? about crossing border with dd

Discussion in 'Canadian Trip Planning & Community Board' started by KerriMc, Jul 24, 2006.

  1. KerriMc

    KerriMc DIS Veteran

    Jan 3, 2004
    Hello :sunny:

    I am going to Frankenmuth next week with my parents and we are going to take my oldest dd along. My dh is staying home with our younger dd. My mother seems to think that I need something from my dh to verify that it is ok that I am taking our child over the border on my own. Do I need something? She said that a patient at her office told her that they gave her a hassle at the border because she was taking her child on her own and they pulled her over to verify it. Could this happen? I don't want any issues when travelling, so if I need a letter I can get one of the guys from dh's work to verify it (he is an OPP, as is my dad).

    Anyone know? :confused3

  2. dvc at last !

    dvc at last ! DVC Member 2006!

    May 27, 2006
    Just came back from a trip to the duty free store this evening. We are adults and they wanted a photo ID. You may need birth certificates for the children ?
  3. Avatar


    to hide this advert.
  4. Goofy's apprentice

    Goofy's apprentice DIS Veteran

    Jun 21, 2005
    When we crossed last spring with our two children,(12 and 10) they specifically asked us if both children were ours or was it a 'mixed' family. It wouldn't hurt for your dh to provide a letter for you. I don't think that you would need anything more formal. Assuming that your daughter is old enough to answer their questions ...
  5. Think I'm Tink

    Think I'm Tink Oh, I am SO going back!!!

    Sep 25, 2004
    It's better to have the letter and not need it, than to need it and not have it!!

    When we were flying to Orlando the US Customs Officer at the airport requested that I produce a letter from my DH giving me permission to have DD out of the country. And my DD was 15 at the time! I was grateful that I had one to hand to her, because I'm not certain we would have been permitted entry to the US otherwise.

    I used a form letter that I got off a Canadian Government website: http://www.voyage.gc.ca/main/before/consent_letter-en.asp

    We have a friend who is a Crown Lawyer and we had him sign it as a witness, so I can't see any reason why an OPP couldn't witness the letter as well.
  6. JCD

    JCD Earning My Ears

    Jul 16, 2006
    When we went drove over the boarder the other year we where told the letter needed to be notorized. Now that being said my oldest traveled with her Aunt and Uncle and they let them go through while we where still waiting in line to pass. The customs agent asked my wife if the child in the car up frontf was hers. Never onced asked for the kids ID's. Like everything betterto have it then not.
  7. zookeeper

    zookeeper Mouseketeer

    Aug 17, 2005
    I cross the Windsor/Detroit border at least once a week with all the kids by myself and, in the 9 + years I've had kids, I've never been asked to verify that DH thinks it's OK to cross the border. The most they've ever done is question the kids to make sure that I am their mother and one time a customs officer asked me to name all 5 kids and tell him who was the oldest and the youngest. It was kind of like answering questions on a game show. I wanted him to ask me more so I could win something! :rotfl:

    However, both my brother and my male cousin were questioned when taking their own kids over the border without their wives so maybe they are more leary about men taking kids over.
  8. huggles_xo

    huggles_xo Earning My Ears

    Apr 3, 2006
    My daughter and I leave for Orlando in 2 weeks. I did up a letter and sent it to her father (he lives in Ontario) so that he could take it to a lawyer to have it notarized. When he did, the lawyer said save yourself a few dollars, you can have anyone witness it. When he called and told me this I went to the website to verify this and this is what it states
    "Although anyone can witness/sign these letters, it is advisable to have the consent letter certified, stamped or sealed by an official who has the authority to administer an oath or solemn declaration (ie. a commissioner for oaths, notary public, lawyer, etc.) so that the validity of the letter will not be questioned."
    So I hope that lawyer is correct cause all my ex did was get the neighbor to witness it and put their address on it.
  9. mommytodarlings

    mommytodarlings Mouseketeer

    Jun 2, 2006
    I would get a letter to take with me.

    Better to be safe than sorry.

    Unfortunately, it depends on the border guard you get.

    I had a friend whose dh was in the US on business for a month. She was taking their dd down for a visit for a few days. At the airport, they asked for a letter, which she didn't have. She called her dh in the US and had the agent talk to him. That was not good enough for them, they wanted a letter stating he gave her permission to leave the country with dd.

    He was able to get one and fax it to them, but in time for her to catch her flight. She had to then wait for another flight.

    It can be very frustrating crossing the border.
  10. auroraarielella

    auroraarielella Mouseketeer

    Mar 18, 2005
    I'm from US and have had the reverse happen when taking my children to visit my parents in Ontario. Both ways at the Thousand Island Bridge this past summer they wanted to see the notarized letter from my husband, their father. So it is better safe than sorry. Unfortunately, non-custodial parent kidnapping is the most common form of kidnapping, and getting the children out of the country (whichever one) makes it easier to get away......
  11. ado121

    ado121 DIS Veteran

    Oct 28, 2005
    hi there

    not sure if this has been answered yet, but i can from the canada customs prespective, i am an inspector.

    we highly recommend a letter, type written, even notarized. but we can't inforce that. in the letter give a contact number of where your dh will be at the time you are crossing, that way if there is any issue, the inspector can call him.

    i have heard of inspectors that don't even look at id. and yet others expect the notarized letter, sealed, stamped. and all that.

    it is officers discretion. so it can vary.

    i believe and am a strong supporter of our missing children program. one can never be too careful. if your child is of speaking age, that might be good enough. the inspector can ask your child where daddy is. if the child is non speaking....more precautions are taken.

    to alleviate any delay, i would get a type written letter, hand signed with a contact number.

    and put yourself in the customs inspectors shoes if they ask alot of questions....alot of us are parents and we are only asking the questions to protect the children, all over the world.

  12. SuAnne

    SuAnne Mouseketeer

    Sep 9, 1999
    Since my ex-DH is very uncooperative, I always travel with dd with my court papers which state that I have full custody. Going into the US I have never been asked for anything, but have been asked about 3 times coming back into Canada when she was younger, and all at airports. I showed them the custody doc and they were fine with that.

    Coming back from Orlando another time , I had both dd and my niece with me and I did have to show the letter my sister had given my stating my niece had their permission to travel with me.

    We go back and forth from Sarnia to Port Huron quite a bit for shopping and have never been asked for anything on either side, but we always have our passports and my custody document with us.
  13. KerriMc

    KerriMc DIS Veteran

    Jan 3, 2004
    Wow! Thanks for all of your information. I have typed up a letter and we are going to take it into the station to my dad. We will have one of the "guys" sign as our witness and they can stamp it for us. That should be good enough.

    I have to admit that I thought my mom was a little ... ummm ... over cautious? .... so I am soooo glad I came here and asked you guys!! I learned something new (as did my dh!).

    Thanks so much ... :thumbsup2


Share This Page