Actual cost of long-distance driving?

Forgot to add... I also have to figure in that I only get 2 weeks actual vacation time from work so I don't want to waste it in the car!

loveswdw

ncligs,
I'm glad somebody else thinks the way we do. We get a lot of questions about why we always fly. Probably when we have kids we'll drive unless airfare is rock bottom!!

loveswdw

loveswdw,

Flying is the "best and safest way" to travel.Especially if you are limited to 1 week of vacation at a time.We just flew to Norfolk this July,to go to Nags Head NC. We rented a car there and drove 90 minutes to Nags Head.Instead of driving 10 hours from Ohio.;)

We drove in an old suburban, and I think gas and tolls were under or around $300.00. Drove straight through, so no hotels. I don't know about the food cost but maybe between $100-150 for the eight of us (breakfast, lunch and 1 dinner). We will drive again for our trip in Dec. but probably stop overnight this time. My husband has to fly a lot for business, so doesn't want to deal with it when he doesn't have to. I just like driving,always have always will.

I prefer driving to flying, myself. The actual flight time is a lot less than driving time, but when you add in driving to the airport, schlepping all your stuff and kids through the checkin line, security, etc., waiting on the runway while they check whatever light is going off in the cockpit, schlepping the carry-ons and the kids to another plane because the light won't go off, schlepping the carry-ons and the kids to baggage claim, waiting for your baggage, schlepping the carry-ons, the kids, and the baggage to the rental car counter, waiting in line there, schlepping, the kids, the carry-ons and the luggage to the rental car, and then driving the - what is it? about 45 minutes to WDW ---- you've used up quite a bit of time and energy. Plus, you have to do it all on THEIR schedule.

To me, it's so much simpler to load the luggage and the kids in the car, start driving, stop a few times along the way whenever you want to, drive straight to WDW, and unpack the car when you get there. Yes, it takes a bit more time, but with a lot less hassle in the long run. I guess it helps that my kids enjoy long car trips. We listen to books on tape in the car (Harry Potter 4 lasted us to Niagara Falls and back, and plus some extra tooling around town.)

The bottom line this trip, though, is money. Flying is absolutely out of the question, especially since we'd have to rent a car. (The main point of the trip is a family reunion farther south in FL.) The decision is whether to drive or not to go at all.

Barb D,

I understand your point of view, especially with 2-3 kids, it would be expensive flying. But when it is just my wife and I, it is much more relaxing to fly. We always just bring 1 carry on baggage each, no waiting for luggage;) , we use National Car rental, Emarald Aisle. We get off the plane with our carry on's,walk to the car rental area, National's is on- site, pick out any car we want, no waiting in line, get in car and drive off. Usually we are at our WDW resort (OKW) 35-40 minutes after landing when we fly.:D

It's a tough decision to ride or fly. Usually it comes down to money. If you can do it much cheaper and drive, that's the way to go. We drove to Orlando last year. This year, if the numbers work out, the 5 of us (3 kids) will fly. I love to fly. I use to do it quite a bit in another life.

I'm hoping airfare will go down to $125/pp and I can rent a mid-size car ~ $150 for the week. That's about $750 total. (I'll get some friends to schlep us to the airport and schlep us back).

Has anyone flown with three kids and found it to be cost effective from the MD/DC area? TIA. :D

Pat_Rita, Southwest has a $118 RT internet special out of BWI. Wonder of wonders, DH is actually leaning towards us flying rather than driving. (We're in Columbia, MD, too.) This is an unexpected turn of events. Still not sure how it's all going to wash out.

Thanks Barb,

I saw that fare at Southwest Airlines. By the time they finish with taxes it ends up being over $150 per person. I'm hoping something will come up even cheaper.

I'm starting to take a look at flying into Tampa as well. Whichever is cheaper.

Rita (waiting in anticipation for thos fares to go down) :bounce:

Rita, DH just decided that yes, we can go, and yes, we will fly. We'll probably go with the $118 Southwest fare. We checked into taking Delta into Tampa or Ft. Myers (where our family reunion is), but it looks like flying into Orlando is the cheapest way to go. I suspect that rental cars are cheaper in Orlando, too.

Originally posted by Barb D
Rita, DH just decided that yes, we can go, and yes, we will fly. We'll probably go with the $118 Southwest fare. We checked into taking Delta into Tampa or Ft. Myers (where our family reunion is), but it looks like flying into Orlando is the cheapest way to go. I suspect that rental cars are cheaper in Orlando, too.

Barb D,

Its the only+ best way to travel(fly)!!!;)

Peace of mind driving. Priceless!
We're driving from Southeastern Mass in October (again) and staying over two nights each way. We always figure on adding the extra driving days to our vacation time. I cannot even imagine the hassle of getting to the airport, luggage, parking, security....
We always stay one night in a great place (this trip, Savannah, Georgia) and always arrive WDW one night early and stay at FW cabins. I don't care about any of the arguments about driving versus flying statistics...I'm driving! Just thinking about what those poor people went through on 9/11 puts me in my SUV. At least I have some control when I'm driving.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter