Add a second home resort at BCV or add at GF?

CSLucas

Mouseketeer
Hey everyone,
Hope this is ok to ask here- we are currently in ROFR at Grand Floridian, which is probably where we will want to stay most often. We had planned to slowly add more points there direct through Disney, however we are now thinking of adding 100 points at Beach Club Villas via resale instead. How hard will it be to use those points at Grand Floridian at the 7 month mark along with our home resort points? We are pretty flexible travelers and would not be traveling at any peak times like holidays, but although we wouldn't mind staying at BCV, we would prefer to mostly stay at Grand Floridian.

Honestly, studios are hard to get at 7 months but if you are flexible and willing to put some work into it, you may have good luck,

I have but it’s always taken waitlists and stalking the website to piece it together and it’s never more than 4 nights, but usually 2 or 3. However, if I end up at BLT that is fine too.

If you know for sure you want VGF, and studios, I would add on more at VGF because nothing like becoming frustrated. It is a small resort and things go fast,

Summer may be the easier time...but September to January..not so much!

We have 3 homes - AK, BC, BL - and have never been able to get into GF for more than 1 night and therefore have yet to experience GF.

I’m sure you’re not giving us all the details here 😉 but I would definitely recommend adding another resale VGF instead of BCV. It sounds like that’s where you’d really rather be, and BCV is not a good deal... unless BCV is where you always want to stay with those points!! BCV ends 24 years before your VGF points will and if your goal is to use them together- at VGF- it just doesn’t add up to me. Yes, the pp is higher at VGF, but given the many more years on the contract, the points end up being cheaper than BCV in the long run (by quite a lot!).

Thanks, everyone. I think we will keep looking for another GF contract. That's where we really do want to be, and although I'm sure we wouldn't be upset booking somewhere else it definitely would add potential frustration to our plans

I think that's the best choice given what you described.

You probably already know this, but make sure when you get your second VGF contract that it is the same use year as your existing contract so they will work well together.

Pre-Covid, it was easy to book VGF 1BR at 7 month non-peak, because they are so expensive. I used SSR points for that booking and was thrilled.

Pre-Covid, it was easy to book VGF 1BR at 7 month non-peak, because they are so expensive. I used SSR points for that booking and was thrilled.
that's good to know - our plan is to stick with 1BR as much as possible (but we also aren't the best planners so even with our "home" at VGF we will probably be booking closer to the 7 month mark). We are doing 2 trips this year but that is an anomaly- we are typically a 1 trip to Disney a year family so we don't need to save points for two stays. I think I'll still stick with VGF just because of the other good points brought up above about BCV really not being less expensive in the long-run. No sense trying to save a few bucks today and regretting it for the next 40 years!

I just closed on a VGF contract and got our points. We were looking for studios and couldn’t get enough days together for November or December. I called as someone suggested to see if they had some inventory around as a “welcome home” trip and was told that with the 50th anniversary, loads of points out there, and it being the holiday it wasn’t possible. I could have put a few days together and waitlisted some days but since we are flexible we ended up getting 4 nights in September all together and it saved us a few points as well. There were more 1 bedrooms available then studios

I just closed on a VGF contract and got our points. We were looking for studios and couldn’t get enough days together for November or December. I called as someone suggested to see if they had some inventory around as a “welcome home” trip and was told that with the 50th anniversary, loads of points out there, and it being the holiday it wasn’t possible. I could have put a few days together and waitlisted some days but since we are flexible we ended up getting 4 nights in September all together and it saved us a few points as well. There were more 1 bedrooms available then studios

Was that for this coming September? We are hoping to do a quick 2-day trip right at the beginning of September if we can get our points in time and were hoping a 1 br might still be available at VGF. We have a backup cash reservation at Wilderness Lodge right now so it's not a huge deal if it doesn't work out, but it would save us some $$ (plus our second contract that's in ROFR has some points that are going to be expiring this year)

Was that for this coming September? We are hoping to do a quick 2-day trip right at the beginning of September if we can get our points in time and were hoping a 1 br might still be available at VGF. We have a backup cash reservation at Wilderness Lodge right now so it's not a huge deal if it doesn't work out, but it would save us some $$ (plus our second contract that's in ROFR has some points that are going to be expiring this year)
Yes this September! I just looked at VGF on the DVC website and all of September and October is totally available in a one bedroom. I mean wide open. Only time not sept 30 to October 3. im surp looks like they opened a bunch up

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter