Accessing the boards from your phone

hops&dreams

DIS Veteran
So, whenever I go to the boards on my phone, I get redirected over to some fishy looking click-bait kind of site. Or like "you won a gift card to Amazon." I've cleared my cache. Anything else I should be doing??? I am all over tech on a computer. Not so much on an iphone. I feel old now.

It’s not you. I’ve noticed it happens all the time. If you google pop ups you ll see easy steps for your browser, safari, google etc.

I did it earlier .. pop ups are a nightmare. Of late.. it’s whenever I come here :(

So, whenever I go to the boards on my phone, I get redirected over to some fishy looking click-bait kind of site. Or like "you won a gift card to Amazon." I've cleared my cache. Anything else I should be doing??? I am all over tech on a computer. Not so much on an iphone. I feel old now.
This has happened to many of us on this site -- you are not alone! Clearing the cache doesn't stop the pop ups. Some of us have installed ad blockers. lf you are using iOS, look at AdGuard (free version) -- easy to install and use -- and it works! Adblock is another one that was recommended here.

I generally do not because it is just harder to do on the phone. I have had spells where I get that issue though (using Safari). I really do not know how to fix it. The only solution I have come up with is to use something called "Firefox Focus" a second web browser, it seems to block that junk when it starts happening.

Use an ad blocker. I don't care if a site loses revenue when they use spammy ad tactics.

I use my phone 99.9% of the time to come here and I’ve never had that happen. I have an iPhone and don’t have an ad blocker installed. Maybe I’m just lucky..

It’s random Google ads where the buyer switches the contents by redirecting. I think Google stops the redirects but it’s kind of whack a mole.

There's already a discussion about it... https://www.disboards.com/threads/poll-anybody-getting-the-congratulations-you-won-popups.3750988/.

All the solutions are iOS based. So if you have an iOS device, you may be in luck. I haven't found anything that works on Android yet. I agree they're very annoying and I only get them when visiting Dis (it used to be on multiple websites, but not any more).

On Android, if using Chrome, just turn off java script. I've been doing it for years. Click the three dots on the side of your Chrome window > Settings > Site Settings > Java Script > Blocked.

Not only will you never see popups, you won't see ANY ads. It's a bit less user friendly, but good enough for reading and replying.

On Android, if using Chrome, just turn off java script. I've been doing it for years. Click the three dots on the side of your Chrome window > Settings > Site Settings > Java Script > Blocked.

Not only will you never see popups, you won't see ANY ads. It's a bit less user friendly, but good enough for reading and replying.
Thanks! I'll try it.

There's already a discussion about it... https://www.disboards.com/threads/poll-anybody-getting-the-congratulations-you-won-popups.3750988/.

All the solutions are iOS based. So if you have an iOS device, you may be in luck. I haven't found anything that works on Android yet. I agree they're very annoying and I only get them when visiting Dis (it used to be on multiple websites, but not any more).
It is so aggravating.
Use an ad blocker. I don't care if a site loses revenue when they use spammy ad tactics.
No ad blocker on Android. I do use ad blocker on the desktop/laptop. No problems there.

Really sad we have to resort to that.
Complain about it on the Technical Support board.

Prepare to not get any feedback.
None, zero, nada.

Here is a thread/poll I started here 3 months ago.

https://www.disboards.com/threads/poll-anybody-getting-the-congratulations-you-won-popups.3750988/
210 affirmative responses. :badpc:

You don't have to completely turn off java script. I just did it on my phone and was able to add a site exception so it only disables java here.

You don't have to completely turn off java script. I just did it on my phone and was able to add a site exception so it only disables java here.

Thank you! I only thought you could do it the other way around. Awesome!

In any event, blocking Java script really speeds up the boards so much.

Thank you! I only thought you could do it the other way around. Awesome!

Holy mackerel, it really does! I mean, it also makes it less uable when it comes to actually posting replies. But it's night-and-day when it comes to speed.

Last edited:
Holy mackerel, it really does! I mean, it also makes it less usuable when it comes to actually posting replies. But it's night-and-day when it comes to speed.

I have been blocking java script on this site for years. You get used to the quirks with posting. If I NEED to use a java based feature, I enable java script just for a moment and then block it again.

I had tried several ad blockers and none worked as well as simply disabling JS.

The free internet model is broken.

Prepare for the subscription model and paying to access every website.

Which internet model of what is broken? And how?
The idea that every site on the internet should be free is broken.

With the recent much needed push towards data protection (GDPR in Europe) that dream site owners had of monetizing meta data from site visitors is thankfully fading away.

Ads are becoming too obtrusive and people are expecting performance that can not be achieved with ad networks involved in serving up large portions of web sites.

I don't think it will be many years before the majority of sites limit the free content and put the rest up behind a pay wall. News sites seem to be leading the charge in this regard.

Sites like this will hang on longer for free but will eventually need sponsors that replace the obtrusive ad revenue or start selling subscriptions to the users.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter