I'm all caught up! And I've left a puddle of drool on my keyboard.
Oh. My. Gosh. You have some amazing food pictures on here.
And a great sense of humor ;)
CL looks amazing. I hope to experience it one day. My DH would be all about the free beer and I would be all about the free food. Actually, he would be thrilled with the food too.
And I am desperate to do F+W one year!
Thank you. CL was a great experience, even if it is just once. Hope your computer is ok ; )

Love your food and wine update! My fiance didn't like the crispy pork belly, but I agree I thought it was great.. especially the black beans!
Thanks! I clearly liked the pork too, but crispy would have been nice.

Yummy food and wine updates!!
Thanks!

I'm just getting caught up here. Love your review so far! You have some amazing photos, also. The WL CL really does look like it offers a wider variety of "food" than some of the others I've seen, rather than the more typical snacks. We stayed at AKL CL and although it was good, the dinnertime selections seemed more appetizer-y.
Happy 40th birthday! It looks like an incredible trip so far! Can't wait to read the rest.
Thanks for the compliments and birthday wishes. Never done any other CL, but I thought the offerings were plentiful and really good. WL definitely hooked us.

Just read through this entire review. You went to a lot of the places we intend to try this August, so this has been really helpful. I think I'm definitely going to book San Angel now. I love that Avocado margarita too, so if I can get that at the table, this is nothing but a plus for that restaurant.

Oh, the Gruner wine! I love that also. One of my favs.

And now I will never ever be able to go to Epcot again without thinking of it as Ep-A-cot and singing "I"ve got big balls and I cannot lie..." in my head! :)
Glad you've enjoyed. Word of caution, the avocado margarita isn't on the menu but you can order it no problem.

Glad to se there is another Gruner girl in the dis mist. It's so good, not sure why it isn't more mainstream.

We're goin' back to Cali, to Cali, to Cali, we're goin' back to Cali. Yep I think so.

So while Casey slept off all that food and wine, I did my usual trolling for dinner reservations and was shocked to see an opening to California Grill. Last time we'd been to Cali Grill, I was pregnant with Casey - so it had been a while. We had no expectations of being able to eat here, so it was a huge coup in our disney food minds. So off we went, but not without issues.

After not being able to fit on the first MK bus that came by since it was filled with peeps headed to the Swan and Dolphin (have I mentioned that the fact that the deluxe resorts share buses is complete crap), we waited almost 30 minutes (and 4 DTD buses) before one came. We finally got on the road, only to have the bus get stuck at the gate of the Boardwalk. It was another 10 minutes before they could get it fixed and after a stop to pick up absolutely no one at Swan & Dolphin we finally made it to MK at the same time as our ressie. We walked as fast as we could toward the Contemporary and arrived only 10 minutes late.

One seated we were greeted by our server Gary - who was a grandfather and was absolutely wonderful with Casey (and of course us). He brought us some bread while we explored our menu options.

The bread was a very light foccacia, which was served with some really good salted butter. I'm a sucker for really good butter, so this hit the spot. Casey skipped the bread and proceeded to dunk her finger right into the butter, which is her idea of heaven. Have a look...

We decided to start with the charcouterie plate, because it came with a housemade pate (which we both love) and elected to share a bottle of Gundlach Bundschu Cabernet. The later is a winery we went to in Sonoma 2012, so we were happy to be able to relive some of that trip. The wine was great (sorry no pics), but the charcuterie never arrived - more to come on that later.

For our entree's we were both in the mood for some red meat, so Jason ordered the Bison Tenderloin with Herb and Olive Oil Potatoes, Candied Rhubarb, Vidalia Onions, Madeira Fig Demi-glace.

The bison is cooked sous vide, so it was not only perfectly medium rare but fork tender. The meat itself is obviously very similar to beef, but i find it a tad sweeter and not as heavy. The figs and demi-glace paired perfectly with the bison and added to the sweetness of the meat. The rhubarb was good, but didn't appear candied in any way and the portion size seemed excessive compared to the rest of the meal. All in all he liked it, but probably not enough to get it again.

Casey and I decided to try the Oak-fired Filet of Beef, which came with Heirloom Tomato Risotto, Baby Vine Tomatoes, Tiny Basil, and Tomato Butter. The filet looked wonderful

But, I'd ordered it medium rare and unfortunately when it came out it was decidedly at least medium or medium well (meaning it was still pink, but no red)

I'm not one to usually complain about my food, but if I'm gonna pay $50 for a steak - you're going to cook it right. Gary was quick to take it back to the kitchen and soon I was presented with this. Much better!

This one was perfectly cooked and tender. The risotto was a nice accompaniment and the tomato flavor lighted up what can often be a heavy dish. I really liked the steak, but at $50 for the plate I'll likely pick something else I can't make for myself at home next time.

About this time, Gary remembered he'd forgotten our charcuterie plate, so to make up for it (though we were not charged) he brought us each a glass of 20 year old tawny port.

I don't know what kind of port this was, but it was smooth and almost had a brandy like taste. It went perfectly with our desert selection

Warm Homemade Fritters which are Banana-stuffed, Cinnamon-dusted Fritters complemented with a Trio of Dipping Sauces (Chocolate, Peanut Butter, and Caramel). OMG these were awesome. They essentially tasted like hot, fried banana bread and when dipped in the caramel were pure perfection. The chocolate sauce was nothing special (think Hershey's syrup) but Jason said the peanut butter was a great accompaniment (i've got an allergy).

While we settled up the bill (forgot to write down the TiW savings after all the wine and port, but it was at least $25) Casey looked longingly into her beloved MK, which was closed for the night due to a Halloween party.

She was so close, yet so far away

It was raining when we left so after a very wet walk back to the MK buses, we elected to hang out in the room for the rest of the evening. We were pleasantly surprised though when we could not only hear, but see the frozen fireworks from our balcony. S-C-O-R-E!!!!

Up next, a great day at AK and a not so great night in MK.

We, too, ordered the charcuterie platter but we were lucky enough to have received it. Oh my goodness ... the rillettes is my baby daddy (and honestly, the pate was some of my least favorite pate ... it was a bit TOO airy, if that makes sense?) Unfortunately, they had NO tawny ports so we went with something a bit similar but not quite as yummy. Of course, that offering is on no list that I can find online.

My bison had different accompaniments (Benziger Olive Oil Potatoes, Baby Brussels Sprouts, Cherrywood Bacon, Dried Cherry Demi-glace. Excellent and perfectly prepared. Yum!

We, too, had the fritters. Dipping the fritter in both the chocolate and peanut butter was extra decadent.

Thank you for sharing your beautiful pictures!

I love your report! You do an excellent job describing everything...and your daughter is adorable!

We, too, ordered the charcuterie platter but we were lucky enough to have received it. Oh my goodness ... the rillettes is my baby daddy (and honestly, the pate was some of my least favorite pate ... it was a bit TOO airy, if that makes sense?) Unfortunately, they had NO tawny ports so we went with something a bit similar but not quite as yummy. Of course, that offering is on no list that I can find online.

My bison had different accompaniments (Benziger Olive Oil Potatoes, Baby Brussels Sprouts, Cherrywood Bacon, Dried Cherry Demi-glace. Excellent and perfectly prepared. Yum!

We, too, had the fritters. Dipping the fritter in both the chocolate and peanut butter was extra decadent.

Thank you for sharing your beautiful pictures!

Hey, looks like you're my food twin ; ) We r hoping to get into Cali Grill again next trip skin we can actually try the charcuterie. I forgot it had the rillettes too. Yum

Your bison sounds better that the one J had. The rhubarb was a bit too much and we worship at the alter of Brussels sprouts.

I love your report! You do an excellent job describing everything...and your daughter is adorable!

Thank you on both accounts. Casey is all her Daddy sans my brown eyes and attitude ; )

I want some of those warm homemade fritters right now!!!

You and me both!

I love this review! You need to finish it up so you can start your next one!

Thank you and thanks for the push. Hope to finish up this week so I can start the new one fresh. Still can't believe we will be there in 2 weeks. And congrats on your first trip. May it be the first of many

Thank you and thanks for the push. Hope to finish up this week so I can start the new one fresh. Still can't believe we will be there in 2 weeks. And congrats on your first trip. May it be the first of many

Thank you! I'm so excited and I really do hope that DH gets infected by the magic so we can go often. I think I'd be happy to go back multiple times a year, if I could. No way will one trip be enough Disney for me. The deal when we decided to go now was that we'd for sure go back in about 5 years when the boys were older, so we could have a trip when they were tiny and it was magical and one when they could remember it. I'm hoping for more than that though.

Catching back up. Yay on scoring the CG ressie. It was my favorite Signature but service has been an issue my last 3 trips. I'm hoping its improved this fall.

Jill in CO

Absolutely loving your trip report. You have a true gift for writing - you should start a blog! Had to laugh at your first photo of the dog destruction. Our 100 lb blue tick always seeks vengeance when she sees our suitcases out and its anyone's guess what the casualties will be.

Can't wait to read more!

Thank you! I'm so excited and I really do hope that DH gets infected by the magic so we can go often. I think I'd be happy to go back multiple times a year, if I could. No way will one trip be enough Disney for me. The deal when we decided to go now was that we'd for sure go back in about 5 years when the boys were older, so we could have a trip when they were tiny and it was magical and one when they could remember it. I'm hoping for more than that though.

Got my fingers crossed for ya. I completely lucked out that my hubby was already a lover, but I'm with you there is never enough disney. He on the other hand thinks 2 trips a year is more than sufficient, which it probably is were I not completely insane ; )

Catching back up. Yay on scoring the CG ressie. It was my favorite Signature but service has been an issue my last 3 trips. I'm hoping its improved this fall.

Jill in CO

Hope you have a great visit to CG. We lucked out in the service department, issues with the dinner aside I'll take free drinks any ole time.

Absolutely loving your trip report. You have a true gift for writing - you should start a blog! Had to laugh at your first photo of the dog destruction. Our 100 lb blue tick always seeks vengeance when she sees our suitcases out and its anyone's guess what the casualties will be.

Can't wait to read more!

Thank you very much. I have to write all the time for work and it is never fun like this, so I relish the opportunity. Isn't amazing when dogs just know you are leaving. I'm hoping to stay ahead of the beasts this time, but we'll see how that goes.

Great report
Thank you!

We woke on our last full day to rain. Yuck!! This was not what I'd ordered up, but we had to make the most of it.

Today was a full animal kingdom day. We'd spent an evening there earlier in the week, but still had a few things we wanted to get to. After a long wait for the bus (in which Casey kept asking if she could smell it when it got there, guess she needed to take in the last bit of vacation) we finally made it to the AK about an hour after opening.

First stop was of course the safari, but the animals were smarter than us and stayed out of the rain so we didn't see too much. Casey was about the most entertaining part of the ride...

From there we grabbed some much needed coffee at Kusafari before heading off to Rafiki's Planet Watch (side note you can take drink on the train, which was good, would have been great had it been a real "drink). We bumped into Chip N Dale as soon as we arrived and were happy to see them doing the Hokie Pokie, which holds a special place in our hearts as its our college's unofficial theme song. Casey joined right in and later posed for one of my fav pics of the trip.

She also spent F-O-R-E-V-E-R brushing the goats before we could pull her away.

#GoatLove

After that it was time for some Festival of the Lion King, which we'd missed the last few trips. The show was amazing as always, but I thought the new theater felt smaller than the old one. And starving after nothing but coffee so far today, we headed to our favorite quick service in AK - Flame Tree BBQ to enjoy some good smoked meat while basking in the shadows of the broken roller coaster (aka what Casey calls Expedition Everest)

Jason ordered the Smoked Chicken Salad - which is described as Freshly-smoked Chicken, Mixed Greens, Arugula, shredded Carrots, Pinto and Garbanzo Beans, Tortilla Chips and Corn, tossed in a house-made Balsamic Vinaigrette and drizzled with Chipolte Ranch dressing.

This was the first disappointment we've ever had at flame tree. The mixed greens/arugula was really about 90% iceberg lettuce, which both of us despise. And while the chicken had good flavor, there wasn't much dressing so the whole thing was dry. He ended up adding some bbq sauce to liven it up a bit.

Casey and I split the 1/2 Chicken, which came with baked beans and cole slaw.

The chicken was moist and flavorful, but the skin wasn't crispy which was a bit of a disappointment. The beans were great, but had some heat to them so that meant none for Casey. She instead ate all the cole slaw, which when asked how it was said - it's like cole slaw.

I'll presume it was good from this picture.

We also got some onion rings for all of us to share, which were hot and crispy and the highlight of the meal.

Note they also take TiW, which can save you a few buckaroos.

After that we let her run her little bum off in the rascal park "aka The Boneyard" for the better part of an hour before heading back to the hotel for a nap. While she did that I explored the available dining options for our "last supper" which included availability at Flying Fish, Artist Point, Le Cellier to name a few. We discussed our options while we waited for Casey to wake-up and we waited, and waited, and waited, and waited, and yes ladies and gentleman we waited some more. Clearly the exhaustion of the week had caught up with her and that kid slept for almost 4 hours. By the time she woke up the food options that once existed had long since passed so we decided to spend the last little bit of time at MK.

We were famished once we got there and headed for Sleepy Hollow to grab some of their delicious waffle sandwiches. Keeping our bad dining streak going, they of course had stopped serving sandwiches at 5 so instead we grabbed some popcorn and a churo for "dinner." #GoodParenting

MK was packed, but we let Casey pick up her last few rides of the trip which in no surprise to us were small world, dumbo, and 4 consecutive trips on the Goofy Roller Coster (aka the Barnstormer). By this time it was getting late and we tried to make our escape via the train, but with wishes pending it had been halted for the evening. Instead we took a deep breath and feared the worst for a trip down main street, but were pleasantly surprised when they had an exit behind main street open. I'd never seen this before and it was interesting to see "back stage" Disney.

We watched Wishes while we waited for the bus and then took our sad last ride back to the hotel.

But wait, there's more. Up next we sneak one last good meal in, but did so knowing it could never be repeated....

No! It can't be the last night yet! I have a love/hate relationship with Flame Tree. I'm a BBQ snob and it just doesn't measure up but its a great alternative from other park food. Love that they take TIW!

Why does Sleepy Hollow stop serving the sandwiches so early?!?! That's crazy!

Jill in CO

We haven't been to the Cali Grill in 5 years. I really would love to return one day! I am glad you sent your steak back, why pay for something you won't enjoy. Too bad your salad was a flop at FT. I always get the pork sandwich there. The chicken looks delicious:)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter