ADHD

khwags22

Earning My Ears
My son has ADHD, does anyone have any experience with how Disney handles this? What documentation is required? Thanks all.

What assistance are you hoping to get for him? What are his needs?

Disney offers the Disability Assistance Service (DAS) for those who qualify. No documentation required, but it is need-based and not diagnosis-based; not everyone with the same diagnosis has the same needs. You will have to explain his needs as related to waiting in a standard queue environment.

The first post of this thread explains DAS; you can ignore the rest of the discussion from a few years ago.

Enjoy your vacation!

Disney expects the parents and adults to 'handle' any issues. the only accommodation is IF he cannot wait in the regular lines he MIGHT qualify for a DAS. no documentation is needed nor will be looked at. you just to explain why he cannot wait in the standard lines. just not wanting to wait is not good enough.. all kids don't want to wait( not do any of the adults)

My son also has ADHD. We used DAS on our last trip down and will use it again on our upcoming trip.

You do not need any documentation, diagnosis, or discussion of specifics of medical need with a CM. They are going to ask you general information about what his needs are, basically to ensure you aren't requesting DAS for a mobility-related issue (trouble standing/walking, issues waiting in lines due to physical fatigue/physical limitations).

If DAS is granted, what it does is allow you to set up a "return time" for one ride at a time. A DAS return time is set up at the FAstpass line - the CM will scan your bands to verify DAS, then give you a time to come back to the ride that is whatever the current standby line wait time is (minus 5-10 minutes or so). You "wait" for the ride the same amount of time as those people who stand in line, but it allows your ADHD kiddo to wait in a way that keeps it pleasant for them and you and other guests :) we used the wait time to get snacks, walk around, let him expend energy. You can only have one DAS return time set up at a time, so definitely still book all of your fastpasses too.

What are you asking?
Disney doesn't require any kind of documentation for someone that has a disability.
If you're looking to get a DAS you just have to go to guest relations and express why its difficult for your child to stand in a regular line.

The cm will ask you what are your need for the line ( or something very close to this. You will need to tell the CM your (you sons) need as it Has to do with standing in line. There are things you can do like for a child that tends to touch anything and every thing around them something for them to hold and do with their hands like the fidget cubes or letting a child run around to get extra energy out in a safe places

Thank you all for the responses, they were very helpful.
if he is granted a DAS your son will have to scan his band first at time to ride any ride you get a return time for. this is at time of ride not when you get return time. also you can only get return times for rides that he is riding

if he is granted a DAS your son will have to scan his band first at time to ride any ride you get a return time for. this is at time of ride not when you get return time. also you can only get return times for rides that he is riding

Anyone on the "group" can set up the DAS return time, not just the person who has the DAS. But only one DAS return time can be active at a time, and yes the person with the DAS has to be one of the riders.

Anyone on the "group" can set up the DAS return time, not just the person who has the DAS. But only one DAS return time can be active at a time, and yes the person with the DAS has to be one of the riders.
from what we found and it did cause some unhappiness with other sibs as person with DAS had to be first to tap in when riding. other kids wanted to be first just something we found with our group. you are correct about set up that was not what we found when returning to ride

from what we found and it did cause some unhappiness with other sibs as person with DAS had to be first to tap in when riding. other kids wanted to be first just something we found with our group. you are correct about set up that was not what we found when returning to ride

The other kids can be the first to tap through for fp+ rides!

The other kids can be the first to tap through for fp+ rides!
we had too many other kids and yes they counted and complained plus to them because could only use on rides he rode felt he was getting to choose. the problems of having 3 boys close in age. it is a brotherly thing as soon as he got a second ride at a park someone had less than he had

MThey are going to ask you general information about what his needs are, basically to ensure you aren't requesting DAS for a mobility-related issue (trouble standing/walking, issues waiting in lines due to physical fatigue/physical limitations).

I know this is specific to just me, but I'm sure other people on this forum have a similar or same issue
I suffer from vasovagal syncope (passing out from certain triggers basically) and standing in one place with lots of people in the hot Florida air for an hour+ can (and will) make me pass out
That would technically be an issue waiting in line due to physical fatigue/physical limitation, so would they not allow me to do the "return time" strategy? That would be better for me than renting a wheelchair or ECV as I don't have an issue standing/walking, it's just the combination of multiple triggers

I know this is specific to just me, but I'm sure other people on this forum have a similar or same issue
I suffer from vasovagal syncope (passing out from certain triggers basically) and standing in one place with lots of people in the hot Florida air for an hour+ can (and will) make me pass out
That would technically be an issue waiting in line due to physical fatigue/physical limitation, so would they not allow me to do the "return time" strategy? That would be better for me than renting a wheelchair or ECV as I don't have an issue standing/walking, it's just the combination of multiple triggers
This is iffy you will need to talk to the cast members at gust relation about your need put I would have a back up plan in place if you are told no

That makes sense, thank you
Just know that there is a lot of walking out side in the heat going from thing to thing. Waiting for food or drinks watching a show and so on. If walking ( not standing for a long time in one place helps) most lines are slow moving they really only stop for a minute or two you will stop longer for pre show then for the lines. So walking in places might help. Have the people you are with stand a little behind you to give you more room to move in any line ( food lines transportation lines and so on ) do not feel bad about used g any tool you need

That would technically be an issue waiting in line due to physical fatigue/physical limitation

It’s considered a “stamina” issue and usually the accommodation offered is to use a mobility device. It will allow you to change position (standing/sitting) as often as needed, and likely more important from WDW’s perspective it means you have a seat ready in the event you do have an episode, preventing you from falling and suffering an injury.

As PP says, you can discuss it with Guest a Relations, but be prepared with a back-up plan if they won’t issue DAS.

Enjoy your vacation!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter