Accepting into Housekeeping, is it worth it? Can I change roles?

mdotcom

Earning My Ears
Hi everyone :) I was accepted for Spring 2013 for a role in Housekeeping. This wasn't my first choice at all and I'm pretty sure I either marked it as low or no interest. :/ I made sure in my interview to say my top 3 choices were front desk, attractions, and merchandise. I pointed out several times that I have worked customer service for 5+ years (mainly retail and office type work) and love dealing with people and on a team! But somehow I got Housekeeping :( I really wanted to do the program to meet people and have fun in Disney while doing a job I enjoyed, but I am afraid if I accept I won't meet anyone at all. I'm quite a shy girl at first but I open up to people easily after a while and have always made friends at work, especially retail. But every time I've been to Disney all of the Housekeeping I ever see is middle aged women.. I'm 21! I want to meet people my age and go in the park and have a good time! So if anyone has worked Housekeeping for their program, I would really appreciate it if you could tell me what it was like and if you enjoyed it and met people. :)

Or does anyone know if it's possible to change roles? Like can I call and get something else or get a new role when I get there?

THANKS!!!

If there is a legitimate medical reason as to why you shouldn't work housekeeping, then you can call and request a change. One of my old roommates got custodial (which she was fine with) but after talking with a recruiter, and letting them know she had back problems (which would probably not work well with lifting heavy bags of trash) they switched her to attractions.

I can't say I know anybody personally who worked Housekeeping, but you can meet people in places other than work, such as roommates and even on the bus headed to work...if you see somebody in your same costume, you can strike up a conversation with them. Since you're only going to be there for spring, I would say it's worth it to go. If you end up not liking your job, you'll only be there for four months, then, if you have a clean record card, you can apply to extend into another role. There may even be some opportunities for cross-training. You just have to think positively about it all.

My dd is not shy, so keep that in mind:

Dd was told it would be and found it true that most of her friends were her immediate coworkers. That said, she did become good friends with one of her roommates (who was quite shy). She also made friends with CPers in other working areas, which was due to her striking up conversations with people on the bus.

My dd's college rep was a big help to her. Can your college rep find out for you how many CPers are in housekeeping? That might allay your fears (or confirm them). Also, ask him/her about the possibility of cross-training.

You cannot change roles unless there is a serious medical issue that would hinder your ability to perform everyday tasks in your role.

I was accepted into housekeeping for Spring Advantage 2013! Although I am auditioning (and hoping for) entertainment, I'll still be fine with housekeeping!

Look at the positives! It has the most regular hours of any job, and the pay rate is a bit higher than most! Also it is a tipped role! I wouldn't be worried about meeting people, because you'll be living in the apartments with other college program students! So with attending events, hanging around the complex, or even taking the bus you can meet MANY people! Also from what I understand, sometimes you are broken into groups for cleaning jobs so you won't be working alone at all! The housekeeping job is a group effort! :)

I've talked to housekeeping DCP alumni that said they absolutely loved it, and some said that they didn't love it. The way I see it, the job is what you make it! If you have fun with it, it will be an incredible program! Maybe we'll even be working together! :)

You can alwasy audition for entertainment and get out of housekeeping by getting a performer role.

You also learn how to make cute little towel animals! That adds so much to the magic!

There are complete threads here about how housekeeping has made guests trips more enjoyable, by staging stuffed animals into funny scenes and with towel animals. Not sure how much time is allotted to cleaning a room, but you have the opportunity to brighten a child's (or adult) day by how you approach this job. :thumbsup2

I suggest take what is offered and make it work for you!

I agree! I remember my visit to WDW when I was little and our housekeeper always decorated our stuffed animals all cute & I just loved the towel animals. It really brightened up my day and completed the whole "Disney Experience"!

I'm sorry but I have to jump in and ask a question here. I'm not a student, my kids have already graduated college, and my daughter refused to apply for a Disney internship because she was so afraid she would not get anything related to her Tech Theatre major. What are you going to school for that Disney would even think that putting you into a housekeeping position would benefit you? I'm not trying to be rude or start a snippy thread here. I truly don't understand how internships or college programs can put you into a job that has nothing to do with your schooling and call it "college program". If we were paying for tuition, credits, room/board, anything for our kids and they went to WDW for a college program and worked in housekeeping or as a life guard as a friend's daughter did, we would have been very upset. I thought the whole idea of the WDW college program was to help you advance your studies????

Am I totally missing something here? Is there much more to the college program in terms of what they expose you to, etc other than just your assigned job?

I'm sorry but I have to jump in and ask a question here. I'm not a student, my kids have already graduated college, and my daughter refused to apply for a Disney internship because she was so afraid she would not get anything related to her Tech Theatre major. What are you going to school for that Disney would even think that putting you into a housekeeping position would benefit you? I'm not trying to be rude or start a snippy thread here. I truly don't understand how internships or college programs can put you into a job that has nothing to do with your schooling and call it "college program". If we were paying for tuition, credits, room/board, anything for our kids and they went to WDW for a college program and worked in housekeeping or as a life guard as a friend's daughter did, we would have been very upset. I thought the whole idea of the WDW college program was to help you advance your studies????

Am I totally missing something here? Is there much more to the college program in terms of what they expose you to, etc other than just your assigned job?

I understand where you are coming from! The Disney College Program is more about getting job experience working with a reputable company. The classes they offer are pretty Disney specific and there are so many that are great to advance your studies! Students can learn a lot in these classes! It's basically a semester away from your college, taking classes but working at Disney.

Disney also has a professional internship program that is major-specific and would probably be a better fit for your daughter. They have internships in Broadcast/Media, Corporate, Creative, Entertainment, Operations, Sales/Marketing, and Technology!
You can find out more information about the DPI here:
http://profinterns.disneycareers.com/en/default/

Basically, if she is looking to get job experience at Disney for her resume and take classes for one semester, the Disney College Program is perfect.

If she is wanting a major-specific job that could further her knowledge of what she is studying in college, the Disney Professional Internship is probably a better option.

I understand where you are coming from! The Disney College Program is more about getting job experience working with a reputable company. The classes they offer are pretty Disney specific and there are so many that are great to advance your studies! Students can learn a lot in these classes! It's basically a semester away from your college, taking classes but working at Disney.

Disney also has a professional internship program that is major-specific and would probably be a better fit for your daughter. They have internships in Broadcast/Media, Corporate, Creative, Entertainment, Operations, Sales/Marketing, and Technology!
You can find out more information about the DPI here:
http://profinterns.disneycareers.com/en/default/

Basically, if she is looking to get job experience at Disney for her resume and take classes for one semester, the Disney College Program is perfect.

If she is wanting a major-specific job that could further her knowledge of what she is studying in college, the Disney Professional Internship is probably a better option.

Thank you! That makes way more sense! I'm thinking her friend who was the life guard applied to the regular program and not the Professional Internship one. My DD is already done with school and currently living/struggling in NYC. She is working outside of her area of study unfortunately but it is such a tough, tough industry to break into.

Thank you! That makes way more sense! I'm thinking her friend who was the life guard applied to the regular program and not the Professional Internship one. My DD is already done with school and currently living/struggling in NYC. She is working outside of her area of study unfortunately but it is such a tough, tough industry to break into.

No problem! Yes her friend was definitely in the college program! Good luck to your daughter, I hope she finds work soon that is IN her area of study!

The Disney Professional internship has an internship in Theatrical & Stage Production. I'm not sure how similar that is to Tech Theater, but it sounds similar.

Keep in mind that the specific DPIs are supposedly for undergrad & grad students only, but you can look on here to find Disney internships that are specifically for recent graduates! I'm not sure if they will have anything similar to her major, but it can't hurt to look!

An internship at Disney would be an amazing way for her to make connections and meet important people in her chosen line of work! So I think it's worth looking into if she is trying to break into her dream job! Having Disney on your resume looks fantastic to future employers!

Hope it helped! :)

Hi everyone :) I was accepted for Spring 2013 for a role in Housekeeping. This wasn't my first choice at all and I'm pretty sure I either marked it as low or no interest. :/ I made sure in my interview to say my top 3 choices were front desk, attractions, and merchandise. I pointed out several times that I have worked customer service for 5+ years (mainly retail and office type work) and love dealing with people and on a team! But somehow I got Housekeeping :( I really wanted to do the program to meet people and have fun in Disney while doing a job I enjoyed, but I am afraid if I accept I won't meet anyone at all. I'm quite a shy girl at first but I open up to people easily after a while and have always made friends at work, especially retail. But every time I've been to Disney all of the Housekeeping I ever see is middle aged women.. I'm 21! I want to meet people my age and go in the park and have a good time! So if anyone has worked Housekeeping for their program, I would really appreciate it if you could tell me what it was like and if you enjoyed it and met people. :)

Or does anyone know if it's possible to change roles? Like can I call and get something else or get a new role when I get there?

THANKS!!!

Don't worry you should have time to make new friends!

This is why you need to be SO careful with your roles checklist. If you're not interested in a role, it needs to be a firm NO.

My question to you at this point would be this: if Disney decided that this is the only role they could fit you into, would you rather them not have offered anything at all?

They are meticulous about placing people, so it didn't happen on accident. Yes, housekeeping is mostly middle aged women, many from Latin America or Haiti. We had 4 American housekeeping CPs at my hotel and, while they got along well with each other, they didn't speak often with their co-workers. You will have the chance to interact with front desk, concierge, food service, and merchandise CPs in the break room. You'll probably work 8-430 everyday. I know they had 16 rooms assigned per shift, and if they completed more, they received a bonus in their paycheck- maybe $10/room, plus tips.

If you perform well, you can request to do housekeeping dispatch. This role entails answering guest calls for room requests, but you don't have to clean any rooms during your shift. I often see CPs moved into dispatch after their first month, and it seemed enjoyable.

I am going to be housekeeping as well and I am looking on the bright side of it, we get paid more than minimum wage, we get tips, and when we go to the parks it will always be strictly for fun and not work! Also weather will never be an issue that gets in our way!

And I'll be 21 too, so you're not alone! :)

I am not making light of anyone's concerns here because I completely understand why college internships are controversial everywhere they occur. For some students the chance to get away from home is reason enough to apply. Have you noticed that all home towns are "boring" to average teenagers?

I was on a very interesting tour at Rosen College when a parent of a prospective student wanted to know what kinds of jobs the graduates could be expected to get and even specifically asked "They aren't managing a McDonald's are they?". I stayed silent so as not to upset the woman's parents, but the remark bothered me. Sending everyone to college is not going to change the number of people needed to do certain jobs which the economy relies upon.

The problem I see with college students or college graduates not getting jobs specific to their major is that pay and benefits for jobs are based much more on job status than on economic contribution. That is the core problem. We could suddenly start requiring four-year degrees in housekeeping, but it would not change the skills needed to do the job that is called "unskilled labor" solely because it lacks status. I have known people with graduate degrees who were cleaning for a living, and some of them did not come close to the competency of someone who spoke no English and who had a third or fourth grade education in their native language.

I am not making light of anyone's concerns here because I completely understand why college internships are controversial everywhere they occur. For some students the chance to get away from home is reason enough to apply. Have you noticed that all home towns are "boring" to average teenagers?

I was on a very interesting tour at Rosen College when a parent of a prospective student wanted to know what kinds of jobs the graduates could be expected to get and even specifically asked "They aren't managing a McDonald's are they?". I stayed silent so as not to upset the woman's parents, but the remark bothered me. Sending everyone to college is not going to change the number of people needed to do certain jobs which the economy relies upon.

The problem I see with college students or college graduates not getting jobs specific to their major is that pay and benefits for jobs are based much more on job status than on economic contribution. That is the core problem. We could suddenly start requiring four-year degrees in housekeeping, but it would not change the skills needed to do the job that is called "unskilled labor" solely because it lacks status. I have known people with graduate degrees who were cleaning for a living, and some of them did not come close to the competency of someone who spoke no English and who had a third or fourth grade education in their native language.

The issue is here and it is one I understand well is we do go for a major specifically for something. A college student may not get a job directly in their field right now after they graduate but the goal down the line is they do. Now everyone has their own reasons for doing the Disney college Program, it is completely understandable that someone might not want to do housekeeping as it is not related to their major. Every job needs someone to do it and its' so called status doesn't matter so much as the individual involved.

With the economy being as tough as it is, it argues that time is money and that having something on your resume that isn't even remotely related to your major is done for 3-6 months while possibly having to put your college classes on hold, it becomes a bigger decision financial wise. As you stated, everyone has their own reasons for doing it and must make their own decisions but it is less related to status as related to what people are doing in terms of their career. When six out of 10 people aren't even graduating college in six years with a 4 year degree, there is a larger issue already at hand. It is a decision that has to be made individually for everyone and may not be the same. Not everyone may like the DCP and some people may love it. We're all different and we all have different factors to consider. But that doesn't mean the people who are housekeepers aren't great at what they do. It is just unrelated to what is right for the person involved here.

Mdotcom, Musings points are very valid that you have to decide whether it is worth your while to leave school, especially if you are paying tuition for the time that you are to be cleaning rooms while you don't want to be cleaning rooms. If your heart is set on Disney, I understand. If what you want most is an impressive entry on your resume, places like the Ritz Carlton close to where you attend school might be your cup of tea. You can then apply to Disney doing something that you want with the other company on your resume.

I am an older person who has seen many of her peers wish that they had gone straight to work instead of spending time and money on college and having little to show for it beyond debt so I don't know what to tell you.

I'm doing housekeeping as well and ive been really worried about it since almost everyones experiences of the job seem to be horrible and the fact there seems to be no social side to it. I'm only going to be 20 so I'm glad there's other young people on it too

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter