A very disappointing visit - results of my email to DLR 7/9

Status
Not open for further replies.
I totally agree! Due to my husbands busy work schedule we usually only go to Disneyland for one day trips, 3 or 4 times per year. The key to enjoying a one day visit is having an open mind and going with the flow. We've been when favorite rides are down, when its literally shoulder to shoulder people, when our kids or ourselves have gotten sick....we keep the plans loose and don't focus on any one thing. We also have a rule that we don't get bummed out for more than 10 minutes when something doesn't go our way. Sulk a bit and then move on! And I know due to different circumstances in each family this is not always possible for everyone, but we can generally, even on a crowded day, accomplish everything we want. Including most major attractions. Again, this is done with good planning but also flexibility.

Absolutely, I agree with everything you said here.

You make it out way more than I do, even though we live in the same place, lol. :thumbsup2

...If only positive reviews are wanted here on the DIS forums then make that clear in the rules.
That seems to be the unwritten rule for this particular DIS forum :scared:

While this restricts me from making some negative comments, I enjoy the overall positive tone of this forum.
I find MiceChat to be generally more negative, but still quite informative :goodvibes

To put things in prospective:
I also frequent a few car forums, where the vast majority of post are negative :laughing:

It's true that negativity is discouraged on here. I may have gotten miffed at someone once and received an infraction, lol.

At any rate, it's a bit refreshing; there is so much negativity on the internet in general.

It's true that negativity is discouraged on here. I may have gotten miffed at someone once and received an infraction, lol.
At any rate, it's a bit refreshing; there is so much negativity on the internet in general.
I agree, this is a Happy Place :thumbsup2

Your positive comment contrasts with your Oswald avatar :rotfl:

I'm happy for you that you didn't run into any ride breakdowns. The fact that you (and so many others) know the Disney code for an unscheduled closure says it all.

I know a lot of you disagree and I respect your right to do so, but to me, the number of rides that were closed (4 headliners that day at various times), the length of some of the shut downs (RSR from 10am to after 9pm) and the attractions operating at less than capacity during busy season (TSMM, Soarin, POTC*) is completely unacceptable.

*POTC had several boats going out empty. There were white rags tied to the front to indicate to the CMs that they were not to be used.

Yes, but this all happens at your home resort, WDW all the time, too. (For example, capacity management is why World Showcase opens later than Future World.) I don't understand why you're holding DLR to a different standard. Last May during a 5-day visit to WDW I witnessed roped-off ride vehicles or rows in MK several times on the PeopleMover, Haunted Mansion, and Buzz Lightyear. I encountered three lengthy 101s on Splash including having to be evacuated from my log and walked back down the first lift hill. I encountered the secondary loading areas not being used on Space Mountain several times, though it was a very busy time (Memorial Day weekend). Not to mention half-empty boats being dispatched on Pirates during the same peak/crowded period.

That said, you also need to understand that WDW and DLR have completely different visitor bases. TDO operates WDW for the once-in-a-lifetime visitor. TDA operates DLR for locals, because SoCal residents make up the majority of visitors. That's not to say it isn't annoying when a ride goes down or when capacity is being managed. But you said you did your research and knowing this fact is a key part of understanding DLR.

One great example is Space Mountain. MK's refurb lasted nine months with a lot of planned improvements canceled in order to reopen the ride as quickly as possible. That's also why holiday versions of Space, HM, and iasw don't exist at MK. At DL, Space was closed for a solid year and a half during it's major and much more comprehensive refurb, and in late summer HM and Space, and a month later iasw, will close for a few weeks for their holiday overlays. At DLR, you have to be flexible. That's just the way it works.

But again, you still have to be flexible at WDW, too. Rides go 101 there all the time. Grousing about that happening at DLR and calling it unacceptable doesn't reflect the reality of your home Disney resort. Maybe because you go there more often, you just don't notice it. But as a first-time visitor, I certainly found the things I noted above to be annoying to my WDW touring plan. But I chose to make the best of it.

There were many, many other things you could have done, ridden, and experienced at DLR instead of heading back to your hotel and staying there most of the day. From my perspective, you looked a gift horse in the mouth here. I think that's why there's not as much sympathy about this situation as there might otherwise have been. You treated DLR as if beyond four favorite WDW rides it was nothing special, and you lost out because of it. No room full of DLR vets is going to be impressed with that course of action. I really don't know what you're expecting here.

This same thing happened to my sister in law when she went to the first 24 hour event. She wrote Disney a letter or email (not 100% sure which one) about all the rides that were down. Someone called her from Disney and asked her about the closures...the told them the approx. times and the lady confirmed all of them cuz apparently they keep track. She just had to show proof that she was there (visa statement or ticket) that day and they issued her a free ticket for her and her husband. I would call or write them.

Yes, but this all happens at your home resort, WDW all the time, too. (For example, capacity management is why World Showcase opens later than Future World.) I don't understand why you're holding DLR to a different standard. Last May during a 5-day visit to WDW I witnessed roped-off ride vehicles or rows in MK several times on the PeopleMover, Haunted Mansion, and Buzz Lightyear. I encountered three lengthy 101s on Splash including having to be evacuated from my log and walked back down the first lift hill. I encountered the secondary loading areas not being used on Space Mountain several times, though it was a very busy time (Memorial Day weekend). Not to mention half-empty boats being dispatched on Pirates during the same peak/crowded period.

That said, you also need to understand that WDW and DLR have completely different visitor bases. TDO operates WDW for the once-in-a-lifetime visitor. TDA operates DLR for locals, because SoCal residents make up the majority of visitors. That's not to say it isn't annoying when a ride goes down or when capacity is being managed. But you said you did your research and knowing this fact is a key part of understanding DLR.

One great example is Space Mountain. MK's refurb lasted nine months with a lot of planned improvements canceled in order to reopen the ride as quickly as possible. That's also why holiday versions of Space, HM, and iasw don't exist at MK. At DL, Space was closed for a solid year and a half during it's major and much more comprehensive refurb, and in late summer HM and Space, and a month later iasw, will close for a few weeks for their holiday overlays. At DLR, you have to be flexible. That's just the way it works.

But again, you still have to be flexible at WDW, too. Rides go 101 there all the time. Grousing about that happening at DLR and calling it unacceptable doesn't reflect the reality of your home Disney resort. Maybe because you go there more often, you just don't notice it. But as a first-time visitor, I certainly found the things I noted above to be annoying to my WDW touring plan. But I chose to make the best of it.

There were many, many other things you could have done, ridden, and experienced at DLR instead of heading back to your hotel and staying there most of the day. From my perspective, you looked a gift horse in the mouth here. I think that's why there's not as much sympathy about this situation as there might otherwise have been. You treated DLR as if beyond four favorite WDW rides it was nothing special, and you lost out because of it. No room full of DLR vets is going to be impressed with that course of action. I really don't know what you're expecting here.

Exactly.

With the exception that the Space Mtn major refurb of 2003-2005 lasted two-and-a-half years ... not one-and-a-half. ;)

I absolutely agree that some folks become so enamored with and so knowledgeable about their home resort that they lose perspective and judge another resort by a different standard. How many days go by when a major ride goes down at each of the four WDW parks and no one knows because no one visits all four in the same day? As I noted in my earlier post, my first visit to two of the WDW parks could have been considered a complete failure.

:wizard:

First off, I don't consider WDW my "home" resort. We have been several times yes because it's easier to get to but we are not annual visitors and we spend most of our vacations elsewhere. There seems to be a bit of a reflexive reaction on this forum to defend DLR by pointing out flaws of WDW.

Secondly, my disappointment with DLR really had nothing to do with any comparisons I was making to WDW. The only references I made to WDW were that I liked the DL POTC better and that I had never encountered so many break downs in previous visits to WDW and Universal. I referenced these because they are the only other similar venues we have been to. If you honestly think the number of unscheduled closures at DL is acceptable then that makes me question your objectivity.

Third, we left the park to have a quick swim to cool off during the hottest part of the day and then had dinner before heading back. We were away a few hours at most. We didn't stay there most of the day but thanks for making up your own items to pick about.

Fourth, we did make the best of it and I never said we hadn't enjoyed our day. I said we were disappointed about the breakdowns and I commented that in this instance, the cost of the PHs was a bitter pill to swallow.

And finally, to address your last comments, I was not looking to impress anyone nor was I expecting anything other than to share what happened. I posted about our day in a discussion forum so it could be discussed. I thank those of you who provided constructive feedback and suggestions. To those who reflexively attacked, thanks for that as we'll.

Thanks for sharing your experience. I am sorry that it was disappointing. I hate when that happens! I have had bad experiences (and good) at both parks. But I still go back----I love it too much to not keep going. :rolleyes:

I don't blame you AT ALL for being disappointed. You spent a lot of money for one day. It is your right to be bummed out. It is so frustrating when the things you want to do are closed unexpectedly. Sure there are other things to do but it doesn't mean it isn't still upsetting. Everyone has their opinions and recommendations. I don't have anything else to say but I totally sympathize! :flower3:

I was not referring to you with that statement. If you look back through the thread, you will see several posts that added nothing to the conversation other than to call me miserable and a complainer or to blame the "negative vibes" that we were supposedly throwing off as the reason we had a "miserable" day- which I also never said we had.

I'm sorry if my initial post didn't detail our entire day, just the issues, so many posters just assumed that we had been pouting and unhappy while there and that we were only focused on the negative. That was not the case. I tried to keep the original post on topic which was the breakdowns.

For the record, we enjoyed many things at DLR. DCA is a very nice park and Carsland is like actually being in the movie, very well done. We had a nice morning there and were reminded of my dds toddler years when she loved "Lightning the Queen" and all things Cars. We shared a Dole Whip at DL and enjoyed the shops. We chatted with many friendly people, most of them locals, and had some laughs with other first timers while waiting in standby for IJ. Unfortunately, none of this really changes our disappointment in the rides we hoped to enjoy being closed, especially RSR for 10+ hours.

This will be my last response on this thread unless I hear back from Disney in which case I'll update for those who may be interested.

(snip)

This will be my last response on this thread unless I hear back from Disney in which case I'll update for those who may be interested.

Mine, too. But it is worth noting many of us in this forum have pointed out repeatedly that DLR *will* respond to you. Guest Services responds to all visitor email. Saying "unless I hear back from Disney" makes it clear you don't trust the advice you've gotten here from people who know DLR very well. That's unfortunate.

Now back to planning our next DLR trip...

I love, love, love DLR, but I have a growing concern about the ride breakdowns. The last time I visited, We were on my favorite ride, Peter Pan, and it was broken down for 45 min of my Magic Morning. The lights were on in the ride and we were stuck in a boat. Took all the magic out of that ride. The same day, Toad was down, Alice had problems, we were stuck for a few min on Splash, HM, and Pirates. This is too much in one day if you ask me. Other days I felt very lucky, I was able to ride so many great rides in a row without any problems. We plan to return summer after next, but I do hope if there is something that can be done to maintain the rides, that it can be done. :goodvibes Anyway, I love this board so much, and Disneyland is my favorite place in the world, and I don't think that will change!

Midnightred

I must admit that I did find that the number of rides breaking down during our visit in June was rather high compared to what I have personally experienced on visits to WDW. That being said, we just rolled with the punches over our trip and luckily got to ride those rides when they came back online. Over 4 days Toad, Indy, Big Thunder Mountain, Toy Story Midway Mania, and Radiator Springs Racers were all down at some point and some multiple times or for an extended period of time. TSMM and RSR were down the entire early entry hour an then some on our very first day in the parks. A very helpful CM gave us one of those very special FastPasses which could be used on any ride but RSR. We held on to it all day and used it to ride TSMM that evening once it was back online. We just used that early entry time to do other rides. We walked right on to California Screamin while my mom took my DS on the carousel and did the rider swap for Soarin without much delay. I think the CMs tried to manage the guests at offline rides as well as can be expected as those situations arose over the 4 days we were there. We knew going in that there would be rides being refurbished while we were there. I was really disappointed not to be able to ride Space Mountain or Alice, but we knew in advance that they would be down while we were there and we had to book when we did or not go at all, so a few closed rides weren't going to keep us from going! Initially we were planning on 3 days in the park, but we added an extra day once I realized just how many rides and shows were available between the two parks. Best decision ever! There are a handful of things we didn't get to on this trip and I'm okay with that. There's far more we did get to do than not. My only other prior trip to DLR had been in May 2011, pre Carsland, and we only had about 1 1/2 days in the parks. I went with my cousin and her kids for a class trip that her son's class had won for Disney Planet Challenge. We only got to do a fraction of what was available but were so glad to be there! Some of our time was spent doing things related to Planet Challenge so that cut into our time but it was so worth it. The kids were honored during a stage show in front of the castle and rode on a special float down the parade route prior to the start of the regular parade. It was a once in a lifetime magical experience even though we "missed out" on many rides while we were there. This last trip was magical, too. Watching my DS experience Disneyland and DCA was wonderful! Did we have some disappointments and hiccups during the trip? Yes. Would it be harder to get past those disappointments and hiccups had we only had one day in the parks? Definitely. I look at the things we missed out on as a great reason to visit again. It will be many years down the line before we head out west again, but we will go back one day. Our next Disney trips will be WDW as we are much closer to WDW and a huge family trip is on the horizon in the next year or so (14 of us went last time) and my dad promised the kids another WDW trip like that one! It was on that last trip that TestTrack was down all the time. I never got to ride it since the renovation and that will be the first ride I hit at Epcot on the next trip! Well, if FastPass+ allows it!!! LOL

I think that is one thing that some people are forgetting in comparing DLR to WDW in terms of number of breakdowns. It's not necessarily that DLR has more, but that because there are so many more rides per park, they are more noticeable. With park hopping not being as easy at WDW, you may have no idea what's going on in the other 3 parks, where at DLR it's much more likely to encounter rides being down. It doesn't make the number higher though.

And I don't think Disney is perfect. I think there are things that can be improved, but I have to wonder what the solution is. All year, there have been complaints over the number of scheduled ride closures and their duration. On the flip side, there are people complaining about unscheduled ride closures. If these rides don't go down for true maintenance, they are going to break down during the day. But both options seem to upset people, so what is the right answer? I don't have it, but at this point Disney is a no win situation.

I know the OP has said she's isn't coming back for now, but I think she and a lot of people took some of us criticizing out of context. Most of us were encouraging her give it another go with some more days and better planning. I know she thinks she had researched it as best she could, but it sounds like there was a lot more she could have done. Would it have made the rides come back up magically - no - but it sounds like had she been patient, all of those rides that went down, that she HAD to get on, could have been done. Nobody disagreed with her frustration. We've all been there and we all understand. Her attitude about being fooled put many off as though this was done to ruin her trip.

We've been here 3 days, and I haven't seen a ride 101ed this trip. In fact, SPace and Alice came up early.

Yesterday, we arrived in the park at 11am. We rode Space, watched Mickey's Magical Map, rode Roger Rabbit, IASW, BTMRR, Pirates, Haunted Mansion, 2 rides on Splash, Indy (it was now 430), stopped to eat for 90 mins, then hit ToT, Screamin', TSMM, Swings, back to Cars Land for Racers and Maters, off to ice cream, over to Mermaid, and walked up to WoC before calling it a night.
Oops, I left some stuff off...

We rode Space, watched Mickey's Magical Map, rode Roger Rabbit, IASW, Tea Cups, Matterhorn, Alice, BTMRR, Pirates, Haunted Mansion, 2 rides on Splash, Indy (it was now 430), stopped to eat for 90 mins, then hit ToT, Screamin', TSMM, Swings, back to Cars Land for Racers and Maters, off to ice cream, over to Mermaid, and walked up to WoC before calling it a night.

I'm happy for you that you didn't run into any ride breakdowns. The fact that you (and so many others) know the Disney code for an unscheduled closure says it all.

I know a lot of you disagree and I respect your right to do so, but to me, the number of rides that were closed (4 headliners that day at various times), the length of some of the shut downs (RSR from 10am to after 9pm) and the attractions operating at less than capacity during busy season (TSMM, Soarin, POTC*) is completely unacceptable.

*POTC had several boats going out empty. There were white rags tied to the front to indicate to the CMs that they were not to be used.
I have a real hard time believing RSR was down that entire time. If it was down til 9pm, I don't see them bringing it back up. Generally, if Racers goes down, it is rarely down for more than 20mins these days (compared to an hour each time when it first opened.) Yes, I know a 101 is ride went down. I've waited the 30 mins or so for my daughter to come off Matterhorn for a 101, cause by a family failing to load (they were arguing over who was riding where, didn't load quick enough, and the ride backed up...) I've watched families on BTMRR take their time loading, causing cascades. I've been on Racers when it has cascaded. We stopped AT the finish line. It was actually funny, but even that, we got to finish the ride 5 mins later. In my few hundred visits, I've been walked off 1 ride.

Soarin' operates only one side most mornings. They open the second side later in the morning. They also have previously rehabbed one side while running the other. I don't consider it a problem.

Toy Story sounds weird. They have a couple tracks, so knowing which side not to load on which vehicles would be hard. That said, all were operating fine this past week.

I haven't seen entire boats not being used on Pirates or the white towels, but I know they have problems with the back row, and don't load it later in the day.

While this may be true, it is up to Disney to find a better solution to the problem since it impacts their ability to provide a good experience. Rides closing due to bags, hats, sunglasses falling out of the vehicle? Take a page from Universal and enforce a no bags/loose items policy for those rides and provide lockers to store the items. Idiots trying to stand up during the ride? Change the rider restraints to make this a non factor. Even if it was the initial cause of the shutdown, I doubt that rider error can explain their inability to get RSR back online for over 10 hours.
Someone not securing their backpack and it falling off Screamin', onto the tracks?

RSR must have been something really major that day. I have friends who were in the park that day and they rode Racers, I will find out when they rode.

What shocked me this trip? Indy wasn't down any of the times we walked past it. THAT is news!

LizzyS said:
Absolutely, I agree with everything you said here.

You make it out way more than I do, even though we live in the same place, lol. :thumbsup2

I joke that we moved from the East Coast to a city with the possibility to get addicted to so much (gambling, partying) and we got hooked on Disneyland! We make that awful desert drive as often as we can!

With several people commenting about experiencing multiple ride breakdowns I'm starting to wonder if it's simply luck of the draw. I've been to DL a half dozen times in the past year and although it seems like I experience break downs at some point every trip none have been for more than an hour or 2 and I haven't seen more than one major down at any given time.

I'm usually more bummed about scheduled closures. BTMRR was down my first several trips, Indy was down a couple trips, Space was down the last trip, Grizzly has been down several trips, etc, etc, etc. For a place with maintenance issues they sure do a lot of scheduled maintenance.

I joke that we moved from the East Coast to a city with the possibility to get addicted to so much (gambling, partying) and we got hooked on Disneyland! We make that awful desert drive as often as we can!

Me too, I spend more money on Disney every month than I do on all the Vegas vices combined. The irony.

I've been trying to put this into perspective for a couple of days now.

Our family has done the LA to SF trip several times and it is a great trip, but, also a hard one to fit everything in. I know we included Disneyland (before CA) several times in our travels. I liken it to a trip from NYC to Maine. Yes, you can see and do a lot, but, you can't do and see it all in a weeks time. You don't get the flavor or the amount of enjoyment.

What I have learned, and I think that others in my family have learned, is that DLR isn't someplace that you can drop by for a day. It takes a couple of days to enjoy it. You just plain and simply don't get the WOW factor and you don't get the time to appreciate what Disney offers.

I can certainly see that if you wanted to drop by for a day and hit all the headliners and the majority of them were down for part of the day, that you would be disappointed. However, personally, I think expectations could have been a little out of line. I can see how expectation that are out of line can easily happen though. You have been to WDW, you know what you like and DLR is much smaller and easier to hop back and forth. I think it is an easy trap to fall into. I can certainly see how it can lead to disappointment. Some of it could be the downed attractions, but, I would guess the majority of the disappointment could have been the lack of time and the expectations.

I hope that you will give DLR another try and a couple of days time.

This is an... interesting thread. ;)

I would be disappointed if I was the OP, too. She was willing to do the park hopping, they wanted to ride the headliners, and this shouldn't have been an issue. Now, had someone come here complaining that they couldn't get in all those rides in one day, or that when the rides were down, there was nothing else to do, that would be one thing. But the complaint is that the rides were down. That's a legitimate disappointment. I'd be bummed, too.

One difference for me- I would have gone and said something at City Hall. There's not much point in an email about it now because what can they do to make it right? If they give you a ticket, you would have to fly back to use it. :confused3 I'm not sure what would make it better at this point for you? What are you looking for Disney to do?

I don't think you were made a fool of, though. Stuff happens. It's just life. We've had bad days at WDW and DLR. As someone who visited DLR for only one day on my first two trips there, I don't really recommend a one day visit. I think it really sets expectations way too high for a lot of people. I went with the attitude of whatever we do, we do, and that's great. We had a lot of fun that way. But I had zero plans or expectations except to have fun. But one day was all you had, and you tried to make it work. It's a shame that the rides being down screwed up your plans, but DLR didn't set out to do that on purpose, so I don't agree with the statement "being made a fool of." It really doesn't apply in this situation. It was simply a bad luck day with rides going down. If the possibility of rides going down is going to throw off your day, I would definitely not recommend amusement parks. It is simply a part of operating these places to have rides go down, sometimes, and DLR is absolutely no different. You happened to hit lousy odds and managed to experience multiple rides down, which really is beyond Disney's control- they cannot help that RSR went down at the same time as BTMRR, or whatever. One has nothing to do with the other, and there is no control for that.

I'm not going to try to talk you into coming out again because frankly, that's one less person to crowd up my favorite park. :rotfl: Just kidding. Sort of. ;) But having visited both WDW and DLR many times each, DLR reigns as my favorite park. Both places have their flaws and are far from perfect, so I'm not the type who can't take criticism of either place. But I do think your experience at DLR was a one-off situation. Hopefully, you get the resolution you are looking for from Disney when you email them.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Our Dreams Unlimited Travel Agents will assist you in booking the perfect Disney getaway, all at no extra cost to you. Get the most out of your vacation by letting us assist you with dining and park reservations, provide expert advice, answer any questions, and continuously search for discounts to ensure you get the best deal possible.

CLICK HERE

facebook twitter