Adding on...

Jaguar Skills

Mouseketeer
No sooner have we got our first contract sorted (just waiting for Disney to sort the points) but we are thinking given there is a bit of a dip in the market whether now might be a good time to add points!? 😂

My OH thinks that you should only buy a contract with same UY but I disagree. Our current contract is Feb but given when our little one is older we will probably mainly travel in August I thought there’s no issue with June?

Is there any benefit to having the same UY? Does it just make it easier organising it all?

The same UY is the same membership account.

If you have different UY then they are different memberships. You can transfer points between your memberships but you have to call MS and the transferred points retain the original UY.

I have 3 contracts, all the same UY - just for convenience

If you are going to use those points together for one trip, it is easier to have the same UY.

But if you are adding on to have an extra trip(or basically using that new contract in a different separate way), UY doesn't matter, imho.

If you will ever need points from both contracts for the same reservation, booking will be frustrating, especially if you plan to book studios for one of the more popular times. You will not be able to book your reservation entirely online - you will need to call MS. Reaching MS in a timely manner can be an issue.

A February use year will cover summer ( and even September & October ) trips, because the banking deadline is the end of September. I'd trade a few extra months to bank points from a cancelled summer trip for easy online booking every time.

You'll be booking trips many more times than cancelling trips, I hope.

My vote on this one is with your other half. :)

Thanks all. Given we are from the Uk, it will always be one longer trip rather than smaller trips. So she is right - as per usual....

The best example I heard is that different UY is like two different people making the bookings.

I have multiple use years, and I don't think it's an issue at all.

You can't transfer banked or borrowed points. You cannot borrow transferred points. Anytime you have points transferred into your account (even from one UY contract that you own to another UY contract that you own), you have to call MS to make or modify the reservation and to transfer the points. You are limited to one transfer in or out per year. Transferring is the only way to combine the points from both memberships. Or you reserve as many nights as you can with one and same with the other. And then you have two separate reservations that you cannot join. You'd have to request to stay in the same villa if you are doing one location.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!