Accessing Verandah with murphy bed

TheLoaps

Earning My Ears
Can verandah still be easily accessed when the murphy bed is in use? (cat 04A on Fantasy). Does the murphy bed block the verandah door when it's down?

Yes, you can easily access the veranda when the bed is in use.
Deleting my comment as I was thinking of the couch bed rather than the Murphy. Sorry for the incorrect info. :sail:

Last edited:
Not easy in my opinion. Here is a photo of the Murphy Bed in front of the balcony door94B8D4D4-00E0-48F8-B6CB-18F5C23F6CC5.png

Thank you - am contemplating a stateroom change, and was wondering if we'd be able to use the veranda after DD put to bed. This answers my question.

It is a bit tight (as you can see in the picture with the steward), but as long as you are careful when you go past the end of the bed, you shouldn’t have any problem accessing the verandah without bothering the person sleeping in the bed. We have sailed numerous times with 5 people in a Cat. 4A and I regularly took a coffee out onto the verandah in the morning without waking up my son who was asleep in the bed.

Also, if you have clothing you need from that bottom cabinet, best take it out before they make the murphy bed...

Have only been on dream and fantasy so not sure if classic ships are different, but we do it literally every day of our cruises to enjoy the verandah evenings and early mornings while kids sleep and have never had an issue. You just have to turn sideways to get around the end of the bed and step carefully. It’s not “easy” but nor is it “hard” in my view—it’s not as though there was ever a time when we weren’t able to do it or fell or anything. Used our phone flashlights at night to see where to step.

Not easy... that is a design flaw in my opinion.

I would need to crawl over my kid in the dark in order to gain access to the verandah.

I hope they change this on the Wish.

I would need to crawl over my kid in the dark in order to gain access to the verandah.

There’s no crawling over anyone, you go around at the end of the bed. It is just a little narrow and that’s what makes it not super easy.

I have been racking my brain to think of a different configuration and unless you have a suite style bigger room there are no good choices. Of course, you can get a suite today but so expensive.

Ummm, .....not a design flaw, an accomodation for those who don't want a larger room for their larger group. Have you seen rooms on other ships?

Yes I agree that it can be done but is a little tight. You might wake up whomever is in the bed, if they are a light sleeper.

Thank you - am contemplating a stateroom change, and was wondering if we'd be able to use the veranda after DD put to bed. This answers my question.
You can always let the little one fall asleep in the big bed first and then transfer them to the Murphy bed when everyone is ready for bed and done with the verandah.

Ummm, .....not a design flaw, an accomodation for those who don't want a larger room for their larger group. Have you seen rooms on other ships?
Not to mention that it provides a view for the person who's in the Murphy bed, and that it's a better bed overall than the sofa bed.

We travel as two and get rooms with the murphy bed because we don't share the main bed and the sofa bed is uncomfortable. The murphy bed is more comfortable than the sofa bed. If the main bed was able to split into two beds like on most other cruise line we wouldn't need a room with a murphy bed.

I do think there are some design flaws with the murphy bed though... the end of it has some trip hazards that could be better designed to make it easier for someone to walk around to get to the window (oceanview) or door (verandah). The base sticks out well past the mattress and there are some metal "leg" parts that stick out as well. Both are trip and "whack" hazards.

If the main bed was able to split into two beds like on most other cruise line we wouldn't need a room with a murphy bed.
Time was the main bed was the typical two twins, pushed together to form the queen bed. DCL changed it when the Dream class ships joined the fleet.

Not all 4A rooms have the Murphy bed; correct? Is there a list somewhere that would list which rooms on the Fantasy/Dream have the murphy bed?

I have a 4A booked on the Fantasy for October. Wanted the murphy bed. Does anyone know if there are outlets near there
to plug in my C-Pap machine. There are only two adults in the cabin. I wanted an accessible room but it was not
available. We usually just share the queen in a HC room. DH has a bad back so I thought I'd give him the queen bed..

Not all 4A rooms have the Murphy bed; correct? Is there a list somewhere that would list which rooms on the Fantasy/Dream have the murphy bed?
I don't think there is a list that I am aware of. Trying making a reservation for 5. Then see what rooms pop up. Those are the rooms with the murphy bed.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter