Accomodation questions

caroley

Zip-A-Dee-Doo-Dah
I'm having a crisis here. I just found out that the resort that we're due to stay at in October does not have any non-smoking rooms. I cannot stay in a smoky room as it would trigger migraines so I daren't risk it. Virgin have said they will change our accomodation if there is availability. We're considering three resorts at the moment. Two I've just phoned and confirmed that they have non-smoking rooms, one I've had to e-mail. Does anyone know anything about these three resorts?

Fantasy World club villas
Villas of Somerset, Laguna bay & Royal palm bay
Embassy suites Lake Buena Vista

Please help with any info you have. I'm starting to panic now and having visions of cancelling the whole thing :(.

I looked at Villas of Somerset, Laguna bay & Royal palm bay last year, it's actually not a resort as such, they are townhouses or apartments in 3 different developments, as far as I can tell there may be 'real people' living there as well as holiday makers. We really liked the look of them, but it's not a hotel as such so you wouldn't be getting hotel facilities. The location of the 3 developments is fairly spread out so I would want to know which development they were putting you on.

We liked the look of them and would have stayed there if we could have afforded it - (they had huge supplements for just 2 people)

Bev

Can't help with any of those accommodations, I'm afraid - just wanted to commiserate over having to change your plans :(

Hi Carol

Just read your PM about this, not good news for you is it? :(

Did you pre-book a non-smoking room with Virgin? Were non-smoking rooms advertised in the brochure? If so, Virgin should be held responsible for this, for not checking out their facts properly and should be obliged to fix you up somewhere, even if it costs them!

Sorry don't know anything about the other resorts, but hope you manage to sort something out soon.

At least you found out now, try not to panic, you do have plenty of time to get something sorted, even if it means cancelling and starting all over again, don't forget we are here to help! :D

Which resort were you originally booked into? Virgin should offer you an alternate that is a similar type of accommodation to that which you booked and it should be equal or better than the accomodation you originally booked.

I've stayed at an Embassy Suite before, but not that location, I thought they were very nice.

Thanks for the sympathy guys. It really does help :).

The hotel has changed it's policy since we booked. That's what you get for booking 18 months early :rolleyes:. Both Vistana resorts now are smoking optional and as it wasn't advertised in the brochure as having non-smoking rooms, (never crossed our minds that it wouldn't) and although we had a request for a non-smoking room on our booking, requests are not guaranteed. Virgin are ok about changing our accomodation if I can settle on somewhere else, and if, of course, there is availability. Sigh :(.

Of course nowhere else looks nearly as nice as Vistana. We'd really set our hearts on it, and last night I spent ages on the accomodation board looking for our three alternates and all I could find was glowing reports on Vistana.

Should I risk it and stay with what we've booked? Do you think the rooms will be smelly? I'm really undecided on what to do now.

:confused: :confused: :confused:

can you try ringing vistana directly and speaking ot them, I find it incredible that they would have no non-smoking rooms, these days there are loads of people who would require that facility.

Bev

Bev, that's just what I did. Virgin kept saying that they had to have non-smoking rooms so not to worry, but I really trust Virgin to have the facts right :rolleyes:, right? So, I phoned Vistana villages and spoke to a chap on the reception desk, and he confirmed it. I asked him three times phrasing it differently each time ;), as I couldn't really believe it. He must have thought I was a right idiot :p.

I asked up on one of the US boards what they thought, and they seem to think that the room wouldn't smell and I should keep the booking.

Still confused and undecided :confused:

I am <b>very</b> fussy about smoke smells! We always request a non-smoking room, but on our first on-site stay at DxL we had requested a building near the food court which turned out to be all smoking. Disney let us take a look on the understanding we could switch if it was unacceptable, and it was absolutely fine. If they hadn't told me it wasn't non-smoking, I wouldn't have known. Since then I've never worried too much about smoking or not, although we still always request non.

On the flip side, I have read reports of others who have been horrified at the smoke smells in their rooms and asked to move, but I can only speak from personal experience.

However, I'm just fussy - it's not a medical requirement like you. I think you need to decide whether you'll spend the next eight months worrying about it if you stick with the current booking.

We stayed at CBR in January and took a smoking room as it was close to the food court. We too had the option of changing if we found the room to smell of smoke. Like Hilary unless we were told it was a smoking room we would never have known - we too are VERY fussy and it didn't smell at all. I think that the air conditioning helps a lot - nothing smelled of smoke - curtains, bedding, carpets - we checked - that's how fussy we are :)

Sorry I can't help with advice on the other accomodation you mentioned.

Jenny(thatcats):earsgirl:

Caroley

Awww that's awful isn't it!

I think I would be inclined though to stick with the booking if I was really keen on the resort and check the room out when you get there, I think unless a heavy smoker had been in the previous week it would probably be ok.

Deb

Carole
I'm very fussy/paranoid about smoky smelling rooms:( My first thought was if I was you I'd move.Then reading the posts about how fresh smelling the rooms are and thinking that in Orlando people don't tend to spend hardly any time in their hotel rooms (so not hours and hours of people smoking ) I think I would stick with your first choice.Specially as the alternatives don't match exactly what you want.

............Karen..........:D

Caroley just back and seen this.
We were at Vistana last week (resort not villages) we own there, the apartment is in Spas one of the older ones and it has never smelled of smoke even though the cupboard has 7 ashtrays in it! I dont know if this will help or not, by the way we are extremely sensitive to smoke as I get asthma.

Goodness Caroley that's awful. I hope that other hotels and resorts don't follow this pattern. I have stayed in smoking rooms when no non smoking have been available, and it isn't normally too noticeable, however I have always asked to move the next day if a room is vacant. I think that I might change resorts altogether if I were in your position, because it is easier now in the booking stage than later once you are already there. Tough decision though, and very annoying. I hope that the Vistana re-consider this, because I think that other people will not be happy either. Carolyn

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter