ABD in December

There was only one thing that I can say was less than totally magical during Christmas in Germany...
Christmas Eve Dinner was... very pretty... but if you like more than a half a carrot, 3 leaves from a brussle sprout (yeah... 3 leaves from ONE brussle sprout) and a steak the size of the palm of a 5 or 6 year old's hand... you better stock up on things to snack on before that day. If you are a 17 year old boy and you DON'T stock up... be prepared to be hungry... period...
Everything else was incredibly magical.
Got to see fields where hops are grown...
Snow (and freaking cold) in many places and the most wonderful Christmas Markets you can imagine. I could have done without the rather nasty hot mulled wine... but hey... the food was fabulous!!!
:surfweb:

So, how cold is cold? I live in Florida so cold to me is 70! Are you talking
30, 40, 50 degrees.

ABD has an Austalia trip around Christmas. The average day time temperature at Uluru in Dec is 98! So that would be a bit more like summer in Orlando. :) There are trips to Peru, Costa Rica and South Africa too. I've thought about doing one of these myself, but DS is all emotional about being at home for Christmas. And airfare tends to be higher.

I guess my kids are old enough that I was thinking a nice trip with tons of memories would be a great Christmas present. I'm really just trying to go on an ABD and finding if there is another good alternative time to go besides summer.

NINETY EIGHT in Australia... geeze...

Germany wasn't that warm...

The day we landed was during 'the big storm'... and the big storm was pretty much there too... it was.... 14 when we landed (below 0 Celsius) and that whole day never broke freezing... the next day I think was below freezing the whole day too. We ended up buying wool hats and wool gloves and stuff in the Hidelberg christmas market. The bus driver was really amazed (go Rudy... he was wonderful) at how cold it was... that is abnormal. It often snows, but isn't often way cold...

The rest of the week was... cold... (my daughter who doesn't remember a western PA winter froze most of the week and was glad we made her get a... gasp... warm rather than fashionable... coat) probably high 30s to low 40s.

they have mulled hot cider that is better than the Glühwein (which is apparently not SUPPOSED to have to taste good... it is hot and by the time you get warm you shouldn't care that it is kind of nasty). OH... and booths that sell the most heavenly sausages... you have to often wait in line for them but they are SO worth it!!!

OH... and Germany over Christmas means that in Rothenburg you can get pastries Schneeballen that you have to smash to eat (they are solid with pieces of dough... kind of taste like sweeter pie crust... and will apparently last for a year if you don't have a 17 year old boy). There are things you can only see and taste over christmas...

OH... and the alps (Cindarella's castle) were snowy and pretty but not really REAL cold.

I guess my kids are old enough that I was thinking a nice trip with tons of memories would be a great Christmas present. I'm really just trying to go on an ABD and finding if there is another good alternative time to go besides summer.

Me too. I've looked at Christmas, spring break and fall break. Except for the few at Christmas, ABD doesn't offer anything except a few adult only trips in Oct and nothing in March when we have spring break. That was one of the things I put on my wish list thread.

Latest posts

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Our Dreams Unlimited Travel Agents will assist you in booking the perfect Disney getaway, all at no extra cost to you. Get the most out of your vacation by letting us assist you with dining and park reservations, provide expert advice, answer any questions, and continuously search for discounts to ensure you get the best deal possible.

CLICK HERE

facebook twitter