Adding Genie + now includes ticket price increases

Kip Herner

Mouseketeer
I was just looking at adding Genie + to my ticket for first week in May. While going through the process, I saw a statement that if you wait to add Genie + to your ticket after your initial purchase, you will need to pay the cost of Genie + and any additional increase to your ticket package that may have happened after you bought your tickets. I do not know if this is well known or not, so I thought I would share.

Last edited:
Wow! I hadn't heard anything about this and just logged in to look at my 3 day tickets bought pre-price increase and even now, to add Genie to all the days, I would ALSO have to pay the ticket price increase. I can see that the price increase is $12.36 now because if I click to add days it shows keeping it as is with 3 days would "cost me" $12.36.

So for 2 people to add Genie for 3 days it's now $109.00 - $12.36 for the price increase, + $90.00 for 3 days of Genie for 2 people +$6.64 in tax. Before the price increase it was like $95 after tax.

Not that I was planning to add Genie for all of my days but what the heck! My tickets were bought from UT though so that could maybeee be part of it?

Wow! I hadn't heard anything about this and just logged in to look at my 3 day tickets bought pre-price increase and even now, to add Genie to all the days, I would ALSO have to pay the ticket price increase. I can see that the price increase is $12.36 now because if I click to add days it shows keeping it as is with 3 days would "cost me" $12.36.

So for 2 people to add Genie for 3 days it's now $109.00 - $12.36 for the price increase, + $90.00 for 3 days of Genie for 2 people +$6.64 in tax. Before the price increase it was like $95 after tax.

Not that I was planning to add Genie for all of my days but what the heck! My tickets were bought from UT though so that could maybeee be part of it?
I don't think it has to do with where you bought them. I bought mine through Disney, and my cost per person, per day for 5 days was 19.36 before tax, so it was 4.36 more for the price increase.

I was just looking at adding Genie + to my ticket for first week in May. While going through the process, I saw a statement that if you wait to add Genie + to your ticket after your initial purchase, you will need to pay the cost of Genie + and any additional increase to your ticket package that may have happened after you bought your tickets. I do not know if this is well known or not, so I thought I would share.
Wow!

I don't think it has to do with where you bought them. I bought mine through Disney, and my cost per person, per day for 5 days was 19.36 before tax, so it was 4.36 more for the price increase.
Wow. I see why the system adds the price increase due to the way you have to add Genie (since you straight up modify your ticket vs a separate purchase) but that’s absolutely ridiculous in my opinion.

That's what normally happens when you are modifying a ticket or a package, when the price increases you have to pay the increase if you change things. Does it happen if you buy Genie each day or just add it to a full ticket?

I just went through this today. Adding Genie+ now also included a $52 ticket price jump. I was torn but went ahead and did it because I’m worried Disney will increase the cost of Genie+ before my trip in June. Or they start limiting how many people can buy it day of.

(I remember with Maxpass in Disneyland, it was about 6 months at the introductory cost of $15/day before it increased to $20/day.)

That's what normally happens when you are modifying a ticket or a package, when the price increases you have to pay the increase if you change things. Does it happen if you buy Genie each day or just add it to a full ticket?

Last June we decided to add the water park option to our tickets the day before we arrived at WDW. I bought my tickets through AAA at a discounted price many months earlier. I was only charged the price of the waterpark upgrade and not the difference in price so I believe this is new and super disappointing. I guess I will no longer decide to upgrade my ticket last minute. :(

Wait, I have non expiring tickets, so will I get charged extra or will I just have to pay the cost of Genie +?

it's not new, adding the waterpark option doesn't actually alter the ticket. Adding Genie Plus to an entire ticket prior to arrival apparently does.

This makes me feel better about having just gotten Genie+ for every day. Was originally thinking about being strategic and not adding it for Epcot or Animal Kingdom days but my husband said to just get it every day.

This makes me feel better about having just gotten Genie+ for every day. Was originally thinking about being strategic and not adding it for Epcot or Animal Kingdom days but my husband said to just get it every day.

That is exactly what my husband said last night 😜
I’m trying to save money where I can and figured we didn’t need Genie+ for AK at the very least, and probably Epcot, but all of my “What if they raise the price? What if it’s not available? What if it’s busier than predicted and we need it for all the parks?” was driving him nuts. Bought it this morning for all 8 park days.

Easy solution, and is my best advice to anyone visiting WDW currently, and about the only way to express your feelings to Disney management....

Don't Buy Genie+

Stop feeding the beast! They will get the message sooner or later.... and in the mean time go with a touring plan method, big rides at beginning and end of day... take a nap in the afternoon. I know that won't work for everyone though...

Wow. JUST WOW. Sure enough, if I were to add it to all of my days, now, the price went up almost $60 (family of 5 for 5 days). Unbelievable. So, if I buy it the day of, is it still just the $15/day (or whatever the prevailing per day cost is, but hoping that it won't go up more between now and April 12th!!). ARGHHHHHH!!!! :mad:

WHAT. Does this only apply if you are adding Genie+ for everyday of your trip? Or will it still cost extra if I add individual days during my stay?

I planned on just adding Genie+ for my Magic Kingdom and Hollywood Studios days once it becomes available at midnight. In this case, am I going to also be charged for an increase in ticket price?

Easy solution, and is my best advice to anyone visiting WDW currently, and about the only way to express your feelings to Disney management....

Don't Buy Genie+

Stop feeding the beast! They will get the message sooner or later.... and in the mean time go with a touring plan method, big rides at beginning and end of day... take a nap in the afternoon. I know that won't work for everyone though...

So will this method allow you to go on the latest rides without Genie + or are there some new rides that you can only go on if you purchase Genie +? Right now I am so disappointed in what seems like squeezing every penny out of us and not even being able to get on the latest new rides without paying extra that I have no interest in going to the parks.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter