Addon-itis

Louise Potts

Mouseketeer
Hi all,

I have 220 points via resale at SSR and I would like to increase my number of points, am I missing something here or could I buy points at Vero Beach to ramp my total number of points up? I have just received an email from DVC Store and they are advertising 170 points at $64 per point and I am thinking this would be a much more affordable way of getting extra points? I have no plans to stay at Vero Beach just my usual SSR so I guess my question is - is this too good to be right, and could i combine my 220 and 170 to have 390 points all of which i could use 11 months out to book SSR?

Thanks!

Points never change their home resort advantage. So, VB points are only good at VB at the 11 mont window,

At 7 months, they can be used with your SSR points, providing same UY, to book SSR or any other L14 resort

Points never change their home resort advantage. So, VB points are only good at VB at the 11 mont window,

At 7 months, they can be used with your SSR points, providing same UY, to book SSR or any other L14 resort
In addition to high MFs, this is the biggest reason I didn't consider adding on at VB, HHI, or Aulani. Points from any of those "offsite" locations can only be used to book at WDW at the 7 month mark, so you risk availability being a challenge.

If your primary reason to buy is to stay at WDW, then it's safer IMO to have that 11 month advantage at one of the WDW resorts.

Before I bought into DVC I initially had the same thought as the original poster, I was going to buy a bunch of Vero points on the cheap. After a ton more research and calculations I am now of the belief that the best value on Disney property are Bay lake tower and Polynesian. The cost per point including maintenance fees is substantially lower for both of those resorts versus vero beach.

MF are not just higher now, but VB is at higher risk of storm damage and increase even more in the future. The risk is not worth itunless you want to use 11 months advantage at VB regularly.

Oh so if i couldn't combine all points to apply to a booking at SSR 11 months out? I would have to wait until 7 months out to utilise all the points together?

MF are not just higher now, but VB is at higher risk of storm damage and increase even more in the future. The risk is not worth itunless you want to use 11 months advantage at VB regularly.
good point - also didn't think of that, I think I may be better off just buying more points at SSR

Before I bought into DVC I initially had the same thought as the original poster, I was going to buy a bunch of Vero points on the cheap. After a ton more research and calculations I am now of the belief that the best value on Disney property are Bay lake tower and Polynesian. The cost per point including maintenance fees is substantially lower for both of those resorts versus vero beach.
thanks for sharing that - top tips!

Oh so if i couldn't combine all points to apply to a booking at SSR 11 months out? I would have to wait until 7 months out to utilise all the points together?

Yes. As I said , it’s the points that carry the home resort advantage, not the owner,

So, I would not add on at VB unless to be able to book there at 11 months for stays. If the goal is to increase points needed at 11 months, then buy SSR to use with what you have.

I’m not sure how there is an increased risk in the future. There is always a risk when you build something on the beach. Our last president just spent millions on a ocean front property, he doesn’t appear to be to worried.

If you plan on keeping the points short term, 8 years or less they can be a deal, but if you want them long term, buy more SSR points.

I’m sitting at my first visit to Vero Beach right now after a day lounging in the sun. This place is stellar. I wouldn’t mind being saddled with a bunch of Vero Beach points every now and then. ;)
!!! I have a sun burn in February!!!

I feel I should thank whomever picked up that loaded 160 point Sep UY AKL contract, because I really really don't need to add on more*, but I was really, really tempted by that contract. I didn't realize how hard addonitis** would be to resist.

* Of course, next year is our 20th anniversary, and more points means we could splurge on a Grand Villa, Cabin, or Bungalow... hmmm...
** We bought in September 2019, with a Direct and Resale contract. But since then we've added on 2 small resale contracts at AKL...

We just passed ROFR today on our first 160 pt contract at BLT. Prior to being informed of the good news, I put in another offer on another 160 pt contract that was accepted. If all goes well I will be going from ZERO DVC points to 320 points in a blink of an eye! I wouldn't have it any other way! :)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!