accepted by private middle school but no financial aid

worriednjmom

Earning My Ears
DD was accepted by a private school, but they didn't offer her any financial aid probably because we have savings...as I am not working...
Will it help if I were to call their financial aid office?

I understand I won't know until I call..but am wondering whether anyone was offered a financial aid when it was initially denied by the school.

DD was accepted by a private school, but they didn't offer her any financial aid probably because we have savings...as I am not working...
Will it help if I were to call their financial aid office?

I understand I won't know until I call..but am wondering whether anyone was offered a financial aid when it was initially denied by the school.

Can never hurt to call, or even better follow up with a letter (paper trail).

However, I'm pretty sure they look at total income, including savings. Since, according to them at least, you could use that savings for tuition. Even though you may be saving it for emergency, retirement, or whatever.

If it's the school in nj that I am thinking of good luck!

If it's the school in nj that I am thinking of good luck!

That's what I was thinking.... DS is just finishing his 8th grade year at the American Boychoir School in Princeton. He was there for 4 years, and no financial aid at all (we're talking college tuition $$$, not Catholic School tuition $$$). We made it work because of the unique experience he received at ABS. Some of the other parents figured out that you have to make less than $75k to qualify for financial aid. That's not a school threshold, that's the formula from SAIS, or whatever the name is of the online program you use to apply for financial aid.

All that said, call the financial aid office. The worse they can tell you is no. Just be prepared that if you receive no finanacial aid this year, you may not receive it in subsequent years unless your financial picture changes considerably.

Congratulations and best of luck to your daughter!

I want to be clear that I'm going to explain, and not justify, the financial aid policies around where I live.

Private schools here won't give aid to families where an adult doesn't work by choice, unless there are children below the age of 3. If a parent doesn't work because they're unemployed or disabled or have a child with major medical issues, that's different, but their stance is that every parent needs to do contribute as much as they can and then financial aid will be used to make up the difference.

I think it's worth calling, especially in this economy where they might have other people who don't get enough financial aid and turn them down freeing up money, but that might be the message you hear.

And yes, I totally understand how this sucks. My child was accepted to our first choice for Kindergarten, and we had to turn them down and go to public school because there was no aid for him.

Around here, financial aid at private schools is generally reserved for the most needy. In addition, you must apply each year and at some schools, there is an expectation that your situation will improve over time. I know families that got enough aid the first year or two, only to have to pull their child after that because the awards got smaller.

I have to prepare my kid for not attending the private school. Yes, it is NJ, a good private school charges private colleges $$$. I have been unemployed for nearly two years and have another child with learning disabilities.
We have been living below our means but we have to dip into our savings. I think it would be easier for us to be qaulified.

We haven't saved for college, DH told me I should use those $$$ for college instead of middle school. I have talked to my kid, while she likes the private school, she really prefers her current public school. We are not in a bad school district.

While I know many posters will not understand, we depleted our savings so our children could go to private school. With it there would have been no aid. You are only allowed a certain amount. DH and I will start building with every extra penny when our youngest starts college. We won't have the "best" retirement, but it will be enough for us.

My children are older now and understand the sacrifice we did. They both claim they will help us once they are on their own. It's sweet to see the offer, we will never take it though.

My advise is to call the school be honest. You may want to let them know the savings is for the disabled child in your home. The financial aid forms all have an extra area for unusual circumstances. Use that area to tell them the truth and or what the school tells you is your best bet.

I wish you luck and hope everything works out for you.

I have to prepare my kid for not attending the private school. Yes, it is NJ, a good private school charges private colleges $$$. I have been unemployed for nearly two years and have another child with learning disabilities.
We have been living below our means but we have to dip into our savings. I think it would be easier for us to be qaulified.

We haven't saved for college, DH told me I should use those $$$ for college instead of middle school. I have talked to my kid, while she likes the private school, she really prefers her current public school. We are not in a bad school district.

I agree - I went to private K - 8 and WISH my parents had instead saved that $$ toward my college! No one every asks you where you went to elementary or middle school after the fact! The only way I would consider paying for middle vs. helping with college costs is if the public school I was near was WAY below average. And in that case I would likely move (or at least try to sell my house in order to do so) to a better district.

Yes, financial aid should be to those most needy. Many people are in some ways needy these days....but not too many of them frequent a board dedicated mostly to planning DisneyWorld visits.

Most private schools have very limited funds available for financial aid since they get no state subsidies and most of their tuition payments go towards utilities, teacher salaries, licensing, insurance etc.

The scholaship funds come from fundraising or maybe from people who offer to sponsor a child through school. Our school does a ton of fundraising for scholarship amounts and offer work study for students, but it mostly goes to people who are single parent households.

Why do you feel entitled to a free private education? You stated your daughter enjoys her public school and it is a good school. If you can't afford it why should others be paying for her private education?

Usually these boards are great, but sometimes people are mean just to be mean. The OP wants her kid to go to a good school. Your a crap parent if you dont want that. She didn't say she wanted a free private education, she would like some help if available. Sheesh people, pull the stick out and calm down. Be nice and if you have nothing positive or helpful to say, why bother posting? Just to hurt someones feelings? It makes no sense and its mean.

BTW, I have no plans to visit Disney, visit these boards almost daily and have financial problems at times too. Imagine that! People can go to Disney and still not have 10 grand or more to send their kids to a great school.

My kids will be going back to a private school for elementary because our public district is so awful. Can we really afford it? No. Will it be a huge burden on us financially? Yup. Is it worth it, you can bet your bum it is. Everyone has to make the best decision for their family.

I would call the financial aid office and ask what you can do. According to some fin. aid people I have heard, they take different circumstances into consideration. It doesn't hurt to call. Good Luck!

Gracie, but she didn't say that there was anything wrong with her public school option, in fact she said it was good.

In addition, she isn't looking for an out of public school, I suspect she is looking at the top end, very expensive private school that is out of most folks price range.

no offense to anyone who wants to send their kids to private k-12, but unless you're sending your child to choate/andover/exeter/top school, i really don't see the point in shelling out tons of money. college is a different story, as that degree will follow them for the rest of their lives. middle school and high school don't really matter.

OP, if your child is happy with the public school and you think she/he can do well there also, then i would really focus on saving for college.

Playing Devils Advocate here.

You pay taxes to support the Public School System

A for-profit Private School pays taxes to support the Public School System.

A Private School needs to take in money to pay the teachers, provide for upkeep of the property, pay property taxes, pay for supplies and utilities, and make a profit for the owners.

Unless it is a not-for-profit with a fair-sized endowment the only source of income for the school is the tuition and fees which are charged to the students.

If the school provides some students with financial assistance, the only source of funding is the other students. This is clearly not fair for the other students, they are not only being asked to pay for their eduction, but also for the eduction of the people receiving assistance.

Unless there is an exceptional situation, if a person cannot afford a private school on their own the Public School System is available.

(This does not apply to colleges, where students can get governmental financial assistance or loans, or grants where the school has an endowment.)

[/rant]

I would question applying at a school if I chose not to pay the tuition. Why entertain the idea if you will not pay the cost if you are accepted? I understand hoping to get financial aid but don't understand why you applied if financial aid was a requirement for you to consider sending your child there. Hope this doesn't appear to be mean.

Question to the OP:

Why do you think your daughter deserves a free private eduation above all the parents like you who have to enroll their children in public school? Does your daughter bring some exceptional talent, such as being a star performer of a varsity team? Was she the top student in her public school and hence will bring stellar academic allocades? Will she offer racial diversity to the typical WASPy student body?

I am sure your DD is a good student and she met the minimum requirements for admission, but why should they offer you tuition assistance?

If you want your kids to get in a good college, then they had better of had a great education before hand. You can't expect them to go to a mediocre middle and high school and then have the kowledge and experience they will need for a great college. It happens occasionally that a super brilliant kids goes to an ok school and ends up in Harvard, or even whatever school is their top pick, but I say if you can set them up with the tools they need beforehand you are ahead of the game.

It is harder and harder to get in a top school and nowadays even a regular college degree isn't getting people the jobs they want. I think that education is one of the most important things you can give a kid and things are much more tough than when we were kids.

My kids will be going back to a private school for elementary because our public district is so awful. Can we really afford it? No. Will it be a huge burden on us financially? Yup. Is it worth it, you can bet your bum it is. Everyone has to make the best decision for their family.
The difference between you and the OP is you are willing to make the financial sacrifice to send your kids to private school. The OP wants to send her kids to private school, not work and sit on her nest egg. If private school is her priority then she will make the financial sacrifice and do it, if not the state provides a free public education.
If you want your kids to get in a good college, then they had better of had a great education before hand. You can't expect them to go to a mediocre middle and high school and then have the kowledge and experience they will need for a great college. It happens occasionally that a super brilliant kids goes to an ok school and ends up in Harvard, or even whatever school is their top pick, but I say if you can set them up with the tools they need beforehand you are ahead of the game.

It is harder and harder to get in a top school and nowadays even a regular college degree isn't getting people the jobs they want. I think that education is one of the most important things you can give a kid and things are much more tough than when we were kids.
I agree parents should do what they need to do to help out there kids, but the OP wants it all with no work on her part.

I wonder if the OP researched and discussed financial aid before applying?

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter