Abandoned Attractions

I'm only on page 21... but this is honestly the BEST thread i have ever read. I don't get into history at all... it bores the heck out of me.. but Disney history is a MUCH different story. I don't think I've ever been so intrigued about something before! I'm learning so many things! It's all so exciting and overwhelming all at the same time! I wish I could continue reading to the end but I should save some for later!

Wow. Okay. So lets think about what I've seen...

My favorite part about this thread has to be the link of the guys who snuck over to Discovery Island! Holy God I can't believe they did that!! We're watching National Treasure in Economics right now and it reminded me of that big time! I can't believe the guys didn't get encountered by gators or anything when they swam over... or even Disney security! Did they even care? Or find out? I mean it's on the internet so who knows!

That Yesterland site is fantastic. I read about the Wonders of Life Pavilion.. and I know I went there when I was in about 2nd or 3rd grade. Seeing the pictures and such... I am actually extremely disappointed that this is closed. I wish I could have experienced it one last time. It looks so cute and fun inside! ughhh I hate that I had to miss out on that! I really really wonder why it closed down... it seems like a strange occurrence to me.

I never knew about the upstairs room at the Imagination Pavilion! That's just awesome. I wish I could go up there!

So is the Animation Hotel where the deserted Pop buildings were? Because that would just be a very smart thing for them to do. It's a shame they left them there... that whole thing just intrigued me so much. Wow.

And I wish I could have gone on those drop off slides at river country! They look SO fun!! Blizzard Beach or Typhoon Lagoon YOU SHOULD MAKE ONE OF THOSE!!

You know... I think I would have enjoyed participating in the Disney Institute. That seems really fun to me. I think it would only be good for like veterans though who have been to disney a countless amount of times. If you only have one trip though.. your time would obviously be better spent at the parks.

And LOL the 1987 Vacation Channel Youtube video was AWESOME!! I was like... oh my goshhh how funny! :rotfl:

Where was the Disney Inn? Like what is it now? :confused3

BEST THREAD EVER! Even though it's super old I am SO glad it got bumped back up. It literally made my day. Thank you!! :lovestruc

this is so interesting.
I am not anywhere close to reading every single page. haha. I think the art of animation value resort is supposed to be where the legendary years is supposed to be. On the disney webpage for Art of Animation, it said it is planned to be by espn and hollywood, which is where pop century is. :idea: Omg i have so many idea of what discovery island and river country could be. Maybe they can just clean up and rebuilt(the same as it used to be, like same structure and everything) all the wooden parts and such in river country. Then they can put concrete on where the water goes. Then bring in sanitized mud and normal water. Then it can be opened as a tribute or something that reminds everyone of the old disney.
As for discovery island, at least send gentle people to clean it up. Take away all the hazardious parts. Maybe even make structures and shelters/ play areas for the animals that live there. So it is a natural habitat, just man-made natural looking structures to give it a more realisitic value. People do not have to be able to go there, just make it better for animals. :yay:
I wonder when/if i do the disney college thing if they would take my ideas. If only i had connections to the head people.

This by no means is an abandoned "attraction". But I believe WDW did away with the Mickey shaped plate that kid's meals were served in? I loved those plates! We would always bring them home, and are down to our last two. My boys love having me use them for lunches, etc.

They did do away with them - and I agree - I brought them home and used them also - great for ketchup in one ear, veggie in one ear, and chicken in the big spot!!! The plate made it worth the cost!

What about the Stitch stage in Tomorrowland - or is that where they are putting the new holiday show?
Does the Animation Studio count? The Backlot tour? (I haven't been in a while, but I understand it's a shadow of it's former self. What about the Drew Carey Sounds Dangerous? Is Narnia still open?
Not sure what's being done with the Pocohontas and Friends stage.

It would be good to use the stage in tommorrowland to be used with a buzz lightyear space ranger show or somthing and disney could get a zurg costume and have buzz take down zurg and then have a bit of fun with stitch thrown in or somthing it would be brilliant and all the kids would love it because toy story and stitch are their generation.

animation studio? i had hours of fun in their learning to draw goofey.

the backlot tour? it has the roger rabbit steam roller and herbie and stuff hehe

drew carey talk about a snooze fest why not turn it into a child friendly comedy club or....somthing

and yes... narnia is still open good for piccys of the room if the cast member allows you too but... it is stupid and i didnt get it as they just showed u highlights from prince caspian?? not that fun disney should burn it to the ground i mean even a high school musical or camp rock show would be better than this lol

pocohontas is gone???? noooooo i want the small talking willow stree back lol

It has changed names a few times now. :goodvibes

It was originally The Golf Resort, then it became The Disney Inn. For a while there it had a Snow White theme. The military eventually purchased it and it is now Shades of Green. http://www.shadesofgreen.org/

We stayed there years ago when it was the Golf Resort. Back then, it was the cheapest hotel on property (no Value Resorts). It was our first time to WDW.

We actually walked from the Golf Resort to MK. We didn't know any better, and I didn't see any reason to wait for a bus when I was just going "over yonder".

I did wonder why there were no sidewalks and why the people in the bus were giving us funny looks! :eek:

I just learned that the Skyway at Fantasyland is being demolished. I know, I know, it was abandoned in 1999. But it was a pretty corner of MK that I always looked forward to walking past. Lots of "Snow White" atmosphere. :sad1:

http://www.wdwradio.com/forums/walt...44-fantasyland-skyway-station-demolished.html

That has been gone for quite a few months now. When I was there last, in October of 2010, it was mostly gone and the renovations (restrooms) close to complete.

That has been gone for quite a few months now. When I was there last, in October of 2010, it was mostly gone and the renovations (restrooms) close to complete.

I think you are talking about the Skyway terminal in Tomorrowland, next to Space Mountain. The upper floor was gone when we were there, also in October of 2010, but the restrooms were open. News of plans for demolition of Fantasyland Skyway terminal, that Swiss-looking building in the woods next to IASW, is more recent, and I think the building was still there as late as March 2011.

wdwskywayterminal.jpg

I think you are talking about the Skyway terminal in Tomorrowland, next to Space Mountain. The upper floor was gone when we were there, also in October of 2010, but the restrooms were open. News of plans for demolition of Fantasyland Skyway terminal, that Swiss-looking building in the woods next to IASW, is more recent, and I think the building was still there as late as March 2011.

Right, the TL skyway work is already done (I've got a pic of it here). The swiss house FL end is supposedly going to be demolished to relocate restrooms that are currently next to Peter Pan's Flight, so they can expand the queue (perhaps with a nextgen design).

Thanks for the picture of TL Skyway building. It's pretty utilitarian looking now.

Here's an interesting website talking about plans for demolition of the Fantasyland Skyway terminal, construction of new restrooms in its place, closing current restrooms next to Peter Pan's Flight, then expanding into former restroom area for expanded ride queue. Plus plans involve moving the main walkway to the other side of Yankee Trader (closer to HM). That would surely improve traffic flow in that area.

http://www.discussionkingdom.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1672

great thread. I'm attempting to read through it all and it's so amazing to see the old pictures. :thumbsup2

:thumbsup2 I agree what a waste of Space this is...:rolleyes1

I disagree with that statement. It was made for children of all ages to get the experience of driving a car. Thats where and how my brother learned to drive his car! I remember the first time I went on it,I was about 8 or 9. I remember I couldnt reach the peddles and my dad had to go on with me a keep pressing the peddle and I remember how I could NEVER stay on the track! lol! Great memories there!

I have recently obtained the address of the Main person who controls Walt Disney World and all of WDW Imageneering. Im going to send him a nice letter asking "What's the current state of Wonders of Life? Will there be a new attraction with a different name and same theme,or the same attraction just re-furbished or a completley new attraction?"

So far all I really know is when they hold the F&WF and the F&GF , when they have it in there,they block off all the attractions that are still there with a temporary wall. All I know is that Body Wars and Cranium Command has been FULLY removed WITH the big double DNA outside. Also, they started to paint the inside mute colors such as whites and light-pale greens. They could turn it into an attraction.We could get lucky with it when the FE is over in MK.I helped bring back Captain EO by writing to them everyday and they brought it back to WDW,so I may be able to do this one too! I may even ask about Horizons and if there are plans to bring it back,EVER.

I also got the Imagineers address where the head of builders etc., is there..Im also going to send them a letter and ask them about the current state of WOL. One of them should be able to give me an answer and when I get one I'll report back to this form. They may not even tell me because they may want to keep a secret and not tell anybody until its almost done (if they do make a new attraction etc.,)

Latest posts

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Our Dreams Unlimited Travel Agents will assist you in booking the perfect Disney getaway, all at no extra cost to you. Get the most out of your vacation by letting us assist you with dining and park reservations, provide expert advice, answer any questions, and continuously search for discounts to ensure you get the best deal possible.

CLICK HERE

facebook twitter